Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Pacra posted:

As a correction - Cleveland citadels have been for the most part fixed and should be in line with the rest of the USN cruiser line - somewhat harder to pen than other boats, but still doable.
I have bad history trying to citadel Cleveland. To be honest it is strongest tier 6 CA by far. Its like its peers dont really have many chances to citadel it. To reliably citadel you need to close up range a bit. I doubt that Nurnberg will citadel Cleveland's 127mm of armor from 15km, Aoba might on account of 8 inchers but I doubt it as well. And closing up on not distracted Cleveland is suicide.

Pacra posted:

And you mean strong up to tier 6, not including tier 7, the Pensacola.
Yes. Not including tier 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Sharzak posted:

OK. I just barely unlocked the tech tree. Is there a good first ship to go for? Or at least any in particular to avoid?

The St Louis (Tier III US cruiser) is an excellent ship for its tier. Sure its slow and does not have great range, but its tough and can deliver a relentless hail of shells from its broadsides. The Japanese Tenryu is also pretty good, but a little trickier when you are new because its a lot more fragile and you need some basic torpedo skills to get the most out of it. Like someone else said taking Japanese destroyers up to at least Tier IV (Isokaze) is good because it should teach you how to use torpedoes.

The German tier III and IV cruisers are pretty terrible, so id avoid that line for now. The early battleships (tier III) and aircraft carriers (IV) are also very underwhelming. This is supposedly done intentionally to make you "earn" the better ships farther down the line.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The Christmas x3 was great for getting me a lot closer to the Mogami and Nuremberg. The Emden challenge was pretty easy. I'm looking forward to the Mogami and going to free xp my way past the Ibuki into the Zao.

I'm glad I spent 12 bucks on the Murmansk. It's good for training ny Ruski dd captains and is a great premium. I went 1v1 against a Furutaka and beat it handily.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm glad I spent 12 bucks on the Murmansk. It's good for training ny Ruski dd captains and is a great premium. I went 1v1 against a Furutaka and beat it handily.

Pure DD vodka swilling officer on the Murmansk is hilarious.

I think you can get detection range down to something silly like 11.5km or something close to that, so by the time some enemy DD detects you, you can go ahead and pop acoustic search, burn them down while charging into torp range and hitting targets of opportunity before disappearing into the fog(I know, no smoke). Between the officer skill and the module, torp reload is at a comfortable 60s.

Murmansk as a fat DD is amazingly fun, try it.

Pseudophile fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 31, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Holy crap I love the Blakyschasa or whatever. Great guns, solid speed/agility, good torps, it just does it all.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

cheese posted:

Holy crap I love the Blakyschasa or whatever. Great guns, solid speed/agility, good torps, it just does it all.

Pretty much. I hope it doesn't get nerfed anytime soon.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

wdarkk posted:

Pretty much. I hope it doesn't get nerfed anytime soon.
If I love this playstyle, should I go US or RA DD's? I'm at the Hatsuharu and kind of bored with the line. I have the Nicholas unlocked but 5km torps is just a bridge too loving far. I've got a bunch of free XP that I would use to get to the first good ship in those lines (Benson? Faragut? Kiev?)

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

cheese posted:

If I love this playstyle, should I go US or RA DD's? I'm at the Hatsuharu and kind of bored with the line. I have the Nicholas unlocked but 5km torps is just a bridge too loving far. I've got a bunch of free XP that I would use to get to the first good ship in those lines (Benson? Faragut? Kiev?)

I loved the Gnevny, and the Izsy before it wasnt that bad. Even the Derzki was ok. Ognevoi was a bit of a chore because its slower than the Gnevny and has the same firepower. The enclosed turrets rotate faster which is nice, but one fluky hit often wipes out 50% of your firepower in one shot. Kiev is still mean as hell and steals the lunch money from other DDs. I think im more interested in going for the Fubuki and Shimi over the Khabarovsk though

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Lakedaimon posted:

I loved the Gnevny, and the Izsy before it wasnt that bad. Even the Derzki was ok. Ognevoi was a bit of a chore because its slower than the Gnevny and has the same firepower. The enclosed turrets rotate faster which is nice, but one fluky hit often wipes out 50% of your firepower in one shot. Kiev is still mean as hell and steals the lunch money from other DDs. I think im more interested in going for the Fubuki and Shimi over the Khabarovsk though
How does that compare to the US DD line though? Gearing looks really well rounded and I keep seeing Bensons just carrying hard.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Lakedaimon posted:

The St Louis (Tier III US cruiser) is an excellent ship for its tier. Sure its slow and does not have great range, but its tough and can deliver a relentless hail of shells from its broadsides. The Japanese Tenryu is also pretty good, but a little trickier when you are new because its a lot more fragile and you need some basic torpedo skills to get the most out of it. Like someone else said taking Japanese destroyers up to at least Tier IV (Isokaze) is good because it should teach you how to use torpedoes.

The German tier III and IV cruisers are pretty terrible, so id avoid that line for now. The early battleships (tier III) and aircraft carriers (IV) are also very underwhelming. This is supposedly done intentionally to make you "earn" the better ships farther down the line.

The tier 4 CVs don't really measure up to higher tier counterparts individually, but in the games they tier into they poo poo all over the tier 3 and 4 ships and are competitive against the tier 5. No one has the AA to prevent a good Langley or Hosho from taking over a match. Later more common loadout mismatches and far more effective AA make the mid tier CVs more of a pain to play.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

cheese posted:

How does that compare to the US DD line though? Gearing looks really well rounded and I keep seeing Bensons just carrying hard.

That's because the Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing are all superb boats. The Nicholas, Farragut, and Mahan are all butt-trash that are a pain to grind through.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

cheese posted:

You never really get a good choice between the two. US DDs have floaty shells, but their DPM is higher than RUS DDs. If you like going in and taking a chainsaw to an enemy DD's HP, their guns are better. US torps are also much better than RUS torps, so they offer a middle ground between the gunboat style of RUS and the stealth torping of IJN. RUS DDs have significantly better shell ballistics than US DDs, but are less stealthy. Their torps are abysmal for anything other than ambushes, but they are fairly tanky, and at T7 and later, insanely fast.

If you liked sneaking around and torping things, IJN is the way to go. If you liked shooting poo poo and then manuevering for a sneaky torp attack, US is the way to go. If you just shoot and shoot and don't give a drat who you're fighting, RUS is the way to go.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

If you liked sneaking around and torping things, IJN is the way to go. If you liked shooting poo poo and then manuevering for a sneaky torp attack, US is the way to go. If you just shoot and shoot and don't give a drat who you're fighting, RUS is the way to go.
Thanks for the input, looks like I'll drop some free XP to unlock the Mahan and start there.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I've played both the US and IJN lines, and you'll need to let yourself be seen sparingly when playing IJN at higher tiers. Simply getting detected by Fletchers or Gearing are extremely dangerous. The russian DD's to me are less of a threat because they're visible a lot earlier.

With that said you can hold back enemy forces almost on your own with a IJN DD at high tiers. Personally, I find the US DD a little more fun at high tiers, their only downside being the hang time on the shells. I really only fire on larger ships to start them on fire after I've seen them repair. At higher tiers I've found the game really changes. You need to play a lot less aggressively, because if you're alive near the end of the game, you really have a chance to cause a huge impact.

Speaking of big DD, had to play a game at halftime to stay awake, and I will use this as my recommendation to buy the Atlanta again. Even without planes being much of a factor in the game, you absolutely WRECK DD, and other CL that decide not to prioritize you. I'm most proud of this game because I was shamed and scolded at the beginning by a pair of BB for not sailing off into the open with them. Also, most of my damage didn't even come from fire damage. At one point I had an active streak of 200 hits.

No flags, just the 1.5x.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Did the Atlanta get a buff this patch?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

TeamTooHeavy.jpg

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Jsut asking again, any voicechat or chat channel for EU goons?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
is there an EU TS server for WoT?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Another testament to the silliness of putting a BC at tier 9.

:flame: 68722

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

demonR6 posted:

is there an EU TS server for WoT?

We still have a channel on the 2 PAC TS Server, but every time I go there it's empty :smith:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Hammerstein posted:

That's me bursting into flames every time I play and the first ship unloads on me. Depressing but true.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hammerstein posted:

This is what gaming is like on a 4650.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Still better than putting a giant slow flat deck of a BC at tier 10.
Montana getting reliably citadeled by Colorado and all.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

This is what gaming is like on a 4650.

5 frames?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

demonR6 posted:

MRE what file specifically is that? I have seen the mods for the tracers, I wonder how this would interact with that file.

What started this is that I've started hanging out on the forums at aslain.com, the home of the WoT/WoWs modpack guy. Someone posted a request for a mod to completely remove the smoke trails from flying shells, and after some poking and experimenting in Photoshop, I actually managed to do that. If anyone wants to give it a try, here you go - http://www.mreboy.com/wows/WOWS_0521_No_Contrails.zip

The mod is a single file replacement, Trail_smoke.dds, which is in \res_mods\0.5.2.1\particles\trails. Tracer mods change 4 other files, all starting with Trail_Shell_Hat. There are 4 Trail_Shell_Hat files, one each for friendly HE/AP, and enemy HE/AP. Since there's no file overlap at all, any changes to Trail_smoke will not interfere with any tracer mods. As to high visibility ricochets, I think the file for that is in the same directory, but I haven't really been looking.

I've just been experimenting with weird smoke trail ideas, here's a recent one:

Yes, those are neon red Wingding smiley faces :v: . Anything that can be cleanly displayed in black and white is a viable graphic for use. The general appearance of the trail is controlled by a 1-bit alpha mask. An SA Grenade is not out of the question.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Arpeggio missions have been announced, though this is for EU so far.
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/arpeggio-steel/

Looks to be similar to the Emden missions in that they are 3 step missions. Thought they only work when you're in the Yokosuka port. Nice rewards to be had, even if you don't want the anime boats.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

FREEDOM DELIVERY OUTBOUND !! :911: :patriot: :fsmug:

Yeah this is getting easier, took less than 10 minutes to make that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MREBoy posted:

An SA Grenade is not out of the question.

How did you know that was the direction I was going? LAFFO

Wait, can it say Goooooons! ?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Time to show off :smug:

The Gremyashchy is murderous in a knife fight, those citadel hits came from shooting AP into a Phoenix at close range.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

Arpeggio missions have been announced, though this is for EU so far.
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/arpeggio-steel/

Looks to be similar to the Emden missions in that they are 3 step missions. Thought they only work when you're in the Yokosuka port. Nice rewards to be had, even if you don't want the anime boats.

Urgh, shooting down 150 planes is gonna take forever. :(

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Magni posted:

Urgh, shooting down 150 planes is gonna take forever. :(

Might be best to do it with goons, have somebody queue with a carrier to guarantee a hostile CV. Somebody's gotta play Sky Cancer, though...

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
says you can do it with any tier V+ ship so just play a fighter-fit carrier and barrage-fire your way to an easy mission completion. hell, i just had a game in my independence with 45 plane kills

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

says you can do it with any tier V+ ship so just play a fighter-fit carrier and barrage-fire your way to an easy mission completion. hell, i just had a game in my independence with 45 plane kills

Yeah, I'm planning to rock the fighter-spec Bogue and just mop the skies until it comes through. Shouldn't take more than a day or two, tops.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

MREBoy posted:

FREEDOM DELIVERY OUTBOUND !! :911: :patriot: :fsmug:

Yeah this is getting easier, took less than 10 minutes to make that.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

The Murmansk is SUCH a loving beast. It almost feels criminal that it gets to fight Wyomings and Myogis and Tenryus. The HE spam, the range, the torps, the agility. Brutal.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

demonR6 posted:

How did you know that was the direction I was going? LAFFO

Wait, can it say Goooooons! ?

This is SA. It's either grenades or dicks on everything in games. I'll work on this tonight.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MREBoy posted:

This is SA. It's either grenades or dicks on everything in games. I'll work on this tonight.

Dong cloud is promising but is it doable?

:dong::yaycloud:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I went back into this game a few days ago and I'm still pretty kinda very bad. But I did manage to spend several minutes dodging torpedoes in a battleship. We kept firing at each other and evading for quite some time until a friendly cruiser finally manage to sink the enemy destroyer. I think I was in a tier 4 Japanese ship. It has three turrets which reload slowly and the twin cannons are, given their accuracy, completely V-shaped. :downs:

MREBoy posted:

How about a dick shaped torpedo with a pair of grenades?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

^^^ maybe.

demonR6 posted:

Dong cloud is promising but is it doable?

:dong::yaycloud:

It wouldn't be animated and it's random whether or not it's right side up or not, but yeah it's doable.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I guess that is our clan logo for SEAMN.. check the OP.