Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Super League XVIII: The Aaron of Grievances

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mornacale posted:

So I'm getting ready to finish my Feast or Fired preview and, uh, DOOP.

1) Your platoons are going in the wrong direction (lefties hitting v lefties, etc); you want hitters batting against opposite-handed pitching.
2) Instead of a lefty/righty platoon to give Downing rest days, consider setting your backup C as the personal catcher of one or two starters. Then he'll be guaranteed to play regularly instead of on arbitrary times.
3) Mogul requires you to bat the pitcher 9th
4) The positions in your vs RHP lineup are all out of whack. You've got 3 CFs but no SS, Jermaine Dye at 3B and no RF.
5) There is no LOOGY position on Mogul, you need CL-SU-SR-SR-MR-LR.

This is what I get for not checking my copy/paste :downs:

Ill fix it tonight

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

For whom the Kell tolls

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
HI! WILLIE MAYS HERE FOR BASEBALL MOGUL SUPER-LEAGUE XVIII!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Super League XVIII: Secret Inge-vasion

Super League XVIII: Dode Criss-is on Infinite Earths

Super League XVIII: Civil Warren White

Super League XVIII: Fall of the Mutz Ens
(alternate: Super League XVIII: Fall of the Jeff Mutis)

Super League XVIII: Final Cristian Guzman

Super League XVIII: Infernolan Ryan

...I read too many comic books.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Super League XVIII: A Midsummer Night's Bream

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Super League XVIII: Prepare to Dye Edition

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-League XVIII: The Last Temptation of Christy Mathewson

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Those last two are killing me. I love puns too much...

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Super League XVIII: Sucks to your Ledesmar

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 30, 2015

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

i prefer this one

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

First they came for the Socolovich, and I did not speak out.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Super League XVIII: Get On The Bus, Pay Your Fare, And Tell The Driver That You're Gonna Get A Knuckle Dutch Affair

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I stand by my submission from last season: Super-League Season XVIII - Come my Brouthers and Sislers.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Super-League Season XVIII - Finally Legal, Questionable Sanity, Still Immoral

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Super League XVIII: The One Where Smasher Murders Everyone Out Of Spite

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Super League XVIII: Joe Sewell Kills The Marvel Universe
Super League XVIII: Doing the Same Thing Over & Over & Expecting a Different Joe Shultz

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Super-League XVIII: Maas my Gregg Aase

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Super League XVIII: I loving Hate You All So Very Much

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

cbx posted:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

cbx posted:

Yep, that's about perfect.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mentholmoose posted:

HI! WILLIE MAYS HERE FOR BASEBALL MOGUL SUPER-LEAGUE XVIII!

This.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Yes, that. Alternately:

SUPER LEAGUE XVIII - Goog came up with a funny gimmick for a team, but then it took so drat long for the league to get started that the gimmick lost some of its heat because it's the only reasonably entertaining part of WWE.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mornacale posted:

So I'm getting ready to finish my Feast or Fired preview and, uh, DOOP.

1) Your platoons are going in the wrong direction (lefties hitting v lefties, etc); you want hitters batting against opposite-handed pitching.
2) Instead of a lefty/righty platoon to give Downing rest days, consider setting your backup C as the personal catcher of one or two starters. Then he'll be guaranteed to play regularly instead of on arbitrary times.
3) Mogul requires you to bat the pitcher 9th
4) The positions in your vs RHP lineup are all out of whack. You've got 3 CFs but no SS, Jermaine Dye at 3B and no RF.
5) There is no LOOGY position on Mogul, you need CL-SU-SR-SR-MR-LR.

I think I fixed it now. I updated my roster earlier post ealrier in the thread as well

Lineup/Rotation

vRHP

LF Tim Raines
SS Miguel Tejada
3B Eric Chavez
1B Jason Giambi
RF Jermaine Dye
C Catcher
2B Chase Utley
CF Johnny Damon
P Pitcher

vLHP

LF Tim Raines
SS Miguel Tejada
RF Jermaine Dye
1B Jack Clark
2B Tom Herr
3B Eric Chavez
C Catcher
CF Willie McGee
P Pitcher

Rotation

Pete Alexander
Greg Maddux (Personal Catcher - Hernandez)
Steve Carlton
Randy Johnson (Personal Catcher - Hernandez)
Curt Schilling

Bullpen

CL Jason Isringhausen
SU Todd Worrell
SR Mark Mulder
SR Bruce Chen
MR Barry Zito
LR Tim Hudson

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

The Goog posted:

Yes, that. Alternately:

SUPER LEAGUE XVIII - Goog came up with a funny gimmick for a team, but then it took so drat long for the league to get started that the gimmick lost some of its heat because it's the only reasonably entertaining part of WWE.

nah, New Day's been the best part of WWE since you made them your gimmick. It's just that everything else dropped off qualitywise, not that New Day became THAT MUCH better.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Grinnblade posted:

nah, New Day's been the best part of WWE since you made them your gimmick. It's just that everything else dropped off qualitywise, not that New Day became THAT MUCH better.

The New Day became THAT MUCH better the moment someone let them get away with talking about unicorns and let Xavier Woods bring his trombone to the ring.

Also, Big E trying to eat Christian's kazoo.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

the new day got better when they realized a group of enhancement talent teaming up then clapping and saying they rock wasn't much of a face gimmick

e: i mean something something roman reigns

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Gyorko store called, they're running out of Yu Darvish

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Super-League XVIII: Oh, god, can we play some games?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The Dinger-Hitting, Bases-Stealing, Bones-Rattling, Rain-Storming, Double-Ruthing Sub-Par League VI Preview: Kennel From Hell Division

TheMcD: Ah, the wonderful time of previews. It means that the season isn't far from starting, everybody's ready to go, except Smasher, who is once again dreading the offseason rest coming to an end, and people are already waiting to make their Week 0 lineup changes, because rolls obviously mean everything. Now watch me eat my words as I yank 37 year old Pedro Martinez out of my rotation in Week 0 because he rolled like rear end. That's different, though, because... er, let's just move on.

TheMcD: At this point I’d like to introduce my co-host, Pander, owner of the Portland Panderers.

Pander: Hi.

TheMcD: We asked DannoMack to join us in previewing our collective Sub-Par alma mater, but obligations intruded. Hopefully 66% of the Kennel From Hell division veterans can suffice (I spent more than 50% of the seasons it existed there, dammit!). You're stuck with the man who collects Schillings and holds a grudge over a 20 year old Sandy Koufax, and the last Super-League winner who is allergic to dingers.

Pander: Neither of our SLXVII division previews were at all accurate, so please use this for entertainment purposes only.

Last time, in the Kennel From Hell...

TheMcD: Last season was a story of three teams clashing in a battle fit for a Greek epic and two other teams getting trampled in the crossfire. The Wasteland Vault Boys, Mexico City Mexicutioners and my Hope's Peak Despair were in a neck and neck contest for the division lead, and while the Despair never relinquished the lead after capturing it all the way back in Game 10 of Week 2, my lead never really grew beyond 7 wins, despite finishing with 102 wins on the season, and the other two teams finished strong, knocking my lead all the way down to 1 win at times. It really could have gone either way in the end, and looking at the way the Despair dispatched the winner of the Punjabi Prison, the Houston Hol Horses, and the winner of the Gyros League, The Gay Agenda - by sweeping them both - I feel confident in saying that those three teams leading the Kennel From Hell were the class of the Sub-Par League that season. The Antarctic Coldplayers and especially the poor Mother Base Diamond Dogs were just left in the dust. We don't speak of them anymore.

Pander: Meanwhile, in the Super-League, I won everything but the last goddamn game of the season, and Danno parlayed a wild card berth into a Finals appearance in his first Super-League season since SLXI. That makes two straight Kennel From Hell division winners hitting the ground running after graduation, which puts a lot of pressure on TheMcD to translate his narrow Sub-Par victory into a whole bunch of wins this season. This same pressure, a mantle of destiny, is the fabulous prize awaiting whatever lucky team elbows its way to the top to the K-F’ing-H.

Your teams for this season:

TheMcD: The Mexico City Mexicutioners are a team I know very well and loathe very much. In some ways, they are not dissimilar to my own team, in that we both follow a system that puts offense first, using a high-altitude location and a hand-crafted stadium to boost our output and a pitching staff that is designed to try and keep the damage caused by the increase in offense minimal. And in both cases, this development was more a result of an accident/stupid idea than an actual plan - I ended up having to design a team around the idea of getting a rotation filled with Curt Schilling because I am insane, and rabidsquid only later realized that playing at an altitude of more than triple than what Coors Field is at might bring some dingers with it. However, while I opted for slap hitting, quickness on the basepaths, a flyball power pitching staff and a gargantuan stadium, rabidsquid has instead opted for dingers, a deadball pitching staff, a tiny stadium and more dingers. Did I mention dingers? They're essentially trying to become the Zombie Llamas, but better, and some would call them the favorites to win this division. From what I can tell, nothing has changed for the Mexicutioners beyond the addition of one Hoyt Wilhelm, and bullpen acquisitions, apart from getting a Mariano Rivera, are rarely a great improvement on a team.

TheMcD: The Wasteland Vault Boys are the other surviving team from last season, and a team much more to my taste. The same no-frills, no-power, all-contact hitting squad, but with a greater emphasis on speed reminiscent of the Gander Doppel-Bangers. The pitching, however, is much more deadball-focused (bar that Nolan Ryan thrown in there). While the synergy isn't quite there like it would be with a flyball pitching squad, the deadball squad can possibly give them the edge when it comes to road trips to Mexico City, and they performed incredibly well last season. Nothing much has changed for the Vault Boys in this offseason, with their main addition being David Wright, who replaces Jackie Robinson at third and pretty much doubles their home run rate by doing so. Beyond that, we've got John Wetteland as just another bullpen guy and Johnny Pesky as a utility guy lounging in the minors. Not many changes, but they did come in second last season, so one could presume that no major changes were needed. This team is what some that aren't the some from the above paragraph would call the favorites to win the division.

TheMcD: The Colma Skeletons are boned. Ah-ha-ha-sorry. Still, I can't imagine GVOLTT's latest team doing too well. I like to give new teams the Grass Valley Wizards litmus test: "What are the top three players on this team, and are they an at least somewhat impressive group?" One of the big problems of the Wizards was that they had no standout superstars, just a bunch of "OK, I guess" players like Gary Sheffield, and the top 3 group came out to a 22 year old Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez and Ron Santo, which is not exactly impressive and shows some problems with a lack of pitching. That might have cut it when you're competing against the London Slayers and Second City Sun Bears V1, but against the Mexico City Mexicutioners and Wasteland Vault Boys, it very probably won't. For the Skeletons, this group consists of Rube Waddell, Mel Ott and either Joe DiMaggio or Joe Medwick, depending on whether you prefer a lack of impressive SL history or a lack of history in general, but what little there is looking promising. Either way, while Waddell is the kind of guy you can build a pitching staff around, Ott, DiMaggio and/or Medwick are not the offensive powerhouses you’d want leading your team.

Pander: The St. Maarten Storm are a team of extremes, appropriate for a storm. They dangle two of the best deadballers ever, including the first Super-League Cy Young who could truly be said to be in his prime, followed by the wildly youthful Sandy Koufax. Each outfielder is separated by almost 60 years from the next closest in age. The left side of the infield boasts solid defense and dingers, while the two second basemen in the starting lineup might as well use rollerblades and tennis rackets to play defense for all the good it would do them. There is undeniable talent present here, and for a first-time owner the fundamentals are remarkably strong. Still, the potentially jumbled team construction, a thin bench, an untested bullpen, and owner just getting into the swing of the Super-League make the St Maarten Storm a hard sell to take the division.

TheMcD: Wizards litmus test result: Prime Cy Young, Addie Joss and Stan Musial. That’s a group I can live with. A strong 1-2 like prime Cy and Joss can keep a team going strong, and there’s a lot worse players to be leading your offense than Stan Musial. Like Mel Ott, for instance.

Pander: I like the Goog. But The Goog Day worry me. The Goog has been around the league long enough to witness the rise and fall of the Cern Colliders and Seattle Superb Owls. What hubris on display in the naming of my team pales in comparison to what The Goog has exhibited in his attempt to resurrect the double-Ruth. Don’t get me wrong, a Rickey-Ruth-Ruth-Lou-Barry lineup deserves a gif of the Rock shaking his head and clapping. But the price is the same price we’ve seen before: pitching. This offense will have to score seven runs a game to keep this underwhelming pitching staff alive, which for all we know they may just be able to accomplish. So sit back, relax, and strap it in, because The Goog Day are going to hit some dingers, and they won’t even need a mountaintop stadium to do so.

TheMcD: Wizards litmus test result: Babe Ruth, Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. Sounds impressive to be sure, but it shows the same problem the Wizards had on top of not having any real stars - a complete lack of competent pitching. And in a division with offensive powerhouses like the Mexicutioners and Vault Boys, that looks to be a really, REALLY big problem.

Positional Breakdown:

Catcher

1. 1938 Ernie Lombardi (SMA)
2. 1918 Wally Schang / 1925 Wally Schang (personal catcher) (GOG)
3. 1940 Rudy York / 1971 Carlton Fisk (personal catcher) (MEX)
4. 2000 Ivan Rodriguez (WAS)
5. 1975 Brian Downing / 1943 Ernie Lombardi (personal catcher) (COL)

code:
<Pander> For catchers, I don't really know.
<TheMcD> neither do i
TheMcD: This group is kind of a wash. Lombardi stands on top as a historically solid SL pitcher, but from that point on it gets very muddy. Schang has good defense and a decent enough bat, or so I’m told, York is alright and Fisk is meh but limited by being only in one fifth of the games, I-Rod is another one of those “decent enough” solutions that you could theoretically stick with all the way to a Super-League championship (like Deacon White!), and Downing wasn’t made part of the Larkin-Downing Heroism Award because of his continuous excellent abilities but because of one fluke event. Also, he’s slow as poo poo. You might as well go with a 4-1 split with Lombardi starting and one pitcher getting Downing as a PC, it would probably improve your situation. Then again, I will be starting Buster Posey until the day my team dies, so what do I know about catchers?

Pander: York hits dingers well, which meets the only criterion the Mexicutioners have for positional players. So there’s that. My view on catchers is messed up, because I’m insane and subscribe to the idea that pitcher handling and preventing steals are really important in intangible ways (why I value Deacon White despite his comedic fielding). Schang’s elite pitcher handling may provide good value for the Goog if he can help that hapless pitching staff’s run prevention even a little bit.

First Baseman

1. 1925 Lou Gehrig (GOG)
2. 1895 Dan Brouthers (WAS)
3. 2007 Miguel Cabrera (MEX)
4. 1924 George Sisler (COL)
5. 1971 Willie Stargell / 1895 Ed McKean (SMA)

Pander: The top three are pretty solid. If Big Dan were a few years younger he’d be #1 in my book, but at 37 his superlative hitting and baserunning are starting to fade, so young Lou’s the top 1B, even if his SLXVII performance across the board was remarkably uninspiring. Younger Miguel hasn’t had much positive history, but he likes Mexico and is, amusingly, the best defensive first baseman in the mix. For what it’s worth.

TheMcD: Gehrig, Brouthers and Cabrera all have age problems, so one might as well rank them as if those age problems didn’t exist, but it could just as well be that both Gehrig and Brouthers fizzle and Cabrera soars. And really, defense might as well be ignored when it comes to Cabrera - he’s getting most his balls from an old A-Rod and an ancient Gehringer. The defense is kind of hosed to start with. Sisler and Stargell are just kind of hangers-on, and McKean is a career shortstop. What the gently caress is he doing playing 1B?

Second Baseman

1. 1940 Charlie Gehringer / 1903 Nap Lajoie (MEX)
2. 1973 Rod Carew (COL)
3. 1933 Buddy Myer / 1987 Juan Samuel (GOG)
4. 1927 Riggs Stephenson (WAS)
5. 1909 Nap Lajoie (SMA)

DannoMack: If I’d been around for this in time, Riggs would have been number two on my list.

TheMcD: In a way, I’m happy you weren’t around, because we probably spent most of the time arguing about this group, and adding another opinion into the mix would have been crazy. For the record, I had Riggs at #2, but Pander had Riggs at #4. Then again, I had the ‘09 Lajoie at #1 and Pander had him at #5.

Pander: I think we overrate Riggs a little bit due to his positional versatility and capability for being okay at hitting from time to time. In the end TheMcD and I agreed that these guys have pretty similar makeups (offense first, little power, good speed, weak gloves) and kinda threw our hands up and put a ranking out there. I think being left-handed gives the first three guys an edge over the last two, because they get the more consistent platoon advantage.

Third Baseman

1. 1969 Ron Santo (MEX)
2. 1960 Eddie Mathews (SMA)
3. 2012 David Wright (WAS)
4. 1987 Mike Schmidt (GOG)
5. 2015 Josh Donaldson (COL)

TheMcD: This one’s pretty clear-cut. Ron Santo is the traditional Good 3B Guy (though my personal experiences with him disagree), and he is also Nice, which is an important factor in deciding how good a player will be. Eddie Mathews is a perfectly serviceable 3B solution, David Wright is slightly less serviceable, particularly thanks to his dingerability getting stunted at Acquiris Quodcumquae Rapis Park, Schmitty has been historically disappointing in the Super-League, but at least capable enough, and Donaldson isn’t going to work. If Buster Posey doesn’t work, Donaldson will work even less. He might have good defense, but at 3B, that’s starting to become secondary on a squad that hasn’t gone full groundball. I can’t imagine the bat of a player with three and a half seasons of MLB playtime abruptly cutting off in the year he comes from working out at all in Mogul.

Shortstop

1. 1934 Joe Cronin (WAS)
2. 1965 Ernie Banks (SMA)
3. 2006 Alex Rodriguez (MEX)
4. 2015 Troy Tulowitzki (COL)
5. 1995 Alex Rodriguez (GOG)

code:
<TheMcD> i might also be bitter because danno ripped me off for a banks of the same model
<Pander> You got a lot of value from that trade: the knowledge not to trade with dannomack unless you know what you're doing.
Pander: Joe’s good people. Should hit as well as any SL shortstop, and his glove isn’t horrible for the era. Pretty clear #1, which is not a feat deserving much acclaim given the competition. Ernie may only hit .220ish, but he’s got good pop and better overall skills than A-Rod. The older A-Rod’s had some measure of consistency, and it’s hard to fault a guy who hit over 45 homers for rabidsquid, but his niche seems to be gravitating toward sliiightly under league average. Which is fine, because it’s far better than Troy Tulowitzki, who will be very lucky to hit better than Melissa Mayeux. Still, his glove is Masked Shortstop/Machine tier, so if he can replicate his Sub-Par I performance on offense he’ll have a chance to be the best in the division. And as for Young A-Rod? 19 year old rookie versions of modern players with contact issues and mediocre defense don’t inspire confidence.

TheMcD: Personally, I question whether Tulo’s defense is worthy of being described as “Masked Shortstop/MACHINE tier”. It’s great, really great, but still not the near perfection that those two are, and in an area of extremes like the Super-League, that difference can be a killer, especially if it comes with an absolutely abhorrent offense. Still, it was a tight race between him and baby A-Rod for the bottom spot, because baby A-Rod is also going to be very bad.

Pander: Very, very bad.

Left Fielder

1. 1939 Ted Williams (MEX)
2. 1895 Jesse Burkett (SMA)
3. 1994 Barry Bonds (GOG)
4. 1892 Ed Delahanty (WAS)
5. 1943 Joe Medwick (COL)

code:
<TheMcD> we can break down left field to one question: "how good is jesse burkett"
<Pander> And my vote is "ridiculously so"
<TheMcD> i admit, i saw his stats and ratings and slightly creamed myself
<TheMcD> because yes i do want that on my team bad
<Pander> He's like Dan Brouthers: a guy you'd say "who?" about until they murder you.
TheMcD: This is a nice group. We start off with Ted Williams, who is Ted loving Williams. That is all there is to say. Barry Bonds is also somebody that needs no further introduction, and Delahanty and Medwick are two chips off the same contact-hitting block that should do about the same. The big unknown in this group is Jesse Burkett, and he is apparently very good. He’s got contact hitting, he’s got speed on the basepaths, he’s missing power but who from the 1800s isn’t. So take it from us two contact hitting fans, he’s going to be very good. Not Ted Williams good, but very good nonetheless.

Pander: You don’t need much power if you slash .330/.390/.440. Death from a thousand cuts. I agree that this is a good group, and even Ducky Medwick provides a good shot at reasonable production.

Center Fielder

1. 1892 Billy Hamilton (WAS)
2. 1949 Joe DiMaggio (COL)
3. 1989 Rickey Henderson (GOG)
4. 1940 Earl Averill (MEX)
5. 2015 Andrew McCutchen (SMA)

code:
<Pander>  Billy's the class, Joe/Rickey are pretty solid guys in most all respects 
<Pander>  and McCutchen brings up the rear despite not being as bad as some might think
<Pander> (he's better than Tulo!)
Pander: Back in the olden days they never tracked how many times a player was caught stealing, so as far as the records are concerned, Billy went 914 for 914 in basestealing. Those are the numbers of a WINNER. Joe has a great bat and some good range in center. Despite some seasons where he seemed to forget to pack his bat, the Yankee Clipper can at least complete a throw all the way from deep center to the cut-off man, unlike the man immediately following him. Rickey runs hard, but has Juan Pierre syndrome, so putting him in center field will have consequences. SEVERE consequences. Plus, most people bat Rickey leadoff for his base-running capabilities, but Goog’s dinger-friendly lineup will make that moot. Earl Averill is 38. Even at 28 he wasn’t the greatest centerfielder. At 38, in a flyball friendly stadium, he’s a bit of a trainwreck. Maybe his moderate pop makes up for it. He’ll be better than Andrew McCutchen though, who is absolutely disrespected in the Mogul engine, which as documented cannot handle good modern young positional players.

Right Fielder

1. 1918 Babe Ruth (GOG)
2. 1953 Stan Musial (SMA)
3. 1995 Larry Walker (MEX)
4. 1943 Mel Ott (COL)
5. 1892 Sam Thompson (WAS)

TheMcD: It’s always nice when we have easy groups like this. Babe Ruth is Babe Ruth is Babe Ruth. Stan Musial is an elite hitter and only few people rank better. Larry Walker is a good power hitter that is perfect for the Mexicutioners. Mel Ott is a solid hitter, though the 30+ versions of him have been less than mindblowing. Finally, Sam Thompson has contact hitting and pretty much nothing else, but he’s really good at that thing at least.

Designated Hitter

1. 1925 Babe Ruth (GOG)
2. 1895 Cupid Childs (SMA)
3. 1895 John McGraw (WAS)
4. 1940 Hank Greenberg (MEX)
5. 1924 Ken Williams (COL)

code:
<TheMcD> this is the point where you tell me that cupid childs was really good in your sims
<Pander> oh yes
Pander: Oh, right, there’s a benefit to going double-Ruth. It’s on display right here, in an embarassment of riches. Cupid Childs is a better, lefty Ross Barnes who, instead of playing in an error where walks were unheard of, walks about as much as 2000s era Barry Bonds. It’s okay to have a designated hitter with no power if they do absolutely everything else better than anyone else. John McGraw is a fantastic hitter in the same vein, but is very slightly worse and much more injury-prone. Greenberg’s a decent hitter, and can really mash in that elevated stadium, but being an inferior Miguel Cabrera isn’t the greatest claim to fame. Ken Williams is not the former White Sox GM. He’s a good hitter from the 20s, similar to so many good COF contact/speed/eye guys with no power (see: Paul Waner). He’s the worst of a good group.

Bench

1. 1895 Wilbert Robinson / 1949 Jackie Robinson / 1995 Barry Larkin / 1956 Frank Robinson / 1923 Zack Wheat (WAS)
2. 1999 Fred McGriff / 1995 Vinny Castilla / 1995 Ellis Burks / Platoon Partners (MEX)
3. 2012 Shin-Soo Choo / 1924 Marty McManus / 2012 Michael Brantley / 2015 Edwin Encarnacion / Platoon Partners (COL)
4. 1971 Manny Sanguillen / 1909 Elmer Flick / 1971 Al Oliver / 2015 Aramis Ramirez / Platoon Partners (SMA)
5. 1987 Luis Aguayo / 1925 Earle Combs / 1925 Bob Meusel / Platoon Partners (GOG)

code:
<Pander> As far as benches go
<TheMcD> as far as benches go I don't have a loving clue
TheMcD: This is a relatively simple thing. We have two benches that aren’t terrible, and three benches that are terrible. Jackie Robinson is a great bench piece for the infield, and I think Zack Wheat is a good outfield bench piece for what the Vault Boys are doing. McGriff is an interesting player, though that’s about it - Mexicutioners take second largely because they have more players on their team due to being a returning team.

Pander: Ellis Burks is also a passable CF, and Vinny Castilla is no stranger to high-altitude stadium hijinks. Those two benches can improve, but are still light years beyond…

TheMcD: Beyond that, there’s just three lovely benches that are practically interchangeable. Flick and Combs are alright, I guess, and I’m relatively alone in thinking that Aramis Ramirez is actually decent, but really, they’re all EC team benches, they’re not going to be good and when people start dying, you’re generally going to be poo poo outta luck and jolly well hosed.

Pander: These are not passable backups for any starter. Making a deep bench isn’t easy and isn’t always rewarding, but if you need it and don’t have it you’re dead. It’s sort of like driving without insurance I guess. Good luck with that.

Starting Pitcher #1

1. 1895 Cy Young (SMA)
2. 1906 Rube Waddell (COL)
3. 1909 Addie Joss (WAS)
4. 1901 Christy Mathewson (MEX)
5. 1918 Carl Mays (GOG)

code:
<TheMcD> and then there's rube, who is also just really good
<Pander> I felt like Rube was struggling lately in the SL
<Pander> until I looked up his stats and that corrected the hell out of me.
<TheMcD> rube is a loving beast
<Pander> I think that's just the stink of craigk, and not Rube.
Pander: I think I mentioned it before: I am EXCITED to see a sub-35 y/o Cy Young in the league. By age 28, Cy was firmly established as the best pitcher baseball had yet seen, so I don’t think a younger Cy will be anything short of amazing. Rube’s drat good and not to be ignored short of prime Cy Young. Joss has a slightly better track record than young Christy, who is still a fine SP1. Carl Mays is a good pitcher, bad human being, and terrifying SP1.

Starting Pitcher #2

1. 1909 Addie Joss (SMA)
2. 1923 Dazzy Vance (WAS)
3. 1913 Nap Rucker (MEX)
4. 2015 David Price (COL)
5. 1918 Dutch Leonard (GOG)

code:
<TheMcD> and then there's dutch leonard, who is a questionable SP4~SP5
<TheMcD> eh, maybe a bit harsh
<TheMcD> still, not a SP2
<Pander> No. I like Dutch Leonard, but he wasn't even a SP6 on the Southpaws by the end.
TheMcD: Have I told you about Addie Joss yet? Well, he’s a really really really good pitcher, and having him as your SP2 means that the front end of your pitching is excellent, as it tends to be when you have a prime Cy Young. Prime. Cy. Young. Dazzy Vance is a pitcher I have a particular love for, and he was excellent for the Vault Boys last season. He probably won’t be as insane this season, but he should still be solid. Nap Rucker is a cut above “generic deadballer” status, but not by much. Expect mediocrity. I can’t imagine David Price being great, especially if he gets to go to Mexico City a couple times, though he might exceed expectations, though probably not to Clayton Kershaw levels. Finally, Dutch Leonard is not a SP2. What are you doing, Goog. What are you doing. Oh right, double Ruthing, I forgot for a second.

Pander: Mediocrity is all the Mexicutioners need from Nap Rucker, which I think he’ll exceed. I desperately want to trade for David Price, who’s like a slightly less effective Chris Sale with a starter’s full stamina. I agree he’ll have a devil of a time in Mexico, though.

Starting Pitcher #3

1. 1903 Addie Joss (MEX)
2. 1971 Nolan Ryan (WAS)
3. 1971 Nolan Ryan (COL)
4. 1956 Sandy Koufax (SMA)
5. 1925 Urban Shocker (GOG)

code:
<Pander> And yeah, Shocker is just a guy you kinda hope to not let you down
<Pander> and for most teams not chasing the Ruth/Ruth/Gehrig dream, is not in the starting rotation at all, let alone SP3
<TheMcD> pretty much, goog's pitching is the price you pay for the outfield
<Pander> Yeah, Yikes.
Pander: What the hell, Addie Joss as an SP3? Are you kidding me, rabidsquid? Nap Rucker’s not bad, but what the hell? You move him up to SP2 RIGHT NOW mister. The Nolans Ryans are both high-risk, reasonable-reward candidates who may be slightly over-slotted in SP3, but can throw a no-hitter any given game. Young Sandy is every bit as wild as Nolan, but with less upside in my experience. Urban Shocker is sometimes league-average, and almost never beyond that. He’s a got far too little upside to be a SP3.

Starting Pitcher #4

1. 1910 Slim Sallee (MEX)
2. 1909 Cy Falkenberg (SMA)
3. 1975 Jim Kaat (COL)
4. 1923 Burleigh Grimes (WAS)
5. 1918 Joe Bush (GOG)

code:
<Pander> Joe Bush terrifies me
<Pander> Deadball stuff with no control?
<TheMcD> it's too early to get terrified
<TheMcD> we have not yet reached the bullpen
<Pander> Run, run away.
<Pander> FAR away.
<Pander> For an SP4, Joe Bush is a red flag
<Pander> like your blind date showing up covered in blood
<TheMcD> he is not a red flag
<TheMcD> he is a canary that died half an hour ago

<TheMcD> oldskool likes falkenberg, so he can't be all bad
<Pander> Oldskool got bumped down after having like 17 seasons to get better
<Pander> Who he likes is immaterial outside of if you like Homer at the Bat.
TheMcD: At this point, the rotations are kind of starting to fall apart in places. Slim Sallee has taken the Super-League by storm after just showing up in triplicate all of a sudden, and Cy Falkenberg is part of the more successful “generic deadballer” cadre, but beyond that… I’ve never really liked Jim Kaat, and being 36 doesn’t help matters. Burleigh Grimes is a questionable generic deadballer that has ups and downs, though he, like others, had a great up for the Vault Boys last season. And then we have Joe Bush. Joe Bush is not going to be good. At all. A strikeout/walk rate hovering around 1 is a very bad thing to have. It makes his pitching largely dependent on avoiding hits, and given that you’re in a division with slap-hitting Vault Boys and dinger-tastic Mexicutioners, that’s something that should fill you with despair. Of course, you have been filled with despair at the prospect of your pitching the moment you made this team, Goog.

Starting Pitcher #5

1. 1903 Bill Bernhard (MEX)
2. 1892 Tim Keefe (WAS)
3. 1895 Nig Cuppy (SMA)
4. 1924 Urban Shocker (COL)
5. 1925 Bob Shawkey (GOG)

code:
<TheMcD> shawkey sounds like a non-union replacement for shocker
<TheMcD> and that's bad
TheMcD: And the decline continues. Bill Bernhard is essentially a lesser Rick Reuschel - a guy that shouldn't be this good, but yet somehow just is. Tim Keefe is a solid pre-deadballer who can at least give you something average. Nig Cuppy, otherwise known as the Cuban Warrior or Cuban Hero, is the son of two German immigrants. Ah, the 19th century. He made a career out of playing second fiddle to Cy Young, and should do well enough, though there's always that element of doubt when it comes to pre-deadballers. See, Goog, this is where Urban Shocker should be playing. SP5 at the most, probably preferably at LR. He struggles to be average, and that's bad. Bob Shawkey was never as good as Urban Shocker. That should be all that needs to be said.

Bullpen

1. 2015 Joakim Soria / 2015 Mark Melancon / 2015 Tony Watson / 2015 Antonio Bastardo / 2015 Jared Hughes / 2015 Masahiro Tanaka (SMA)
2. 1971 Sparky Lyle / 1984 Rich Gossage / 1952 Hoyt Wilhelm / 1971 Tug McGraw / 1971 Luis Tiant / 1903 Red Donahue (MEX)
3. 1996 Robb Nen / 2001 Arthur Rhodes / 2001 Jeff Nelson / 1994 John Wetteland / 1892 Gus Weyhing / 1895 Sadie McMahon (WAS)
4. 1975 Rich Gossage / 2012 Joe Smith / 2012 Cody Allen / 2012 Aaron Loup / 1975 Terry Forster / 1975 Wilbur Wood (COL)
5. 1987 Steve Bedrosian / 1987 Mike Jackson / 1918 Sad Sam Jones / 1925 Herb Pennock / 1925 Sad Sam Jones / 1925 Waite Hoyt (GOG)

code:
<Pander> Let's start off with the obvious
<Pander> the Goog's pen is a crime against nature.
<TheMcD> yep

…

<TheMcD> who knows what some people are thinking with their pens
<TheMcD> the answer is probably "not much at all"
<Pander> Most don't.
<Pander> Their loss.
TheMcD: Bullpens sure are a thing. A thing we all hate. Nonetheless, they must be ranked. In this arguing session, Pander’s arguments rung truer than mine, and the “just take a modern team’s pen and throw them all in” strategy takes top spot over the more conventional Mexicutioners pen, aided partially by Soria being a beast. From that point on, the Vault Boys’ and Skeletons’ pens have some interesting pieces in them that can do well, and the Goog Day’s pen is just a disaster. And as if wanting to commit fully to the sadness that is that pen, Goog not only uses one, but two Sad Sam Joneses.

TheMcD: This is a picture of Sad Sam Jones smiling - he was called “sad” because he generally had his cap pulled down more than the other players, making him look downcast. Take a good look at this picture and imprint it in your mind, because I can guarantee you that your Sam Joneses will be doing no smiling at all.

Closing Thoughts:

TheMcD: So, how will this division go? Why are you asking me, I’ve already proven I don’t know what I’m doing! But regardless, to me, this division is split into three. There’s the establishment of the Mexicutioners and Vault Boys, the one with potential, the St. Maarten Storm, and then there’s the poor sods that are the Goog Day and the Colma Skeletons, who both just have too many glaring issues with not enough positives to outweigh them. I’d call the division like this:

1. Mexico City Mexicutioners (90~95 wins)
2. Wasteland Vault Boys (90~85 wins)
3. St. Maarten Storm (80~75 wins)
4. The Goog Day (70~65 wins)
5. Colma Skeletons (65~60 wins)

Pander: I think the Mexicutioners have a good home field advantage, but will be outgunned at home by at least one team (the Googs!) and won’t have the Diamond Dogs or Coldplayers to feast upon anymore. Some of the teams left over in the DH league are ones the Mexies struggled against, like the Shardblades and Killer Mikes. Plus, the Vault Boys actually finished second last second, and still look pretty good, so they take top spot. I kinda like some of what the Storm offer, but they just need a bit more synergy to challenge for the lead here. Colma’s pitching is clearly superior to the Goog Day’s in all respects, but the gap in offenses is far more severe between the two. So I agree with TheMcD’s ranking of the final three.

1. Wasteland Vault Boys (95 wins)
2. Mexico City Mexicutioners (85 wins)
3. St. Maarten Storm (77 wins)
4. The Goog Day (68 wins)
5. Colma Skeletons (60 wins)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XVIII, Week 0: Never Finish What You Start

I'll give you guys the weekend to mull things over, and then I'll do the first sim on Monday morning.

Team Statistics

Analysis

That is a dangerous number of Astros. Frankly, any Astros are too many.

Analysis

I don't think you've given me your lineups.

Analysis

This team still fills me with fury. Just so you know.

Analysis

Sally forth, yon beknighted men!

Analysis

How far can gimmickry take this team? The playoffs, maybe, but I'm not sure it can get them a title.

Analysis

It's all about the game, and how you play it.

Analysis

Slug Lyfe 4 life!

Analysis

ROMAN! REIGNS! He hopes this does well.
ROMAN! REIGNS! Or else it will go to hell!
ROMAN! REIGNS! He wishes that your day comes!
ROMAN! REIGNS! And then he mocks your plums!

Analysis

The Space Fish are beyond my ability to predict.

Analysis

It's not necessary to shuffle the rotation yet, but keep an eye on it.

Analysis

Dingers and not much else.

Analysis

Nothing new to report.

Analysis

Please win this division. If you don't, I feel like your brain is going to break.

Analysis

Good hitting, the pitching is not as bad as everyone seems to think.

Analysis

Historically, teams from the Pacific Northwest haven't done well. But, hey, let's see if you can buck that trend.

Analysis

The trendy pick to win the Super-League title. But a Canadian winning a baseball championship? The last time that happened, it forced the cancellation of the next year's World Series!

Analysis

Finally, THE Thornton Lee has come back to the Super-League!

Analysis

It's been something like three years or more in real time since TKBomber won a division. He's due.

Analysis

Hello, hello, hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me.

Analysis

I'm not sure how long Collins will survive.

Analysis

I've reformulated RNG God, drawing inspiration from the greatest fighter to ever come out of Brazil...

Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida.

Analysis

DO BETTER!

Analysis

There's a pretty good chance that either the Sheikhs or Marmosets implode.

Analysis

First in love, last in alphabetical order.

Standings

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Now I've seen the rolls;

Line-up Changes

Batting order and starting line-up:
#1: Ed Delahanty (DH)
#2: Carlos Beltran/Duke Snider (CF) Beltran vs. Lefties
#3: John Olerud (1B)
#4: Babe Ruth (RF)
#5: Lou Whitaker (2B)
#6: Al Simmons (LF)
#7: Scott Rolen (3B)
#8: Cal Ripken (SS)
#9: Ted Simmons (C)

Bench:
#1: Ivan Rodriguez (C)
#2: Carlos Beltran/Duke Snider (CF)
#3: Hanley Ramirez (IF)
#4: Enos Slaughter (OF)
#5: Adam Dunn (Chosen One)

Rotation:
#1: Cy Young
#2: Pete Alexander
#3: Wanderlei Bolton
#4: Randy Johnson
#5: Jack McDowell

Bullpen:
CL: Rob Dibble
SU: Eri Yoshida
SR: Paul Assenmacher
SR: Keith Foulke
MR: John Franco
LR: Steve Carlton

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Goddammit Monicro! I will murder your age-bugging Eddie!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

One small change. Send down Carlos Beltran and call up George Kell

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Shifting the batting order around.

vs. RHP/LHP w/ DH:

1. 2B Eddie Collins
2. LF Ted Williams
3. RF Joe Jackson
4. DH Babe Ruth
5. CF Maniac Magee
6. 1B Jimmie Foxx
7. SS Luke Appling
8. C Gabby Hartnett
9. 3B George Kell

vs. RHP/LHP no DH:

1. 2B Eddie Collins
2. LF Ted Williams
3. RF Joe Jackson
4. 1B Babe Ruth
5. CF Maniac Magee
6. SS Luke Appling
7. C Gabby Hartnett
8. 3B George Kell
9. [pitcher slot]

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Everything looks good! No changes!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Only thing I see wrong is Hojo is supposed to be on the bench instead of papi, but holy moly what a god awful roll.

Other than that, LET'S DO THIS.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Mmmmmm look at those rolls. I guess if anyone in need of pitching thinks that 1984 Bert Blyleven roll is too good to waste in my minors get at me, but otherwise I'm sticking with everything as is.

Smasher, I'm not sure if I specified this in the roster post but please make Bresnahan the personal catcher for Walter Johnson. Otherwise everything looks good!

If they hadn't cancelled the 94 season it would have been three years in a row of Canadian champs. The American baseball conspiracy is more sinister than you think.

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 31, 2015

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pretty sure Blanka is the greatest Brazilian fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

Good hitting, the pitching is not as bad as everyone seems to think.

I was absolutely shocked to find out that every member of this year's rotation had an ERA+ over 100 last season.

Which worries me a bit, because there's certainly some regression coming there this season.