Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

If your alternator isn't also a bolt-type belt tensioner then you don't understand the glory of multi-tasking brackets for the sake of packaging and engineering :japan: :911:

Not only that but I have to loosen the pivot bolt too which needs the two piece stone guard removed. Also:

quote:

Alternator
Every 10.000 Km carefully dress the alternator slip rings with glass cloth, check the brushes
for wear and seating and replace them if necessary. The brushes should move easily in the
holders and should have no chippings. When the car is driven constantly on dusty and dirty
roads perform this operation more frequently.

Sounds too much like :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wait there are cars that don't use the alternator as a tensioner? :aaa:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

some texas redneck posted:

That bit me in the rear end myself. Didn't replace the tensioner when it shat out a belt, now anytime I hit a decent puddle the alternator light comes on. :doh:

Used a Dayco belt, so it's not like I went with a crappy belt.

*replaces old alternator and serpentine belt*

"Hmm....new alternator's squeaking like a motherfucker, I wonder if I got a hold of a bad...........poo poo."

*promptly replaces belt tensioner*

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

General_Failure posted:

Not only that but I have to loosen the pivot bolt too which needs the two piece stone guard removed. Also:

That sounds painfully familiar... its either remove the bashplates, which are 3mm steel, or pull the intercooler hoses to get to the adjuster on the alternator. Its a pain in the ring when the bastards stretch in.

At least theres twin V belts so they dont tend to slip too often.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Collateral Damage posted:

My Wrangler has the tensioner on the same bracket, does that count?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Enourmo posted:

buncha scrub rear end "modern car" owners in here relying on springs and whatnot for belt tension

my car uses bolt type tensioners and this is a good thing :clint:

what's even better is when the loving tensioner is the power steering pump, and you have to loosen 4 bolts (2 hidden behind brittle plastic fuel line fittings, 1 hidden behind the belt) and then tension the belt using a ~10cm 8mm bolt that's seized to the tensioner block and is very uncomfortable to access

and then the loving bolt breaks

and none of the parts stores have one because it's a special snowflake bolt

This is why I strongly recommend anyone with a jeep 4.0L motor that doesn't use a spring tensioner manage to get their hands on a spare tensioner bolt before they ever touch this mess. The tensioner block is nice to have too, but usually a propane torch, some aerokroil, and a pair of vise grips get the stub out, then you just run an M8x1.25 tap through it to clear the threads out and it's good as new.

Subarus are even more retarded, they have the alternator tension the PS/alternator belt and a stupid LEFT HANDED loving THREAD M8x1.25 bolt push the tensioner pulley for the A/C, except it's threaded into a piece of bullshit plastic that snaps in half if you look at it funny so haha gently caress you.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The spring loaded belt tensioner on the VR6 block has a little ear you can run a bolt through to back the tension off, but if you have a replacement with a housing made of chinesium that ear will snap right off. Fortunately, the bolt through the pulley is left hand thread and moving lefty-tighty with a breaker bar will lever the tension arm down. Until chinesium strikes again and the bolt strips out, so you go out to the project VR6 car in the garage (every VW owner should have a second VR6 for parts) and steal its tensioner, rendering it yet another part further away from ever leaving the garage under its own power. (but letting the other one get you to work)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Collateral Damage posted:

My car has a computer controlled hydraulic tensioner which changes tension based upon electrical and hydraulic load on the belt. There is a separate hydraulic pump for the belt tensioner, and a separate belt tensioner fluid reservoir and cooler. The fluid used is Toyota Belt Tensioner Fluid, it costs around $120/qt.

Just kidding, it's a regular sprung automatic tensioner. The alternator is fixed. Most of this is true for the engine fan, though, because electric fans are so difficult to produce, I guess.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 30, 2015

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

kastein posted:

what's even better is when the loving tensioner is the power steering pump, and you have to loosen 4 bolts (2 hidden behind brittle plastic fuel line fittings, 1 hidden behind the belt) and then tension the belt using a ~10cm 8mm bolt that's seized to the tensioner block and is very uncomfortable to access

and then the loving bolt breaks

and none of the parts stores have one because it's a special snowflake bolt

This is why I strongly recommend anyone with a jeep 4.0L motor that doesn't use a spring tensioner manage to get their hands on a spare tensioner bolt before they ever touch this mess. The tensioner block is nice to have too, but usually a propane torch, some aerokroil, and a pair of vise grips get the stub out, then you just run an M8x1.25 tap through it to clear the threads out and it's good as new.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. Waiting to bust the 2 fuel lines next time I dick with my 4.0L belt. Luckily, I coated that stupid long-rear end bolt in anti-seize years ago. The other PS bolts are a pain in the dick to get to though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The tensioner bolt in the old Maximas had a habit of deforming but not breaking which was really unsettling.

Once in a while you'd get belt squeal and then have to tighten this twisted bolt and hope for the best

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kastein posted:

Subarus are even more retarded, they have the alternator tension the PS/alternator belt and a stupid LEFT HANDED loving THREAD M8x1.25 bolt push the tensioner pulley for the A/C, except it's threaded into a piece of bullshit plastic that snaps in half if you look at it funny so haha gently caress you.

Well, modern Subarus aren't like this since there's only one belt because there's no power steering pump anymore.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slack3r posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. Waiting to bust the 2 fuel lines next time I dick with my 4.0L belt. Luckily, I coated that stupid long-rear end bolt in anti-seize years ago. The other PS bolts are a pain in the dick to get to though.

Yeah, the first thing I do on any new-to-me jeep serp belt project is find my spare (it's different on 95- vs 96+) and make sure it's ready to use, then finagle the one out of the jeep, try cleaning it up (wire wheel the threads on each side of the tension block, then aerokroil and propane torch USUALLY breaks it free) and then just snap it in half if it won't come out nicely. It's just a terrible design, the 96+ ones are slightly less annoying since it's only one accessible pinch bolt and the tension bolt instead of the inaccessible tension bolt and four pinch bolts.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
:aaaaa: When did they switch to the spring tensioner on the 4.0? I'm definitely glad that I don't have to gently caress with poo poo like that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

My car has a computer controlled hydraulic tensioner which changes tension based upon electrical and hydraulic load on the belt. There is a separate hydraulic pump for the belt tensioner, and a separate belt tensioner fluid reservoir and cooler. The fluid used is Toyota Belt Tensioner Fluid, it costs around $120/qt.

Just kidding, it's a regular sprung automatic tensioner. The alternator is fixed. Most of this is true for the engine fan, though, because electric fans are so difficult to produce, I guess.

If you'd said this was a VW/Audi I'd have believed you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

All MJs, XJs, I believe all YJs, and possibly some TJs got the bolt tensioner. Not sure. WJs and late TJs (unsure of year split) I believe had the spring tensioner.

e: I would have believed that too if you were talking about Mercedes. Also, hydraulic and e-clutched mechanical fans are a thing because it's far more efficient to run a fan mechanically, and far cheaper, the only downside is when you don't need all that air moved, so you put an electronic clutch on it to throttle the fan down and get the best of both worlds. The problem is that electronic clutches are somewhat of a wear item, so they get lovely on high mileage vehicles and end up with a bad reputation.

e: the Atlas LL8 uses one, along with many 6.0L powerstroke trucks. The last page of this PDF covers how they work: http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/Hayden%20Fan%20Clutch%20Design%20Types.pdf

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 30, 2015

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

kastein posted:

Yeah, the first thing I do on any new-to-me jeep serp belt project is find my spare (it's different on 95- vs 96+) and make sure it's ready to use, then finagle the one out of the jeep, try cleaning it up (wire wheel the threads on each side of the tension block, then aerokroil and propane torch USUALLY breaks it free) and then just snap it in half if it won't come out nicely. It's just a terrible design, the 96+ ones are slightly less annoying since it's only one accessible pinch bolt and the tension bolt instead of the inaccessible tension bolt and four pinch bolts.

Wait, am I just super lucky that my bolt tensioner was totally cooperative each time I had to pull it from the XJ? Am I just waiting for a world of pain soon?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The tensioner for the 3.5 in the Odyssey is notorious for breaking off the tensioner studs whatever you wanna call those. Aftermarket or OEM it makes no difference. And it's almost impossible to not break it because there's no room to get In there.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It could be worse, It could be a 4th gen eclipse tensioner where you have to double up on wrenches (because you don't have the room to get a socket and ratchet back there and there is an engine in the way from above) to get it loose enough to slip the belt on and oh wait you broke the whole loving thing. gently caress you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:stare: That's a mighty big piece of...engine block(?) on there.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Godholio posted:

:stare: That's a mighty big piece of...engine block(?) on there.

Looks like a broken in half serpentine belt tensioner to me. The springy part and other half of the arm still bolted to the engine. Nothing that can't be swapped out. It's probably off some fwd v6 with no clearance so you have to jack the engine up and remove the motor mounts, though :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its off an 07 4 cylinder eclipse a friend of mine owns. The bolt that holds the pulley on the tensioner assembly thing (which is the broken chunk in that picture) faces in towards the engine with under an inch of clearance between it and something large and metal. If it was on the other side, it would be easily accessable with even the fender well in and we couldn't have that! The bolts to replace the whole assembly were all easy accessable to add insult to injury.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
cross posting from my thread.

My roommattes 88 Cressida Diff that locked on the highway at 80kmph after months of screeching.

new used lsd unit:

2 wheel burnouts coming to a street near you.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

What did the technician do with the bunny?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seqenenra posted:

What do you think they did with the bunny?

:unsmigghh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

They did a 2 wheel bunout? (And into the arms of a loving family or a responsible rescue/shelter :ohdear:)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Wiring and
wiring and
wiring and
wiring and
wiring and

Eatin the bunny

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Seqenenra posted:

If it happened to get ahold of the primary, then it coulda fricaseed itself.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seqenenra posted:

"...in which 14" smokes Wild Rabbit."

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I noticed some movement under a truck that I had parked in my driveway and went over to see what it was. Got down and looked uder it and didn't see anything, looked around the yard and still nothing. Popped the hood and found this -

A big rear end groundhog chilling next to the motor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Hold it by it's rear legs, but don't let them touch (they freak out). Club it at the base of the skull in a downward motion. Chicken bouillon cubes work reasonably well with fluffy bunny stew.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 31, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Could have cleared that check engine light by adding another cat.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 31, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Godholio posted:

Hold it by it's rear legs, but don't let them touch (they freak out). Club it at the base of the skull in a downward motion. Chicken bobouillon cubes work reasonably well with fluffy bunny stew.

Some fella I knew at uni was amazed you could buy rabbits for eating when he went to our local market. Bought one, tried to make casserole.

Didn't skin it first.

Fluffy bunny stew indeed.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Plz don't give Audi/VW any more ideas, k thx.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

No joke, I had a squirrel pull out some the wires from the control board which controls all the touchscreen stuff in my car.

It would no longer read the navigation card, and none of the USB ports worked anymore. Thankfully it didn't eat anything, and it was just a matter of getting it all reconnected.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently mice like toyota wire covering my parents have lived in the country and had Hondas Subaru and toyotas, toyota wires got eaten by mice a few times, dealer confirmed they had this issue quite often. They tried traps in the car outside the csr, parking further away no wind, eventually sold it and got another Subaru no issues with mice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ewiley posted:

Wait, am I just super lucky that my bolt tensioner was totally cooperative each time I had to pull it from the XJ? Am I just waiting for a world of pain soon?

If you're in the rustbelt you're lucky, otherwise, news at 11.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Honda actually has TSBs about rodent damage to the knock sensor wiring harness on V6 models.

Honda also sells OEM RODENT DETERRENT TAPE http://www.amazon.com/Honda-4019-2317-Rodent-Tape/dp/B00AJTG3N0

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cakefool posted:

Some fella I knew at uni was amazed you could buy rabbits for eating when he went to our local market. Bought one, tried to make casserole.

Didn't skin it first.

Fluffy bunny stew indeed.

:o

They sold it with fur at the store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BraveUlysses posted:

:o

They sold it with fur at the store?

Market stall. Just be glad we're pretty sure it was a rabbit, not a cat.