Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rinkles posted:

numot got an mtg tatoo?

Yeah, I think he said it was his family mon with the 5 color symbols from magic in it. He showed it briefly once but I couldn't make out much besides the color symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

the Orb of Zot posted:

I'm sorry, but Unscythe, Killer of Kings is the exact sort of stupid name that's good.

I like everything about that card's flavor--art, mechanics, epithet--except the dumb proper name.

I play(ed) it in my Thraximundar EDH deck even though it was honestly pretty bad there :shobon:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

alansmithee posted:

Yeah, I think he said it was his family mon with the 5 color symbols from magic in it. He showed it briefly once but I couldn't make out much besides the color symbols.

no comment

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

alansmithee posted:

It's actually not bad looking, as far as such things go

(It's his family crest)

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

"helicopter parents" is the loving :master:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

I'm sorry, but Unscythe, Killer of Kings is the exact sort of stupid name that's good.

what the gently caress is an unscythe though?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

the Orb of Zot posted:

It sounds more like a Creature than an Equipment, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Niton posted:

It sounds more like a Creature than an Equipment, though.

You never played with sentient weapons in D&D before?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

no comment

Holy gently caress thats awful.

That outside line is uneven all over the place (and why is it there in the first place???), and are any of the circles actually circles?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

AlternateNu posted:

You never played with sentient weapons in D&D before?

I have, but that doesn't make it not sound like a Legendary Creature - Skeleton Warrior.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

the best sentient weapon was definitely that bone dagger that flips into a demon from DKA. Withengar or something.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hopefully it's just a lovely picture?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

any card that could be the title of a symphonic metal song is Good

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Bugsy posted:

Holy gently caress thats awful.

That outside line is uneven all over the place (and why is it there in the first place???), and are any of the circles actually circles?

This was my first thought too. His artist needs to be fired into the sun.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Night Danger Moose posted:

This was my first thought too. His artist needs to be fired into the sun.

Get a stopwatch, start it, look at the tree, and see how long it takes you to stop laughing.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rinkles posted:

no comment

That is the worst coloring job I have ever seen. It looks like they took a colored market and filled them in.

His artist needs to be fired and he needs to get that thing touched up by someone who knows what they are doing.

Edit- oh god the inner circle of the white mana is SO BAD,

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

For whatever it's worth(very little) I think the best card spoiled today is the manowar and that it's going to see Standard play and has a shot at seeing modern play

This isn't related to any particular conversation I just wanted to make a prediction

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Elyv posted:

what the gently caress is an unscythe though?

An undead scythe, clearly.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The man o war is a solid card that might, depending on how things go, end up in the core of a UW tempo deck featuring harbinger, it, and various awaken spells like roil spout, clutch of currents, etc.

I'll certainly be trying to brew one of those up, at least.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

An undead scythe, clearly.

When zombie Sigmund kills you, does he use an Unscythe?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

the Orb of Zot posted:

You just have to realize that everything on Grixis sounds like power metal bands or albums, and it becomes way more forgivable. Thraximundar would be a fantastic 80's power metal name. Who wouldn't listen to "Killer of Kings" by the band Unscythe? "Cruel Ultimatum" by Prince of Thralls?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Elyv posted:

Depends on whether you can give weapons directly to zombie familiars

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Elyv posted:

No, because he has only the regular scythe he had upon death.

For it to be an unscythe, you would have to kill the scythe and then reanimate it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

An unscythe is a nonexistent scythe that Winston Smith needs to write out of history so that people don't get the wrong ideas.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Reflector Mage or whatever is like 90% of creatures in BFZ in that it has prospects once Siege Rhino rotates out.

I mean being free of Siege Rhino casts for a turn seems like a bad trade for them getting the ETB again.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Reflector Mage or whatever is like 90% of creatures in BFZ in that it has prospects once Siege Rhino rotates out.

I mean being free of Siege Rhino casts for a turn seems like a bad trade for them getting the ETB again.

It's a pretty sweet tempo play if you think you can kill them in your next two combat steps, but it's in probably the two worst colors for that :laffo:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean it's also possible you'll have Disdainful Stroke up when they get to try and recast it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I

Rinkles posted:

no comment

I love my tattoo free life.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

No, because he has only the regular scythe he had upon death.

For it to be an unscythe, you would have to kill the scythe and then reanimate it.

So I need to Tukima's Dance his scythe and kill it first?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was about to rage that the mana symbols are flipped before realizing that he probably used a mirror to take that picture.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fish Of Doom posted:

You just have to realize that everything on Grixis sounds like power metal bands or albums, and it becomes way more forgivable. Thraximundar would be a fantastic 80's power metal name. Who wouldn't listen to "Killer of Kings" by the band Unscythe? "Cruel Ultimatum" by Prince of Thralls?
Grixis is the best shard and I really hope that one day we get an entire plane that is just all 80s all the time.

Bonus points if it turns out that's where Nahiri has been hanging out.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Reflector Mage seems pretty decent all around. It comes down early enough to be relevant and has a decent enough body for a utility creature, while the added no-recast effect on its bounce will absolutely win some games. It would probably be playable in 4C Rally as another way to keep Anafenza off the board and as general tempo fuckery.

EDIT: actually it would probably be really good as an Anafenza response in 4C Rally. Right now Sidisi's Faithful gets used for the job, but bouncing Anafenza off an exploit trigger means something's getting exiled. Usually it's the Faithful, which means it can't be used for another bounce off a Rally. Reflector Mage can bounce Anafenza, then get itself into the graveyard for another trigger, and guarantees a whole extra turn of Aristocrats shenanigans without any Anafenzas in the picture.

Obviously they fit in at very different places on the mana curve but for something that's already in color it seems like a desirable answer to a difficult card.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 31, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bugsy posted:

I don't think this was posted?

*something* Redeemer (?) 2G
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
Devoid
Flash
When you cast *something* Redeemer you may pay C. If you do, put a 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature token onto the battlefield for each nontoken creature died under your control this turn. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add C to your mana pool".
3/3

Aristocrats seems pushed.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Count Bleck posted:

Aristocrats seems pushed.

Doesn't play that nicely with Collected Company, but with Haruspex about to rotate out maybe they're pushing the deck more towards Smothering Abomination and mass tokens as a card draw engine instead?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Voyager I posted:

Doesn't play that nicely with Collected Company, but with Haruspex about to rotate out maybe they're pushing the deck more towards Smothering Abomination and mass tokens as a card draw engine instead?

I don't play Haruspex but yeah I could see why the deck loves it.

I'm really hyped for this set now, though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Haruspex is a bulk rare and a core 4-of in most BGx Aristocrats decks. I highly recommend trying it out since being able to turn all your chump blocks and Husk pumps into sweet, sweet cards is a really good effect and it's got a tolerable body if you happen to end up ahead on board through the simple act of playing creatures every turn. It's also nice board wipe insurance since it means you just get to replace all the cards they blew up.

I agree that between this thing, Catacomb Sifter, Zulaport Cutthroat, and Smothering Abomination, there's a pretty good BGx Tokens Aristocrats deck emerging. New Nissa might even be playable in it if they're moving away from CoCo and non-token sacrifices.

The real question, of course, is if we'll get a new mass revival spell in the next block to replace Rally the Ancestors, though I suppose a token-centric deck is less concerned about replaying its graveyard.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 31, 2015

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Elyv posted:

at least the truly putrid names have largely vanished I think

Bela Lugosi's scythe

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
People were talking about Zada earlier; digging through Deckstats, it turns out there are some otherwise negligible White instants that also happen to draw a card. Normally, their effects are so negligible for their mana costs that the fact that they cycle isn't worth just having a better card in your hand to begin with, but this does create some potentially goofy as gently caress Zada situations where draft leavings like Defiant Strike draws like five cards. I kind of want to make a RW Zada Tokens deck with Monastery Mentor, Gideon, and a bunch of other token/pump spells. I think this could be a decent FNM contender for goofy decks that can also win games.

Added bonus: Valorous Stance on Zada blanks wraths other than Languish!

EDIT: quick n' dirty decklist for suggestions.
http://deckstats.net/deck-8709158-4c6931b7c073e9f02e32b5eb4e9500cd.html

The Pressure Points are more likely to be cast on your own Zada at the end of the enemy's turn as a way to draw cards.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 31, 2015

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Shoulder to Shoulder does not trigger Zada or heroic, does it? The spell does not target, the ability "support" targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Voyager I posted:

People were talking about Zada earlier; digging through Deckstats, it turns out there are some otherwise negligible White instants that also happen to draw a card. Normally, their effects are so negligible for their mana costs that the fact that they cycle isn't worth just having a better card in your hand to begin with, but this does create some potentially goofy as gently caress Zada situations where draft leavings like Defiant Strike draws like five cards. I kind of want to make a RW Zada Tokens deck with Monastery Mentor, Gideon, and a bunch of other token/pump spells. I think this could be a decent FNM contender for goofy decks that can also win games.

Added bonus: Valorous Stance on Zada blanks wraths other than Languish!

EDIT: quick n' dirty decklist for suggestions.
http://deckstats.net/deck-8709158-4c6931b7c073e9f02e32b5eb4e9500cd.html

The Pressure Points are more likely to be cast on your own Zada at the end of the enemy's turn as a way to draw cards.

I think the consensus for best Zada spells in standard are Defiant Strike, Titan Strength, and Valorous Stance. Feat of Resistance is also a possibility.

Comedy option: Arcbond :v:

• Locked thread