Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Tips for Risk of Rain? I'm going to primarily be playing 2 player so preferably geared towards that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm pretty sure that you can counter water hags too and cut off their tongues.

But in general, the "parry humans, dodge monsters" advice is solid--even if you CAN parry certain monsters, dodging them is also a good idea.

The big caveat to blocking monsters are canines. They can attack/recover so fast that on Death March they're the most dangerous monsters until you pump up igni enough to one-shot them. But they can't break your block ever so if you're surrounded by wolves block away.

The game's dodge frames are wonky so here's my general rule: enemies with two-handed weapons or monsters that charge you like drowners should be dodged laterally. They have slow recovery so you can get a few hits on their flank. Enemies with one-handed weapons or quick attacks can be avoided by dodging backwards. They have quick recovery which lets them turn to attack you again. Never dodge when an enemy is attacking you from behind, they will close whatever distance during their windup and hit you in the back regardless. Either dodge laterally or roll away to put distance between you.

Playing on harder difficulties is just straight crowd control. Draw monsters away from their groups, pick off ranged attackers, and separate the heavy hitters with yrden. You want to fight dudes one on one.

But be careful with your finisher on an enemy downed with aard. You're invincible for the duration but enemies can still attack you. If you finish while they're mid-swing you'll get hit.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Also, is there anything in particular I need to know before heading into Hotline Miami 2 if I've already completed the first one?

Thanks.

The cut off point for refunds on Steam is 2 hours.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

Tips for Risk of Rain? I'm going to primarily be playing 2 player so preferably geared towards that.
Don't get turned off by dying a lot early on. The game gets progressively more fun as you unlock more characters and items.
The characters play really differently. Don't expect to master them in one playthrough.
The key is in learning how to balance exploration and the timer. There really aren't any good guidelines for that besides "do what you feel is right". The first level is usually worth spending some time on if you have the money to open some chests.

edit: Off! Off, I say!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 30, 2015

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

A good starting point for time management in Risk of Rain is to focus on hitting the boss teleporter as quickly as possible. Once you've survived the wave event, do a sweep of the level and use the money generated from that to grab any chests before you book it. It's sometimes worthwhile to stick around and grind a little before triggering an event, but that's something you'll have to feel out as you play more of the game.

For multiplayer, keep in mind that some items are more useful on certain characters. Commando is amazing with chance on hit items like missiles on account of the sheer number of attacks he pumps out. Melee guys like the Miner get a lot more mileage out of touch items like barbed wire and the Tesla coil. You'll get a feel for specific items as you play more, but that's a good starting guideline.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Don't get turned on by dying a lot early on.
:yikes:

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anything for Don't Starve and Sleeping Dogs?

I played Don't Starve for about half an hour and it's a charming little game although I feel it tells you NOTHING

Sleeping Dogs I'm not expecting anything major I should know but hey might as well ask?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Doesn't seem to be anything for Pikmin 3 'round these parts. Anything one needs to know?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well, he said don't!

Ramagamma posted:

I played Don't Starve for about half an hour and it's a charming little game although I feel it tells you NOTHING

Sleeping Dogs I'm not expecting anything major I should know but hey might as well ask?

Sleeping Dogs is pretty straightforward, just have fun. The only thing I remember wishing I knew from the start was that you shouldn't worry about going out of your way to find the Jade Statues, which you use to unlock new abilities at the dojo. IIRC, you will come across every single one of them throughout the course of the story, and in fact at least one of them is positioned such that you can see it if you try to get to it early, but you can't actually reach it until you do one of the story missions. So don't worry about it, just play through the story, and pick up the statues as you see them.

Also, make sure you do the dating missions as soon as you get them, because they unlock the ability to find collectibles on your minimap, which is really nice.

You will get more than enough cop points to unlock all the upgrades by the end of the game. Triad points are a little harder to come by; I've played through Sleeping Dogs at least 3 times and I don't think I ever maxed out the Triad tree. Nothing in there is too essential, but it's worth it to look ahead and see if there's anything deep in the tree that you really want before you start spending points.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

If you want to get a lot of Triad score without having to resort to wearing certain outfits or the DLC, you're going to have to mix up your moves, avoid getting hit as much as you can (not that hard once you get the hang of things), and to save the environmental hazards for when your intended target is at 1/4 or less HP left. That way, you can milk out some more points and get your Triad experience. If you want to milk it further, avoid getting damage upgrades for as long as possible.

On the flip side, you really don't need to care that much about Cop score because the game throws out a lot of tasks for you to earn that. If you handle your missions perfectly (that is, avoid any clumsy mistakes and avoid harming innocents or causing property damage), you'll get your points easy.

Races in cars are really easy if you use the dedicated ram button to total the competition. On bikes, you'll just have to nudge them into stuff carefully. Either way, you can outrace them if you're able.

Food gives buffs, like increased attack, defense, and regen. Eat pork buns, or else you're not a whole man.

Cops aren't that threatening and are really easy to lose. The ram button while in a car totals pursuers in about two attempts.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Ramagamma posted:

The dating side missions are a little lame but do them and collectibles will appear on your map, which is handy. You don't have to pick one girl, you date them all.

I would try to get some of the new attacks as quickly as possible until you get the leg break, then whatever.

All the races have one car in their class that is by far the best. If you are having a lot of trouble with a race, you probably don't have the good car yet.

Police XP points are a lot easier to get than Triad XP points so if you're going to worry about maxing out either, worry about Triad. There is a cheat DLC that can help with this if you want.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ramagamma posted:

Don't Starve
- Your first order of business should be wandering around and picking up sticks, rocks, and grass while looking for a good place to set up your first base. Somewhere near rabbit holes is never a bad choice, as they're a consistent, combat-free source of food.
- Food is almost universally better cooked than raw. The only exception, IIRC, is carrots.
- If you're starving to death and you have to eat Monster Meat, cook it first.
- When deciding where to settle, keep in mind that while trees can be transplanted easily, but transplanting grass or twigs takes fertilizer.
- Farms stop growing new plants in winter, but plants that have already sprouted can stay there indefinitely without rotting.
- Make a science machine and a crockpot ASAP. You can get coal for it by starting a forest fire. Stuffing it full of meat and plants will make Meatballs, which will be your staple food for a good while.
- If you put more than one Monster Meat and/or Durian in a crockpot, you'll get Monster Lasagna no matter what.
- Make some drying racks, too. Jerky can hang there indefinitely and even once you remove it, it takes forever to spoil.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 30, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ramagamma posted:

Sleeping Dogs?
My racing experience - and I doubt it changed in the definitive edition - is that you really need the best motorcycle / (car, but to a lesser extent) in whatever category you're racing in to win.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ramagamma posted:

Sleeping Dogs?
There is a DLC which has a beat cop uniform. Buy it and wear it to all your secret triad meetings.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

There is a DLC which has a beat cop uniform. Buy it and wear it to all your secret triad meetings.

I love that DLC because whenever you commandeer a car with the cop uniform on, it sounds like Wei says "Honk honk police!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nate RFB posted:

Doesn't seem to be anything for Pikmin 3 'round these parts. Anything one needs to know?

Nah its pretty user friendly and approachable. If anything just be aware that while Pikmin 1 had a time limit and Pikmin 2 didn't, Pikmin 3 goes back to the time limit but not really. Its very loose and you can effectively stall for a really long time if you want to, so don't feel too stressed out about rushing or anything. Just make sure you get lots of juice every day, juice is your lifeblood.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah its pretty user friendly and approachable. If anything just be aware that while Pikmin 1 had a time limit and Pikmin 2 didn't, Pikmin 3 goes back to the time limit but not really. Its very loose and you can effectively stall for a really long time if you want to, so don't feel too stressed out about rushing or anything. Just make sure you get lots of juice every day, juice is your lifeblood.
I think it's worth mentioning that the best way to play is with the WiiU gamepad. Using the map to find stuff is super useful, and the ability to set waypoints for your three characters is not explained very well in the game, but makes you way more productive.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

Sleeping Dogs?

Unlike most open world games, collectibles are worth pursuing. If you see the health shrine "glimmer" hop out of your car and hit it up, for every 10 you visit you get +10% max health and it adds up by the end of the game.

By fighting without getting hit, you can fill your face meter. When it's full you gain a ton of in-combat health regen for awhile, which helps a lot in tougher fights. Later you can unlock a bunch of additional bonuses for filling the meter as will, like the ability to disarm people at will.

For the races, this isn't GTA so you can cheat all you want to win. Get used to using the ram ability, but later on you get (gameplay, but not story spoilers)some ridiculous spy car with gatling cannons and a literal EMP built into it so you can use that to cheat your way through.

Always have the food health regen buff active. The other buffs are useful too(remember to always grab an energy drink from the fridge before leaving your apartment), but the food buff is available from food stands all over so you never really need to go out of your way to get it, and it makes things a lot easier for you overall.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just bought Dragon Age: Inquisition and after spending a few hours I'm not very impressed. Still in the first area (hinterlands), and the game seems like a single player MMO. I mean, fetch quests for 10 pieces of ram meat?. Does it get any better or should I just cut my losses here already?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Skilleddk posted:

I just bought Dragon Age: Inquisition and after spending a few hours I'm not very impressed. Still in the first area (hinterlands), and the game seems like a single player MMO. I mean, fetch quests for 10 pieces of ram meat?. Does it get any better or should I just cut my losses here already?

Leave the Hinterlands and go advance the plot. This goes for any of the open world areas in the game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

exquisite tea posted:

Leave the Hinterlands and go advance the plot. This goes for any of the open world areas in the game.

Seriously. This game can somehow become far more boring than grinding in your average MMO if you let it so make sure you are advancing the plot. Doing some side stuff for companions is nice (and anything that sounds fun or interesting), but don't get bogged down in all of the 'go kill 12 deer' kind of stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Skilleddk posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition IS designed like a single player MMO, but the way all MMOs have been going the last several years is to provide waaaay more quests than the player needs to advance, so you can pick and choose which ones sound like fun.

So pick and choose not to do the 10 pieces of ram meet and leave the loving hinterlands instead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i was shocked how short the campaign is once you get passed all the waiting. its like 12 missions iirc.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Skilleddk posted:

Inquisition's thread here on SA literally has "LEAVE THE HINTERLANDS" in its OP so yeah.

You're not supposed to do all the quests in one playthrough unless you want to be seriously overleveled. Just do whichever ones sound fun, or come back to grind if you're stuck in a hard zone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sleeping Dogs - environmental moves take enemies out of the fight immediately and you don't need to soften them up before you do one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anything for Talos Principle? I'm mostly worried about if there's missable things.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
thanks, didn't know there was an active DA:I thread!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Selane posted:

For the races, this isn't GTA so you can cheat all you want to win. Get used to using the ram ability, but later on you get (gameplay, but not story spoilers)some ridiculous spy car with gatling cannons and a literal EMP built into it so you can use that to cheat your way through.

That spoiler involves a piece of DLC, the Wheels of Fury pack. I'm not sure if you can play these DLC missions from the start of the game, but they start in the south-west section of the map and are worth doing ASAP. That car is really awesome.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Poison Mushroom posted:

Anything for Talos Principle? I'm mostly worried about if there's missable things.

Nothing's missable, once you've unlocked an area you can go back to it whenever you want. This is good because if you're like me, you'll read a guide for the later puzzles and then find out there were puzzles in the early stages you didn't even know existed.

Otherwise, read the terminals, find the audio logs, and take some time out to explore. The story is fairly straight-forward but the terminals/logs provide a lot of good backstory. You can also access the logs whenever you want after you've found them if you want to go over them again.

Also, you'll blow up a few times, I guarantee it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Poison Mushroom posted:

the game makes you think at first that only the green puzzles are necessary for progress but that becomes untrue quickly. the yellow ones unlock items that are necessary for progress and red ones eventually show up once you clear the tutorial area and realize the scope of the game. the only things that are truly unnecessary are the stars.

nothing is missable because its all clearly labeled for you

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Deltasquid posted:

Inquisition's thread here on SA literally has "LEAVE THE HINTERLANDS" in its OP so yeah.

You're not supposed to do all the quests in one playthrough unless you want to be seriously overleveled. Just do whichever ones sound fun, or come back to grind if you're stuck in a hard zone.

Also, do The Inquisition Needs BEEEEEEES once it comes up, then bench Sera forever.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sleeping Dogs - You're Chinese Batman. Counterpunch everyone.
Oh, and if you get ahold of a pistol semi-early, it can hilariously short-circuit some of the sidequest events. Don't be afraid to use it from time to time.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

To add to what the other person said about collectibles: if you get a girl's number, call them and set up a date. They'll put collectibles on your map.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is Wasteland 2 (directors cut) basically just like Fallout 2 or am I going in with the wrong expectations?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is Wasteland 2 (directors cut) basically just like Fallout 2 or am I going in with the wrong expectations?

Not exactly. Its more like Baldur's Gate mixed with... Oregon Trail? :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Wasteland and Fallout both kind of do their own thing, but the original Wasteland is what inspired the original Fallout so they definitely have their similarities. If you know your way around and have an appreciation for old-school RPGs from the Fallout 2 era then you should probably be fine either way.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Kanfy covered the fundamentals. The difference between the game focusing on a person in Fallout 2 versus a squad in Wasteland 2 is fairly significant, from the way conversations feel to the kind of combat tactics expected of you, but there is definitely a good amount of overlap.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Dr. Quarex posted:

Kanfy covered the fundamentals. The difference between the game focusing on a person in Fallout 2 versus a squad in Wasteland 2 is fairly significant, from the way conversations feel to the kind of combat tactics expected of you, but there is definitely a good amount of overlap.

The most important thing about wasteland 2 i feel is that you have just enough slots (6x4 people) to take 1 of every non combat skill, and 1 combat skill per person, provided you pick only 1 conversational skill out of the 3 that exist. Also, especially if you're playing on harder difficulties, the game plays like xcom basically where you're moving each person into cover advancing forward, until you either start combat by shooting something or something sees you first, at which point you go into turn based combat mode. You can greatly influence the entire battle if your guys are set up and spread out and not clumped together when an enemy sees you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Man. I'm bad at not spending money. Anything for Eldritch or Titan Souls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Man. I'm bad at not spending money. Anything for Eldritch or Titan Souls?

Titan Souls:

Don't worry about trying to kill a boss as soon as you walk in a room. You will die multiple times on pretty much every boss, so don't waste your time trying to hit them until you have a sense of their movement patterns. Just dodge their attacks until that's the case, then try for attacking them.

Some bosses are significantly easier if you start the fight off right, so if it feels like you've lost control of the flow of the battle, it may be worth dying to start over. Most bosses only take two or three hits though, IIRC.

Don't forget that you can hit an enemy two ways: when you actually fire your arrow, and when you draw it back to yourself. You will need to use the latter method in clever ways at times.

In classic adventure game fashion, your arrow will start on fire if you shoot it through a flame. This is probably obvious, but you'll end up doing it quite a bit.