Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, it's from the eighties, back when the left was stereotyped as godless athiests instead of best friends with Muslims and the Soviet Union really did oppress Christians pretty badly. It's still really dumb though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, it's from the eighties, back when the left was stereotyped as godless athiests instead of best friends with Muslims and the Soviet Union really did oppress Christians pretty badly. It's still really dumb though.

The left is still stereotyped that way; we have the War on Christmas every year. :black101:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

WickedHate posted:

Captain America punching out racists

This sounds pretty badass, and google isn't helping me find it. Please post this!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LordSaturn posted:

This sounds pretty badass, and google isn't helping me find it. Please post this!

I was talking about the storyline of the new Cap run, which I'm not reading but caused Fox News to throw a tantrum because the white supremacist bad guys are anti immigration. Have a consolation classic from a world where Steve was revived later than usual and replaced by a racist fascist:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

WickedHate posted:

That's nothing.

Batman seems so grumpy. "Harumph! I'm the one with the tools and gadgets!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

LordSaturn posted:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

LordSaturn posted:

Long story short, the new Sam Wilson Captain America series has started out with him taking on the Sons of the Serpent who have been abducting Mexicans at the border and talking about building walls and keeping foreigners out, etc. Lo' and behold, it turns out Fox News identifies more with the snake themed white supremacist super villains than Captain America.

http://comicsalliance.com/conservatives-vs-captain-america/

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

10 Beers posted:

Batman seems so grumpy. "Harumph! I'm the one with the tools and gadgets!"

"You guys, if the League is this hard up for cash, you could have just asked me"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Everything Counts posted:

"You guys, if the League is this hard up for cash, you could have just asked me"

Dude was bitten by a radioactive Mark McGrath

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Clamknuckle posted:

All I see is the Sovereign falling down a hole of Killingers.

At first, I saw Johnny Storm falling down a hole of Mole Men.

As for Captain America saying amazing stuff - I'm reminded of how Ben Urich (Frank Miller) described him in Daredevil:

"a soldier with a voice that could command a god -- and does."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Parahexavoctal posted:

As for Captain America saying amazing stuff - I'm reminded of how Ben Urich (Frank Miller) described him in Daredevil:

"a soldier with a voice that could command a god -- and does."

One of the single greatest pages in comic book history imo

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

WickedHate posted:

One of the single greatest pages in comic book history imo

What's that from? Is it just Daredevil:? Or Daredevil:Something?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

10 Beers posted:

What's that from? Is it just Daredevil:? Or Daredevil:Something?

It's from the main book, but it's probably the most famous Daredevil story ever: Born Again, by Miller and Mazzucchelli

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I was talking about the storyline of the new Cap run, which I'm not reading but caused Fox News to throw a tantrum because the white supremacist bad guys are anti immigration. Have a consolation classic from a world where Steve was revived later than usual and replaced by a racist fascist:

What issue was this from again? I know it's been brought up to a of times but I never took note of the specific issue and now I wanna read it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Senor Candle posted:

What issue was this from again? I know it's been brought up to a of times but I never took note of the specific issue and now I wanna read it.

What If v.1 #44, What If Captain America Were Revived Today?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Talk about evergreen content. They should just re-publish it with new art every decade.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Talk about evergreen content. They should just re-publish it with new art every decade.

No real need for new art

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

No real need for new art

OK, hope you like the gradient, digital colours they're gonna redo it with!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of Cap waking up in the 'present': I've started to consider it's pretty fortunate for Cap that he missed a lot of the controversial eras of American history post-WWII depending on how long modern writers want to say he's been back around.

Using the MCU as a guidepost for waking up in 2011, he slept through Korea, Communist Witch Hunts, Kennedy, the Civil Rights movement, Vietnam, Watergate, Iran-Contra, First Gulf War, a couple of fuel crises, White House scandals, 9/11, the War on Terror, etc. He never had to pick a side or make a stand on those issues as they were ongoing.

If he'd aged normally into those eras, would he have remained the same person or would having to pick sides during those times, make a stand, becoming a figure of greater controversy, have changed him and the public's perception of his life's work and his person? Admitted, as a comic book character for the last nearly 60 years since he was awoken HAS likely dealt with all these issues to some degree.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Nixon was the leader of the Secret Empire and Steve was so disgusted he quit being Captain America.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

WickedHate posted:

Nixon was the leader of the Secret Empire and Steve was so disgusted he quit being Captain America.

no see those were highly trained actors and

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Once again, I'm compelled to post the most badass panel in comics history. Those of you familiar with 2000AD and Judge Dredd should know where I'm going with this. It is, of course, Judge Death Lives. A 32-page story across four issues of 2000AD in August 1981, it's been reprinted more than any Judge Dredd story (and is in Case Files 05 for latecomers).

Following his incarceration in the first story, Judge Death is released by his three lieutenants, Judges Fire, Fire and Mortis, and together then unleash a torrent of mayhem on the Billy Carter Block. Judge Dredd and Psi Judge Anderson — who stopped and incarcerated Death the first time he entered Mega-City One — follow to try to put an end to the Dark Judges' slaughter once and for all. Judge Fear, having literally scared plenty of people to death, is about to make the biggest mistake of his (un)life.

2000 AD Prog 227, written by John Wagner and Alan Grant, art by the incredible Brian Bolland.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dredd is just the coolest. :allears:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

It's amazing how something written 40 odd years ago can be the best rebuttal to Trump's "Make America great again" campaign.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
One of the first comic books I ever read (I actually think it was my first) was Judge Dredd vs Batman? I think dredd was the death dredd and not the proper judge dredd

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

AkumaHokoru posted:

One of the first comic books I ever read (I actually think it was my first) was Judge Dredd vs Batman? I think dredd was the death dredd and not the proper judge dredd

Is that the one where Dredd slugs Batman unconscious and unmasks him in like three panels? That ruled.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

Sounds like the first crossover they did. Judge Death escapes to Gotham, Batman uses Death's dimension-warp and ends up in Mega-City One where Dredd arrests him for vigilante activity, everyone ends up back in Gotham to go after Death, who is at a rock concert murdering people while singing his own take on Sympathy for the Devil (panels for which I cannot find, damnit!).

Simon Bisley on art. Some bits are over-stylised, but then you get bits like these that turn everything up to 11.

The cover.

Scarecrow finds Death and gives him the closest thing to Judge Death's uniform he can find.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

Scarecrow finds Death and gives him the closest thing to Judge Death's uniform he can find.

THIS IS THE ONE! I dont remember the cover as well as I remember the art style and especially scarecrow helping the evil dredd

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DigitalRaven posted:

Sounds like the first crossover they did. Judge Death escapes to Gotham, Batman uses Death's dimension-warp and ends up in Mega-City One where Dredd arrests him for vigilante activity, everyone ends up back in Gotham to go after Death, who is at a rock concert murdering people while singing his own take on Sympathy for the Devil (panels for which I cannot find, damnit!).

Simon Bisley on art. Some bits are over-stylised, but then you get bits like these that turn everything up to 11.

The cover.

Is that Humpty Dumpty to the right

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The thing I like best about that crossover is while most inter-company crossovers are just fluff fun pieces, apparently EVERYTHING Dredd does counts officially, so in the comics today there really was a point where he hopped dimensions and hung out with Batman.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Choco1980 posted:

The thing I like best about that crossover is while most inter-company crossovers are just fluff fun pieces, apparently EVERYTHING Dredd does counts officially, so in the comics today there really was a point where he hopped dimensions and hung out with Batman.

As a consequence of this, the first two Predator films are canon in Dredd, which is amazing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dredd crosses over with loads of stuff. Most of it doesn't even seem particularly out of place.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dredd vs. Predator is noteworthy for Dredd ripping off his shirt in maximum badassery.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
"Maybe I can communicate with it! There's no need for any more killing!"

"Oh, yes there is."

:laffo: That's the best line.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
These panels are p badass.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Stop making me want to read Judge Dread. I have enough stuff I already can't keep up with

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Norns posted:

Stop making me want to read Judge Dread. I have enough stuff I already can't keep up with

I remember being so excited when I heard Stallone was doing Dredd. And then so disappointed when I went to see it. It was so.. sanitary and clean looking. And had Rob Schneider.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Norns posted:

yes, it sure would be a shame if you bought the complete case files that are available straight from their webshop, ready to download and read on any device you'd want, giving you hours upon hours of the best comic series to grace this earth

kujeger fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 31, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Judge Dredd rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I love that the long standing gimmick of the exploding Lawgiver in the wrong hand is what decided the battle. :allears: