Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

goose fleet posted:

How do people think college works when they make up these stories because for the most part it's just someone standing in front of a powerpoint lecture and reading off the slides so that you have to memorize things for multiple choice exams

Somebody did a variation of that speech at a high school graduation I went to years ago. Except instead of beer they used water (it being a HS graduation after all), so there was no ending "punchline", just the message of "try to cram as much poo poo into your day as possible, if you aren't spending every second being productive you're wasting time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And what's wrong with a literacy test? Shouldn't you have to know how to read before you vote?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Are these from when African Americans were first allowed to vote?

Also, what is question 30?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gross Dude posted:

Are these from when African Americans were first allowed to vote?

Also, what is question 30?

It's from 1964. Question 30 I'm pretty sure is to draw 5 circles that [share] one common interlocking part. I'm not really sure what that would look like, but that's the point.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I no longer think I'm literate

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Terrible lady in California was caught on camera beating the poo poo out of her boyfriend's pug. She definitely deserves to be charged for animal abuse. But for some reason half the posts I'm seeing about it are smug screeds about veganism???

quote:

But it's totally ok for them to do this to newborn pigs and twisting their tails off..

quote:

gently caress that poo poo cows n pigs get abused every day n that poo poo doesn't go viral

quote:

All animals are the Lord's creation this poo poo has got to stop (PETA link)

Etc, etc.

It's possible to care about more than one thing at a time. You can be upset about someone abusing another person's pet AND be against factory farming. It's the #AllLivesMatter equivalent of smugly negating a thing someone cares about, it's frustrating.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Well that went a direction I didn't expect.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's cruel as gently caress for someone who can't prove a fifth grade education

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aesop Poprock posted:

The letters that signify my degrees are longer than my name, and I'm not sure that I could get 100% on that obnoxious quiz.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
It's almost like they didn't want black people to vote

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The point of the test is to exploit the ambiguity and flunk everyone with too much melanin in their skin. It's not complicated.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

CeramicPig posted:

This would be true if it wasn't for your bladder, pelvic bone, intestines, and ligaments holding your uterus back. I can't imagine how heavy they think their uterus is. I'm sure these 350 lb women are blaming that small organ for their "pouch"

I expect that they're thinking of the small amount of fat at the very lower portion of the stomach, just above the mons pubis. Having fat around the pubic bone is normal, but women often get anxious about all kinds of barely noticeable "problem areas", so the professor might well have been reassuring students that there is meant to be an amount of fat in these sensitive areas. Although, as you say, the uterus isn't right at the front like that, and a lot of people have a rather more generous interpretation of "a small amount of fat" than is strictly healthy. So our Tumblr user might have grown a tiny bit confused in her excitement.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With that quiz, we had similar ones at school to test our ability to read and comprehend instructions. Those were even worse as the last question would invariably be "Ignore questions 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10." Although it did say "Read all the questions before answering" to be fair, I was just bad at that because I was 8.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles roll
ed into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous ‘yes.’

The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand.The students laughed..

‘Now,’ said the professor as the laughter subsided, ‘I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things—-your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions—-and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.. The sand is everything else—-the small stuff.

‘If you put the sand into the jar first,’ he continued, ‘there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.

Take care of the golf balls first—-the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, ‘I’m glad you asked.’ The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there’s always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

I've always been more partial to this version, also floating around social media:

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

NotAnArtist posted:

It's cruel as gently caress for someone who can't prove a fifth grade education

I don't understand what "draw a line around" means. They say to circle something in question 5 so it's not some colloquial way to say to circle something as far as I can tell.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Je suis fatigue posted:

I don't understand what "draw a line around" means. They say to circle something in question 5 so it's not some colloquial way to say to circle something as far as I can tell.

Well gee, maybe that's the point ?? It's almost as if they didn't want people to be able to solve it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Je suis fatigue posted:

The point of the test was to make it so vague they could decide who passed and who didn't based on other factors(like, say, skin color, for example)

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Also you were exempt from the test if your grandfather could vote. Which included all white people, and at least when literacy tests were first implemented, no black people. This is the origin of the phrase "grandfathered in."
edit: also the tests were administered in a racially discriminatory way, I've read primary sources indicating white southerners had to prove their literacy by reading the lord's prayer, which many knew by heart, while an educated black southerner had to demonstrate comprehension of esoteric constitutional law. When they showed their ability to do this they were asked another, nonsensical question, I don't remember exactly it was something like "How many bubbles are in a bar of soap?" Since they couldn't answer they were not allowed to vote.
In other words, there is always more and it is always worse.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Dec 30, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Captain Redbeard posted:

Also you were exempt from the test if your grandfather could vote. Which included all white people, and at least when literacy tests were first implemented, no black people. This is the origin of the phrase "grandfathered in."

Can I get a citation for this? Need it for a friend(so I can slam him in the head with it)

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

ShadowMar posted:

The biggest gently caress up is coming up with Islamophobia as if having your country invaded by Muslim pieces of poo poo does not increase assaults and rape, as if there's no threat of terrorism and in the future civil war and government takeover.

This is too good. They're so close to realising why Islamophobia is bullshit

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandfather_clause#cite_note-1
Here's where they say wikipedia isn't a source.
http://www.blackpast.org/aah/grandfather-clause-1898-1915
Here's where they say this site is too racially biased to be a source
http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/grandfather-clause-enacted
This one too
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/10/21/239081586/the-racial-history-of-the-grandfather-clause
Here's where they say NPR is too liberal to be a source
http://www.britannica.com/topic/grandfather-clause
Here's where they come up with some justification for why britannica isn't a reliable source. They will also have reasons why Merriam-Webster, the free dictionary, George Mason University, Cornell University, Reference.com, law.com, and U-S-history.com aren't reliable.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grandfather%20clause
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Grandfather+Clause
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5352/
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grandfather-clause
http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=826
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/grandfather_clause
http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h426.html
Any information which contradicts your friends preconceived notions will only further reinforce them. There is no cure for stupid.
I mean it. This information is not hidden, he could read any book of US history and learn this. He has gone through his life intentionally avoiding accumulating knowledge, no piece of information will change him.
But maybe he's a good friend anyway? In my opinion intelligence is an overvalued quality, I'd rather have a friend who's honest, fun and kind than smart.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Dec 30, 2015

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Je suis fatigue posted:

Draw a line around the corners of this circle.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Captain Redbeard posted:

Any information which contradicts your friends preconceived notions will only further reinforce them. There is no cure for stupid.

He does keep re-enlisting, so there is that.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Wanamingo posted:

Well gee, maybe that's the point ?? It's almost as if they didn't want people to be able to solve it

RFC2324 posted:

The point of the test was to make it so vague they could decide who passed and who didn't based on other factors(like, say, skin color, for example)

BOOM

http://selfdefinition.org/science/2...last%20page.pdf

400+ impeccably researched pages of why IQ tests, crainiometry and other apparent measures of "inteligence" are bullshit and usually racist (a PDF of a real book by a good author btw, not an idiot on social media but it fits the conversation and will give you guys no end of really good ammunition in arguments if your opponent can ever be bothered to listen)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Terrible lady in California was caught on camera beating the poo poo out of her boyfriend's pug. She definitely deserves to be charged for animal abuse. But for some reason half the posts I'm seeing about it are smug screeds about veganism???

I met a person like that irl a couple days ago.

I was in the subway and across of me were two women, one with her dog. The other one was with her family or something and every minute or so she's lean forward to look at woman-with-dog and say (addressing her family but clearly more than loud enough that the other woman could hear her) "venerate dogs but slaughter pigs? I don't get it." "I'm sure dog would taste super fine too eh?" "why do people eat pigs but like dogs? It's stupid. I bet dog sausage would be great" etc.

Seriously she must have banged out like 10 or 15 of those before I stepped out at my station. The other woman just kept ignoring her and held her dog on her lap. Probably the best way to react.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

BOOM

http://selfdefinition.org/science/2...last%20page.pdf

400+ impeccably researched pages of why IQ tests, crainiometry and other apparent measures of "inteligence" are bullshit and usually racist (a PDF of a real book by a good author btw, not an idiot on social media but it fits the conversation and will give you guys no end of really good ammunition in arguments if your opponent can ever be bothered to listen)

My IQ is higher than yours because I've read a book on why IQ tests are bullshit.

Fathis Munk posted:

I was in the subway and across of me were two women, one with her dog. The other one was with her family or something and every minute or so she's lean forward to look at woman-with-dog and say (addressing her family but clearly more than loud enough that the other woman could hear her) "venerate dogs but slaughter pigs? I don't get it." "I'm sure dog would taste super fine too eh?" "why do people eat pigs but like dogs? It's stupid. I bet dog sausage would be great" etc.

Seriously she must have banged out like 10 or 15 of those before I stepped out at my station. The other woman just kept ignoring her and held her dog on her lap. Probably the best way to react.

So she's saying we should eat loving anything that walks, got it.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Dec 30, 2015

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

I wish that would happen to me, I would talk loudly about how good this dog will taste when we get home, butcher, cook, and eat it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

EvilGenius posted:

So she's saying we should eat loving anything that walks, got it.

Well she and her family were overweight so maybe you're right and I completely missed the message on that one :aaaaa:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Well she and her family were overweight so maybe you're right and I completely missed the message on that one :aaaaa:

I picture a fat hambeast, salivating over the only edible object on the train.

"We eat cows! Why can't we eat dogs? Let me look at your delicious, I mean cute dog. Some cultures eat dogs! Oh God when does this train stop, I haven't eaten in 15 minutes!"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Emphasis mine.

quote:

The cool thing about the cringe channel is how neutral they are, they dont exclude anyone cringey, no matter if they are with the witch-huntery SJWs and their shield "if you dont agree with everything that we say, you are the loving devil!!". And autism is not a excuse to behave like a weirdo and cry because someone laughed, they have to accept that they are like a clown of nature. Internet its a place for direct opinions, the real world its the place for politness.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

No, dad. Stop hitting the Like button on these things. :(

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's almost like racists don't know the difference between countries. Nah. That couldn't be possible. All brown countries are the same and equally Mooslim, right?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TheKennedys posted:

It's almost like racists don't know the difference between countries. Nah. That couldn't be possible. All brown countries are the same and equally Mooslim, right?

ISIS is everywhere, and everyone who is brown is ISIS, regardless of national origin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpacePig posted:

ISIS is everywhere, and everyone who is brown is ISIS, regardless of national origin.

:tinfoil:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Usually I don't mind this kind of stuff that makes people feel better about grief and mourning, but this is just so utterly far fetched. Every time someone dropped a penny on the ground it means a dead person is chucking coins at you? A belief in the supernatural is fine, but this just seems like the most gullible thing possible.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
9:11 is a repeating number

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The spirits are responsible for inflation and I will not stand for it. Pennies from heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh no, not AOL or Dell. 99% chance this is a >10 year old e-mail forward about the Taliban or al-Qaeda with the group name changed.