Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've never really seen this sort of conflict about vegetarianism, but that might just be the kind of people I know because I've had several people tell me they would go vegetarian except for bacon.

I never get this, because a) bacon just isn't that special and b) it's often said by Americans and god drat American-style bacon is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Sun giveth and the Sun taketh away.

You must make sacrifices to ensure that it returns.

edit: the recent infatuation with bacon is the dumbest, most baffling, most American poo poo. I can't loving stand it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bacon is good but extremely overrated. I can't go vegetarian because barbecue is insanely dope.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Bacon is good but extremely overrated. I can't go vegetarian because barbecue is insanely dope.

yeah. Pork is basically what I can't do without. Pork chops, pork sausage. Pork pork pork.

edit: which is hosed up, because I'm fully aware of the intelligence and adorableness of pigs, but I get by by not thinking about it. You know... the indifference of good men and all that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've never really eaten pork and I'm not about to start.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

True for both. I would also miss that good steak I eat once in a while if I went vegetarian.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pork us the best and worst meat. I hate how good it is because it's awful.

Eat lamb err' day.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I've never really seen this sort of conflict about vegetarianism, but that might just be the kind of people I know because I've had several people tell me they would go vegetarian except for bacon.

My favorite vegetarian exception was one of my coworker's friends who went vegetarian except for turkeys because he just hates turkeys so much.

Nobody really bats an eye at me being vegetarian, but I swear to god when I was going vegan every jerkoff wanted to engage me in a philosophy debate

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

edit: the recent infatuation with bacon is the dumbest, most baffling, most American poo poo. I can't loving stand it.

It's just the trend of the day (and I think it's actually dying down). Maybe two years ago, every goddamn restaurant and QSR joint was featuring something on a pretzel bun. Two or three years before that, every goddamn thing was "chipotle-flavored." Next year I fully expect "breakfast for dinner" to be a major part of a lot of places' marketing mix.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Timby posted:

Next year I fully expect "breakfast for dinner" to be a major part of a lot of places' marketing mix.

Fingers crossed, breakfast for dinner is the best

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

It's just the trend of the day (and I think it's actually dying down). Maybe two years ago, every goddamn restaurant and QSR joint was featuring something on a pretzel bun. Two or three years before that, every goddamn thing was "chipotle-flavored." Next year I fully expect "breakfast for dinner" to be a major part of a lot of places' marketing mix.

I mean, the bacon thing has really already passed. There's just still some people who haven't given it up. Since then we've had the sriracha craze and the ghost pepper craze. I'm not sure what we're on now.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The current craze is specialty grilled cheese sandwiches and poutines.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

I'm not sure what we're on now.

"Street food" got really big in June or so. Premium grilled cheese and mac & cheese are also showing up on a lot of menus.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The current craze is specialty grilled cheese sandwiches and poutines.

This is one I don't get. I mean, I get the craze. I don't get going someone and paying someone to make yo ua grilled cheese. They sell cheese and bread at that store. Any kind of cheese and bread you could want. It's like the eaziest possible at home comfort food.

The poutines thing I get. Even Wendey's has a knockoff poutine right now.

edit: I love the idea of street food. I don't like the hipster food truck craze. I want a card of actually cheap, decent food, where I go up and give the person some money and they hand me a tasty food. The overpriced novelty of a food truck in a college town is garbage.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

I mean, the bacon thing has really already passed. There's just still some people who haven't given it up. Since then we've had the sriracha craze and the ghost pepper craze. I'm not sure what we're on now.

Artisanal toast.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The last few years has taken the world from 'why would you pull pork?' to 'every meal is pulled pork forever'.

e: Just Googled poutine and that poo poo looks disgusting.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Pork products are good but out of all the meats it's the one I could most easily go without. Beef on the other hand...man, I know there are hella problems with the beef industry but I just have to submit to being part of the problem.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

The last few years has taken the world from 'why would you pull pork?' to 'every meal is pulled pork forever'.

e: Just Googled poutine and that poo poo looks disgusting.

It's fries with cheese curds and gravy. Really it's hard to see anything wrong with that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snak posted:

This is one I don't get. I mean, I get the craze. I don't get going someone and paying someone to make yo ua grilled cheese. They sell cheese and bread at that store. Any kind of cheese and bread you could want. It's like the eaziest possible at home comfort food.
There's this local place here in New Orleans called The Big Cheezy and they're all about gourmet grilled cheeses. But it's not like the only sell standard grilled cheese sandwiches. They sell delicious sandwiches with all kinds of cheeses, all kinds of breads, all kinds of meats, all kinds of sauces, etc. And granted, you could probably make the same thing at home if you tried, but that's kind of true of any restaurant, so if you're using that line of reasoning, why go out to eat ever?

Because eating out is dope as gently caress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There's this local place here in New Orleans called The Big Cheezy and they're all about gourmet grilled cheeses. But it's not like the only sell standard grilled cheese sandwiches. They sell delicious sandwiches with all kinds of cheeses, all kinds of breads, all kinds of meats, all kinds of sauces, etc. And granted, you could probably make the same thing at home if you tried, but that's kind of true of any restaurant, so if you're using that line of reasoning, why go out to eat ever?

Because eating out is dope as gently caress.

Right, but at this point it's not a grilled cheese craze, it's a sandwich craze, which is again, understandable.

Eating out is where about 60% of my money has gone. I hate doing it, but I have friends who use eating out as a way to cheer up when they are sad, and when they are sad is the worst time to be a dick to them about money.

I drink the rest of my money. Hence upcoming sobriety attempt number whatever.

if was up to me I would cook 98% of my meals. I love to cook.

I cooked all day on christmas. I baked cookies and made ham and made mashed potatoes. I made a loaded baked potatoe soup on christmas eve, and last night I made steak with mushroom and red wine sauce.

Also I just ate hotdog rice. Which is significantly less classy. It's where you cut up a hotdog and throw it in the rice cooker with your rice. it's like a 50 cent meal.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZGChaJA-n8

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snak posted:

Eating out is where about 60% of my money has gone. I hate doing it, but I have friends who use eating out as a way to cheer up when they are sad, and when they are sad is the worst time to be a dick to them about money.

Your friends must be very sad very often.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Corrode posted:

I never get this, because a) bacon just isn't that special and b) it's often said by Americans and god drat American-style bacon is poo poo.

I like that Brits call it streaky bacon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

Your friends must be very sad very often.

yeah, it turns out that poverty and your relatives dying of cancer is pretty depressing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In my case, I enjoy eating out because it gives me something to do and somewhere to go and I'll be around people and I won't just be some depressed fucker cooking for myself at home :shepicide:

Also because there are a lot of dope restaurants in the area and I like food. Food is good and cool. Except when it's hot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

I drink the rest of my money. Hence upcoming sobriety attempt number whatever.

I used to drink a liter of vodka a day, sometimes more. Sober since March 23, 2009. Please feel free to lean on me. Send a PM or email tbrechlin at gmail.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Artisanal toast.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, because Artisinal Toast is a real thing, and This American Life even did a story on the origins of Artisinal Toast.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I go to food trucks because it's the only way to get Indian food where I live which is some bullshit

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Cook for your friends.

Alternatively, cook your friends. Free meal for you and the end of misery for them!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I go to food trucks because it's the only way to get Indian food where I live which is some bullshit

Indian food is amazing. It's something I wish I had discovered years ago.

On food chat, I got a gift card for Chili's through my works secret Santa. I'm convinced this was a re-gift. It expires pretty soon so I should probably use it. I've never bothered going there before and I've only heard negative reviews. Is anything there worth eating?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Trying to do an Oscars sweepstakes at the office and I'm a bit clueless about what are likely nominees for screenplay. Like, what counts for and against a screenplay? Talky films are good (Steve Jobs, Hateful Eight), but other than that I have no idea at all.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I pray to the sun 4 times a day (when I remember to):

quote:

The Four Adorations

Hail unto Thee who art Ra in Thy rising, Even unto Thee who art Ra in Thy strength, Who travellest over the Heavens in Thy bark At the Uprising of the Sun. Tahuti standeth in His splendour at the prow And Ra-Hoor abideth at the helm. Hail unto Thee from the Abodes of Night.

Hail unto Thee who art Hathor in Thy triumphing, Even unto Thee who art Hathor in Thy beauty, Who travellest over the Heavens in Thy bark At the Mid-course of the Sun. Tahuti standeth in His splendour at the prow, And Ra-Hoor abideth at the helm. Hail unto Thee from the Abodes of Morning.

Hail unto Thee, who art Tum in Thy setting, Even unto Thee who art Tum in Thy joy, Who travellest over the Heavens in Thy bark At the Down-going of the Sun. Tahuti standeth in His splendour at the prow And Ra-Hoor abideth at the helm. Hail unto Thee from the Abodes of Day.

Hail unto Thee Who art Khephra in Thy hiding, Even unto Thee who art Khephra in Thy silence, Who travellest over the Heavens in Thy bark At the Midnight Hour of the Sun. Tahuti standeth in his Splendour at the prow And Ra-Hoor abideth at the helm. Hail unto Thee from the Abodes of Evening.

Sun worship is dope. :colbert:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, because Artisinal Toast is a real thing, and This American Life even did a story on the origins of Artisinal Toast.

Half-joking. It hasn't caught on in Brooklyn yet but there is still time! I'm convinced the new thing is actually French toast.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

On food chat, I got a gift card for Chili's through my works secret Santa. I'm convinced this was a re-gift. It expires pretty soon so I should probably use it. I've never bothered going there before and I've only heard negative reviews. Is anything there worth eating?
https://www.raise.com/sell-chili-s-gift-cards

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vegetable posted:

Trying to do an Oscars sweepstakes at the office and I'm a bit clueless about what are likely nominees for screenplay. Like, what counts for and against a screenplay? Talky films are good (Steve Jobs, Hateful Eight), but other than that I have no idea at all.

For original screenplay, I'd guess Inside Out, Hateful Eight, Spotlight, maybe Bridge of Spies and ... I don't know, Ex Machina. Maybe Sicario.

For adapted, I'd think Steve Jobs, The Martian, The Big Short, Carol and Trumbo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Chili's is mediocre but you might as well get your free meal. It's not gross or anything, just unremarkable in every way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I used to drink a liter of vodka a day, sometimes more. Sober since March 23, 2009. Please feel free to lean on me. Send a PM or email tbrechlin at gmail.

Grats! PMed you.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Cook for your friends.
yeah, this is literally what I'm working on, but thanks, it's good advice.

edit:

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Last time I was sober, I got really into teaching myself to cook Indian food. It's so good.

Chili's totally fine. It's basically the same tier/cuisine as Applebee's, if you've ever been there. Definitly use that gift card, you'll find something tasty and unhealthy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I went there earlier this year with my mom because she had a gift card there that she wanted to use. I never would've gone there on my own. But I got some fajitas that ended up being not half bad. Of course they weren't super authentic or anything, but they came with a literal tower of condiments.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I pray to the sun 4 times a day (when I remember to):

Sun worship is dope. :colbert:

Do you listen to the History of Alchemy podcast?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do you listen to the History of Alchemy podcast?

No but I think I just found what I'm doing for the rest of the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Learning about Chana Masala is one of the best things to happen to me this year.

• Locked thread