Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
now thats what i call enterprise linux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
kind of surprising that the term "enterprise linux" hasn't somehow been co-opted by star-trek enthusiasts

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

2016 edition of some long article on why Linux is not ready for the desktop (tm)

quote:

I want to make one thing crystal clear - Windows, in some regards, is even worse than Linux and it's definitely not ready for the desktop either. Off the top of my head I want to name the following quite devastating issues with Windows: • devastating Windows rot, • no enforced file system and registry hierarchy (I have yet to find a single serious application which can uninstall itself cleanly and fully), • svchost.exe, • no true safe mode, • no clean state, • the user as a system administrator (thus viruses/​malware - most users don't and won't understand UAC warnings), • no good packaging mechanism (MSI is a fragile abomination), • no system wide update mechanism (which includes third party software), • Windows is extremely difficult to debug, • Windows boot problems are often fatal and unsolvable unless you reinstall from scratch, • Windows is hardware dependent (especially when running from UEFI), • Windows updates are terribly unreliable and they also waste disk space, • there's no way to cleanly upgrade your system (there will be thousands of leftovers), etc.

http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

kind of surprising that the term "enterprise linux" hasn't somehow been co-opted by star-trek enthusiasts

i like to joke that people here prefer star wars because everyone is sick of enterprise

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MrMoo posted:

2016 edition of some long article on why Linux is not ready for the desktop (tm)

are we sure this article was written in good faith? why, some of these issues raised will literally never be resolved in linux

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Barnyard Protein posted:

are we sure this article was written in good faith? why, some of these issues raised will literally never be resolved in linux

mainly because every other point on that list can be summed up as "flash is garbage" although we are finally at the point where you don't really need it anymore

he also has a nice long systemd rant in the middle now where he complains that people are fixing the issues that he was complaining about

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
it definitely has the same feel as the insane lists i compile over the course of years/months when i'm upset over something thats out of my control. that would explain the systemd stuff

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
He's mad that developers who can't reproduce bugs don't magically fix them. Take a look at his bug reports and he rarely follows up to questions he doesn't like. His NVIDIA suspend bug report even had him say the same exact error message happened on windows, and the NVIDIA employee suggested it was probably a motherboard issue, but he still bumped the thread like ten times after that.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It starts off interesting then goes a bit crazy.

Two clearly incorrect pieces are about everything being configurable via a UI in OS X and Windows, and the author seems to have missed the move to multiple version shared libraries with app containerization.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

He's mad that developers who can't reproduce bugs don't magically fix them. Take a look at his bug reports and he rarely follows up to questions he doesn't like. His NVIDIA suspend bug report even had him say the same exact error message happened on windows, and the NVIDIA employee suggested it was probably a motherboard issue, but he still bumped the thread like ten times after that.

Yeah he's a special snowflake that must have the only problems with one device, not another cheapo 50 dollar pos addon

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also, while I could do a point by point rebuttal to everything here (e.g. Wayland font antialiasing configuration), it's just long winded.

I think Linux and wine had a huge opportunity when Windows XP went EOL, but we squandered it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thanks shadowhawk

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, while I could do a point by point rebuttal to everything here (e.g. Wayland font antialiasing configuration), it's just long winded.

there's no point since all you will get from this guy is more crazy ranting about how "you just don't get it"

edit: lol his latest argument for the kernel being a "buggy mess of regressions" is a small bug in a bleeding-edge kernel that only effects people running seriously old 32-bit hardware with an ata disk (basically him and that's it).

edit2: 2016 year of linux on the ps4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A7V3GLWF6U

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 30, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think Linux and wine had a huge opportunity when Windows XP went EOL, but we squandered it.

You seriously loving do not want idiots who stuck with xp for 12 years as your user expansion

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

http://blog.docker.com/2015/12/ian-murdock/

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

RIP

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah, rip

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
:rip:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I didn't think he'd actually go through with it after the twitter meltdown. RIP

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
:rip:

So this was over being roughed up by the police? The ts12 of open source programming

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
my interpretation of what happened on twitter was that his neighbor called the cops on him for being scary somehow. he said something about being arrested just for knocking on a neighbor's door.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This is what happens when you use Sid.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

rambling insane bullshit

still complaining about alsa in tyool 2015 lol

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rambling insane bullshit

still complaining about alsa in tyool 2015 lol

broken clock opsec posted:

You seriously loving do not want idiots who stuck with xp for 12 years as your user expansion

I guess xp users would still be an improvement

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theultimo posted:

Apt is much, much better then yum

from a user perspective they are almost exactly the same, feature for feature

under the covers, apt was better than yum for many years. apt put all the core stuff into a single, well-tested c++ library and then wrote frontends in any language desired. yum had everything stuffed into a maze of twisty lovely python.

fedora 22+ has fixed this with dnf. dnf still has all the frontends written in python, but they call into common C libraries to handle all the fiddly details. (and it's yum-compatible, so as an end-user you don't have to learn anything.)

rhel will get dnf via epel at some point but don't hold your breath for it to become the default in existing versions

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
if dnf is totes compat with yum why not just switch, symlink yum to dnf, and be done with it

or just call dnf the new yum

idgi

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
on fedora23, it translates yum commands to dnf. the basics that i use are the same anyways, pretty easy transition

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

if dnf is totes compat with yum why not just switch, symlink yum to dnf, and be done with it

or just call dnf the new yum

they did this, and then deleted the symlink later

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The semantics are different enough in edge case scenarios that automated scripts broke. The new semantics are better. For a long time the goal was to switch the implementation of yum to the dnf move, but that never happened.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

theultimo posted:

And fedora is "free" so good luck getting working video drivers

how stupid you are, nvidia drivers and amd drivers are on rpmfusion, or you can just download and install them, same with intel

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

celeron 300a posted:

I installed Fedora 23 and besides the fact that it doesn't play media or use eCryptfs out of the box, and the extra step of adding more SELinux policies, it was incredibly painless. No need to do anything to my home directory besides SELinux relabeling.

The only wrinkle is that the login keyring doesn't get unlocked when I login.

All in all, four penguins out of five. Gonna stay on the cutting edge until I bleed out.

you can just go to the software ui and install all the codecs you want, why are you interactinv with selinux at all???? on my mine it just works

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i thought rhel 7 was using dnf

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i can't believe it's already the last day of the year of linux on the desktop

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

triple sulk posted:

i can't believe it's already the last day of the year of linux on the desktop

Well i am sure the year of the linux on the desktop will live in our memories forever.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I hope graph does the needful tomorrow

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Year of the Linux Desktop has finally arrived.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
omfg that perms toggle thing :whitewater:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
nice abs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Year of the Linux Desktop has finally arrived.

i actually like a lot about the UI, it's just the rest of it is horrendous