Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm really hoping they do something different with the next one. TFA was good, but the more I think about the story, the more I feel this was a reboot rather than a continuing story (100% expected that since this is JJ we're talking about, and all he knows how to do is rehash).

Personally I'm hoping we can get a little back-story on what happened after ROJ. Was it literally A Robot Chicken skit or what? The First order needed a super weapon to take out the Republic, as apparently they are a credible threat. . . just realized there is another ANH parallel there. Does the first order have a handful of ships? Are they still a massive force? Why is the rebellion called "the resistance"? Does the republic have a treaty with the first order?

Now that JJ is gone I'm a lot less worried that VIII is just going to be another ANH remake, (he did remake The Wrath of Khan two times in a row), but Rian Johnson (Writer Director for SW VIII) did Looper and . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm kind of hoping they elaborate or at least acknowledge C3P0's relationship to Like and Leia: their brother. He shares the same father and that's interesting.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blistex posted:

Personally I'm hoping we can get a little back-story on what happened after ROJ.

We already have that in the form of books.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

greatn posted:

I'm kind of hoping they elaborate or at least acknowledge C3P0's relationship to Like and Leia: their brother. He shares the same father and that's interesting.

No one alive knows that though. Or cares.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Steve2911 posted:

No one alive knows that though. Or cares.

R2 knows

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Saw it for the second time, loved it again. The roles are good, the actors were good, it fed a lot of my childhood nostalgia without seeming too pandering. Lens flares were under control. I don't care that it's a rehash tbh, but I'm no film critic. I thought the humor was spot-on, not guffawing out loud but certainly grinning. The thing that probably hooked me hardest was hearing the TIE engine scream and blaster noises before it even released from the umbilical during Poe and Finn's escape. It flicked some subconscious switch in me, from there on out Star Wars was officially back in OT goodness somehow.

So my theory is that Ren is stowed away aboard the Falcon, Aliens style. Gets delivered directly to Skywalker Isle, kicking off Episode VIII.

During Rey's flashback (I think it's when the ship takes off that left her on Jakku?) the "background" for lack of a better word fades to black with a rectangular red glowing thing. I'm not sure what it means but it seemed pretty deliberate.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

uwaeve posted:

During Rey's flashback (I think it's when the ship takes off that left her on Jakku?) the "background" for lack of a better word fades to black with a rectangular red glowing thing. I'm not sure what it means but it seemed pretty deliberate.

Watched it again last night and after she watches the ship that drop her off leave I think it turns into Kylo Rens lightsaber and she gets a brief glimpse of her encounter with Kylo Ren at the end. To me this adds further to the foreshadowing that Kylo Ren is who left her on Jakku in the first place.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

enraged_camel posted:

We already have that in the form of books.

Isn't the EU now non-canon? Or are there new EU books that go with the movie?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

starkebn posted:

I was really hoping Luke would say something like "No, that's yours now" when she was holding out the lightsabre at the end.

He takes the lightsaber from her and cuts her down, revealing that he was Snoke the entire time

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dr. Poz posted:

Watched it again last night and after she watches the ship that drop her off leave I think it turns into Kylo Rens lightsaber and she gets a brief glimpse of her encounter with Kylo Ren at the end. To me this adds further to the foreshadowing that Kylo Ren is who left her on Jakku in the first place.

When you see her as a child, there's an (unseen except for his hand) man holding onto her arm who says "Quiet, girl" and it definitely sounded to me like Max von Sydow. Since the text crawl says his character is an old friend of Leia's and the opening scene clearly establishes that he knows/worked for her and knew Ben Solo before he became Kylo Ren, it would be kind of weird. Why would Ren leave her with von Sydow's character only to come back later and kill him without asking about/looking for the girl?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hulk Krogan posted:

When you see her as a child, there's an (unseen except for his hand) man holding onto her arm who says "Quiet, girl" and it definitely sounded to me like Max von Sydow. Since the text crawl says his character is an old friend of Leia's and the opening scene clearly establishes that he knows/worked for her and knew Ben Solo before he became Kylo Ren, it would be kind of weird. Why would Ren leave her with von Sydow's character only to come back later and kill him without asking about/looking for the girl?

It was the giant hamhand of the scrap dealer though, and it sounded like him to me too.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

When you see her as a child, there's an (unseen except for his hand) man holding onto her arm who says "Quiet, girl" and it definitely sounded to me like Max von Sydow.
That was the junkyard guy

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I can't confirm or deny any of this because the music drowned out *everything* at my showing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Huh, sounded like Sydow's accent to me but I guess not.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Yeah, definitely Unkar's hand. And the voice was pretty clearly his to me, too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Blistex posted:

Now that JJ is gone I'm a lot less worried that VIII is just going to be another ANH remake, (he did remake The Wrath of Khan two times in a row), but Rian Johnson (Writer Director for SW VIII) did Looper and . . .

In the next movie, Chewbacca shaves off his fur and becomes the galaxy's biggest death stick dealer.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Spacebump posted:

In the next movie, Chewbacca shaves off his fur and becomes the galaxy's biggest death stick dealer.

You know, that makes me wonder: How would the audience know if a Wookiee is under the influence of a jedi mind trick?

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Fred Breakfast posted:

You know, that makes me wonder: How would the audience know if a Wookiee is under the influence of a jedi mind trick?

They're a gracious loser in competition.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Blistex posted:

Isn't the EU now non-canon? Or are there new EU books that go with the movie?

The cycle of cluttering up canonicity begins anew:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One day, people will learn to reject Canon and just enjoy stories.

One day.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Blistex posted:

I'm really hoping they do something different with the next one. TFA was good, but the more I think about the story, the more I feel this was a reboot rather than a continuing story (100% expected that since this is JJ we're talking about, and all he knows how to do is rehash).

Personally I'm hoping we can get a little back-story on what happened after ROJ. Was it literally A Robot Chicken skit or what? The First order needed a super weapon to take out the Republic, as apparently they are a credible threat. . . just realized there is another ANH parallel there. Does the first order have a handful of ships? Are they still a massive force? Why is the rebellion called "the resistance"? Does the republic have a treaty with the first order?

basicaly the empire fought on for while under various leaders, a bunch of fleets tried to break the new republic at jakku and lost badly. so the main group signed a ceasefire/or peace treaty and the empire tore its self apart with Waring officers and moffs until snoke took over and did a rebrand.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"I love the name Snoke. We GOTTA have a Snoke in the movie. Oh gently caress, there was a Snoke in Return of the Jedi? gently caress! We need to use Snoke! Whatever, that Snoke was just some bullshit A-Wing pilot who died, and not even THE A-Wing pilot who died. We're still using Snoke."
- JJ Abrams, 2014

I am so thoroughly relieved that he didn't end up being a smoke snake.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey what if he IS the A wing pilot who died eh?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I can't find the youtube link, but I saw some spoiler based off the latest book release (TFA novelization, maybe?) that says Snoke has been alive since Ep I-III, confirmed through dialogue between him and Ren (in the book).

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Zeris posted:

I can't find the youtube link, but I saw some spoiler based off the latest book release (TFA novelization, maybe?) that says Snoke has been alive since Ep I-III, confirmed through dialogue between him and Ren (in the book).

Darth Plagueis confirmed

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Zeris posted:

Kulkasha posted:

Jar-Jar Binks confirmed

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do you think the words "midichlorians" or "Padme Amidala" will ever be uttered in episodes 8 or 9?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

How long of time is there between TPM and TFA?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
63 years or so I think.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whether its a joke or not Oscar Isaacs answer for my head canon confirms romance between Poe and Finn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAwgmz7jTc

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

computer parts posted:

Gary Kurtz is the only source of the "Actually, Lucas did nothing in ANH and his wife did all the work" conspiracy theory. It is most definitely sour grapes.

Unless I'm having a brain fart, I don't think Kurtz had much of anything to do with that?

Really, the whole thing with Kurtz is that he got kicked off Empire in the middle of filming for failing to control the budget, and for years afterward (maybe to salvage his reputation in the industry?) has gone around giving interviews framing every decision that was made after he left as Lucas selling out. I don't think he's outright making anything up (except for his insistence that he left voluntarily due to creative differences), but his view of the whole situation is certainly tainted by the circumstances of his departure.

I think the Marcia Lucas thing comes primarily from Michael Kaminski, of The Secret History of Star Wars fame. Basically, his entire argument boils down to, "Hey, George Lucas's ex-wife was one of the editors on Star Wars, and she did a really good job, and even gave George some helpful creative input. Why isn't she given as much credit as the actual director of the film, who also wrote the movie and, as far as any of the evidence shows, deserves just as much if not more credit for the final edit (not to mention the other two editors who worked on the film even longer than Marcia)? Clearly, this must be some sort of Lucasian conspiracy to conceal the truth!"

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

Unless I'm having a brain fart, I don't think Kurtz had much of anything to do with that?

Really, the whole thing with Kurtz is that he got kicked off Empire in the middle of filming for failing to control the budget, and for years afterward (maybe to salvage his reputation in the industry?) has gone around giving interviews framing every decision that was made after he left as Lucas selling out. I don't think he's outright making anything up (except for his insistence that he left voluntarily due to creative differences), but his view of the whole situation is certainly tainted by the circumstances of his departure.

I think the Marcia Lucas thing comes primarily from Michael Kaminski, of The Secret History of Star Wars fame. Basically, his entire argument boils down to, "Hey, George Lucas's ex-wife was one of the editors on Star Wars, and she did a really good job, and even gave George some helpful creative input. Why isn't she given as much credit as the actual director of the film, who also wrote the movie and, as far as any of the evidence shows, deserves just as much if not more credit for the final edit (not to mention the other two editors who worked on the film even longer than Marcia)? Clearly, this must be some sort of Lucasian conspiracy to conceal the truth!"

You always speak with such authority on the behind the scenes stuff with the OT. Where are you getting your information?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Cnut the Great is George Lucas.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Denied, no goon could be that handsome and talented.

Yeah he's an old fat man now but look up pictures of him on location filming the original.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I saw the movie, liked it, my only complaint is that I felt Rey and her use of Force Powers came a little too suddenly. Luke took the better part of two movies to use the force well, Rey got similar abilities in less than one, with no training. I did like how in her fight with Kylo Ren she tried to wield the lightsaber like it was still her staff-stick thingie, nice point of detail there.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I saw the movie, liked it, my only complaint is that I felt Rey and her use of Force Powers came a little too suddenly. Luke took the better part of two movies to use the force well, Rey got similar abilities in less than one, with no training. I did like how in her fight with Kylo Ren she tried to wield the lightsaber like it was still her staff-stick thingie, nice point of detail there.

*record skips again*

Here's how I see it:

- Luke manages to deflect two remote firing bolts while effectively blind and later makes a "one-in-a-million" shot that destroys the Death Star, winning the day and becoming the Hero.

- Rey tries multiple times before managing to mind trick one person and later uses the Force to pull a lightsaber towards her. She is heroic in that she stands up to Kylo Ren, but the efforts of the others (who are seemingly non-Force sensitive AFAWK) are responsible for destroying Starkiller Base, not Rey.

Learning a couple tricks isn't really a big deal, especially considering their context.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kylo was also pretty badly wounded. If he weren't, Rey would have lost, Force or no Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Zeris posted:

Kylo Ren, I watched the Galactic Empire rise, and then fall. The gullible prattle on about the triumph of truth and justice, of individualism and free will. As if such things were solid and real instead of simple subjective judgments. The historians have it all wrong. It was neither poor strategy nor arrogance that brought down the Empire. You know too well what did.

Ren nodded once. Sentiment.

Yes. Such a simple thing. Such a foolish error of judgment. A momentary lapse in an otherwise exemplary life. Had Lord Vader not succumbed to emotion at the crucial moment had the father killed the son the Empire would have prevailed. And there would be no threat of Skywalkers return today.

And from Aftermath:

Palpatine felt that the universe beyond the edges of our maps was where his power came from. Over the many years he, with our aid, sent men and women beyond known space. They built labs and communication stations on distant moons, asteroids, out there in the wilds. We must follow them. Retreat from the galaxy. Go out beyond the veil of stars. We must seek the source of the dark side like a man looking for a wellspring of water.

Those two quotes have me thinking he is definitely someone close to Palpatine that perhaps he entrusted with this task to "find the source of the Dark Side" and he did. Either that or he is what they found and has essentially been observing from a distance everything thats been happening since the prequels and now that theres a power vacuum, he has stepped in. Or hes Plagueis, which would be kind of eh and predictable unless they handled it well.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 31, 2015

• Locked thread