Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I use all the basic signs pretty frequently but I have not found the alternates useful at all, to the point I respec'd out of them. They take too long.
Alt yrden is slightly useful if you set it up before a battle.

Right now im doing medium armor, fast attack skills with one greater red, poison Blades and extra toxicity, and then the rest in all the basic signs. Very flexible and versatile and poison Blades absolutely destroys bosses. Mixing Griffin and wolf armor and using either Griffin or Feline sword as per level. If I do a NG+ I might try an adrenaline build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Supreme Allah posted:

Im a quen spamming bitch boy so i never used Yrden too much except when I panicked.. but the alternate Yrden looks really useful, especially for crowd control (the one where it keeps shooting little yrden lasers at enemies).

Quen is for cowards, it's true.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JetsGuy posted:

Quen is for cowards, it's true.

I have _192% sign intensity with seven (7) Greater Quen runes right now. I don't even have to dodge. I just soak it up. It's amazing.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Should I be dismantling stuff I don't need or selling it? 2 gold for a fancy sword seems like a rip.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Taffer posted:

I found a place of power that wasn't marked on the map as an unknown POI. Is that common? Also Kaer Morhen is loving gorgeous.
I think most POI markers come from hitting up the nearest notice board, so that can certainly happen if you don't beeline for them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Robo Reagan posted:

Should I be dismantling stuff I don't need or selling it? 2 gold for a fancy sword seems like a rip.

Dismantle it if it gives you 'dark iron', dimeritium, silver or meteorite ingots. Otherwise just sell the stuff.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Dismantle it if it gives you 'dark iron', dimeritium, silver or meteorite ingots. Otherwise just sell the stuff.

sell it to merchants that sell the same gear/ type of item

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah you actually get better prices from the appropriate vendors.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Roughly how far through the game am I when I've just done the quest where you go to the secret garden and lift the curse on that werewolf Morkvarg ?

Hoping to wrap this game up by New Years.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
About half way through the main quest if you've done the zones in the suggested order?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo balls.

I've done most things in a fairly scattered order, a lot of side quests and contracts etc, the main story quest I'm on was marked as level 15 but it was greyed out since I'm 20 or 21 just now.

I know it's been said multiple times before but jesus what a loving huge game.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

No he's like 2/3ds done IIRC.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It's somewhere in between, big showdown at Kaer Morhen is couple quests away and that's about two thirds.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Every time I use yrden against ghosts if there's more than one they flip the gently caress out and combo the gently caress out of poor Geralt. It almost makes me want to ignore their weakness because of it, though they usually don't do too much damage.
That's just their attack pattern, it's not exclusive to using Yrden. You should cast Yrden, the moment the ghost teleports you should roll, then after the 2-3 attacks the ghost does in the air you roll back and destroy it while it stands in Yrden. If there are more ghosts attacking you then you do just one hit this way and roll away because the other bastards are already teleporting into your position.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Nanomashoes posted:

No he's like 2/3ds done IIRC.

The Morkvarg stuff is pretty early on in Skellige isn't it? I was kind of assuming he hadn't done the King/Queen making stuff. Either way, there's still a lot of great stuff ahead of you, especially if you have the DLC.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Morkvarg stuff is pretty early on in Skellige isn't it? I was kind of assuming he hadn't done the King/Queen making stuff. Either way, there's still a lot of great stuff ahead of you, especially if you have the DLC.

I feel like I've not been on Skellige for a long time although I did do the subquest where you find a new ruler for the islands.

No DLC, more concerned about the main game before looking for extra's but with expansions in mind I could easily be playing this game at the end of 2016.

I probably should have figured I'm not that far through, I'm only at 24% progress according to the GoG Galaxy interface, I've put in like 45 hours though, it's nuts how much content of such a high quality is in this game.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I think you can mainline the game in 75 hours or so, but there are going to be quite a few story loose ends due to skipping side quests.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
First off, this game is slow as a dog on a PS4. Load times feel way too long.

Second, there appear to be a lot of undocumented control short cuts. If you stroke the touch pad, it brings up the map. Hold down on the touch pad, it brings up the inventory. Hold down on the up or down arrow, and it switches (as opposed to drinks) potions. Hold parry while hitting the right or left directionals, it changes the sign.

It would be nice if all of these were collected in one place, instead of loading screen tips and the like.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Gamespot has Hearts of Stone & gwent decks back and its half price

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/dlc/the-witcher-iii-wild-hunt-hearts-of-stone-gwent-card-bundle/126306

If for some reason you dont have HoS then get on the loving trolley.

I actually dont even like gwent. I still havent opened my packs. But it makes me feel better to own them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where do I find meteorite ore or ingots anyway? I need more to finish the Griffin armor but no one sells any of it.

Palpek thanks for the tip! I thought they were just counterattacking.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

RBA Starblade posted:

Where do I find meteorite ore or ingots anyway? I need more to finish the Griffin armor but no one sells any of it.

Palpek thanks for the tip! I thought they were just counterattacking.

You should be able to craft some, I can't recall if you need to buy the recipe first or not. But also, swords and armors are sometimes made of those materials, so check out the dismantle section the next time you visit a smith and you can get a good amount from that.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Seriously, where is my mobile/tablet Gwent port?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I think you can mainline the game in 75 hours or so, but there are going to be quite a few story loose ends due to skipping side quests.

idk how people take so long. i got through the game in about 40-50 hrs and that was with doing every single sidequest

i skipped gwent because it sucks

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007
You've played: 209 hours.

First go thru I gave up on side quests because I wanted to see post Isle of Mists and finish the main quest and see the story. Took 80 hours.

Second time, NG+ deathmarch. Died a ton before I switched swords + signs to swords + alchemy/oils/bombs + heavy armour. Did every side quest and found every non Skellige question mark, played everyone in Gwent, played everything again up to Isle of Mists, and did the expansion pack. Took 129 hours.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I really like Gwent. So there.

I do wish it didn't become so obscenely easy once you get a decent deck though. I quite liked the quest where you do the high stakes tournament because it at least felt challenging for once. Though I did that fairly early so even that could probably be walked with an endgame deck.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Supreme Allah posted:

Gamespot has Hearts of Stone & gwent decks back and its half price

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/dlc/the-witcher-iii-wild-hunt-hearts-of-stone-gwent-card-bundle/126306

If for some reason you dont have HoS then get on the loving trolley.

I actually dont even like gwent. I still havent opened my packs. But it makes me feel better to own them.

I beat the tutorial Gwent guy then got loving rolled by some random dude sitting in the palace and now I'm too scared to play Gwent

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

ThomasPaine posted:

I really like Gwent. So there.

I do wish it didn't become so obscenely easy once you get a decent deck though. I quite liked the quest where you do the high stakes tournament because it at least felt challenging for once. Though I did that fairly early so even that could probably be walked with an endgame deck.

There's a gameplay option for Gwent difficulty now. Haven't actually used it, but it's there.

Robo Reagan posted:

I beat the tutorial Gwent guy then got loving rolled by some random dude sitting in the palace and now I'm too scared to play Gwent

I think quite a few people have said they had trouble with that guy.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
well gently caress him he's an rear end in a top hat. i hope everyone in nilfgaard loving dies

e: It's also cool how Roache is a magical teleporting horse with the special ability to get stuck behind something after every teleport.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 30, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Try locating the traveling merchant on Skellige. The guy has some rare stuff on him including dimeritium which nobody else in the game sells.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Malcolm XML posted:

idk how people take so long. i got through the game in about 40-50 hrs and that was with doing every single sidequest

i skipped gwent because it sucks

I didn't skip gwent but I don't think that's a huge time sync. Did you do all the ?s

Because there's a bunch of sidequests you find in doing them all. Half the ! Quests I found doing those also.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So I just bought Hearts of stone and figured that I would use my old save, however when I try to talk to the runewright the game just crashes. Are there any known problems with using old saves for hearts of stone?

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 30, 2015

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

e: It's also cool how Roache is a magical teleporting horse with the special ability to get stuck behind something after every teleport.

This made me think of a horse with vernon roche's stupid hat turban thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Level 30 now, beat Imlerith.

Thinking of shifting to an adrenaline build with wolf school armor and Flood of Anger (I don't like heavy attacks so don't want to spec bear) but I can't find any good write-ups of such a build online. Any thoughts? Good idea / bad idea?

One thing that worries me a bit is I'm seeing g a number of posts about purported bugs with Flood of Anger -- Maribor forest not helping build adrenaline, permanent bugged boosts to sign intensity -- and I can't figure out if they have been patched or not.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can you change your Witcher school?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

Can you change your Witcher school?

No, but you can do two years at a local witching school before going off to one of the big 4 to make your tuition cheaper.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is there a collection of viable builds? Just got the game and it seems like sign build has been nerfed. Any fun/ good builds that I should try?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zotix posted:

Is there a collection of viable builds? Just got the game and it seems like sign build has been nerfed. Any fun/ good builds that I should try?

Light attack dodgy light armor guy with bombs and pretend you're playing Dark Souls mixed with Dragon's Dogma

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lord Tywin posted:

So I just bought Hearts of stone and figured that I would use my old save, however when I try to talk to the runewright the game just crashes. Are there any known problems with using old saves for hearts of stone?
No it should be fine. Try verifying the game's files I guess?

If you can't fix it don't feel too bad, runes are mostly underwhelming.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lord Tywin posted:

Are you on gog? If so uninstall the gog galaxy overlay DLC. That one can cause crashes when you're in any conversation randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zotix posted:

Everything is viable, even signs. It won't matter much early game anyway, you won't unlock enough abilities and slots to put together an actual coherent build until halfway through the game.

Play around with all the different tools and abilities in the tutorial zone (White Orchard) and make a build that fits your playstyle and what you find fun.

If you're playing on the two hardest difficulties, HP doesn't regen when you meditate. The Sun and Stars or whatever generic ability allows you to passively heal when there's sunlight, handy for the early levels.