Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
haha giant bomb gave their most disappointing to a game that MURDERED THEIR CHILDHOOD over fallout 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
that's too bad, i like both series

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

i just wanted SMT: Tactics
instead i got 'please play persona 5, tia'

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Liver Disaster posted:

looks like smtxfe didnt turn into an idol game but it also doesnt look super great :rip:

wow that's a brutal debut week
13./00. [WIU] Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2015.12.26} (¥7.236) - 23.806 / NEW <40-60%>

(for comparison:
04./06. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 98.096 / 1.064.897 <80-100%> (+27%)
05./05. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥6.156) - 97.281 / 674.194 <80-100%> (+20%))

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

looks like the rift will debut closer to 6-700

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

thats a p hosed up rule 36 hurdle there

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Al! posted:

haha giant bomb gave their most disappointing to a game that MURDERED THEIR CHILDHOOD over fallout 4

fallout 4 was exactly what I expected it to be. i would say just cause 3 was my biggest disappointment of the year

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Al! posted:

looks like the rift will debut closer to 6-700

i need to build a beefier compy beforehand anyway

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I'm convinced that shits the future but I'm not going to early adopt anywhere above 450

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Undertale is the New Game You Have To Like Or You Don’t Get It. These sanctified vessels are selected by an organization that is either lofty or subterranean, I haven’t decided, and one of the cool things about being old is that I don’t care.

These hyper-earnest teens I got on my block are way into this stuff. I’m glad that someone is teaching them new words. But I can sense a kind of invisible maze go up when they start this conversation - they want to know if I can be trusted. If I’m like the others. They want to know if they can tell me the secret, and they will, provided I already know it. So I lied. I lied and lied and lied.

There is a popular mode now I have taken to calling Double Reverse Irony, where things are real but not real but no they’re actually real, that is just one step beyond where I’m interested. My policy when the next generation “does them” is informed by 2pac’s I Ain’t Mad At Cha, and I only get mad when people transform works into litmus tests. In the case of Undertale, I can’t abstract it enough to even look at it: I can’t hold it far enough away. The thing it is dismantling is too close to me.

Parody can be revelatory of weakness in the subject, but it can also reveal strength; it can reveal what’s left after the softest parts are washed away. Even when done in love, it has a caustic quality. An extended look at metals extraction probably isn’t appropriate for this paragraph, but I’m thinking about gold cyanidation and toxicity. The game is gleeful in its cannibalism of the medium, there’s blood all over its face but it’s smiling. It’s intimate with the tropes it has on display, and at this precise moment in time I’m discomfited by what it does with that familiarity.

It is insufficiently reverent, and does not perform the proper obeisances. Others like it for precisely these reasons. I’m delighted by the iconoclasm intellectually and repulsed by it viscerally; if nothing else, it’s providing an intense psychological workout.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Pinterest Mom posted:

Undertale is the New Game You Have To Like Or You Don’t Get It. These sanctified vessels are selected by an organization that is either lofty or subterranean, I haven’t decided, and one of the cool things about being old is that I don’t care.

These hyper-earnest teens I got on my block are way into this stuff. I’m glad that someone is teaching them new words. But I can sense a kind of invisible maze go up when they start this conversation - they want to know if I can be trusted. If I’m like the others. They want to know if they can tell me the secret, and they will, provided I already know it. So I lied. I lied and lied and lied.

There is a popular mode now I have taken to calling Double Reverse Irony, where things are real but not real but no they’re actually real, that is just one step beyond where I’m interested. My policy when the next generation “does them” is informed by 2pac’s I Ain’t Mad At Cha, and I only get mad when people transform works into litmus tests. In the case of Undertale, I can’t abstract it enough to even look at it: I can’t hold it far enough away. The thing it is dismantling is too close to me.

Parody can be revelatory of weakness in the subject, but it can also reveal strength; it can reveal what’s left after the softest parts are washed away. Even when done in love, it has a caustic quality. An extended look at metals extraction probably isn’t appropriate for this paragraph, but I’m thinking about gold cyanidation and toxicity. The game is gleeful in its cannibalism of the medium, there’s blood all over its face but it’s smiling. It’s intimate with the tropes it has on display, and at this precise moment in time I’m discomfited by what it does with that familiarity.

It is insufficiently reverent, and does not perform the proper obeisances. Others like it for precisely these reasons. I’m delighted by the iconoclasm intellectually and repulsed by it viscerally; if nothing else, it’s providing an intense psychological workout.

Penny Arcade Did Nothing Wrong

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
penny arcade has been pretty unfunny for a while now but those blogs have always been the worst things

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

is

is he upset that undertale Does Not Get jrpgs correctly enough to be a proper parodical deconstructory dissection of the genre

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
penny arcade shows that practice definitely does not make perfect

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

its just a cute fuckin adventure to prove that anime is real, whats maxing out his cores here

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

scamtank posted:

is

is he upset that undertale Does Not Get jrpgs correctly enough to be a proper parodical deconstructory dissection of the genre

he's upset that his diaper is full of poop and pee and it's giving him poop covered diaper rash and he's crying for someone to change his lovely diaper.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

i dunno what the gently caress that was but im not readin it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

he's upset that his diaper is full of poop and pee and it's giving him poop covered diaper rash and he's crying for someone to change his lovely diaper.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

scamtank posted:

its just a cute fuckin adventure to prove that anime is real, whats maxing out his cores here

sjws, real or imagined

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

cfo4s: explosive advanced receiver combat shotgun: 136 damage plus 15 area damage for hits which seems to be per buckshot so just hitting a wall near some motherfuckers instantly dismembers. daaamn.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Liver Disaster posted:

i dunno what the gently caress that was but im not readin it

ctrl+f dickwolves

no results found:ins:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
cgs:

getting ready for some blitzkrieg 101

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

wasnt grigsby's war in the pacific the one where completing the campaign takes actual irl years

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:mrgw:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pinterest Mom posted:

im the words

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ayy warframe is addicting

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i'm getting back into warframe after having burned myself out real bad. it's pretty good

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Pinterest Mom posted:

reminder that the penny arcade rpgs were super bad

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I hate faux-academic writing like this.

and also academic writing like this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Improbable Lobster posted:

i'm getting back into warframe after having burned myself out real bad. it's pretty good

exterminate missions are currently fuxed though, I guess they changed the spawns before holiday break and now the last few guys never spawn in a timely fashion

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

ayy warframe is addicting

Improbable Lobster posted:

godspeed tennos. it somehow became old to me very fast

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kalstrams posted:

I've put 35+ hours in in just a few days, vacation is awesome lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Symbolic Butt posted:

reminder that the penny arcade rpgs were super bad

i played the 8 bit one

i dont remember anything about it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I didn't read that giant wall of text except part of the last paragraph and loving lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

kalstrams posted:

I get it. I fell in and out of love with it pretty hard over the course of a week

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol people writing a comic about pop culture get sick of pop culture

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
cgs: woot. i blitzkrieged the hell out of the the road to minsk

8408 axis men lost
336696 soviet men lost

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

only 336k? sounds like a soviet victory to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Al! posted:

I'm convinced that shits the future but I'm not going to early adopt anywhere above 450

same

• Locked thread