Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I thought my boy Sammy was going to be a contender. RIP you silver fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I would have totally run 2 categories if they hadn't missed the $200 clue in the first round :arghfist: :(

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

GhostStalker posted:

Also, was it just me, or was Ravi moving his right arm as his hand gripped the podium a lot as he answered clues? He held the buzzer in his left hand, so it wasn't due to him buzzing so hard that his arm moved or whatever. I dunno, I just found it odd enough to notice and comment on...
My gf noticed that as well. We figured it was just a nervous tick.

Super bummed that Sam didn't make it another day.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

three women getting stumped on a sabermetrics question is the most stereotypical thing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Has there ever been a time when a champion couldn't play the next game before? When they bring her back, will it be like there was a tie for the winner?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

No they'll just bring her back in between champions to continue her run as nornal…

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jojoinnit posted:

No they'll just bring her back in between champions to continue her run as nornal…

How? There'd still be a champion in the wings, then.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

How? There'd still be a champion in the wings, then.

They can just film her shows with 2 other people at some point. Officially that would leave someone "waiting in the wings" but I'm fairly certain they can figure out that scheduling. It's not like they film each show in order, once per day, in a nice clean progression of champions.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

jojoinnit posted:

They can just film her shows with 2 other people at some point. Officially that would leave someone "waiting in the wings" but I'm fairly certain they can figure out that scheduling. It's not like they film each show in order, once per day, in a nice clean progression of champions.

Wouldn't that just leave it in the same situation as it is now, just with a different person?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I really think you guys are overthinking this.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

She should return as co-champion at some point. There is precedence for this:

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5766

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jojoinnit posted:

I really think you guys are overthinking this.

No, you're underthinking it. If she played against 2 different people, what would they do with the winner of THAT show?

wa27 posted:

She should return as co-champion at some point. There is precedence for this:

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5766

Excellent. Thank you.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wonder if they would have accepted "What is the Temple of Diana?" for Final, since Diana is the Roman version of Artemis and that's the more common name for the wonder in question. One of the first I build in Civ V, so that helps as well (+10% food and faster training of ranged units helps a lot!). Probably tacking on the "of Ephesus" would help clarify the answer as well. Can't believe the new champ was the only one to get that, I thought the 7 Wonders were common knowledge, at least for Jeopardy contestants...

Decently good game today, high scores even if there were clues left on the board. Everyone bet big on Final but blew it. Oh well, at least the champ got a big payday.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 23, 2015

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Tryout invites just went out. Here's to another year of Jeopardy left-swiping me.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Today's episode was like an alternate universe version of Community.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

Wonder if they would have accepted "What is the Temple of Diana?" for Final, since Diana is the Roman version of Artemis and that's the more common name for the wonder in question. One of the first I build in Civ V, so that helps as well (+10% food and faster training of ranged units helps a lot!). Probably tacking on the "of Ephesus" would help clarify the answer as well. Can't believe the new champ was the only one to get that, I thought the 7 Wonders were common knowledge, at least for Jeopardy contestants...

Decently good game today, high scores even if there were clues left on the board. Everyone bet big on Final but blew it. Oh well, at least the champ got a big payday.

temple of artemis is definitely the more common name for the wonder but i bet they woulda taken diana. they've taken less precise answers i didn't think they should've before.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 27, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Nice comeback today! That was a pretty hard final.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The betting in tonight's final jeopardy confused me.

$2,700
$9,400
$10,800

If you're in $2,700, wouldn't you want to bet at least $100? The $9,400 person is presumably going to bet it all, and $10,800 is gonna bet $8,001 to protect their lead against the second place person. If they both miss it, you want to be at $2,800 to beat the former leader's new $2,799.

Anyway, all of these things happened except the $2,700 person bet nothing on her winning answer so she came in second.

Another general Jeopardy question...if the champion wins with less than $2k, do they round it up? Seems weird that a champion could walk away with less money than the runners up (obviously they get to come back, but still).

Poque fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 19, 2022

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Apparently they're letting one of the contestants come back since the final was worded ambiguously. Since it said lunar landing it implied it couldn't be Collins since he never landed on the moon.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Shame the guy who answered it didn't take the opportunity to shout KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! during the Star Trek clue with Ricardo Montalban yesterday, as it seemed like the writers were setting that up spectacularly...

zakharov posted:

Nice comeback today! That was a pretty hard final.

I dunno, I got it pretty quickly. John Denver jumped out to me almost immediately. Too bad neither the former champ or the guy in the lead before Final came up with it, and bet big. It really was a nice comeback though, assisted by those big bets. Couple of clues left on the board too...

Looks like something similar happened tonight as well. Bunch of clues left on the board, person in the red at the end of the Jeopardy round coming back to win, albeit with a smaller amount and missing Final too.

Thought tonight's Final was rather easy as well, as Collins seems like it'd be the only name common enough to make sense in that case, especially since I very much doubt that the two people were related in any way, since a bigger deal would've been made over that, and another Armstrong or Aldrin being a Space Shuttle pilot seemed improbable to me. Alex's post "Think" music comment mentioned all three, though the way he ended that comment made me sure that Collins was right.

Got all three members as answers for the clue, though the champ got it right but didn't bet anything, which I agree was a poor bet. After the credits, Alex says they're bringing back the other challenger because the judges felt that the clue was badly worded, referring only to the lunar landing and not the mission as a whole, causing one to possibly rule out Collins. I guess that's fair.

Also, did they just start filming the part where Alex talks to the contestants after the game with them standing behind the podiums instead of in front of them on the stage? I only noticed it yesterday and today, and found it strange compared to how they used to do it.

EDIT: Apparently, he had knee surgery recently, and has been doing this for a week and a half now and I never noticed. Oh well.

Poque posted:

Another general Jeopardy question...if the champion wins with less than $2k, do they round it up? Seems weird that a champion could walk away with less money than the runners up (obviously they get to come back, but still).

Nope, I'm pretty sure what you win is what you get, as coming to play again for a chance at more money is its own reward. Yes, that means that some people who have won games left with under $2k before, if they win only a small amount and then wind up in third in their second game.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 30, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hoo boy.

Poque fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 19, 2022

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

He reminds me of Kenneth the page from 30 Rock.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Dude kept leaning in, I think he needs new glasses. Also he's drat lucky the middle guy got it wrong.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

johnny is the all time worst contestant.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Past Tense Ragu posted:

He reminds me of Kenneth the page from 30 Rock.

Kenneth as Leap Day William

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Poque posted:

Holy poo poo I hate the guy in third position.

I kept seeing this guy:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I guessed wrong on Final as well, went with Brahe even though I knew it was probably wrong. Precalled German scientists that were way too modern when the category was revealed, even though I knew I should've probably went with Renaissance ones instead.

I'm ok with the new champ, but wouldn't mind it if he lost tomorrow.

Also, clues left on the board at the end of every round again! Blargh. Hope they can get through all of them in a game sometime soon, but with how today's champ was playing, I don't think that's likely next episode...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 31, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

maybe if Alex would fuckin talk less we could finish a board

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This old guy reminds me of a turtle

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Soothing Vapors posted:

maybe if Alex would fuckin talk less we could finish a board

the old guy takes like ten times the amount of time a normal person does to answer and then pick a clue. that's why so much poo poo was left up. how does anything get done in the south with everyone talking and thinking so slowly.

if they got rid of the garbage interview portion and the ten minutes of commercials at the end we'd also get every clue every time.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Groovelord Neato posted:

the old guy takes like ten times the amount of time a normal person does to answer and then pick a clue. that's why so much poo poo was left up. how does anything get done in the south with everyone talking and thinking so slowly.

if they got rid of the garbage interview portion and the ten minutes of commercials at the end we'd also get every clue every time.

he seems like a neat person but he was so slow that I wanted to vaporize him after like two correct responses

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't think they can do that, contractual obligations and all for the latter, plus the contestant interview is pretty much mandatory for shows like this... But we've gotten all the clues normally when people aren't moving as loving slowly, and we don't have as many Triple Stumpers, so it'll hopefully get better soon with some new challengers who don't pause as much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i haven't watched a contestant interview since the advent of dvr. i meant we'd literally get all the clues every time no matter how many triple stumpers/slow contestants if they didn't have such a stupid amount of time on not-the-actual-game stuff.

Poque posted:

he seems like a neat person but he was so slow that I wanted to vaporize him after like two correct responses

he's legit the worst even if he probably is the nicest dude.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i haven't watched a contestant interview since the advent of dvr. i meant we'd literally get all the clues every time no matter how many triple stumpers/slow contestants if they didn't have such a stupid amount of time on not-the-actual-game stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't have a DVR.

Also, some interview segments can be hilarious, and I hope you at least watched mine or those of the other goons who have been on the show... And I'm pretty sure the contestant interviews are pretty much part of the show that they can't get rid of since they've been doing them for so long...

As I said before, I don't mind the new champ, but again wouldn't mind if he lost today, if only so we can get all these drat clues revealed again. Just need a more rapid bunch of challengers, I guess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i would skip the contestant interviews if my very best friend was on the show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Goodbye, Sam Drucker, you slow talking bastard.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Goodbye, Sam Drucker, you slow talking bastard.

Really wanted Sandro to win, but I guess Ashley makes good on her second chance. Still clues left on the board, though... Kinda glad Sam is gone though.

Missed Final, guessed springbok for some reason, since it was the only animal name that sounded like it was from Afrikaans that I knew off the top of my head. Wildebeest didn't even register...

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Poque posted:

Eh.... he had folksy charm. I forgave a lot on that account.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no he was extra terrible because there were two goddamn clues left and he still did that squinting his eyes and think for ten seconds about which clue he was gonna pick next.

also it's dumb that woman was allowed back, the final jeopardy that day was pretty obvious in what it wanted for an answer. i've seen shittier worded clues that didn't get anyone a second chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

also it's dumb that woman was allowed back, the final jeopardy that day was pretty obvious in what it wanted for an answer. i've seen shittier worded clues that didn't get anyone a second chance.

Welp, nothing you can do about that other than complain, as the judges made their decision on this thing when the episodes taped a couple months back. Personally, I think the Final Jeopardy clue was well worded myself and I got it right, but apparently the judges thought different, and it's their word that goes.

Man, you have very strong opinions about this show lately, don't you?