Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kiimo posted:

Are we just assuming Ren and Rae are siblings now? Have we ruled out cousins at this point?

Not as erotic when they bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

jivjov posted:

And, if you read the rest of my post before "calling me out", I go on to talk about non-twin sibling possibility as well.

Easy, tiger.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Ren and Rey would have to kiss if they were foreshadowing siblings, come on.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

You're all nuts, Rey is a Kenobi.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

You're all nuts, Rey is a Kenobi.

Obi-Wan's granddaughter?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure what that scene was trying to convey, it was pretty hectic and even on my second viewing I don't think I got everything that was going on.

I did see Luke "deactivating" R2-D2, presumably after giving him most of the secret map, which is something I missed the first time around.
I interpreted it as Luke dropping Rey off because it's too dangerous for her to be with him. That probably also explains why she has that helmet. Though I guess she doesn't need to be his daughter for him to just drop her off somewhere.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
She could have the helmet because there's busted x-wings all over her house.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

Obi-Wan's granddaughter?

It's the theory I'm most partial to at the moment, yes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maybe she's a distant offshoot of Clan Fisto. :shrug:

stev fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 31, 2015

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I watched this movie last night, a lot of people in the theater laughed when Kylo Ren took off his helmet lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TWIST FIST posted:

I watched this movie last night, a lot of people in the theater laughed when Kylo Ren took off his helmet lol

The film is working as intended.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I wanna know the precise moment in our cultural development where "fist" became a naughty term.

Anyway, I watched the Obi-Wan vs Grievous scene yesterday because I forgot what a varactyl was, but mostly I was just reminded that it is bar none the worst scene out of all seven Star Warss. On top of the lovely composition and bassackwards production -- it's seriously like they reversed what every shot should be like; moments that needed a fast cut were stagnant and passive while moments that needed more time to be digested were jerky and spliced into each other -- the thing that most annoyed me was that there was no logical development of peril whatsoever. Obi-Wan jumps into the middle of a massive army with his dumbass drunken grin, lightsaber sheathed, and they just stare at him menacingly without shooting. He steps right up to Grievous -- maybe a yard and a half away, if not less -- and Grievous just stares at him menacingly without attacking, nor does Obi-Wan himself take this obvious opening to attack. He makes a dumb rear end fake wuxia stance, twice, that does literally nothing twice. Later on he jumps on his twelve-feet long varactyl that is completely unarmored but no one makes any move to attack it. At one point Obi-Wan outright loses his lightsaber into a cavernous drop but it's treated about as severely as if he misplaced a hat or something.

Absolutely no one had any idea what they were doing in this scene. It fills me with equal amounts of pity and infertility.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Butt Ghost posted:

I interpreted it as Luke dropping Rey off because it's too dangerous for her to be with him. That probably also explains why she has that helmet. Though I guess she doesn't need to be his daughter for him to just drop her off somewhere.

What does a helmet from the Tierfon Yellow Aces have to do with Luke?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It could have been his, couldn't it? Didn't he wear one in the first movie? I haven't seen the first Starwars in years, so I might be misremembering.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
What is wrong with Rey being a non-skywalker or non-kenobi? It seems just as likely to introduce some parents (who won't matter) than to retcon Obi-Won or Luke's celibacy and add in a mother (who won't matter).

I mean as far as we know Phasma being Rey's mom makes just as much sense as the rest of the speculation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Butt Ghost posted:

It could have been his, couldn't it? Didn't he wear one in the first movie? I haven't seen the first Starwars in years, so I might be misremembering.

It wasn't Luke's helmet.

Wookie Bouquet posted:

What is wrong with Rey being a non-skywalker or non-kenobi? It seems just as likely to introduce some parents (who won't matter) than to retcon Obi-Won or Luke's celibacy and add in a mother (who won't matter).

I mean as far as we know Phasma being Rey's mom makes just as much sense as the rest of the speculation.

There's nothing wrong. I personally prefer the speculation that Rey is either a Kenobi, or someone entirely new.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I wanna know the precise moment in our cultural development where "fist" became a naughty term.

The creation of Fisto.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Butt Ghost posted:

Luke never wore an X-Wing helmet with a Yellow alliance symbol on it; so it can't have been one of his (at least not one we've seen on-screen before)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Wookie Bouquet posted:

There's nothing wrong. It would in fact be great and not cling to some sort of genetic Force dominance or whatever. People just expect the studio to make one of the heroes related to one of the old people.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Luke never wore an X-Wing helmet with a Yellow alliance symbol on it; so it can't have been one of his (at least not one we've seen on-screen before)

I really hope we get a movie that explains how she got that helmet...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerkface posted:

I really hope we get a movie that explains how she got that helmet...

The fact that she scavenges Galactic Civil War-era scrap for a living isn't enough of an explanation for you?

turtlecrunch posted:

There's nothing wrong. It would in fact be great and not cling to some sort of genetic Force dominance or whatever. People just expect the studio to make one of the heroes related to one of the old people.

Yeah; Rey being related to Luke or one of the other OT heroes is the safe option. And as much as I loved Episode VII, it played things very very safe.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Butt Ghost posted:

She scavenged the helmet (not my pic below)

http://i.imgur.com/lwWtmSP.jpg

From this

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0794435696/

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rey is the result of another immaculate conception.

I mean, think about it, we always hear about the mothers who think it's a miracle (Mary and Schmi) but it has to be a new level of "unwanted pregnancy" for most women.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think whoever left Rey on jakku it wasn't by choice.

Hell if we wanna go all OT she's Finn's sister and was put there so she wouldn't be indoctrinated into the first order.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

teagone posted:

The film is working as intended.

still funny

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah, I really hope if Rey remains the only new Jedi she's something other than a Skywalker just because it makes the Force the most nepotistic thing ever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Why would anyone laugh at Ren taking off the helmet? I guess it's just a moment of released tension when he's revealed to not be a horrible burn victim like Vader?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Lucas facetiously calling Disney "white slavers", he should have known the media would latch on to that soundbite: https://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-george-lucas-disney-white-slavers-1201669959/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

Quite often, suicide is a spur of the moment thing, yes - but Luke wasn't making an attempt out of depression but as part of an ethical choice. He's trying to demonstrate that he would rather die than join Vader or risk being Turned. But something stops him from going all the way. He clings to life and goes back to the rebellion. When we next see him he has a robot hand (like Vader), wears black, force chokes people...most relevantly, he's systematically destroying Jabba the Hutt's entire operation. Remember way back in EP1, when Anakin asks if the Jedi are going to end slavery, personified by Hutt watching over the podracing?

The Jedi finally do something about it, and they do it dressed like Darth Vader.

What I'm getting at is, my point is that Luke is conflicted about the choice Vader gives him, because while symbolically killing himself he changes mind, starts dressing like him, and starts fighting slavery. Something the Republic he was fighting to restore never did (Luckily Vader helped destroy that crap), and apparently still wasn't doing until they got Han.

That's a good point, I didn't consider the ethical choice aspect as much as the action with the typical regret.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

jivjov posted:

Why would anyone laugh at Ren taking off the helmet? I guess it's just a moment of released tension when he's revealed to not be a horrible burn victim like Vader?

He does have ethereally good hair for a helmet head.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TWIST FIST posted:

still funny

Because it was likely supposed to be.

jivjov posted:

It's more so because Adam Driver is kind of goofy looking. It fits the character though; Kylo puts up this facade of "I'M A loving BADASS" with the mask, cloak, and aggressive looking lightsaber to cover up his less intimidating features. I could see some people finding the reveal to be funny, or be like "Oh, that's it?" when Kylo Ren takes off the mask. It's like a more serious version of Dark Helmet I suppose.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
what's a jawa's favorite type of pasta

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

rotini

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
But what drink does he order with the rotini?

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

jivjov posted:

He has a very non-intimidating and punchable face.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

he is a bishonen sith lord masterpiece

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005

jivjov posted:

Martini

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

His actions and behavior are way more important than what his face looks like.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

jivjov posted:

"I will finish........

......what you [Neowyrm] started"

• Locked thread