Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

MY ABACUS! posted:

This is the most 3/5 game I've ever played.

Then play the other 2/5ths you missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I decided in my playthrough that the Institute was too dangerous to let live and too useful to let die. So I butchered them all, stripped every corpse of its clothes and equipment, and then came back to Sanctuary and handed out all the lab coats and laser pistols to my obedient little puppets. The Institute lives again!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

I started going for a bunch of companion perks on my current playthrough and it'll never stop being funny to me that as soon as I get someone to confide how much they idolize me and declare their undying love for me, that's when I immediately ditch them at Red Rocket to farm tatos with the other has-beens while I take off with someone new.

It's got to be awkward every time you show up with the new hotness and Preston and Piper can't stop asking you about that last conversation you had...you know...you remember that, right? Right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm sure someone will make a mod where you get double Lover's Embrace bonus if you have multiple romanced companions around when you sleep. :heysexy:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've been following the guide at the bottom of this page, trying to get the ending where only the Institute is gone: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nuclear_Option_%28Minutemen%29

I'm at the point where it mentions Underground Undercover, but I've hit a snag. I just gave the holotape from Inside Job to Sturges, but Desdemona is asking me to choose between the Minutemen and the Railroad and I've not seen anything about the quest Underground Undercover. Am I hosed?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Verranicus posted:

I've been following the guide at the bottom of this page, trying to get the ending where only the Institute is gone: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nuclear_Option_%28Minutemen%29

I'm at the point where it mentions Underground Undercover, but I've hit a snag. I just gave the holotape from Inside Job to Sturges, but Desdemona is asking me to choose between the Minutemen and the Railroad and I've not seen anything about the quest Underground Undercover. Am I hosed?

No. That is just the point of no return. You can do it before that quest comes up and still be fine.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MY ABACUS! posted:

This is the most 3/5 game I've ever played.

yeah but at least mods make up for some of it

Gonkish posted:

If you thought (as I did) that it couldn't get better than using a Fat Man to launch nuclear babies... you were wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP8WHVWDH_s

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

EricFate posted:

No. That is just the point of no return. You can do it before that quest comes up and still be fine.

So, following the guide I linked, now would be the point to move on to the next step?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Verranicus posted:

So, following the guide I linked, now would be the point to move on to the next step?

You have not yet completed any quests which involve killing another faction and turning them against you, so yes. Load up on ammo and incendiary devices, and go pay you next of kin a surprise visit.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hmm this game is okay I guess

*spends four hours establishing supply lines and turning the abandoned marina into a miniature port city, complete with bustling dockside marketplace and gated security checkpoints at entrance*

:stare:

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Verranicus posted:

I did this with my first character and I hate it. Once the Institute is gone, nothing is correct. All the other factions are hosed up and it's just no fun to play.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm still trying to decide between Institute and Railroad for my ending, and I'm trying to balance just how amazing poo poo is in the Institute and the dumb/bad things they've done in the past. Whereas the Railroad wants to blow it all up and probably set back possible progress another 200 years. Also they have green trees, grass, and furniture that isn't lovely even when newly-built.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They should of made the factions a truly difficult choice by having each one give you a unique set of decorations for your settlements.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

They should of made the factions a truly difficult choice by having each one give you a unique set of decorations for your settlements.

Particularly the Institute.

But, no. You get a new flag in the decorations menu. That's all.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

EricFate posted:

Particularly the Institute.

But, no. You get a new flag in the decorations menu. That's all.

Hey now, you also get a faction-specific power armor paintjob that can only be applied to a specific model of power armor... and forgotten about once you apply it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is there any sort of known bug where a settlement stops producing water for some reason? I had Sanctuary generating like 400 purified water ever few days but now I'm fast travelling all around and doing quests and no new water is getting produced when I get back. What gives?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Is there any sort of known bug where a settlement stops producing water for some reason? I had Sanctuary generating like 400 purified water ever few days but now I'm fast travelling all around and doing quests and no new water is getting produced when I get back. What gives?

I had the copper wire mysteriously disappear once that was connecting all my purifiers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

neonbregna posted:

I had the copper wire mysteriously disappear once that was connecting all my purifiers.

That occurred to me yea but I went over there and everything seems to be hooked up the way it always was. Maybe I wasn't looking closely enough...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I've seen a lot of settlements show 0 population until I travel to them, then everyone remembers they're supposed to be working at the number jumps back up.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yes the settlements stats not appearing correctly in the "Workshops" tab is a common bug for me at least.

Like I built about 600 defense on Spectacle Island but I've had it show up as about 40 instead on the workshops tab, then when I go there it's back to ~600 again.

Same with other settlements and stats - I think it just spazzes out in general.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I've seen a lot of settlements show 0 population until I travel to them, then everyone remembers they're supposed to be working at the number jumps back up.

After a while I started ignoring settlement attacks completely - they just weren't worth the effort of responding to - and this would consistently happen. However, whenever I actually showed up at the settlement, everyone was there and doing their thing. Literally all that had changed was some NPC chatter complaining about the recent raid.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I cant test anything because I'm not at home but if I can't fix this bug I think I'm done with the game. Not a criticism really because I've put like 40 hours into it, but I was having fun building up a huge stockpile of caps and now that I can't do that I have very little motivating me to push forward. Maybe I'll try unhooking all the purifiers and redoing the wiring.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You'll never get to spend that huge stockpile of caps. Quoting the game because of it is pretty lmao

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

You'll never get to spend that huge stockpile of caps. Quoting the game because of it is pretty lmao

I'm not really quitting, I'm just done with it. I finished the main quest line, explored the vaults, did most of the sidequests that seem worth doing. For some reason I had set a goal of having 100,000 caps and I was having fun getting there but its no big deal I'll just play a different game.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FistEnergy posted:

Just got this game for Christmas. Sure would be nice to have an updated OP with helpful advice for starting out, such as particularly important/useless SPECIAL categories, skills, and perks! That way I wouldn't be stuck staring down the barrel of a thousand page thread with nothing guiding me except random chance!

Oh well! :allears:
Put 4 in all stats. Go from there and customize as necessary.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Basebf555 posted:

Do you have supply routes to other settlements with large populations and without enough water to sustain? Someone is using your excess, that's probably where it's going.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
So I just started a new game with a melee build based on multiple sources stating that melee/unarmed is way overpowered and you'll be one-shotting low to mid level guys incredibly quickly. My stats are:

STR 9
PER 4 (for Locksmith)
END 1
CHR 3 (for Lone Wanderer)
INT 1
AGI 6
LCK 5

I'm Level 10 and have Rooted, Idiot Savant, Moving Target, Iron Fist (2), and Big Leagues (2), and I think I need some tips on how to make this style more enjoyable, since I'm dying a lot more often than I did early on with my previous pure shooting character. I'm using Grognak's Axe, if that helps.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Do you have supply routes to other settlements with large populations and without enough water to sustain? Someone is using your excess, that's probably where it's going.

Ah gently caress I think that must be it. I just set up a supply route to a settlement with 14 people in it and I think maybe their siphoning it off. Is there some way to delete that route? I can't imagine I'm going to have an easy time finding the guy running it.

Or what about if I build a whole bunch of water pumps at the other place? Will they stop stealing from Sanctuary?

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 30, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There really needs to be a central settlement management thing at the workbench or something, where I can go to a settlement and see a list of who's assigned to what and reassign people and recall provisioners or change their routes.

Also there really needs to be a way to make a container your settlers will take weapons and armor from and use it automatically.

I can't wait for GECK and real mods basically.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Are there any bugs with just shooting Maxson in the face and looting the Prydwen ?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sylink posted:

Are there any bugs with just shooting Maxson in the face and looting the Prydwen ?

Pretty sure he's marked essential up until a certain point.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I started out thinking "Yeah I'll make an awesome melee character!" too, but honestly it seems to take a looooong-rear end time before that's viable. Like you need to get a super sledge with a decent legendary modifier, get the perks to be able to upgrade it to the max level, get some of the melee damage perk, and ideally Blitz level 1 or 2 until you can just run up to stuff and gently caress it up by bashing its face in.

I was sad about this too. I mostly ended up killing stuff with my explosive .308 rifle for half of my play time so far.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Entropic posted:

Pretty sure he's marked essential up until a certain point.

I killed him and the rest of the crew right after his introductory speech. He ain't marked shiiiit

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Duncan Doenitz posted:

So I just started a new game with a melee build based on multiple sources stating that melee/unarmed is way overpowered and you'll be one-shotting low to mid level guys incredibly quickly. My stats are:

STR 9
PER 4 (for Locksmith)
END 1
INT 1
AGI 6
LCK 5

I'm Level 10 and have Rooted, Idiot Savant, Moving Target, Iron Fist (2), and Big Leagues (2), and I think I need some tips on how to make this style more enjoyable, since I'm dying a lot more often than I did early on with my previous pure shooting character. I'm using Grognak's Axe, if that helps.

Are you using your power armor?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Nitrox posted:

I killed him and the rest of the crew right after his introductory speech. He ain't marked shiiiit

Yah I figured this out but wasnt sure if it would break main quest siding with institute.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

coyo7e posted:

Put 4 in all stats. Go from there and customize as necessary.

This is what I did. Worked out pretty well; drifted into basically a VATS sniper. I'm sure I could do better if I restarted but it's pretty fun anyway.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I had success early on with Blitz and a combat knife, I could take out bandit groups by sneaking around and teleporting up to them for a easy sneak attack.

Don't think I ever managed to get off sneak melee attacks in another bestheda game without heavy sneak investment.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Duncan Doenitz posted:

STR 9
PER 4 (for Locksmith)
END 1
INT 1
AGI 6
LCK 5

The most essential part of a melee build is Blitz, it's really just not viable without it. The successful formula is basically Blitz+Rooted+All the drugs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You should always be doing all of the drugs in any build.

Psycho + Jet at the very least. They make any hard fight exponentially easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Sylink posted:

Yah I figured this out but wasnt sure if it would break main quest siding with institute.

For me and a number of others, wiping out the BoS ahead of time leads the Railroad's main quest to break irreparably quite a way down the line: https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136908929369/

I reloaded from another save (like 7 hours of playtime earlier) to before I killed the BoS, went through the quests again and the Railroad quest worked correctly.

As far as I'm aware, siding with the institute is still fine after killing the BoS, but I haven't tried it.

• Locked thread