Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The white rat is the leader because it's the smartest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The white rat is the leader because it's the smartest.

:eyepop:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

They are a bunch of backstabbing racial suprematists, sometime dressed in brown shirts, using mad science and causing problems for the German Empire because of how belligerent and ridiculously rascist they are, yes indeed. They are Nazis by any other name.

It's almost unsettling how people instantly conflate Jewish people and the racist imagery they have been saddled with.

So they use racial ideology to kick another race, dwarves, out of a land they claim as their own?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Nanomashoes posted:

So they use racial ideology to kick another race, dwarves, out of a land they claim as their own?

Yup. In case that's a serious question, yes, the Skavens did invade the poo poo out of various dwarven holdings, and in End Times, have launched a world spanning invasion to subjugate the "inferior races", reduce them into slavery and exterminate them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Nanomashoes posted:

So let me get this straight: The Skaven are a race of large-nosed literal vermin untermensch who go around stabbing people in the back and poisoning wells, causing problems for the German empire and whose presence in a certain location is necessary to bring about the end times?

i'm pretty sure they're supposed to be nazis, given all the mad science, poison gas, and their symbol used to look a hell of a lot more like a swastika (it was originally just a three-armed swastika)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Iceclaw posted:

They are a bunch of backstabbing racial suprematists, sometime dressed in brown shirts, using mad science and causing problems for the German Empire because of how belligerent and ridiculously rascist they are, yes indeed. They are Nazis by any other name.

It's almost unsettling how people instantly conflate Jewish people and the racist imagery they have been saddled with.

How anyone thinks they're supposed to be Jews and not Nazis when they literally have Stormvermin is beyond me.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
"Alright guys stay in a group and move towards the barrels" translates to "EVERYONE SCATTER" in dwarvish.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

How anyone thinks they're supposed to be Jews and not Nazis when they literally have Stormvermin is beyond me.

If your exposure to the empire is as an analogue to the Imperium of Man and their cities are named poo poo like Ubersreich, you can be forgiven for assuming the Empire are the Nazis at least.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When they're actually just 30 years war Germany.

As noted from their splendid hats and appetite for crushing civil war.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Well, it's Warhammer so everyone has a little bit of Nazism inside them. :gay:

But I'm pretty sure the Skaven are an intentional jab at 1980s British neo-Nazis by GW.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Vermintide has fewer white supremacist pubbies than your average WW2 or MilSim game.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Germans were going around committing genocide long before the nazis.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
This games fun, except for all the other people who play it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Hey so how's the thread goi-- :yikes:

Gee howdy it's like nerds ruin everything

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Used bright wizard for the first time and I think she may be my favorite now. Love that combustion attack.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Used bright wizard for the first time and I think she may be my favorite now. Love that combustion attack.

Hell yeah, Bright Wizard is awesome. Especially whenever she gets unreasonably happy about setting poo poo on fire.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I really like the risk vs reward the overcharge meter brings. So much better than any other magic system I've used in other games.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Use of the rapier requires precise aim and good parrying skills. Pistols require aim and ammo conservation. Which is why Witch Hunter is the class most likely to be used by someone who will flail at a Stormrat until he gets killed then call everyone noob fagtz.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 31, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's okay to be racist against rat people, and elves, and germans

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

:agreed:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Checking back in the thread made me realize I haven't slain any rats in a few weeks and should fix that tonight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://updates.vermintide.com/release/schluesselschloss/

quote:

Between the Empire and Bretonnia, on land touching fast flowing water, you make your stand. A jumble of fortifications spiral around you. The walls and towers speak to you: “Remember the Schluesselschloss.”

Over the long years, this place has many times been the last bastion against the raiders and monsters threatening Ubersreik. Many an invasion has been stopped, broken upon these walls, and the blood of invader and defender alike washed away by the waters of the Teufel.

Again on this island, a last stand is made. Will you and your friends survive?

Sounds like this might be the survival mode they mentioned awhile back.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Schluesselschloss is the most WHF name ever.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
there's one place in the graveyard that has some incomprehensible name that looks like onomatopoeia for a dude sneezing while gargling marbles

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That is most german words.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'm confused, you wrote rat people twice.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
So they'll fix the really terrible special enemies in 2016 right :negative:

mostly the fucker who grabs you and drags you away from your team at 99% your max movespeed. Using a huge sword and/or axe and/or flaming sword to cut your way through everyone else is fun, though. The first time I did a charge attack with a flaming sword for the mage was a real thing, let me tell you.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Psion posted:

So they'll fix the really terrible special enemies in 2016 right :negative:

mostly the fucker who grabs you and drags you away from your team at 99% your max movespeed. Using a huge sword and/or axe and/or flaming sword to cut your way through everyone else is fun, though. The first time I did a charge attack with a flaming sword for the mage was a real thing, let me tell you.

It's really weird because they seem to have a really good idea of what would make a fun and good mechanic, but no ability to balance things, where some specials are way more threatening than others, and some weapons are basically the same as another except for a huge downside (thinking especially of maces here).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The blue and orange handguns come with unlisted target penetration. Do not be squeamish about shooting your friends in the head on nightmare to free them from hook rats.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The blue and orange handguns come with unlisted target penetration. Do not be squeamish about shooting your friends in the head on nightmare to free them from hook rats.

Unless it comes with a dot, friendly fire is always worth it if you get the hook rat. Even if it does it can be worth it. If you couldn't get to the player, they're a write-off, and the packmaster coming in for more turns a problem into a wipe.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just wish they would add a way to knock back the special rats or avoid their attacks, also fix the way they just glitch teleport from point to point when they can't jump

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every special can be knocked back except for packmasters. It's one of the reasons they're terrible and lame and dumb and bad.

You can even bat a gutter runner away as it jumps at you if your shove timing is perfect.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Hook rats are honestly the least threatening special to me. Since I play a wizard with a beam staff, 99% of the time I can kill any hook rat who goes after me without assistance, and I can usually get them off a teammate with no issues unless they ended up getting jumped after everyone else dropped down a ledge. Even without the beam staff, hook rats usually go down pretty easy provided I'm paying attention to my surroundings. Just dodge back and blast him in the face with a fireball or two.

Basically, my advice for dealing with packmasters is to bring a wizard.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 31, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

there's one place in the graveyard that has some incomprehensible name that looks like onomatopoeia for a dude sneezing while gargling marbles

This post deserves so much love and made me laugh pretty hard

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
90% of the time hookrats are a stupid useless enemy that you hear coming before you see it and have plenty of time to take out your gun and blow through their tiny HP pool. The other 10% of the time you're in the midst of holding off an ambush and one of the brown blobs has a hook and yanks you into the sea of brown blobs before anyone can react, and you get set up on stick for everyone to admire.

If anything they should address the other specials not even hitting that 10% effectiveness mark before they go around making this game even easier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had a hookrat drag an ally through the wall on the finale of Wizard's Tower, and when it did kill him and he respawned, I got him up and he instantly teleported through the wall then died, again.

Rat drugs happened that day.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Just played a nightmare round with a pub kruber who I had to teach about charged attacks blocks, and pushes. How the hell did this dude hit level 50ish!?

I've had my buddies play my account, so there's always that chance, but drat, at least I was behind them telling then what to do.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Huge Obamacare Fan posted:

Just played a nightmare round with a pub kruber who I had to teach about charged attacks blocks, and pushes.

What is "black powder exploit"?

Ok next I'll take Pusillanimous Pubbies for $400.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I got this game yesterday - even playing with pubbies I can tell this game is my jam, I'll probably start playing goons soonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Mr E posted:

I got this game yesterday - even playing with pubbies I can tell this game is my jam, I'll probably start playing goons soonish.

I'd probably play this more if I could get in games with goons, since I like it but am just about at my limit with pub players, but I can never seem to find anybody looking to play. For now I've just taken to idling in the Steam group chat in case anybody drifts in.

• Locked thread