Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I think I'm already leaning towards yes but need that last bit of confirmation. I'm looking at picking up the Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle, and the 1TB one is £20 more than the 500GB one. Would people agree that its worth spending the extra £££ and getting double the storage capacity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

axleblaze posted:

I'm seriously wondering what AAA games do they even have that they are likely at all to give away that would be worth a drat?

The platform is old enough that it's got a clear second tier of games now. The Order. Thi4f. Killzone Shadowfall. Any of the zillion HD remaster of games that weren't smash hits, like Metro. Wolfenstein TNO was on sale for $10 on Black Friday, it can't be that much of a cash cow these days.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

axleblaze posted:

I'm seriously wondering what AAA games do they even have that they are likely at all to give away that would be worth a drat?

killzone and infamous!!

knack if we're lucky

Ludicro posted:

I think I'm already leaning towards yes but need that last bit of confirmation. I'm looking at picking up the Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle, and the 1TB one is £20 more than the 500GB one. Would people agree that its worth spending the extra £££ and getting double the storage capacity?

Yes. I got the 1 TB bo3 bundle it's dope. 2tb is way more than I need but 500 is just too small to have a handful of games downloaded ready to go

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ludicro posted:

If it's only 20 pounds more then I say definitely for for the 1TB upgrade

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

axleblaze posted:

dying light and guilty gear are off the top of my head

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/682242717779386368

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not a very exciting month for the ol ps+

I guess grim fandango will be cool to have around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drat I forgot how good that Twitter is. "Hideo Kojima is the last good thing Konami will release" :masterstroke:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Run you pigeons! It's Manny Calavera!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've no interest in the Grim Fandango port myself, since it's not actually a very good game and doesn't really have any replay value whatsoever, but I hope they didn't ruin the music like usually happens because drat it had some of the finest music production I'd ever heard in a video game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

haveblue posted:

The platform is old enough that it's got a clear second tier of games now. The Order. Thi4f. Killzone Shadowfall. Any of the zillion HD remaster of games that weren't smash hits, like Metro. Wolfenstein TNO was on sale for $10 on Black Friday, it can't be that much of a cash cow these days.

I think Sony wants everybody to forget about The Order at this point.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What's that recommended HDD I should buy if I want to replace the 500gb one?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ludicro posted:

You're going to want to replace that stock drive. The only question is if you buy the 1TB bundle now or if you get a cheap 1TB drive and replace it yourself. (Its a VERY VERY easy swap)

Probably cheaper to just go ahead, although then you can't get a 7200rpm drive or an SSD.

EC posted:

IDK pretty much anything really

I got a 1TB 7200 drive that was as cheap as possible and it works like a champ. HDDs are HDDS.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

axleblaze posted:

the most recent infamous game would be a perfect fit for a ps+ game. hell, the original infamous was one of the first games they gave away. at this point the last of us is old enough for it as well

as for third party, they have things like far cry (to mirror xbox one getting black flag a while ago), shadows of mordor, or the base game of destiny. really anything that is a year or more old, since that seems to have been the cut off for it on ps3. like how they had bioshock infinie on ps+ the year after it was released

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Manatee Cannon posted:

the most recent infamous game would be a perfect fit for a ps+ game.

It was free ages ago.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

2tb Seagate Backup Slim pop out of enclosure. (Right goons?)
Boom.

Unless you want a hybrid 1tb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nah that was first light, the smaller thing starring one of the main characters from the big release

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I guess EU PS+ people got an email for the PS+ games in Jan. with a code for the Grim Fandango theme. Any idea if NA people will get this as well? I really want that theme :3:

where do i sign up for these emails? i didn't get this or the bloodborne theme

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Infamous Second Son *is* really good.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

dying light and guilty gear are off the top of my head

Not a chance for dying light, they're about to "taken king" it and re-release a tweaked version for full price.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

EC posted:

Feenix posted:

2tb Seagate Backup Slim pop out of enclosure. (Right goons?)
Boom.

Unless you want a hybrid 1tb.
Yep, that's the one. You can find it on sale at Costco all the time for $70-80 if you're impatient.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I want the kid with video powers from Infamous to get his own little subchapter too.. But only Neon girl will because she's *dark* and *edgy*

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Finally a couple of decent games, except I have them already.

Plus has really gone downhill since it became mandatory for online multiplayer(which absolutely everyone saw coming). Since I don't play online multiplayer, I finally just let it lapse for the first time ever and I don't really see myself re-upping.

These posts are now the way I know it's the end of the month. Good grief.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Lblitzer posted:

These posts are now the way I know it's the end of the month. Good grief.

:rolleyes: Sorry for giving an opinion about a service I pay for (and have been for over five years). What the hell is your problem? I've pretty much never said anything about it, and just mentioned it now because I'm letting it lapse after the service went way downhill over the past two years, which it definitely did. Obviously you won't have to see me complain about it again.

It's not imagined on my or others' part. We used to be excited about the Plus lineup because it was loving awesome and was one of the few pluses (hurr) of PS3 versus 360.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Infamous: Second Son is the most fun X-Men game I've played.
It really is pretty much X-Men though. Even the protagonist is basically a male Rogue.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

If you don't appreciate PS+ indy shovelware you are literally scum of the earth

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Zaphod42 posted:

You're going to want to replace that stock drive. The only question is if you buy the 1TB bundle now or if you get a cheap 1TB drive and replace it yourself. (Its a VERY VERY easy swap)

Probably cheaper to just go ahead, although then you can't get a 7200rpm drive or an SSD.

Whats wrong with the stock drive and why would it preclude me from a 7200rpm drive or SSD?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Reverse Centaur posted:

If you don't appreciate PS+ indy shovelware you are literally scum of the earth

:lol: (I guess I'll have to subscribe once I get to MGS5 and, more specifically, MGO. At the rate I'm progressing through MGS4 they'll probably have closed the servers by then though.)

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I just posted this but it cannot be reiterated enough: Rainbow Six Siege is SO BUGGY. Lots of clipping into walls, but it's particularly the network infrastructure and getting into/out of matches. I've had it for 2 days and I've had to close the application at least 8 times.

Despite that, though, it's a ton of fun with a few buddies. So yeah. I hope it goes on sale soon, it's really hard to justify the full price tag to other people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a cop posted:

I just posted this but it cannot be reiterated enough: Rainbow Six Siege is SO BUGGY. Lots of clipping into walls, but it's particularly the network infrastructure and getting into/out of matches. I've had it for 2 days and I've had to close the application at least 8 times.

Despite that, though, it's a ton of fun with a few buddies. So yeah. I hope it goes on sale soon, it's really hard to justify the full price tag to other people.

Is it multi-player only?

e: I mean I could've just Binged it I guess. Too bad it doesn't have a single-player game. I really like Rainbow Six games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
$4 a month is not really a high price point to expect free AAA games, you have to admit.

Like I literally spend that much every day on lunch. Usually triple that much if I want to eat something that's good.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it multi-player only?

e: I mean I could've just Binged it I guess. Too bad it doesn't have a single-player game. I really like Rainbow Six games.

Yup. Besides "situations" which are just multiplayer stuff with bots and terrorist hunt, which is old-school rainbow six terrorist hunt.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: (I guess I'll have to subscribe once I get to MGS5 and, more specifically, MGO. At the rate I'm progressing through MGS4 they'll probably have closed the servers by then though.)

mgo is not what you should subscribe to ps+ for

it's not very good, and plus the online stuff for the singleplayer is dumb

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

precision posted:

$4 a month is not really a high price point to expect free AAA games, you have to admit.

Like I literally spend that much every day on lunch. Usually triple that much if I want to eat something that's good.

Free new ones maybe, but they gave out plenty of (older) non-indie games all the time on PS Plus from 2010-2013. Whether you think it's still worth it or not, the bottom line is it has gone way down in quality, and Games With Gold is way better now, which is a complete reversal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

precision posted:

The key here is "a month". If I bought all the games that have been on PS+ for the PS4 that I actually wanted, I would've paid less and I could still (possibly) play them ten years from now without having to keep paying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

:rolleyes: Sorry for giving an opinion about a service I pay for (and have been for over five years). What the hell is your problem? I've pretty much never said anything about it, and just mentioned it now because I'm letting it lapse after the service went way downhill over the past two years, which it definitely did. Obviously you won't have to see me complain about it again.

It's not imagined on my or others' part. We used to be excited about the Plus lineup because it was loving awesome and was one of the few pluses (hurr) of PS3 versus 360.

I didn't mean to single you out. My problem is is that every month we have people who are fed up with crappy indies that don't realize that ever since the PS4's inception it has been a requirement for online play. For Xbox 360 on it's always been like that. I mean for me getting a bunch of free games throughout the year for $60 is worth it and I don't even have anything but a PS4, but I'd do it anyways because I like to play online video games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nail Rat posted:

Free new ones maybe, but they gave out plenty of (older) non-indie games all the time on PS Plus from 2010-2013. Whether you think it's still worth it or not, the bottom line is it has gone way down in quality, and Games With Gold is way better now, which is a complete reversal.

I mean, you're not wrong, but I think that's probably a function of the PS4 being a runaway frontrunner in the Current Console War (we have always been at war with Microsoft!)

If I had to guess, I think around this summer we'll start to see some really good Plus picks to keep the people who bought one for Christmas and have burned through the catalog happy.

For me, it's obviously still worth it because it's so little money and I still have a PS3 that I can download an assload of free games for (many of which are good and I still haven't played!)

If all you have is a PS4 and you don't play online stuff, then yeah, I guess wait until PS+ starts handing out free copies of Inquisition or whatever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Lblitzer posted:

I didn't mean to single you out. My problem is is that every month we have people who are fed up with crappy indies that don't realize that ever since the PS4's inception it has been a requirement for online play. For Xbox 360 on it's always been like that. I mean for me getting a bunch of free games throughout the year for $60 is worth it and I don't even have anything but a PS4, but I'd do it anyways because I like to play online video games.

It's a tiresome clockwork cycle every month

- boy I can't wait to play _____ for free!!
- wow no AAA games Sony?
- what the gently caress all these poo poo indies
- I pay for this!?
*closes something awful, plays ps4*

What if we isolated all the ps+ chat including all the games to the ps store/ps+ thread that way we don't have 4 pages of this poo poo every month

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that cycle is why it's surprising they haven't done it yet

a lot of people complain about it, so you'd think they'd do something with it. they do have some launch first party games that probably aren't making them much money anymore, even if they aren't what people would be most excited for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

a cop posted:

I got it for $40 a couple days ago, it was part of that last flash sale

• Locked thread