Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Trump's reiteration of the "If I don't win this has been a complete and total waste of time" today at his rally solidified my opinion that he is 100% behind this thing. He's more passionate about his campaign more than any other candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

What is "turn left" from?

former user Turn Left Dale! Nooo...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jewel Repetition posted:

What is "turn left" from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXGKys62TXw

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

former user Turn Left Dale! Nooo...

who stole it from former user deek who first used the phrase (e: I think)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It came from the title of the thread announcing Dale's death, by author Deek.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Zombie Chow posted:

I have a feeling Jeb! is doing all of these on purpose.

I almost want to believe that because how can anyone be so loving incompetent?!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
man remember when the bush running for president said stupid stuff like "is our children learning" that made you laugh, instead of stupid stuff that made you sigh heavily and shake your head

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

just bringing up hurricane katrina for no drat reason when your brother did katrina ten years ago is so funny

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
jeb, please go home. please jeb. your father is not well. please dont put your family through this. jeb, please.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Didn't Jeb's mom call this?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"How about State Senator Dave Lipinski, huh guys? He's great. His nickname's gonna be 'Read My Lips'inski!" ~ Jeb!, probably

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if they had just told him NO when the veto corleone thing got brought up maybe he would've learned his lesson about the loving puns

i wonder how much of this is flailing as a response to/symptom of the trump thing, and how much of it would've come out anyway. he's been doing this kind of poo poo for a while, was trump a big deal when jeb was calling supergirl hot?

i think in some ways the idea that trump has changed the game masks how deeply bad at the game jeb seems to be

and yeah he was governor of florida but can you imagine rick scott running for president?

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 31, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Governor of god's waiting room

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

There's no way Jeb! isn't taking a dive at this point. I mean, for fucks sake, how can any one person be this bad at politics? I'm pretty sure the homeless guy on the street corner preaching the apocalypse is a better politician than Jeb!.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Stretch Marx posted:

Writer: Well that all sounds good but what will be the big twist that will drawn in the grounds.

Director: This is going to sound insane, but... what if... W was the smart one?

He DID go to Yale, unlike Jeb.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i've heard that big bro was just lucky to put his app in before yale tightened up their legacy admissions criteria, whereas jeb was a little too young

all i can find taking 30 seconds with google is a whiny article from huffington post that doesnt actually answer my question or really any other question

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
The question of which Bush is the smarter one strikes me as about as significant as whether you'd prefer a glass of water from the Love Canal or one from the Chernobyl exclusion zone, but since it's come up I feel I should point out the only real difference is that while both started out as upper class twits, only W had the low animal cunning to then pretend to be a backcountry bumpkin which both masked his ineptitude and appealed to a large voting bloc within the party.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yeah if we're gonna play the comparison game, the biggest difference campaign wise is that GW was in the right place at the right time with the social skills to make the whole trick work

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think if jeb was still pudgy it would help. i feel like he'd look a little less loving silly. i dunno maybe i'm wrong

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I hope in my heart of hearts for Trump to win first in the Iowa, NH, and SC primaries, to prove that, just as polling stations in bars was done away with the new media of yellow journalist in the gilded age, field side is a relic of pre-social media campaigns.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
My wish for 2016 is that Trump wins the nomination, loses the general and then flies his stupid 757 straight into the freedom tower.

Inshallah

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

This is somehow one of the funniest pictures of him.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

rear end cobra posted:

My wish for 2016 is that Trump wins the nomination, loses the general and then flies his stupid 757 straight into the freedom tower.

Inshallah

I almost want Christie to win just so everyone can be wrong.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

TheTatteredKing posted:

But then Harry Enten would kind of be right and he would be more insufferable than Nate Silver.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

Doesn't Christie basically have to become the establishment guy at this point? Jeb is a hilarious non-starter, and it's clear to everyone that Rubio actively does not want to win.

Wall Is Life
Sep 29, 2015

#NoBanNoWall

oystertoadfish posted:

i think if jeb was still pudgy it would help. i feel like he'd look a little less loving silly. i dunno maybe i'm wrong

Definitely true. His awkward posture and lack of knowing how to rest his arms/shoulders properly probably wouldn't be issues if he hadn't lost the weight.

Although, I do think Jeb! could have overcome this in a Trumpless world, especially considering Romney had the demeanor of a robot and Mccain couldn't move his arms above a certain height. Trump's low energy attack really killed Jeb! in a way no normal politician would have and now all of these previously unnoticeable details about his demeanor are cast in a stronger, negative light.

Wall Is Life
Sep 29, 2015

#NoBanNoWall

Shakugan posted:

Doesn't Christie basically have to become the establishment guy at this point? Jeb is a hilarious non-starter, and it's clear to everyone that Rubio actively does not want to win.

Christie doesn't have any field operation outside of New Hampshire and is too lacking in fundraising to be the establishment guy. He's pretty much hoping everything will flood to him after a New Hampshire win/strong showing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wall Is Life posted:

Trump's low energy attack really killed Jeb! in a way no normal politician would have and now all of these previously unnoticeable details about his demeanor are cast in a stronger, negative light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xjwvPq-lDM

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Wall Is Life posted:

Christie doesn't have any field operation outside of New Hampshire and is too lacking in fundraising to be the establishment guy. He's pretty much hoping everything will flood to him after a New Hampshire win/strong showing.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Someone had a great Foundation/the Mule reference about Trump that I forgot to empty quote, it's lost to the sands of this thread now :smith:

Forums poster Salvor_Hardin (that username/post combo :allears:)

quote:

Reince waiting cautiously for the rest to follow into the chamber. With Trump still polling above 30% as the year was closing out there was only one possible conclusion: a Seldon Crisis was upon them. Paul Ryan, dithering nervously, brought up the rear behind McConnell, Adelson, and both Koch brothers. As they filed into the auditorium and found seats the lights flashed on and a mist descended from the stage. Silently, a flickering hologram of an old man in a wheel chair became visible through the haze. He brushed his white wisps of hair aside and greeted the assemblage:

“Gentlemen, I cannot see you or even be sure that you are there. But assuming you are you must already be aware, a crisis looms. You have been steadfast in following the plan laid out by me and my colleagues and are now looking for deliverance yet again.”

Reince exhaled in relief. All was not lost, the GOP could yet be saved. No one knew how the ancient psychohistorian was able to portent the political landscape centuries in advance but the course he charted had always worked out in the end. There was a way to stump Trump after all. Reince put on his most self-assured smile. The situation was in control. He was in control.

“The earth is warming. Ocean levels are rising. The democrats have seized on this new undeniable reality and are pressing it to their political advantage both domestically and internationally. This was, of course, predicted and …”

All eyes were staring at Priebus. But this was impossible! Seldon was never wrong. But as he listened to the rest of the dead monologue the name of Trump was never uttered and no answers were given.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

swampland posted:

"I have the best words!" is such an awesomely bizarre and trump boast to make.

It's essentially the Hemingway rebuke of Faulkner, if it were said by a drooling idiot.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

oystertoadfish posted:

i think in some ways the idea that trump has changed the game masks how deeply bad at the game jeb seems to be

I suspect that Jeb's eventual collapse (as well as the exposure of Scott Walker as a total lightweight) would've happened in a Trumpless world, although not in the same way.

Marco Rubio is Jeb's protege, he studied at Jeb's feet. Rubio knows Jeb's strengths and weaknesses better than anyone in this thread, saw Jeb was running with more money than God, and thought, "I can take him" and ran for President. Think about that. That was months pre-Trump. Rubio's decision to run for president against Jeb is probably the biggest warning sign against Jeb there could possibly be.

Now, without Trump, much like we wouldn't have gotten Scott Walker trying to one-up him by wanting a wall on the Mexican AND Canadian border (still one of my favorite moments), we wouldn't have gotten Jeb reduced to a pathetic gibbering baby. That said, I think Jeb's utter lack of political skill would have eventually shown through.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Patter Song posted:

I suspect that Jeb's eventual collapse (as well as the exposure of Scott Walker as a total lightweight) would've happened in a Trumpless world, although not in the same way.

Marco Rubio is Jeb's protege, he studied at Jeb's feet. Rubio knows Jeb's strengths and weaknesses better than anyone in this thread, saw Jeb was running with more money than God, and thought, "I can take him" and ran for President. Think about that. That was months pre-Trump. Rubio's decision to run for president against Jeb is probably the biggest warning sign against Jeb there could possibly be.

Now, without Trump, much like we wouldn't have gotten Scott Walker trying to one-up him by wanting a wall on the Mexican AND Canadian border (still one of my favorite moments), we wouldn't have gotten Jeb reduced to a pathetic gibbering baby. That said, I think Jeb's utter lack of political skill would have eventually shown through.

I'm not so sure, I think in a Trump-less race, Jeb! would be the clear establishment candidate while Cruz would be the grassroots frontrunner that everyone was trying to stump.

Fortunately for Jeb!, Cruz' face is able to stump itself.

Jeb! doesn't know how to handle a bully because, with all the power and priviledge he's been engrossed in throughout his life, he's always been the bully whenever he wanted to be. Now a bigger, richer bully is in the race, and Jeb!'s lost his edge.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

"How about State Senator Dave Lipinski, huh guys? He's great. His nickname's gonna be 'Read My Lips'inski!" ~ Jeb!, probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_3H0K-zwc8

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013

Shakugan posted:

It's hard to judge Rubio. There are points (usually after debates) where I feel like he has got to be the nominee, especially when he goes in hard on Bush. Then there's times where I hear nothing about him and it feels like he's just getting fuel for his memoirs or a run for the governorship.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So, CRUZ raised 20 million?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zombie Chow posted:

I have a feeling Jeb! is doing all of these on purpose.

You're suggesting Jeb! is the true chaos candidate?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

please, better men than trump have tried to still the bill.

It's "Can't kill the Bill", surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

So, CRUZ raised 20 million?

Apparently Carson managed to raise 23 million while on a downslope; I'm not even sure what money means here anymore.

• Locked thread