Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know for all the trouble I'll give Dragon Ball some times

The juxtaposition of Cell achieving Perfection and Gohan going SSJ for the first time is really brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Gildiss posted:

Conclusion:
Anime has always been, and will always be, bad.

Next topic:
Is Goku an outstanding or less than outstanding progenitor?

Nobody is perfect. Goku is a bad dad in a vacuum but when you compare him to everybody else in the Dragonball universe who ISN'T training night and day to stop the next jerk-alien on a powertrip from blasting the planet into smithereens he is pretty alright. After all even if Goku had actually let somebody blow up the earth during that whole "My kids will take up the burden" phase he STILL would only be the dick who let the earth get blown up; same as every other Dad on Earth in Dragonball.

As is he is currently residing with his family... occasionally. He is still around enough that he could hypothetically defend the planet *coughFriezacough* and so for the most part he is currently ranging at "Pretty Good" to "Average".

Now if we wanna analyze this from whether he was a good father to Gohan in specific... Nope not really!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eh, I'd say he's probably the worst dad in dbz by default. what little you see of krillin makes him out to dote on his daughter and spend a lot of time with her, satan seems overbearing but at least he's always around for videl, and then you have vegeta who wins out by never throwing his kid at the monster of the week. like in the buu saga the last thing he does before dying is hug his son and then send him and goten away because he doesn't want them to die, gets mad at goku for saving mr satan instead of their kids, and he tries to get gotenks not to attack berus as well. goku, on the other hand, was watching from the sidelines as gohan and gotenks get thrashed. :v: goku's not trying to be a bad dad tho; he's just dumb as a brick

goku's biggest failing imo was that he never understood gohan at all. gohan's favorite uncle piccolo had to spell it out for him in the cell saga that gohan just doesn't like to fight, which apparently goku never noticed on his own even after spending a year in isolation together. he'd only spent like an hour total with goten throughout the whole buu saga because of the tournament/his time constraints, so I guess you can't really blame him for not understanding his second son but he did make the same mistake of leaving the fate of the world in the hands of literal children again. by his own admission he could have just killed buu when he went ss3

tho maybe gohan wouldn't have turned into such a useless dork were it not for chichi

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I dunno, Goku didn't beat Buu because he thought the Earth needed to be able to defend itself without him. Of course, the Earth showed that it's full of fuckups, so he had to do it himself anyway, but he didn't know that would happen.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Wait a minute, isn't Piccolo Gohan's dad ?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

I dunno, Goku didn't beat Buu because he thought the Earth needed to be able to defend itself without him. Of course, the Earth showed that it's full of fuckups, so he had to do it himself anyway, but he didn't know that would happen.

like yeah, I get where he's coming from (gohan should have been the one to kill buu imo but rip) but vegeta's dead and he thinks gohan is as well at that point so he's betting the world on a seven and eight year old

he did this same poo poo with gohan and it literally blew up in his face, and gohan was older than trunks and goten

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manatee Cannon posted:

eh, I'd say he's probably the worst dad in dbz by default. what little you see of krillin makes him out to dote on his daughter and spend a lot of time with her, satan seems overbearing but at least he's always around for videl, and then you have vegeta who wins out by never throwing his kid at the monster of the week. like in the buu saga the last thing he does before dying is hug his son and then send him and goten away because he doesn't want them to die, gets mad at goku for saving mr satan instead of their kids, and he tries to get gotenks not to attack berus as well. goku, on the other hand, was watching from the sidelines as gohan and gotenks get thrashed. :v: goku's not trying to be a bad dad tho; he's just dumb as a brick

I think you may be forgetting the part where Vegeta beats the crap out of his son so he couldn't stop Semi-Perfect Cell from becoming perfect, which is pretty lovely and bad.

he also had a multi-year stint abandoning his family to go training.

really vegeta and goku are incredibly similar when you get right down to it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

That's a really loving stupid reason though.

"I better not stop this murderer even though I can because people need to help themselves"

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
It kind of amazes me that people think "Goku is a bad dad" is some kind of joke the internet collectively agreed on at some point when it's a loving plot point when Gohan fights Cell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zore posted:

I think you may be forgetting the part where Vegeta beats the crap out of his son so he couldn't stop Semi-Perfect Cell from becoming perfect, which is pretty lovely and bad.

he also had a multi-year stint abandoning his family to go training.

really vegeta and goku are incredibly similar when you get right down to it.

yeah I wasn't thinking about future trunks, and yeah vegeta is a bad bad at that point but that is part of his growth as a character. by the end of the cell saga, he legit cares for trunks' well being and by the buu saga he's learned and doesn't repeat his mistake

goku just does the same thing again with goten as he did with gohan, plus he involves trunks because goku's kinda dumb like that

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Twiddy posted:

It kind of amazes me that people think "Goku is a bad dad" is some kind of joke the internet collectively agreed on at some point when it's a loving plot point when Gohan fights Cell.

That's a weird punchline, but I'll accept it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Goku is a horrible monster who believes in his son and recognises that his son is better than him and just needs self confidence.

What a oval office.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

Goku is a horrible monster who believes in his son and recognises that his son is better than him and just needs self confidence.

What a oval office.

"I shall have my pacifistic 12 year old child go punch a horrible immortal bug man without explaining to him that he has a lot of hidden power and instead just letting him be traumatized until it comes out."

No matter how you slice it, what Goku did was wrong. There's a reason why, in the actual loving canon of the show, Piccolo turns to Goku and calls him a goddamn moron- AND GOKU REALIZES HE IS WRONG

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Burkion posted:

"I shall have my pacifistic 12 year old child go punch a horrible immortal bug man without explaining to him that he has a lot of hidden power and instead just letting him be traumatized until it comes out."

No matter how you slice it, what Goku did was wrong. There's a reason why, in the actual loving canon of the show, Piccolo turns to Goku and calls him a goddamn moron- AND GOKU REALIZES HE IS WRONG

but then he turns out to have been right

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Namtab posted:

but then he turns out to have been right
I mean he was right in thinking Gohan could pound the bug man. He didn't understand what was holding Gohan back and what issues he was having at all though. He need Piccolo to help him with that. That's why Goku was presented as being wrong in the show.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if mr satan hadn't thrown 16's head over, he wouldn't have

android 16 is a better dad than goku and mr satan is the true hero of this world

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This thread is being very negative towards shounen hero goku

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Again, the "joke" that Goku is a bad dad and Piccolo is better at being a dad isn't a joke at all, it's literally what's said in the Gohan vs Cell fight. That's how it's presented. That's what happened. Goku didn't get his son at all, other people had to help Gohan unlock his power because Goku was helpless in understanding what his son was going through.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can't wait for Goku to battle gotens depression

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

it will be another frieza clone

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku should take notes from gohan's favorite dad piccolo and throw goten at a mountain

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure why you take issue with the fact that Goku is a flawed father.

Sure it's not to the level of the exaggerated jokes that he doesn't like or take interest in his son- that's true but it only applies to Goten- but Goku not understanding Gohan is a major plot point.

Hell didn't they have to retcon in the excuse that Goku saw a glimpse of SSJ2 when they were training to make Goku seem less like a dickhead for throwing Gohan to the wolves?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

picollo died for gohan, totes unlike the time good dad goku died for gohan

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Burkion posted:

I'm not sure why you take issue with the fact that Goku is a flawed father.

Sure it's not to the level of the exaggerated jokes that he doesn't like or take interest in his son- that's true but it only applies to Goten- but Goku not understanding Gohan is a major plot point.

Hell didn't they have to retcon in the excuse that Goku saw a glimpse of SSJ2 when they were training to make Goku seem less like a dickhead for throwing Gohan to the wolves?

goku is my dad, and im gohan

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

I mean that isn't really a retcon (unless that wasn't in the manga, I don't actually remember). That's just what happened.

Let's not get overzealous in pointing out Goku's flaws.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twiddy posted:

I mean that isn't really a retcon (unless that wasn't in the manga, I don't actually remember). That's just what happened.

Let's not get overzealous in pointing out Goku's flaws.

I know it didn't happen in the actual training session. We saw it, in the anime at least, after Goku's already having Gohan fight Cell. I always assumed it was an anime only thing, though if it was in the manga fair point.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Goku glimpsing SSJ2 in the RoSaT is indeed anime only.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

I know it didn't happen in the actual training session. We saw it, in the anime at least, after Goku's already having Gohan fight Cell. I always assumed it was an anime only thing, though if it was in the manga fair point.
I mean yeah but just because something isn't revealed until later doesn't mean that it's a retcon. It's also a technique for building suspense and mystery. See, every time a group of characters come up with a plan and it isn't revealed until the plan has already started.

That said...

Pureauthor posted:

Goku glimpsing SSJ2 in the RoSaT is indeed anime only.
You learn something new every day.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anime only doesn't strictly mean non-canon

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to be fair, gohan is presented as being stonger than goku even before he snaps and goes ss2, like how they show him being confused and thinking goku was holding back because gohan was measuring his dad's strength to his own and assuming he'd be stronger

to be unfair, remember in the buu saga when goku thinks buu killed gohan and he doesn't really do anything about it? kinda funny when you consider his reactions both times krillin has died

Namtab posted:

yea isn't pikon or whatever his name is from an anime filler arc, but he gets to be for real later?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Namtab posted:

I mean yeah, it's more a curiosity that takes second place to Piccolo ragging on Goku for not understanding the first thing about his son.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Twiddy posted:

god this thread is retarded

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Why are slurs necessary?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

turn on your monitor.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

XboxPants posted:

I think the "given enough time" is the key part here. I'm sure THOSE animators can do better, too, given enough time. The time constraint is the biggest problem to begin with, you can't just remove that from the equation. "I could totally shoot straighter than that cowboy as long as you gave me a more accurate gun than him. :colbert:"

The bigger problem is the keyframing. The old series covered for a lack of frames in cases with well done, dramatic keyframing. Even the infamous four-frame fast fighting that was done with every clash was punctuated by some very dramatic and well done keyframes and stills in between. This series gets rather odd in while you expect some shoddy fills and cheats, even the still in-between stuff looks bad.

It doesn't technically cost more money/time to do more dramatic poses, cleaner mid range stills or a better sense of weight and timing.

I -can- effort post and demonstrate that in a couple of days when I'm back at my other comp, to show exactly what is being referred to here and how it can be simply (and quickly) improved.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Twiddy posted:

I mean yeah, it's more a curiosity that takes second place to Piccolo ragging on Goku for not understanding the first thing about his son.

yeah its hosed up goku lets his son fight the guy that his son wanted to fight the whole time he spent in the time chamber and was stronger than

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I'm mostly just here to be reminded in case I miss when a new DBZA episode drops.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Darko posted:

The bigger problem is the keyframing. The old series covered for a lack of frames in cases with well done, dramatic keyframing. Even the infamous four-frame fast fighting that was done with every clash was punctuated by some very dramatic and well done keyframes and stills in between. This series gets rather odd in while you expect some shoddy fills and cheats, even the still in-between stuff looks bad.

It doesn't technically cost more money/time to do more dramatic poses, cleaner mid range stills or a better sense of weight and timing.

I -can- effort post and demonstrate that in a couple of days when I'm back at my other comp, to show exactly what is being referred to here and how it can be simply (and quickly) improved.

Nah, that was actually a pretty good explanation, at least for me. I don't know a ton about animation but I can at least follow what you're talking about with the keyframes and the inbetween frames. It sounds like you're basically arguing that (at least for some episodes and some sequences) the animation is rotten at the very core, and if you start with a bad foundation like that, then even if you put in more time & effort it would be unlikely to fix it.

This sounds like a leadership/management issue; bad animation directors?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

yeah its hosed up goku lets his son fight the guy that his son wanted to fight the whole time he spent in the time chamber and was stronger than
That isn't what I said. Strawmanning just reflects poorly on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah but eventually they will understand that Goku is a bad dad.

• Locked thread