Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eh! Frank posted:

You reminded me of Hugo Weaving voicing Megatron in Transformers. There was so much voice alteration it sounded nothing like him.

It's the same thing with the recent terrible Alvin and the Chipmunks movies where they hired Justin Long to voice Alvin and he's so altered that he just sounds exactly like the old cartoon version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Lovely Horse posted:

The best way to watch all the Marvel movies is once. Then they're really fun but god help you if you think that's reproducible.

Best to do it in the theater, too. Or if you missed your chance, watch it with friends who are also seeing it for the first time, and preferably everyone be mildly to moderately drunk or stoned. Anything to help you think critically about the plots as little as possible.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I re-watched Age of Ultron recently and it gets worse every time I watch it. Needless to say the following contains spoilers.

You know that we have spoilers tags for a reason, right?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LeJackal posted:

You know that we have spoilers tags for a reason, right?

What's the commonly accepted statute of limitations on spoilers around here?

Rosebud is a sled? Bruce Willis is a ghost? Snape kills Dumbledore?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

rydiafan posted:

Bruce Willis is a ghost?

What? poo poo you just ruined Death Becomes Her for me. Jerk.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Best to do it in the theater, too. Or if you missed your chance, watch it with friends who are also seeing it for the first time, and preferably everyone be mildly to moderately drunk or stoned. Anything to help you think critically about the plots as little as possible.
Yep, agreed. I've taken to buying DVDs once they get cheap and getting rid of them afterwards. Cheaper than a theater ticket, and they're not a huge priority for me anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rydiafan posted:

Snape kills Dumbledore?

There was none on that one. It was all over the site.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Spoiler tags on this site are a nicety. gently caress the mods for the title of FYAD last month though, what kind of an rear end in a top hat decided antagonizing the entire user base was okay?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought antagonizing the entire userbase was this place's entire raison d'etre. I faintly remember a front page article that spoiled the end of Matrix Re... uh, the third one, the day it came out.

(I worked at a theater back then and we'd all stayed after work and set up a little advance screening :smug:)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought antagonizing the entire userbase was this place's entire raison d'etre. I faintly remember a front page article that spoiled the end of Matrix Re... uh, the third one, the day it came out.

(I worked at a theater back then and we'd all stayed after work and set up a little advance screening :smug:)

Folks should have been grateful for that one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

My Lovely Horse posted:

When Harry Potter 6 came out Snape killed Dumbledore was all over the place.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Ryoshi posted:

Spoiler tags on this site are a nicety. gently caress the mods for the title of FYAD last month though, what kind of an rear end in a top hat decided antagonizing the entire user base was okay?

I usually hate spoilers, but that didn't bug me that much, though I can understand it pissing off others. I assumed it was a troll and would have no idea whether or not it was true until I actually saw the movie. And while it *did* turn out to be true, it was vague enough that it left me wondering how/when it was going to happen. That, and this hilarious-in-retrospect post from the meme thread threw me off as well (which didn't have the spoiler bars when posted):

Jamesman posted:

Even better, Luke is the one that kills him, because Luke is now a sith lord.

This movie is trying its hardest to poo poo on the original trilogy harder than the prequels did.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rydiafan posted:

Rosebud is a sled? Bruce Willis is a ghost? Snape kills Dumbledore?

If the movie is one that I, personally, don't give a poo poo about, it's ok to post spoilers. Please respect this in the future.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Actually, just don't post about those movies TIA.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm almost certain the FYAD title was made up just to piss off the people that poo poo their pants over spoilers, and then just coincidentally happened to be true.

Triticum Guzzler posted a spoiler that was similar but expanded on Twitter at about the same time for the same reason, but got one detail wrong enough that it's clear he wasn't going off a leaked script or anything. Then after the movie release he replied to it in shock at how close he got it.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

If I remember correctly, didn't some people actually spend money buying avatars for others that spoiled Game of Thrones?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lemon posted:

If I remember correctly, didn't some people actually spend money buying avatars for others that spoiled Game of Thrones?

Yeah, in the TVIV thread. For the Red Wedding I think.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So is there a reason why Annoying Precocious Kid Who Gets in the Way and Fucks Everything up but Later Saves the Day is a thing, and if so what is that reason? Because they as an aggregate are probably my biggest IIMM

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

syscall girl posted:

Yeah, in the TVIV thread. For the Red Wedding I think.

And the toilet incident, and the "For the Watch" bit.

The fyad title for TFA was up before the movie released in the US so I'd be inclined to believe it was a guess of something that wasn't too hard to see coming.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

AnonSpore posted:

So is there a reason why Annoying Precocious Kid Who Gets in the Way and Fucks Everything up but Later Saves the Day is a thing, and if so what is that reason? Because they as an aggregate are probably my biggest IIMM

Shorthand instead of character development, maybe? It's poo poo either way.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kids in general make movies worse.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Kids in general make movies worse.

Mark Salling disagrees.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I kinda handwaved the FYAD title since the movie was still weeks from release and they were pretty tight about leaks. That being said it was still telegraphed from the moment they start talking about trying to bring back their son. Good luck trying to win over the Big Bad Guy that's the focus of all the promotional material - and who's signed on for the other two movies as well - in the first movie. Sure, he's probably going to redeem himself at the end of the third one then die heroically like his role model, but they're not going to squander that opportunity yet.

Stepping onto a long catwalk to confront him was the final nail in the coffin. When's the last time in this series that someone's mentor walked out onto a bridge above a large chasm to confront the villain without getting greased in front of the protagonist?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My Star Wars IIMM is that they legitimately filmed a scene for Ep3 that made little to no sense in order to have an explanation for a semi weird scene in ROTJ.

Episode 3, climatic duel, and it's ruined by "I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND THERE'S NO POSSIBLE WAY YOU CAN WIN" and then Anakin loses all 4 limbs 5 times (that's gotta be some kinda record).

Episode 6, climatic duel, Vader is tired of Luke's poo poo when he heads up TO THE HIGH GROUND and just goes "gently caress it" and lobs a big spinny saber at him to wreck his poo poo, CAUSE APPARENTLY HE LEARNED FROM HIS DELIMBING MISTAKE 20 YEARS AGO.

It was kinda weird in the original (pre ep3 bullshit) he was like FIGHT ME KID and Luke's all "NAH" and fucks off to the roof, and Vader is like "HEY YOU LIL BASTARD GET DOWN HERE" and throws his weapon at a dude who can control poo poo via telekinesis, and could just like, fling it over to the side and then he'd be all hosed cause he can't do the lightning thing cause of his robot arms.

Whoops, fat fingered the number keys,

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Dec 31, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My Star Wars IIMM is that they legitimately filmed a scene for Ep3 that made little to no sense in order to have an explanation for a semi weird scene in ROTJ.

Episode 3, climatic duel, and it's ruined by "I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND THERE'S NO POSSIBLE WAY YOU CAN WIN" and then Anakin loses all 4 limbs 5 times (that's gotta be some kinda record).

Episode 7, climatic duel, Vader is tired of Luke's poo poo when he heads up TO THE HIGH GROUND and just goes "gently caress it" and lobs a big spinny saber at him to wreck his poo poo, CAUSE APPARENTLY HE LEARNED FROM HIS DELIMBING MISTAKE 20 YEARS AGO.

It was kinda weird in the original (pre ep3 bullshit) he was like FIGHT ME KID and Luke's all "NAH" and fucks off to the roof, and Vader is like "HEY YOU LIL BASTARD GET DOWN HERE" and throws his weapon at a dude who can control poo poo via telekinesis, and could just like, fling it over to the side and then he'd be all hosed cause he can't do the lightning thing cause of his robot arms.

Vader can do telekinesis too, dude. Probably better than Luke can.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That did not happen in episode 7.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Vader can do telekinesis too, dude. Probably better than Luke can.

Yea, and I'm guessing that's how the lightsaber went all wombly and still hit (although it was loving weird to have the blade coming out of the bottom of it), but I'm pretty sure throwing poo poo at a person who can deflect blaster bolts isn't a safe bet to make.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just saw Spotlight (great movie; why is there no CD thread about it?) and I have the most irrational irritation of all:

The text on screen that mentions location (e.g. Boston, MA) is not in AP Style. Boston is a standalone city, and even if it wasn't you would spell out the state name (or Mass. if you want to be slightly outdated or are the Tribune). I feel like if you're going to do a movie about newspaper reporting you should make the stylistic choice to use AP for the sake of appeasing copy-editing dorks like me. :colbert:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm no fencer, but would higher ground even be that much of an advantage? With guns, sure - higher ground ensures that you're better able to attack an enemy in cover while your own cover becomes more effective. But in a hand-to-hand fight with laser swords it would seem like you're going to have a harder time protecting your feet while the other guy can block you easier since you can't reach half of his body. You might have a leverage advantage with real weapons but I'm assuming sword fighting with a magic laser beam that cuts though everything but other magic laser beams really isn't really about how hard you can swing it and more about "can I delimb this guy before he delimbs me."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Higher ground is important when the lower ground is lava.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

This is from the red letter media review but having the higher ground didn't mean poo poo when obi wan killed darth maul and he should loving remember that.

Was that scene really there to explain why twenty years earlier vader threw a saber? Throwing lightsabers is the most fun thing to do in any star wars video game and he only did it once why does it need to be explained? It's hardly the loving plastic wrap S logo throw from Superman II?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't feel like it was a justification for that scene, I think Flanders is reading far too much into it.

The lava scene was a half assed attempt at giving obi Wan a reason to have an advantage over anakin, because by all accounts anakin was the better swordsman. Lucas is just bad at it tho.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

The lava scene was a half assed attempt at giving obi Wan a reason to have an advantage over anakin, because by all accounts anakin was the better swordsman. Lucas is just bad at it tho.

Its also to give the audience the idea that the dark side has made Anakin arrogant to a fault. Obi Wan says he has the advantage. Anakin is all like "gently caress you Obi Dad" since he's now all dark side and stuff. Obi Wan wins cause of it.

Star Wars has always tried to explain how the light side is stronger than the dark side even though the dark side gets all the cool powers. Episode 3 tried to do it with the Obi Wan and Anakin fight, but as you said Lucas is just kinda bad at it. Episode 7 actually did it kind of well with Kylo Ren's little tantrums. The Dark Side and not controlling his anger wasn't a huge boon to him when it just makes him lose control and want to lighsaber a bunch of computers to death.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wild T posted:

I'm no fencer, but would higher ground even be that much of an advantage? With guns, sure - higher ground ensures that you're better able to attack an enemy in cover while your own cover becomes more effective. But in a hand-to-hand fight with laser swords it would seem like you're going to have a harder time protecting your feet while the other guy can block you easier since you can't reach half of his body. You might have a leverage advantage with real weapons but I'm assuming sword fighting with a magic laser beam that cuts though everything but other magic laser beams really isn't really about how hard you can swing it and more about "can I delimb this guy before he delimbs me."

High ground is important even in olden times because of spears and arrows and poo poo, plus just the general exhaustion of running up hill in armor and then having to fight.

But for un-armored laser fencing? Yeah I'm with you, seems like if anything it would be a disadvantage.

Course when you do a giant obvious ninja flip right in front of your opponent who is holding a laser sword, you kinda deserve to get some limbs cut off.

My big issue with that scene is how wildly the powers shift and range throughout the fight. Like yeah we've seen power creep on the jedi over the years, but it usually is consistent for a single film or something. But earlier in that fight both Anakin and Obi-Wan are both anime jumping like 40 feet into the air using the force, (which is something that you could do in the videogames but wasn't done by luke or anything) and then suddenly a high ground of like 10ft matters? Rather than jumping right in front of your opponent / over him, how about you just force jump 40ft over to the other side of the riverbank or something? I dunno.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

High ground is important even in olden times because of spears and arrows and poo poo, plus just the general exhaustion of running up hill in armor and then having to fight.

But for un-armored laser fencing? Yeah I'm with you, seems like if anything it would be a disadvantage.

Course when you do a giant obvious ninja flip right in front of your opponent who is holding a laser sword, you kinda deserve to get some limbs cut off.

My big issue with that scene is how wildly the powers shift and range throughout the fight. Like yeah we've seen power creep on the jedi over the years, but it usually is consistent for a single film or something. But earlier in that fight both Anakin and Obi-Wan are both anime jumping like 40 feet into the air using the force, (which is something that you could do in the videogames but wasn't done by luke or anything) and then suddenly a high ground of like 10ft matters? Rather than jumping right in front of your opponent / over him, how about you just force jump 40ft over to the other side of the riverbank or something? I dunno.

I think mythbusters did a test on the high ground.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Rather than jumping right in front of your opponent / over him, how about you just force jump 40ft over to the other side of the riverbank or something?

Because it's a terrible moment in the second worst Star Wars film.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The yeti signaling the field goal was good in the mummy 3 is undoubtedly the worst moment in the history of film and theater and yes I am including bunraku in that statement.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Zaphod42 posted:

But earlier in that fight both Anakin and Obi-Wan are both anime jumping like 40 feet into the air using the force, (which is something that you could do in the videogames but wasn't done by luke or anything)
Pretty sure he did it to get the gently caress out of the carbonite chamber in empire strikes back buddy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

oldpainless posted:

The yeti signaling the field goal was good in the mummy 3 is undoubtedly the worst moment in the history of film and theater and yes I am including bunraku in that statement.

I'm pretty sure that the basketball scene in Catwoman holds that coveted title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AnonSpore posted:

I'm pretty sure that the basketball scene in Catwoman holds that coveted title

Or the basketball scene from Escape From LA.