Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I do the same thing, but with a railgun. Two gimballed burst lasers on the wings, and a railgun under the nose. It works out pretty well because the lasers by themselves are enough for just about anything too zippy for me to aim the railgun at, and the medium and large ships are all easy targets to hit with railgun slugs.

Rail gun was good too. But with a 360 controller and my poo poo dogfighting skills, I need the ammo capacity.

I took a gamble at a signal source and solo'd an Anaconda down to ~25% hull before he hosed off while I was boosting away to recharge my shields - and panic because the sound of your canopy cracking is horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Intl Cron posted:

On a similar topic, can somebody explain how shields work - particularly in the following builds?

Here's a link to a comparison of a Cobra and Courier build I put together:

Coriolis builds

How does the Courier manage to have 468 mJ of shields vs. the Cobra's 123 mJ, when the Cobra has a Class 4 generator versus the Courier's Class 2?
Is it just mass? Does this mean the Courier would take more punishment versus the Cobra based on this scenario?

If the Courier I've built can take that much more punishment than the Cobra, I might be willing to sacrifice the speed and cargo room since I'm a mediocre combatant.

Shield strength is based on both the class of the shields as well as the hull mass (not loaded mass) of the ship itself. Notice how under the shield class, you'll see "optimal mass" and "max mass?" Shield strength scales the lower your hull mass is compared to the optimal mass of the shields; because the Courier has a measly hull mass of 35T, that gives it a huge advantage in shield strength compared to the Cobra, which sits at 180T.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

whoa there's an npc named lowtax?! :monocle:

I took screenshots when I killed him last night. Fucker interdicted my FAS with that god awful Eagle.

Maybe these poor decisions are why nobody sees him in an Anaconda any more.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Nuclearmonkee posted:

What is the name of that fuckin system. I want to see the star with rings.

It's 2MASS JO235 1897+6131236 about 5929Ly from Sol. The rings are very faint tho, invisible until you hit them and even then it's just few rocks.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I once found a ring that was absolutely huge, like 20x the diameter of its planet. It was so faint that I thought it was a graphics glitch, but then it pulled me out of frameshift. There were no rocks or pebbles or anything. Just a grey plain that might have been dust.

Dunno if it was a glitch or a dust ring simulation but it was kind of freaky at the time, in the same way a black hole is.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Done

:toot:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh wow

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

100 Million for the top 5%, goddamn.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

viper mk iv :getin:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Paying out now!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Wow I thought for sure we'd top out at tier 5, nice job to everyone involved with Mistle Toad

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

17 Draconis is one hell of a depressing system :smith:

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
One load of 20 Personal Gifts to Clauss in Santa Muerte: 10,000,000 Cr.

Hooray! I am terribly lazy.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unkempt posted:

Paying out now!

Oh wow so concentrated group efforts like what happened here could prove to be nicely lucrative?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Nice!
Well done everyone: we saved christmas and gave new players a good ship to boot!
And got payed as well, looking at the tier rewards. :getin:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I nabbed E:D on the steam sale. Am hesitant about Horizons, figured I'd get use to the game before I dip further into my funds.

Things I've done since flying out from my first station:

Rammed a space station trying to dock (also didn't know about requesting docking privileges - so I got fined)

Rammed a planet

Rammed another player trying to dock

Delivered some Water purifiers for a contract

This is a good game. Love being a Space trucker.

e: when I jumped to a new system for the first time - I gasped in horror because I thought I was going into the star.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 30, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stringbean posted:

e: when I jumped to a new system for the first time - I gasped in horror because I thought I was going into the star.

Well, in fairness, you will go into the star if you don't pull up or cut your throttle.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
It's way cooler to speed past the star than it is to cut your throttle.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Found my first black hole. Godamn they're so cool :3:

https://gfycat.com/BoldBraveCobra

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Appropriate URL name too...if you were in a Cobra.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

radintorov posted:

Nice!
Well done everyone: we saved christmas and gave new players a good ship to boot!
And got payed as well, looking at the tier rewards. :getin:

I'm having a hard time finding info on this, probably because it's very recent and I'm very new to the game... Do I get a cool new ship from this as a random new player, or must I have participated in something, or what?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm having a hard time finding info on this, probably because it's very recent and I'm very new to the game... Do I get a cool new ship from this as a random new player, or must I have participated in something, or what?

IIRC if you've logged between 3 and 10 hours of flight time you should be getting a Viper... somehow. They didn't exactly specify how it'd be delivered.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

3 posted:

IIRC if you've logged between 3 and 10 hours of flight time you should be getting a Viper... somehow. They didn't exactly specify how it'd be delivered.

Hmm, now to weigh whether to avoid playing tonight in hopes of getting it or just accept that a 140k ship isn't worth that much in the long run. I just upgraded the first time to an Eagle and immediately hit two 50k wanted targets at a nav beacon, so I'm leaning towards the latter.

Though that does bring up a question: I think I may have gotten lucky to get the last shot on both of those targets, with the system security helping too. Do you not get the bounty amount unless you get the last shot?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

RVProfootballer posted:

Hmm, now to weigh whether to avoid playing tonight in hopes of getting it or just accept that a 140k ship isn't worth that much in the long run. I just upgraded the first time to an Eagle and immediately hit two 50k wanted targets at a nav beacon, so I'm leaning towards the latter.

Though that does bring up a question: I think I may have gotten lucky to get the last shot on both of those targets, with the system security helping too. Do you not get the bounty amount unless you get the last shot?

If you help against a target even if the spacecops are shooting it, you will get bounty from it. You don't need the last hit.

As well, you would be getting the Viper Mk. 4. That is a 437k ship, instead of the 140k version. A true sidegrade to the original Viper.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

RVProfootballer posted:

I suppose I should've specified, the freebie is a Viper MkIV which is a surprisingly competent multirole spacetruck. Also it has a spoiler which makes it better by default :v:

The game used to require you make the killing shot but now as long as you land some hits, you'll get credits when the target goes explodo. There's nothing stopping you from hiding behind an NPC Anaconda while you take potshots at criminals.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

RVProfootballer posted:

You don't need the last shot and you don't share the bounty with the other people; everyone shooting the target gets the full bounty amount. You have to stick around until they die though, so no plinking an Anaconda and running away.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The only time you don't get the full bounty is if you're in a wing with someone else. It is split among everyone who hits the target.

Also, if you go into a conflict zone, it's a bit iffy there. They have slightly different rules I believe.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Awesome, thanks for the help all. Guess I shouldn't have spent quite so long ferrying 4-6 commodities back and forth in a Sidewinder or trying to do a stupid multipart mission :)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

IAmTheRad posted:

The only time you don't get the full bounty is if you're in a wing with someone else. It is split among everyone who hits the target.

Also, if you go into a conflict zone, it's a bit iffy there. They have slightly different rules I believe.

I've flown around in CZs and nothing I've seen made me think the bounty was split. They are lower though.

That sucks about wings. I guess I should say I've never bounty hunted with another actual player, so maybe you do split it with other actual players but not NPCs?

Edit: Yeah, don't trade until you have a Cobra, and don't do multipart missions at all until they are fixed.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Intl Cron posted:

I have about 22 mil in credits and I'm looking for some advice on what I should use as my main ship. The Vulture is really a one-trick pony and I'd like a good all-arounder to fly about in. I like running missions and not spending 20 minutes trying to kill one ship.

I was hoping that the Cobra Mk IV wouldn't be so disappointing, and I'm kind of considering going back to my A-fit Mk. III but I'm a pretty mediocre pilot and found it difficult to bounty hunt in it.

Any suggestions on what I should fly? I don't need the ship to be OPTIMIZED or the "best build" - I just wanna have fun and be able to shoot mans relatively fast and have more than 4 slots of cargo space if possible.

The Viper Mk IV is a good all around ship that's better at combat than the Cobra 3 (it has the same general layout but your mediums are under the 'wings') and has more internals to fit stuff with. It's pretty much a Mk IV upgrade done right (bigger and slower but more shooty/fitty.)

It is a very good ship to give to newbies. :woop:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I found the Viper MKIV a bit slow and clumsy compared to the original, but then again I've spoiled myself with the Diamondback-S and Asp-S (seriously, you can out-turn a Vulture if you know what you're doing in an Asp, whut?). It is, however, tanky as living gently caress for something its size - milspec armor and a bunch of hull reinforcement packages can give you more armor than on a freaking stock Anaconda.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I bought this game a week ago after asking about it in this thread and I just want to thank y'all for helping me decide to get this game :buddy:.

It's been rough getting started in it because of just how much content there is, but I've managed to get a steady stream of credits going by camping out at a Resource Extraction Site, teaming up with the local cops and killing some pirates for like ~60k per pirate. I've lost 2 Sidewinders to being cocky but that set me back all of 12k to replace my kill warrant scanner. I still don't know if I want to specialize more in combat, trading, exploration, or what so for now all my money goes into upgrading my Sidewinder for more bounty hunting.

I still kinda suck at dogfighting because my strategy is just "fly around with guns out, follow target ominously until cops take down the shields, unload into ship, pray it's too damaged to turn around and return fire" and I tried using gattling guns until I realized how terrible my aim is so I'm back to gimballed weapons for the forseeable future.

Sidenote for way in the future: Is it possible to destroy stations? I know I'm nowhere near powerful enough to take on even the weakest defense force much less any reinforcements that will show up, but for future reference if I do keep going with combat ships, that'd be something fun to build for.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

I found the Viper MKIV a bit slow and clumsy compared to the original, but then again I've spoiled myself with the Diamondback-S and Asp-S (seriously, you can out-turn a Vulture if you know what you're doing in an Asp, whut?). It is, however, tanky as living gently caress for something its size - milspec armor and a bunch of hull reinforcement packages can give you more armor than on a freaking stock Anaconda.
It's also still not too expensive to fit and the more power available allows for more flexible loadouts than the Mk.3. It also has better jump range than the Cobra mk.3, making it a good explorer ship.

And speaking of ships, are you working on any more ship write-ups?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I meant it's iffy in a CZ if you get any credit for killing something when there's other people there, or even in a wing.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DrProsek posted:

Sidenote for way in the future: Is it possible to destroy stations? I know I'm nowhere near powerful enough to take on even the weakest defense force much less any reinforcements that will show up, but for future reference if I do keep going with combat ships, that'd be something fun to build for.

Nope, you can't blow up stations, and it's suicidal to even try. IIRC, the station defense guns are themselves the size of a Python. Closest thing would probably be capital ships that will show up in hotly contested warzones, and you can damage them enough to force a retreat.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I got this game on the Steam sale. I ran through the tutorials which were good. It tok me a little while to figure out supercruise. Is there a way to tell if missions make sense for a newbie in a sidewinder? Also, is there a way to identify if a contact is going to just blow me away?

ttam
Sep 25, 2004

I'm not far from the bubble, maybe 1600ly, and heading out towards the spiral edge and I ran across this weird finger of stars all clustered together.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this a real thing or is it a bug/glitch? I haven't found a search term that tells me anything about it. I haven't gotten into it yet to see if it's been explored yet.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ttam posted:

I'm not far from the bubble, maybe 1600ly, and heading out towards the spiral edge and I ran across this weird finger of stars all clustered together.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this a real thing or is it a bug/glitch? I haven't found a search term that tells me anything about it. I haven't gotten into it yet to see if it's been explored yet.
The map that close is made up of real star data. Unfortunately real data isn't uniform so you get anomalies like that, it just means someone's been watching that part of the sky a lot (that line should point straight to Earth).

Either that or, you know, aliens.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

3 posted:

Nope, you can't blow up stations, and it's suicidal to even try. IIRC, the station defense guns are themselves the size of a Python. Closest thing would probably be capital ships that will show up in hotly contested warzones, and you can damage them enough to force a retreat.

Ah, darn. Well I shouldn't be too surprised, multiplayer would be a nightmare if everyone could just drop nukes on stations. A little more disappointed that you can't even destroy a capital ship just force a retreat, but it's not like I'm anywhere near doing that anyway. Plus that could always be in a future patch.

I'm thinking of swapping the Sidewinder for a Hauler. On the one hand, I can try out buying and selling stuff which I haven't done much of. On the other, most of my money comes from bounty hunting so I need a ship that can still do that. I noticed only 1 weapon mounted to it. Is it an abysmal choice for a combat ship, or is it still usable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I've noticed similar patterns in supernova remnants - could it be new stars formed in a bar-shape of ejected mass? Or just because we have lots of telescopes pointed at nebulae?

• Locked thread