Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Have you thought how long you intend to keep the car? Surely you must have ADD like the rest of us. I'd like to think I'll have my current car forever because I'm happy with it right then but even I know that's a lie.
I'm not sure yet.
It's been 3300mi since the major service, and it'll be 4 years as of May/2016.
The community recommends replacing the major service every 5-8 years, if you don't hit the 30k timing belt interval.

Every year, new cars become slightly used and show up on the market, so you're right, the temptation is always there. Buying the Viper new was a fluke for me, and I think I'm done with that experiment. If anything, I'd look for a GenIV Viper on the cheap. Or maybe a 350GT in a couple years :ohdear:

Wrt selling, this car is special in that its price (as dictated by a small and fairly specialized market) won't just straightforwardly depreciate. I'm not really expecting it to rise, but there might be things going on that cause the price to stay level. If I'm looking to sell, I need to look at the market and balance time left until major service against selling price. The more it's a seller's market, the longer I can hold off on the service.
As I noted before, if 355 prices continue to rise, that could cause more people to look at 348s, which is good for me. That said, my car is a driver. At best, it's a ready-to-drive car that will be significantly cheaper than the pristine garage queens. If the service costs 10k, can I tack 10k onto my asking price? My gut is that the quality of this car is juuust below where it needs to be for getting the major service to be a risk-free proposition on sale price.

quote:

Do you feel like this car has sold you on the brand? Has the ownership experience made you feel like you're a Ferrari guy now, meaning future cars will be other Ferraris? Is the community the kind that you would want to subjugate to in the future? I only ask because for me after getting my old M3 and getting into the local BMW community I am pretty sold on the brand. Other cars sound fun, but I don't see myself venturing out though.

The way I see it, any marque will have hits and duds. A given model's strengths and weaknesses should speak for themselves. I never give a brand extra regard for having produced any great car -- that car was a product of specific circumstances and might not be replicated despite the brand's attempts to deliver a certain feel or maintain some DNA.

This car is from the late 80s / early 90s. I think it's fair to say that hallmarks of enthusiast cars of that era are:
- reasonable mechanical simplicity to facilitate DIY maintenance/repair
- small size
- directness and feedback in controls
- manual transmission as a given
- a particular boxy/angular styling

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions. The 348 hits those 5 points, with the caveat that easy to work on doesn't mean cheap to work on.
There are plenty of other cars that would appeal to me in the same way. What really differentiates the 348 is the sound and the styling (from the exterior to the gated shifter).

Let's aside the fact that I can't really afford 430s and newer models.
The trend in new Ferraris is the same as what we see for other higher-end performance cars:
- performance is #1
- nothing is too complex or too crazily packaged if it aids performance
- manuals shifting doesn't play well with total integration of the drivetrain for performance. Marketing plays along -- a dual clutch is faster and easier to drive

From what I've read, these new generation sports cars are still incredible driving experiences, but the fact that this generational gap exists means that I would never claim to be a Ferrari or Porsche guy -- I've still not come around to this modern era of sports cars, which naturally increasingly defines those brands.

Ok, now put cost back into the picture. If newer Ferraris are made with the same kind of driving excitement in mind, I'd defiritely want to try one in the future.
I really wonder if indy exotic shops will still be able to support a, say, 488 two decades from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yes they'll support them, they'll just have different tools in their box to do so.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How many specialized tools does it take to do a cam belt change on your car?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How many specialized tools does it take to do a cam belt change on your car?

All of them, probably.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

All of them, probably.

I am sure VAG makes tools for cars they don't even make - its that specialized.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I'm expecting things like the ridiculous GM cam tool kits: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bM_XxrduFv4/maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: actually, the filename for this image says it all: http://www.blauparts.com/assets/oe-vw-timing-belt/vw_passat_timing_belt_tools_18taug.jpg

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Yes they'll support them, they'll just have different tools in their box to do so.

Part of it is whether (Ferrari specifically, perhaps) they want to. Any manufacturer today can make an ECU prohibitively costly to reverse engineer to talk to, right? I know that's different from prescribed mechanical maintenance, but it fits with the theme of sending customers to fairly exclusive approved shops to get their work done.

Reminds me, the documents folder comes with a maintenance history booklet where an approved Ferrari shop can sign each service milestone. Mine stops getting stamped at 15k. I need to ask the local shop if they can sign it. I'm hoping so, since their Ferrari tech has 20 years experience, more at a Ferrari dealer than this Aston shop.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Part of it is whether (Ferrari specifically, perhaps) they want to. Any manufacturer today can make an ECU prohibitively costly to reverse engineer to talk to, right? I know that's different from prescribed mechanical maintenance, but it fits with the theme of sending customers to fairly exclusive approved shops to get their work done.

Reminds me, the documents folder comes with a maintenance history booklet where an approved Ferrari shop can sign each service milestone. Mine stops getting stamped at 15k. I need to ask the local shop if they can sign it. I'm hoping so, since their Ferrari tech has 20 years experience, more at a Ferrari dealer than this Aston shop.

The ECU thing falls back on "right to repair"

starting with the 2018 model year in Massachusetts, a car has to be able to plug into a laptop with a non-proprietary cable, and the manufacturer has to make the same software available to indie shops as they do their dealer.

Any manufacter that opts out basically can't sell cars in Massachusetts, and a lot of other states are coming up with their own right to repair stuff.

GM tried fighting this using the DMCA, saying you're only licensing your ECU software, and therefore have no right to access it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

The ECU thing falls back on "right to repair"

starting with the 2018 model year in Massachusetts, a car has to be able to plug into a laptop with a non-proprietary cable, and the manufacturer has to make the same software available to indie shops as they do their dealer.

Any manufacter that opts out basically can't sell cars in Massachusetts, and a lot of other states are coming up with their own right to repair stuff.

I was aware that Right to Repair was making ground, but are there rules in the general proposals about pricing? Can the manufacturers just price the software to be really discouraging to smaller shops?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
There is similar legislation EU. Manufacturers have to offer all tools and software to third party repair shops and servicing carried out at dealerships or official service depots cannot be a condition for warranty. As long as the scheduled service has been carried out it should not matter where it was done.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DoLittle posted:

As long as the scheduled service has been carried out it should not matter where it was done.

You're talking about Ferrari people, work performed anywhere but a Ferrari dealership can and most likely will be used as a negotiation point. Same issue if you do the work yourself, I've seen that used as a negotiation point.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm trying to work out, as someone that knows a few things about threaded parts, what the hell those cone-shaped threaded things are. I need to see the whack rear end thread callout on that part in the worst kind of way. Are they threaded, or are they ribbed(for her pleasure :quagmire:)?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

BloodBag posted:

I'm trying to work out, as someone that knows a few things about threaded parts, what the hell those cone-shaped threaded things are. I need to see the whack rear end thread callout on that part in the worst kind of way. Are they threaded, or are they ribbed(for her pleasure :quagmire:)?
Those are VAG-COM seal extractors! First saw them in the Bentley manual and promptly forgot about them because I don't have a hundred goddamned dollars to spend on what for me will likely be a use-once-and-forget-it tool.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

scuz posted:

Those are VAG-COM seal extractors! First saw them in the Bentley manual and promptly forgot about them because I don't have a hundred goddamned dollars to spend on what for me will likely be a use-once-and-forget-it tool.

Oh good, it's ribbed. I was breaking into a cold sweat just thinking about being asked to measure the pitch diameter on something like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BloodBag posted:

Oh good, it's ribbed. I was breaking into a cold sweat just thinking about being asked to measure the pitch diameter on something like that.

Just keep your dick in a vise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRRNdUYasHU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just keep your dick in a vise.

Son of a diddly!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If it's already fuckered, you can't fucker it any more than it already is.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That was a great reply. Given some of your automotive history it seems that you not only are open minded enough but also have the balls to venture out into the new unknown. I do see what you mean with the later model Ferrari needing to be "the right kind" because your 348 hits a ton of great points, namely the iconic style and driving experience. It doesn't seem too far fetched that the 360 Modena wouldn't some day be easily attainable for most mortals, but at that point you lose a lot of the charm and romance of what you have in your 348. Again I applaud your decision as it takes a huge set of balls to go for such an eccentric choice in car and the whole lifestyle/stigma attached to such a thing. It will be interesting to see what this experience pushes you towards for your next (mis)adventure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

You're talking about Ferrari people, work performed anywhere but a Ferrari dealership can and most likely will be used as a negotiation point. Same issue if you do the work yourself, I've seen that used as a negotiation point.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to some buyer asking me if I used OEM lid struts to replace the dead ones or if I used THE FORD FOCUS?! ones.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It doesn't seem too far fetched that the 360 Modena wouldn't some day be easily attainable for most mortals, but at that point you lose a lot of the charm and romance of what you have in your 348.

Jason Torchinsky at Jalopnik did a whole piece on how the 360 aged better than the 430, to which I say, no way. A lot of guys don't like the way modern Ferraris, look, but I think the 599, the 430, and the 488 all look great. At least on the outside. The interiors don't really do anything for me. The 458 Speciale's... pod thing was a bridge too far:

e: I've been catching up on RBL's cyberpunk fiction thread. This was linked as suggested background music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J52rN0aNfYI
The car on the album cover looks like a 348 front clip, but doesn't have straked doors and the C-pillars have been embellished.
A little late for a band called Miami Nights 1984.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 30, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I think the 360 has aged better also.

But it still won't turn heads like a 348/355.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I like my friend's 360. He has some cool stuff on it

Haven't driven/ridden in it though. Last time I was down there the exhaust was broken and he was waiting on the bumpers.

And the big open space on the front bumper looks a little goofy from some angles.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 30, 2015

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
355's are pretty ugly IMO, not to mention being unreliable pieces of poo poo which cost as much to operate as a fleet of 10 year old Range Rovers. The proportions are just bizarre.

The 360/430s look much better and are likely far better vehicles.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to some buyer asking me if I used OEM lid struts to replace the dead ones or if I used THE FORD FOCUS?! ones.

I know I'm going to run into it when I decide to sell any of the M cars and it's going to suck. Yes I used OEM BMW parts (GDCS :homebrew:) but I did all the work myself and I'm not a certified by BMW mechanic so that will be used against me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've met a handful of certified Audi mechanics who didn't have the first clue what CIS was so the idea that these wizards of car repair know your marque better than anyone else is fairly laughable.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

I think the 360 has aged better also.

But it still won't turn heads like a 348/355.

The 348 doesn't get much attention, but those that do ask about it usually are car people. The C6Z was mistaken for a Ferrari quite a bit so people asked for photos with it or just liked vettes.

The Viper got obscene amounts of attention and any time it was parked there would be people oogling it, usually because they had no idea what the gently caress it was.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

And the big open space on the front bumper looks a little goofy from some angles.

The vents and front openings on the 360 gel better overall, unlike the 430, whose openings are just sort of there.
But the 430's sleeker headlights are more modern in a good way for me.

I couldn't find better side by side comparisons of the 360 and 430:
http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/topic/115201-360-challengestradale-vs-430-scuderia-outdoor-photos/
The 360 looks pretty good in blue, but still not as good. The upturned chin reminds me of a tarpon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I've met a handful of certified Audi mechanics who didn't have the first clue what CIS was so the idea that these wizards of car repair know your marque better than anyone else is fairly laughable.

We once tried to take an Audi 5000 to the dealership for one of its scammy "bring your out of warranty Audi in for an inspection and get free wiper blades" promotions, both out of a desire for free wiper blades and a desire for A Story (or at least being able to understand where that weird clunk and hot-idle problem may be coming from).

The service writer failed to look it up on the computer and brought out the head tech, who denied the existence of any such car in the Audi family.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I mean once you understand that most dealership mechanics are flat rate you realize there's no way in hell they're going to stand around reading 1980s service manuals for fun when they've got a dozen 2013 model years the can bang through and put food on the table that week. To be honest I'd be willing to give Ferrari mechanics a break just because they're probably poo poo on by customers the second something goes wrong so they're probably more than willing to make sure everything is sorted before handing the keys back but something like an old BMW? I'd sooner just read up and do it myself.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh, I am by no means blaming the mechanic, but coming out and asserting loudly that the car didn't exist and was never made by Audi was a step above.

Plus I wasn't expecting anything other than the general scam "buy here pay here" inspection ("Your tie rods seem loose," he says, while prying at them with a breaker bar) and a set of free wiper blades.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I mean really that is something else. Really did they think that you were going to pry audi badges off of cars at the junkyard, debadge your car and paste the audi badges on for some free wiper blades?

Then again I had a Subaru parts desk guy refuse to sell me a transmission filter for my SVX on the grounds that Subaru has never had any issues with automatic transmissions :jerkbag:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Eh, the service writer at the Nissan dealership also refused to believe my wife's car was a model that existed until he came outside and read the trunk lid for himself. She had words for the manager after that.

You gotta wonder about the cases where people legitimately come to the dealership with the wrong car. Nobody seems to know what the early-90s Mazda logo is.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We once tried to take an Audi 5000 to the dealership for one of its scammy "bring your out of warranty Audi in for an inspection and get free wiper blades" promotions, both out of a desire for free wiper blades and a desire for A Story (or at least being able to understand where that weird clunk and hot-idle problem may be coming from).

The service writer failed to look it up on the computer and brought out the head tech, who denied the existence of any such car in the Audi family.

The unintended acceleration fiasco was very traumatizing to audi, maybe he blocked the memories?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

My last Audi dealer trip, to replace a broken coolant hose, ended up with my car in a mysterious no-start condition with a mechanic waiting on a call from Audi so that they could tell him where my ECU was. Then, seconds after telling them I was getting in the car to get my insurance paperwork for the loaner, they started raising the two post lift leaving me dangling out of my passenger door yelling at them to stop.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I mean once you understand that most dealership mechanics are flat rate you realize there's no way in hell they're going to stand around reading 1980s service manuals for fun when they've got a dozen 2013 model years the can bang through and put food on the table that week.

Yeah, I imagine it'll always be easy for the dealer mechanics to work on cars less than 10 years old, while the tech and procedures are still familiar on everyone's minds.
But I don't know if small shops who work on Ferraris now will continue to migrate their business up through the model years.
A guy who does great work on Daytonas and 512s and F40s will always have that business until he wants out. He doesn't have to take in new customers with newer, different cars.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Nobody seems to know what the early-90s Mazda logo is.

Marathon? I loved that game!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

... back but something like an old BMW? I'd sooner just read up and do it myself.
There's an independent shop here I trust to do basic things. Anything specialized or associated with the engine the car will go to a guy in NJ who's been working on these cars since they rolled off the assembly line. Anything else I can handle just fine.

For anything special there's always a shop out there somewhere that's been working on them since new and knows what they're doing. It's just a matter of location and price. I've seen too many rebuilds eat themselves after a couple thousand miles to even think about chancing it if needed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kimbo305 posted:

Jason Torchinsky at Jalopnik did a whole piece on how the 360 aged better than the 430, to which I say, no way. A lot of guys don't like the way modern Ferraris, look, but I think the 599, the 430, and the 488 all look great. At least on the outside. The interiors don't really do anything for me. The 458 Speciale's... pod thing was a bridge too far:

e: I've been catching up on RBL's cyberpunk fiction thread. This was linked as suggested background music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J52rN0aNfYI
The car on the album cover looks like a 348 front clip, but doesn't have straked doors and the C-pillars have been embellished.
A little late for a band called Miami Nights 1984.

All I'm looking at is that CF button pod and holy gently caress I'd hate to have to lay that up. That HAS to be a one-time-use male molded part, unless I'm not seeing the clamshell joint.

Also, I had no idea Right to Repair was going to get us dealer software / tools etc. I wonder if the OEMs will throw a tantrum and just put in unlock codes to use the actual dealer stuff, then claim they complied with the letter of the law or something.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kastein posted:

All I'm looking at is that CF button pod and holy gently caress I'd hate to have to lay that up. That HAS to be a one-time-use male molded part, unless I'm not seeing the clamshell joint.

I googled for some closeups of that pod, and I still don't see any seams on it. They also have to make a mirror image pod for RHD.

I took a run at replacing the bulb in the turn signal / fog light assembly:

The bulb that's out there still lights up when the left turn signal is on. It's a dual filament bulb in the problem position.

First, you pop off this cover:

In googling around for how to dig the bulb holders out, I found out how unavailable 348 foglights are, with the left side being more rare.
This cover plate alone lists for $240 on a Ferrari parts site. Needless to say, I got a little more nervous about handling the glass housing.
One guy said he saw a foglight go for $800 on ebay before he could bid on it.

Partway through unscrewing the now exposed retaining plate:

There was a little bit of rust that had flattened one of the bolt's threads, but it was overall really nice.
The big flatblade bolt is left-right adjustment of the light assembly.
Note how the plate has two balls for the cover to snap onto. It was kind of hard to center the ball joints over these, with no real visual alignment to go by.

Once the plate is off, you pull out that side first, then pull toward the center of the car, freeing the tabs on the end:

I had to lift the plugs up and past the cutout before I could pull the housing out more:

Not wanting the light to dangle while I unplugged the harnesses, I put my jack under the housing:

I was really careful loosening the plugs. They seemed to be in good shape, too, but you can't be too careful with plastic. Or an irreplaceable glass lens.
In the background, you can see the rubber receivers for the tabs on the other end of the housing.

I've not seen these round plugs before:

Unbolt the 4 bolts and pry off the back of the housing:

For a while, I couldn't figure out how to get the bulb holders out. They were just slightly seized. I pushed in a couple times and then twisted harder to get them to move.

The amber 1157 bulb I fished out looked fine. Both filaments were still there. I put in a new one and buttoned up. No cure :(.
I'm gonna ask FC for suggestions. From what I've read, bad connectors are a common source of issues.
From that last pic, I guess the blue and yellow wire into the left bulb holder are the two positives, given the separate black wire.
I hate dealing with electrical stuff. That's why I've been putting debugging the rear bulb that won't light. I guess I'm at the same spot in both, with maybe slightly easier tracing of wiring for the rear light.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 2, 2016

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Yea your gonna wanna get a multimeter and start testing for resistance. Im willing to bet its the switch. Or see if you can put 12 volts on the wire and have it light up. I hate finicky poo poo made out of unobtainium God speed.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Yea your gonna wanna get a multimeter and start testing for resistance. Im willing to bet its the switch.

With the bulb out, between blue and black, and yellow and black?
I could see measuring voltage against those two pairs, but resistance?

• Locked thread