Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Mido posted:

for minimum "money transmission, know your customer" bullshit it should probably be elgarbo's accounts that get the $ straight from KS

makes sense to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Seems like once el garbo gets the proof he could make a quick ks vid where he shows the proof and says "hey kickstart this". Can we get some stretch goals like el garbo includes a precious australian artifact with your zine(s)? (An empty can of fosters)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Stretch goals:

12K: elgarbo makes a video of him explaining our arts to a random bogan
18K: bloomin' onion included with book
27k: Paul Hogan leaves you a voicemail about how a croc ate your copy (you really dont get one)
35K: We airbrush ansel's face on a kangaroo and get it day drunk

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I am totally okay with all of the above.

(Precious Australian artifact will actually need to be something obtainable and readily at hand, unlike a can of Fosters. Maybe the dried out corpse of a venomous spider? Or a live one for particular lols.)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Just set the "early bird special" to the real zine and everything above that is just a donation to elgarbo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Including a live huntsman spider with the zine would certainly spice things up.

8th-snype posted:

Stretch goals:

12K: elgarbo makes a video of him explaining our arts to a random bogan

See how many times the words poofter and wanker are used in response.

8th-snype posted:

35K: We airbrush ansel's face on a kangaroo and get it day drunk

There was an artist that went around central Australia spray paining roadkill and photographing it, bright orange and magenta kangaroos.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

There was an artist that went around central Australia spray paining roadkill and photographing it, bright orange and magenta kangaroos.

That sounds like something that should be on the back cover.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

alkanphel posted:

That sounds like something that should be on the back cover.

This got me thinking....

We're paying a little bit of a premium to have a cover made of some seriously nice heavy, matte cardstock. It'd be a shame to use it just for one photograph on the front and a graph on the back.

Maybe we need to find a photograph(s) that we can put on the back cover too?

Thoughts? If so - what photo?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

elgarbo posted:

This got me thinking....

We're paying a little bit of a premium to have a cover made of some seriously nice heavy, matte cardstock. It'd be a shame to use it just for one photograph on the front and a graph on the back.

Maybe we need to find a photograph(s) that we can put on the back cover too?

Thoughts? If so - what photo?

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Maggie Thatcher on the back cover

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Really? We are turning this thing onto an internet meme?
I know that this is just a forum zine, but since people are putting time and money into this, I figured we would try to not be too childish about it.

Anyways, I figure that in the matters of layout and such things like the back cover, the guys preparing the zine should have the autonomy to choose what they want. Since we all contributed 5 photos and only 2 get selected, the best runner ups could be used for that. Or whatever the head honcho decides he wants to do.

That way if we decide to do this again with different editors, we could have variety in presentation, style and material between issues.

Just my 2 sleep deprived cents.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
just to spite everyone it should be blank.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah I'd just vote with letting elgarbo pick the back cover image from all the submissions that didn't make it into the pages.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

I know that this is just a forum zine, but since people are putting time and money into this, I figured we would try to not be too childish.

Relax. Believe it or not, not every post on SA is a serious post.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dren posted:

Seems like once el garbo gets the proof he could make a quick ks vid where he shows the proof and says "hey kickstart this". Can we get some stretch goals like el garbo includes a precious australian artifact with your zine(s)? (An empty can of fosters)

Fosters isn't actually sold here, XXXX Gold and a goon sack would work though

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Fosters isn't actually sold here, XXXX Gold and a goon sack would work though

Only place I ever seem to see Fosters sold is on international flights for some reason.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Alright it's finished for real. I just selected an appropriate winner for the back page..

I could announce it... but it'd be more fun if it's just a surprise.

Now I'll send it off to get a proof made up. Not much is going to happen now for probably the next three weeks or so... so go out and start shooting poo poo photos for Volume 2.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Putrid Grin posted:

I know that this is just a forum zine, but since people are putting time and money into this, I figured we would try to not be too childish about it.

make this the blurb on the page package

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It should have been a picture of a cat in the same pool as the cover

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
i think the back should be an image of shortbus hailing satan while holding a pentax me super with a word bubble "that's paper"

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
or just this

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Just wanted to thanks all involved for keeping this moving, and for putting in time to help get it to this stage so smoothly. :)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Proof that not all Australian Dorkroomers are descendants of shiftless criminals.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

feigning interest posted:

i think the back should be an image of shortbus hailing satan while holding a pentax me super with a word bubble "that's paper"

im not making any promises but i'll see what i can do.

it'll be a k1000, kx, or lx though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

at least make it an lx

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

at least make it an lx

but i end up with much better photos from the k1000

most because the back won't open

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

You're in/near Hamilton, right? I'll be in your area tomorrow morning, and I have an ME and an ME Super.

EDIT: Also, awesome work Elgarbo and I'm very happy with this whole thing.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

You're in/near Hamilton, right? I'll be in your area tomorrow morning, and I have an ME and an ME Super.

EDIT: Also, awesome work Elgarbo and I'm very happy with this whole thing.

Yep, sittin' here looking across the strait at Vancouver Island from my comfortable home in... Hamilton :v:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Huh, I thought you were in southern Ontario for some reason, not GVA.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Huh, I thought you were in southern Ontario for some reason, not GVA.

That's me.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Any update on this? I'm *really* interested in seeing photos.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I spoke to the printing company yesterday. The proof should be printed today or tomorrow, and therefore in my hands in a couple of days.

I'll post a few teaser images here and set up the Kickstarter before the end of January.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

elgarbo posted:

I spoke to the printing company yesterday. The proof should be printed today or tomorrow, and therefore in my hands in a couple of days.

I'll post a few teaser images here and set up the Kickstarter before the end of January.

Awesome, thanks for putting in all the work!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

elgarbo posted:

:woop:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

elgarbo posted:

Awesome. I'm gonna buy a copy for my mom.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

TomR posted:

Awesome. I'm gonna buy a copy for my mom.

Cruel!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm gonna make my mom buy a copy.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

Looking forward to it!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay, this hulking monstrosity is lumbering closer to finality.

Picked up the (untrimmed and unbound) printing proof today. I'll try to get organised and put together the Kickstarter campaign within the next couple of days. Here's a preview, without giving too much away. It looks really rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

:getin:

• Locked thread