Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wanda
Dec 8, 2010

It's been 5 years. 5 years cold turkey, no anime. No video games. No forums.

I have a career, a wife, addictions to life-truncating substances...

But screw it. Sleep is for the dead. Time to dcc some tang back into my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wanda posted:

It's been 5 years. 5 years cold turkey, no anime. No video games. No forums.

I have a career, a wife, addictions to life-truncating substances...

But screw it. Sleep is for the dead. Time to dcc some tang back into my life.

I'm glad the simulwatch is this powerful.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Srice posted:

I'm glad the simulwatch is this powerful.

Let's just hope it's not powerful enough to trigger Third Impact.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first two episodes are a good bundle, and tonight's two episodes work well together, too.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Even though a hedgehog may wish to get close to another hedgehog, they gotta go fast.

E: Playing with toys in the middle of class...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I still totally love the op.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
good to see this show was accurate in guessing that by 2015 all students would take notes with laptops instead of paper

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One neat detail I've always liked is how episodes have two different titles.

Plenty of shows have copied a lot of stuff from Eva but that's one aspect that has rarely been imitated.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nothing but fun times in Tokyo 3

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Dammit nerd don't go out in the open during a fight involving a giant robot

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Srice posted:

One neat detail I've always liked is how episodes have two different titles.

Plenty of shows have copied a lot of stuff from Eva but that's one aspect that has rarely been imitated.

Yeah, that is cool. I think maybe Eureka 7 did that too? My memory might just be making stuff up though.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If he runs out far enough into the country, he might run into the cast of Non Non Biyori.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Dammit nerd don't go out in the open during a fight involving a giant robot

I understand Kensuke's feelings

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Welp, see ya.
-Shinji

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"Why didn't you use your toy guns to fight those armed, trained professionals??"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

finally, the fanservice I was promised

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

a kitten posted:

Yeah, that is cool. I think maybe Eureka 7 did that too? My memory might just be making stuff up though.

Haven't seen E7 but I know that Captain Earth did.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The looks on the agents' faces when Shinji threw that punch was great.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

darealkooky posted:

finally, the fanservice I was promised

excuse me i think you will find that there is fanservice in every episode

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

fourty

five

seconds

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

in other words
please be truuuuuue

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
in other words
I love you

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been on my exercise bike while watching and it really puts a bigger emphasis on those dramatic shots that hang there for awhile, haha.

Episode 4 in particular really shows how different it was from every other giant robot show at the time. The prior episodes were to varying degrees as well, of course. But I feel like that is when it really shows itself to be different.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

darealkooky posted:

fourty

five

seconds

Best part of the ep.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

noticed for the first time that there isn't any music in ep 4 aside from background noise from his tape player and the movie and the PA system at the train station

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
God I love, just love, the cinematography and artistry of these early episodes, I had forgotten just how much they work. Every sound, design, and background imagery is tailor made for the mood, meant to evoke a chilly sense of awkwardness, discomfort, and above all, isolation- the feeling of being trapped and alone with your own thoughts, even when surrounded by people. Shinji, having some time to actually process his new life, is coming to realize the extent of his duties and has been confronted with the weight of his failure... and, in the form of Toji, his successes. It's a largely lose-lose proposition, and rather than rising to the challenge, as another protagonist might, the poor boy has a flat out nervous breakdown (I still remember the cicada scene vividly) and quite literally runs for the hills. We also get the first philosophical nugget of the show-the Hedgehog's dilemma, a metaphor used by both Arthur Schopenhauer and Sigmund Freud* to describe the need for intimacy vs. the fear of being hurt, something we see play out in Shinji and Misato's relationship: both want to reach out and seek comfort in each other, but both are hamstrung by acting the way they think the other has to see them... guardian/ward versus soldier/commander. And although an epiphany was reached by the end, there's still the gap, that separation between them that is emphasized. Can they close that gap, whilst being profoundly Bad At Feelings? We shall see.

*Both of whom you might want to get familiar with, because this, um, isn't the first time their work will come up. :v:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I just finished a rewatch of this a couple of months ago, so I probably won't follow along till we hit later episodes/ EoE, but it's always great to hear the opinions of first time viewers.

drat, are these off the blurays? If so I might have to bite the bullet and make my NGE dvds redundant.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

drat, are these off the blurays? If so I might have to bite the bullet and make my NGE dvds redundant.

Not sure actually, I just grabbed them from tumblr; they do look sharper than my old DVDs I'm currently watching this on though, that's for sure.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The second one is from rebuild but yeah the bds look fantastic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aag, and I tried so hard to avoid grabbing ones from Rebuild too.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

:unsmith: ... :smith:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Most of what I love about Eva is in the second half but I still really, really like these early episodes.

As for 60 GB on these rips, the way I see it if I was going to archive a show at an obscenely large size it might as well be Eva. I think I did the same for the Escalfowne simulwatch a while back (only BD rips I could find were 1080p).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah aside from a couple Magma Diver and maybe whichever Jet Alone is the opening episodes are top notch monster of the week stuff and show that you can do that whilst still adding detail to the world, characters and the 'main' plot. It helps that the art, sound and general direction remains constantly good throughout.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah aside from a couple Magma Diver and maybe whichever Jet Alone is the opening episodes are top notch monster of the week stuff and show that you can do that whilst still adding detail to the world, characters and the 'main' plot. It helps that the art, sound and general direction remains constantly good throughout.

I like the Jet Alone episode, A Human Work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some people don't like The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still but that's always been one of my favorites from the early set. It's definitely better than the two Sakurazuka mentioned at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Woah, that episode owns and is one of the better reasons to watch the dub.

wanda
Dec 8, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Some people don't like The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still but that's always been one of my favorites from the early set. It's definitely better than the two Sakurazuka mentioned at least.

It's one of my favourites too. I even like Lilliputian Hitcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Excellent idea , eager to get watching myself!

• Locked thread