Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

we pick on the new guys

Ooh, do I get to give them the Paddle of Rassilon this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Ooh, do I get to give them the Paddle of Rassilon this time?

I thought the first step is the watching of Doctor in Distress for 24 hours on a loop?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

we pick on the new guys

What did Peter Capaldi ever do to you?!?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Big Finish, the "extra" stuff for the Humble Bundle was revealed. Cyberman Parts 1-4 and a code to put 8 and Charlie into Doctor Who Legacy.

So is the bundle worth buying/beating the average/paying $15? I don't know anything about any of those other than the Fearmonger, which I already own.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

CommonShore posted:

So this was my first Series (Season) in this thread. What happens here while we wait for 10? Lots of Big Finish discussion?

We talk about the classic series and audios , which is just how I'd have it. I wish there were a classic thread year round but that idea always gets shot down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We could always do a Classic Who watch thing again. Every week or so, pick a story and we go over it and discuss stuff.

How about this for a schedule?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

E: ^^^^^^^ sure, why not. I haven't seen most of them. or am i missing a joke here?

CobiWann posted:

What did Peter Capaldi ever do to you?!?

he elevates bad writing to a level that makes me want to watch it. the rear end in a top hat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Picklepuss posted:

I'm probably not remembering this right, but wasn't a reviewer in that thread getting increasingly cranky about how much he or she didn't even like Dr. Who?

From my perspective, he went from absolutely hating the very thought of Doctor Who to being a huge fan. Or at the very least, he came to appreciate the potential that a show like Who has.

Anyway, picking on the new guy time - who the hell does this Patrick Troughton dude think he is? Robin Hood as the Doctor, pffft, like that'll ever work. It's a dumbing down of the show is what it is!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

it's all gone downhill since Hartnell left

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

E: ^^^^^^^ sure, why not. I haven't seen most of them. or am i missing a joke here?

No, no joke! I actually haven't seen most of those! I just went through a random story picker.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sometimes I agree with that. I occasionally forget how good stuff like "The Time Meddler" is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apparently this was Alan Moore's immediate reaction when he was invited to write some DWM comic strips in the 1970s (but he did it anyway because it was better than his current job cleaning toilets).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

And More posted:

Thanks for your suggestions, btw. I chose five that sounded promising. So far, The Last of the Cybermen was a blast,

I just listened to that one myself. The mixed up Doctors with old companions storyline is great so far. I listened to the Katy Manning/7 one as well. This one could have done with one line in the beginning or end by Frazer playing 2, but other than that it was great interaction. It does always make me sad whenever it's brought up that Jamie and Zoe lose their memories. You'd think BF would do some sort of retcon where the Doctor holds the Time Lords over a barrel or whines to Romana and has them make it right. Certainly there was an early companion chronicle with Jamie post War Games where a douchebag Time Lord gave Jamie his memories back for a few hours so it's not impossible. (I do know there's at least one post War Games Zoe story where this may or may not be addressed but I haven't got round to it yet)

I'm really looking forward to the 5/Vicki/Steven one because Peter and Maureen are right up there with Frazer as far as nailing their 20 year old voices and have great chemistry.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I don't know about that but its definitely gone downhill since Throughton left.

Bear in mind though that I haven't seen doctor's 5, 6,7 and 8, nor have I seen 4's last two seasons. So maybe those are actually a huge bump in quality and I'll be pleasantly surprised. :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Show lost its way after Carole Ann Ford left, hasn't been the same since :colbert:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Astroman posted:

I just listened to that one myself. The mixed up Doctors with old companions storyline is great so far. I listened to the Katy Manning/7 one as well. This one could have done with one line in the beginning or end by Frazer playing 2, but other than that it was great interaction. It does always make me sad whenever it's brought up that Jamie and Zoe lose their memories. You'd think BF would do some sort of retcon where the Doctor holds the Time Lords over a barrel or whines to Romana and has them make it right. Certainly there was an early companion chronicle with Jamie post War Games where a douchebag Time Lord gave Jamie his memories back for a few hours so it's not impossible. (I do know there's at least one post War Games Zoe story where this may or may not be addressed but I haven't got round to it yet)

I'm really looking forward to the 5/Vicki/Steven one because Peter and Maureen are right up there with Frazer as far as nailing their 20 year old voices and have great chemistry.

Yeah, it really bummed me out that they discuss it in so much detail, and then the Doctor just sadly admits that he can't do anything about it. It really makes the early Doctor feel a lot more vulnerable than his godlike modern incarnations. Considering how horribly the Time Lords tortured Capaldi's Doctor, maybe it's just been the absence of the Time Lords that made him at times seem so omnipotent, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 31, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Sometimes I agree with that. I occasionally forget how good stuff like "The Time Meddler" is.

I was going to post something but then you did it unironically and now anything I can come up will pale in comparison.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Anyway, picking on the new guy time - who the hell does this Patrick Troughton dude think he is? Robin Hood as the Doctor, pffft, like that'll ever work. It's a dumbing down of the show is what it is!

Jerusalem posted:

Show lost its way after Carole Ann Ford left, hasn't been the same since :colbert:

When I watched Doctor Who as a kid I actually picked it up early on in the Hartnell run. So I started at effectively the beginning and watched a story each week So a few months after I started watching I tuned in one week and they had changed the actor! It was a huge shock for me. I had gotten used to seeing companions come and go and knew I was somehow missing episodes even though I watched every Saturday night (they kept talking about this adventure with Marco Polo that I somehow missed), but a whole new guy playing the Doctor? That was pretty extreme! That new companion Jamie was pretty cool, though, and how did I miss that story involving the highlanders?

And just to make things worse, this was before Tomb of the Cybermen had been recovered so the story I got introduced to them with was The Dominators. And then to add insult to injury, for some reason they repeated the Dominators every week for a month. I came around, of course, but that was a pretty drastic shift that went very badly thanks to circumstances.

The benefit of watching the show this way was that when I stayed up half the night watching The War Games, the ending was completely worth it.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

The benefit of watching the show this way was that when I stayed up half the night watching The War Games, the ending was completely worth it.

God bless your 80s PBS station for running five hours of Doctor Who, probably from 9pm-2am. I feel like that ought to be some sort of rite of passage.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What's the right place to talk about the other cool Gatiss & Moffat production Sherlock? I'm quite excited for the special that'll air tomorrow.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's the right place to talk about the other cool Gatiss & Moffat production Sherlock? I'm quite excited for the special that'll air tomorrow.

I'd be surprised if a proper thread isn't made by someone. If that doesn't happen, this seems like the best thread for it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Apparently this was Alan Moore's immediate reaction when he was invited to write some DWM comic strips in the 1970s (but he did it anyway because it was better than his current job cleaning toilets).

Alan Moore being a grumpy git? Who'd have thought it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Terrance Dicks (one of the writers of the story) feels like The War Games sags in the middle and is basically just too long.

Terrance Dicks is wrong <:mad:>

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Got around to the Xmas episode, surprisingly good. It actually made sense, and a nice turnabout. Moffat is a frustratingly uneven showrunner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a Paul Cornell interview at a convention from a few years ago (I want to say circa 2011? He was asked whether the reason he hadn't written for the show since season three was because he'd fallen out with Moffat, and he clarified that they still get on but he was too busy with his novels and comics to fit in an episode of Doctor Who) where he mentions his recollections of receiving the series bible from Russell T Davies when work started on season one, and the first line (describing the Ninth Doctor, keep in mind) was something to the effect of, "The Doctor is a cheerful, friendly alien who has whimsical adventures across space and time."

It's something that's fascinated me ever since; I enjoy that sort of thing. I don't imagine it would be anything like Ronald D. Moore's 60-page BSG bible which had multi-page descriptions of Cylon religion, battlestar technical specifications and character histories, but it'd be really interesting to see how closely the outline matched the finished product, or how ideas changed as the episodes were made.

Perhaps I should write RTD a letter and ask him if he has a spare copy knocking around after 10 years. :v:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Terrance Dicks (one of the writers of the story) feels like The War Games sags in the middle and is basically just too long.

Terrance Dicks is wrong <:mad:>

I think you could definitely cut The War Games down to only six or eight excellent episodes, but why would you want to?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Because it's over 4 hours long?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

Because it's over 4 hours long?

That's your problem, not the serial.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

4 hours is a lot of hours.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The War Games is too long, but only by like an episode or two, which is pretty impressive for a ten episode serial. Also, I'll go on record as saying that about 95% of the classic series is too long anyway.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

4 hours is a lot of hours.

Of excellent programming and late 1960s joy.

I know who could ever want to remove a single frame!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Diabolik900 posted:

I think you could definitely cut The War Games down to only six or eight excellent episodes

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not like they're FORCING him to use his beard, he's just doing it out of convenience.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

EricFate posted:

It's not like they're FORCING him to use his beard, he's just doing it out of convenience.

Have an educational image, thread.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Chokes McGee posted:

I was going to post something but then you did it unironically and now anything I can come up will pale in comparison.

Nah, it was a pretty big, silly exaggeration. Still, Hartnell's run is pretty damned good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's a Paul Cornell interview at a convention from a few years ago (I want to say circa 2011? He was asked whether the reason he hadn't written for the show since season three was because he'd fallen out with Moffat, and he clarified that they still get on but he was too busy with his novels and comics to fit in an episode of Doctor Who) where he mentions his recollections of receiving the series bible from Russell T Davies when work started on season one, and the first line (describing the Ninth Doctor, keep in mind) was something to the effect of, "The Doctor is a cheerful, friendly alien who has whimsical adventures across space and time."

It's something that's fascinated me ever since; I enjoy that sort of thing. I don't imagine it would be anything like Ronald D. Moore's 60-page BSG bible which had multi-page descriptions of Cylon religion, battlestar technical specifications and character histories, but it'd be really interesting to see how closely the outline matched the finished product, or how ideas changed as the episodes were made.

Perhaps I should write RTD a letter and ask him if he has a spare copy knocking around after 10 years. :v:

You'd probably want to track down something like DWM's Complete Series One Companion special. I think it had something like that in it, but it was really just a few paragraphs. Nothing too in depth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

echoplex posted:

It's only been used for Face The Raven (and ep 12 if you count the flashbacks), and was redressed with new signs/shopfronts for Xmas. I'm glad we reused it - even if it was obvious - as it was a very nice set. It's a same they didn't see many of the signs, I did a lot of it in the old railway sign style (with some Thunderbirds thrown in, why not). Den of Geek seem to think that one of the shop fronts was named after Jamie Mathieson, but it wasn't, I named it after myself.

Oh cool, thanks! I wasn't sure if it got used in a few of the Victorian London stories as well, and I didn't have the episodes around to check.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Hmmm. What to watch this evening: City of Death or Brain of Morbius?

Also, rewatched The Five-ish Doctors the other day and it still holds up so well.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

City of Death has Romana and Julian Glover in it, seems an obvious choice to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi, thread! I showed my wife the Doctor Who 1996 movie tonight since it was about, you know, New Years'. It held up surprisingly well! I still wish Roberts hadn't gone full ham with the Master in the last 30 minutes, but at least it was fabulous :iamafag: I still like the movie even after all this time (time... time...) and it's always great to see Eight again.

Also timed it perfectly, the credits hit with 40 seconds to go before EST New Years. All the game, right here :mmmhmm:

• Locked thread