Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was I supposed to dump the whole can, oil and all, into the hot baking dish? Because god drat that poo poo was popping like a motherfucker

E broke all 4 yolks, guddamn I suck at cooking :saddowns:

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I bought Sambal Olek today for the first time. I haven't had it on sardines yet, but I was pleasantly surprised of how fresh it tasted. I like my sauces hot, but I was pleased with it's mildness. Had it on stir fry, but will have it on sardines soon.

If you have not tried it, definitely pick up a jar.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

marauderthirty posted:

Was I supposed to dump the whole can, oil and all, into the hot baking dish? Because god drat that poo poo was popping like a motherfucker

The pan might have been too hot. Usually I go easy on the oil putting it in

EAT IT AND TRY AGAIN

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
the jalepeno KOs are pretty much the only sardines that I eat now. either on saltines with extra hot sauce of some kind, or as a sandwich on seeded rye bread with baby spinach, clausen pickle slices and stone ground mustard. sometimes I add swiss or even some Duke's mayo if I want to get creative

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

marauderthirty posted:

I drain most of the oil out

It should pop some, that's good sound any time you cook a meat

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I should've said exploding rather than popping. A piece of fish shot into my eyeball when I opened it up to add the eggs. Overall the dish isn't bad, but I don't think I would make it for breakfast. Would probably have it again for lunch or dinner when I'm alone, though. And it is very filling, I haven't eaten all day and I'm slowing down after having eaten just over half of it. I also just found a good segment of spine (didn't even notice it with the crackers yesterday) and crunched it up between my front teeth and I actually really enjoy the texture

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
~~ Fisherman's Eggs ~~
~~ a photo essay ~~

http://imgur.com/a/zAlJf

Yes, really, 500 degrees

YES REALLY 500 DEGREES

Do the prep. Saving the shallot so this is 3 green onions, 2 bushy parsely trees, 2 toes garlic, pepper, mixed up

Add the dines to the pile and some but not all oil from the can and stir it around a little. These dines were big so I chopped them in half on a bias.

Dump into dish. This dish was sitting in the oven when it preheated. It sizzles

Six minutes later they look like this

Put the eggs on top straight outta the shell. If you only have three eggs in your fridge like me then use three instead of four. Also it will put a stake in the heart of the bitchmade 375 crybabies forever if you use less eggs at the same temp and time and it works out okay but only more delicious than they could ever dream of.

Seven minutes for the eggs and they look like this. See how the dines are golden? That's why 500. Industry term is GBD

Let 'em sit there for five minutes and they are easy to take out of the bakedish and also a little more cooked

The plate. The average Sambal Oelek amount

OH NO AT 500 THE EGG WILL BE RUBBER AND BAD AN OVERCOOKED WAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh wait I forgot one image

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Looks good, thanks

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

This was an awesome step by step! Definitely gonna try them out at 500, Thanks Sheep-Goats.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
375 nerds in ruins

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sheep-Goats posted:

~~ Fisherman's Eggs ~~
~~ a photo essay ~~

http://imgur.com/a/zAlJf

Yes, really, 500 degrees

YES REALLY 500 DEGREES

Do the prep. Saving the shallot so this is 3 green onions, 2 bushy parsely trees, 2 toes garlic, pepper, mixed up

Add the dines to the pile and some but not all oil from the can and stir it around a little. These dines were big so I chopped them in half on a bias.

Dump into dish. This dish was sitting in the oven when it preheated. It sizzles

Six minutes later they look like this

Put the eggs on top straight outta the shell. If you only have three eggs in your fridge like me then use three instead of four. Also it will put a stake in the heart of the bitchmade 375 crybabies forever if you use less eggs at the same temp and time and it works out okay but only more delicious than they could ever dream of.

Seven minutes for the eggs and they look like this. See how the dines are golden? That's why 500. Industry term is GBD

Let 'em sit there for five minutes and they are easy to take out of the bakedish and also a little more cooked

The plate. The average Sambal Oelek amount

OH NO AT 500 THE EGG WILL BE RUBBER AND BAD AN OVERCOOKED WAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What's GBD stand for? Goddamned Bangin-rear end Dines?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Thump! posted:

What's GBD stand for? Goddamned Bangin-rear end Dines?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I forgot to mention that I bought the King O's this time and nabbed one off the top before I dumped them in the baking dish. Could just be that I'm a deen rookie, but I didn't think it tasted any better than the ones from Trader Joes. Usually, with trout at least, the smaller fishes taste better, but I probably couldn't tell the difference here unless I did a side-by-side taste test. For the price, I'll definitely be stocking up at Joes. The KOs cost more than twice as much.

e also I wanna nibble dat spine in the 6th picture, I might like the bones more than I like the deen

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

marauderthirty posted:

I forgot to mention that I bought the King O's this time and nabbed one off the top before I dumped them in the baking dish. Could just be that I'm a deen rookie, but I didn't think it tasted any better than the ones from Trader Joes. Usually, with trout at least, the smaller fishes taste better, but I probably couldn't tell the difference here unless I did a side-by-side taste test. For the price, I'll definitely be stocking up at Joes. The KOs cost more than twice as much.

Flavor is subjective homie

I like them KO a little more but for cooking I used something else to augment

The main reason for listing sard brands in the OP is to keep people from buying Chicken of the Sea shitdines packed in water and going OH NO YOURE DUM THOSE ARE GROSS

Also break your eggs on the flat surface not on the edge of the thing and then there's less chance you gently caress up the yolk

raton fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 31, 2015

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I usually drain most of the oil out before I put them in the dish, but do what you like. I don't mind the oil, but sometimes prefer some fresh olive oil instead of the can oil. Less dadly, but delicious.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It kinda depends on how the dines are packed I just eyeball it so there's enough oil for the onion/garlic/parseley

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
:agreed:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Didn't expect to be emasculated by a guy using Taylor Swift blingee gifs today. Oh well...

I still say you overcooked your 'dines :flip:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Try it holmes my nigga Maillaird got it on loooocckkkkkeeee

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I want to believe.

But any ways I wish I had taken a picture of the steaks I cooked the other night. I know they arnt the mighty deens but I had been dreaming about steaks so I thought it healthy to pick some up, like the only way to get a song stuck in your head unstuck is by listening to it.

The steaks were like $15 each on sale so I really didn't want to gently caress them up. Cooked them on a huge rear end cast iron. More or less the Ducasse method of searing then basting in butter except I used a little more heat than what most directions say because I wanted that good crust and then I finished in the oven on a balmy 300 degrees. With sautee garlic mushrooms and steamed green beans I think I could die tomorrow and feel satisfied with life.

Sorry to derail. :tipshat:

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
look who stocked up, dad thread

pretty stoked about the spanish style and the bar harbor

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't remember Bar Harbor reviewed in the previous thread but now I'm intrigued.

Gave KO Mediterranean a second chance tonight after a bad first impression and finished the rest of the tin. I think my mistake first time was too much garlic and hot sauce which I would do with low grade dines. Out of the tin on a cracker was delicious. Plus tails!

Eat the bones heads and tails

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes
eatin some oscar dines for dinner :coolfish:

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes
also where can i find dines that are like more like fresh and chewy and firm so i can feel like bear grylls crunching the bones

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Has anyone tried the Clover Leaf 'dines in olive oil? The fish are from Poland, they're a good 'dine.

Hot Cosby
Sep 23, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
do they come in gluten-free? my son khayleb and I can't have gluten

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ligo dine are decent food, a rare thing in Pilipino foods

Sounds like someone hasn't had Jollibee fried chicken yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ligo dine are decent food, a rare thing in Pilipino foods

I'm not completely familiar with the cuisine of the Philippines, but I love these things:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

exp0n posted:

eatin some oscar dines for dinner :coolfish:

Simplicity itself, you're talkin' my word-speak.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

OP you should try arbroath smokies

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
sheepgoats is a monster and I will fight xhem IRL ):<

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not completely familiar with the cuisine of the Philippines, but I love these things:

Imagine a bunch of stews most of which smell at least a little bit like garbage.

Nooner posted:

sheepgoats is a monster and I will fight xhem IRL ):<

address

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Bosch posted:

look who stocked up, dad thread

pretty stoked about the spanish style and the bar harbor

Lookit the selections

!

Fluo posted:

OP you should try arbroath smokies

Ok give them to Nooner then I'll go over to his house and beat his rear end and take them away from him.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kippers are the best breakfast

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fluo posted:

Kippers are the best breakfast

Bang your window open and yell GET KIPPED out it and throw the empty can at a loving Greek

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Bang your window open and yell GET KIPPED out it and throw the empty can at a loving Greek

lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Best start to the day I ever fucken had

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Best Kipper Breakfast recipe I've ever had was Nigel Slater's

The recipe
Wipe a large potato clean, then cut it into slices slightly thicker than a matchstick. Cut the slices into similarly thick pieces.

Do the same with a large carrot. Warm three tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying or sauté pan, then add the potato and carrot strips and let them cook over a moderate heat.

Slice two large spring onions in half lengthways and then into thin strips. Add the spring onion to the carrot and potato and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender and lightly coloured.

Place two boned and ready-to-cook kipper fillets on top of the vegetables and pour in 100ml of water. Dot 20g of butter on top of the fish and bring everything to the boil.

Turn the heat down a little, cover with a lid, then steam for about eight minutes or until the flakes of flesh can be pulled apart easily with a fork.

Lift the fish and vegetables on to two plates, then spoon a little of the buttery, vegetable-scented cooking liquor over the fish.

A little parsley wouldn’t go amiss. Serves 2.

The trick
Keep the heat fairly low so the shredded potato and carrots don’t brown too much, tossing them from time to time. The kipper cooks in the steam, so keep the lid on tightly till the fish is tender.

The twist
Introduce small leeks, halved then shredded lengthways, in with the potato and carrot. Add chopped tarragon to the vegetables, which will work nicely with the potatoes and fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Had some KOs in oil last night as a midnight snack. Dumped them on a paper plate, squeezed a few lines of yellow mustard on them and scooped them up with corn chips. They were the tiny KOs that are really firm. 8/10 midnight snack-atude.