Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The only tone acceptable other than deep swamp mud thumpin' is mid pushed oh gently caress my amp is dying grind. Fair move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

If there was room for three tones, mid-scooped Rickenbacker has its uses.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Steel roundwound, bright as gently caress, turn up those mids and let the distortion set you free

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Clank all day every day.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm actually trying that Alex Webster clacky attack and it sounds like garbage. Please distill 20 years of death metal bass technique into one or two sentences of advice.

fake edit: "Git Gud. HAIL SATAN."

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

I'm actually trying that Alex Webster clacky attack and it sounds like garbage. Please distill 20 years of death metal bass technique into one or two sentences of advice.

fake edit: "Git Gud. HAIL SATAN."

I only know the method of getting the clank: pluck down and forcefully so the strings hit some frets but not the pickup. Also compression.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I get to record a couple tunes this weekend. Clank for days, khed.

Also having that "am I good enough to play this properly" worry.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Current shopping list:

Ibanez GSR200
Fender Rumble 25 v3 Bass Combo Amp
Hal Leonard Bass Method

The guitar and amp are the same prices at Guitar Center and Sam Ash, so depending on what's in stock I'll try and fight them against each other, but even at list prices 300bux isn't too bad for a starter set of gear.

Lemmy's final lesson: get poo poo done while you're still here :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5qym7ER274

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I got a GSRM25 which is a lil baby bass and also rad.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Theoretically if one were to get a 5-string to play retarded death metal covers, would one want active or passive pickups (I assume active), humbucker or jazz (I assume humbucker) and will there ever be a reason to play on the neck pickup (i.e. would a bridge-only bass work) ? Bear in mind I already have a CV 60's P-Bass with flats for sensible music.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

Theoretically if one were to get a 5-string to play retarded death metal covers, would one want active or passive pickups (I assume active), humbucker or jazz (I assume humbucker) and will there ever be a reason to play on the neck pickup (i.e. would a bridge-only bass work) ? Bear in mind I already have a CV 60's P-Bass with flats for sensible music.

Active if you want the extra eq control and are going for more modern. Passive if you want that extra dynamic punch you get from passives. Good for 90s death metal. I like passives in 99.999% situations but actives can honestly kick rear end for death metal. Sometimes you need that little bit of something extra.

HBs vs Jazz could go either way but you'll probably want to favor HBs. If you're going for a higher in the mix clanky metallic tone though the jazz would totally work in it's own way.

With most death metal you'll need the bridge only since cutting through will be tough otherwise. If you're going slower, somewhere in between Sabbath and Obituary neck pickup tones are pretty good for the genre. Very full, plodding, menacing. It's going to let you down when you pick up speed though.

Hope that helps. A while back when I had my Bongo 5 I had a period of finding a good death metal tone with it vs my jazz so while I've never tried it in a full band mix that's my experience accompanying myself on guitar. Also death metal on bass is so much fun. If you're interested, Alex Webster wrote an awesome 5 string bass book on extreme metal and it's full of great lessons.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ seems passive humbucker is a good choice. I was thinking of Alex Webster when I was typing the above tongue-in-cheek posts and gear questions. Great minds think alike.

Southern Heel posted:

For the same reason I picked up a head and cab for my guitar (even though I've yet to gig) is the same reason I think I'd want to bring along SOMETHING to make noise with - surely as a newbie to it all you can't just assume everywhere you go will have a backline or PA?

God I have something of a horror story: my stepfather was into bass as a kid and so boought a Jedson SG copy back in the 70's and a WEM 15" Bass Dominator: pretty respectable for a bluesy jazzer. Unfortunately, he got back into it and got talked into buying another bass before he spoke to me - he's into jazz and folk and what did he buy?

A US-built Dean Z with EMGs, brand new from a local shop at 125% RRP. And a Roland Bass Cube practise amp. And he turns off the mid and treble on said amp. And he has never changed the strings. And the action is about 1/2" at the 12th fret. Now he wants me to sell it for him so he can get something more appropriate for him, but I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall when I say 'you should change your strings every six months or so' and he says 'oh yes but I'm not a session musician', or 'The EQ is already in the bass octave so you ideally want some of the mid/highs because it's relative' and he says 'I don't like the scraping sound my fingers make on the strings'.

It just doesn't make any sense and hurts my brain.

Self quoting because he didn't even have a battery in the guitar to power the preamp. He paid over $1100 equivalent for a korean built dean with EMG HZs -- my mind cannot be blown anymore.

Anyway, playing the thing was interesting: the pokey active pickups and roundwounds are ALOT brighter and more responsive than my flats, even though he has never changed strings. Overall though, it sounded very flat - exactly as describe w/r to punchiness of passives. Due to the slung forward shape it's a full 6" taller than my P-Bass and everything was a pain in the arse to reach. 2/5 would not recommend.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
why should he change the strings every 6 months if he's playing at home, for fun, on a roland practise amp

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dyna Soar posted:

why should he change the strings every 6 months if he's playing at home, for fun, on a roland practise amp

If he decides he wants to.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Shugojin posted:

If he decides he wants to.

so he should change them only if he decides he wants to?

no poo poo, squirt

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

It's almost as though you deliberately skirted over every part of my text other than the strings bit. Maybe I'm just a traditionalist but when a string smells of vinegar and rancid oil, is dull as gently caress on a bass setup entirely geared for brightness - it is cause to be taken a little aback when it doesn't happen.

OTOH I have the bass in my possession for the next few months while we try to sell it on ebay for five hundred smackers so it can be my retard-metal bass until then :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dyna Soar posted:

so he should change them only if he decides he wants to?

no poo poo, squirt

Also I skipped something, I thought it was advice for somebody in the thread. OOPS

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

It's almost as though you deliberately skirted over every part of my text other than the strings bit. Maybe I'm just a traditionalist but when a string smells of vinegar and rancid oil, is dull as gently caress on a bass setup entirely geared for brightness - it is cause to be taken a little aback when it doesn't happen.

otherwise it was good advice but that one would just be a huge waste of money. honestly it's gonna sound like poo poo on a tiny roland practise amp anyway, so changing strings every 6 months is way overkill.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i almost never change my bass strings and they still sound dope (rotosound swing bass 66 if yr curious, although i've got some other ones i don't remember what kind in my bag in case i break a string)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Um fresh rounds through my Roland practice amp sounds way better :colbert:

Seriously every amp simulator sounds completely different and the whole instrument is full of life. It's not like I do change strings that often but it's real nice when I do

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dyna Soar posted:

otherwise it was good advice but that one would just be a huge waste of money. honestly it's gonna sound like poo poo on a tiny roland practise amp anyway, so changing strings every 6 months is way overkill.

Fresh strings feel better. That's not really a decent measuring standard but you get the idea.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I dunno. My couple years old Dadarrio rounds on my Squier VM pbass feel and sound pretty awesome. The gunk just adds to the funk

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Poured a 40 and played some bass to the Specials, rip John Bradbury, genius drummer.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Week three or so with my bass. AC/DC has been great to play along with. It's super easy (I think "Thunderstruck" has only three notes), so I can have fun playing something simple while concentrating on proper plucking, hand position, etc.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Week three or so with my bass. AC/DC has been great to play along with. It's super easy (I think "Thunderstruck" has only three notes), so I can have fun playing something simple while concentrating on proper plucking, hand position, etc.

Starting simply is a good way to go.

Because of my background, I was reading music before I ever picked up a bass, so when I decided to learn how to play, I got some transcriptions and went to it. When I'd learned how to play Hangar 18 and no other guitarists my age could even kind-of play it, I realized that maybe I should stick closer to old Sabbath tunes 'n poo poo before I went for the harder stuff. I had a much better time as a result.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
I take back the mean things I said about Rickenbacker. Checked out one of the 4003W's in person. Solid build, oil finish so no worries about peeling... little more than I wanted to spend but the thing sounded, looked, and felt great. Very light, don't have access to a reliable scale but it's easily the lightest bass I've ever picked up that wasn't a G&L with an empress body. Awesome neck, normally pearloid inlays on maple irritates me, but it's well done here. Maybe it's the triangles. Whatever the case this thing is awesome. I love everything about it. Now to rip off the chromed plastic pickup cover and cry about my boo-boos on my delicate forearm.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Jonithen posted:

I take back the mean things I said about Rickenbacker. Checked out one of the 4003W's in person. Solid build, oil finish so no worries about peeling... little more than I wanted to spend but the thing sounded, looked, and felt great. Very light, don't have access to a reliable scale but it's easily the lightest bass I've ever picked up that wasn't a G&L with an empress body. Awesome neck, normally pearloid inlays on maple irritates me, but it's well done here. Maybe it's the triangles. Whatever the case this thing is awesome. I love everything about it. Now to rip off the chromed plastic pickup cover and cry about my boo-boos on my delicate forearm.

I've played a few Ricks with and without the cover and I've never managed to injure myself so how exactly are you going to injure your forearm? You're not playing with your forearm somehow are you?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I'm guessing its because the binding on the body. I've injured myself quite a few times on mine.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My wife got me the Hofner! I got the ignition model instead of the contemporary. Once the music shops start to reopen I'll have it professionally set up and put LaBellas flatwounds on it.

Which leads me here:

Every guitar player worth his salt knows how to do barre and open chords. We know how to do blues shuffles and pentatonic scales up the fretboard.

What's the bass player equivalent? I would love for someone to name a key and for me to hit all the right "notes."

Are there "patterns" to know for bass?

I am Country/classic rock/blues oriented

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

DrChu posted:

I'm guessing its because the binding on the body. I've injured myself quite a few times on mine.

Makes sense I suppose, I've never had it happen so I didn't think that was a thing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Which leads me here:

Every guitar player worth his salt knows how to do barre and open chords. We know how to do blues shuffles and pentatonic scales up the fretboard.

What's the bass player equivalent? I would love for someone to name a key and for me to hit all the right "notes."

Are there "patterns" to know for bass?

I am Country/classic rock/blues oriented

Bassplayers think in chords too, they just don't play all of the chord at the same time, just the important bits, and often invert them for effect.

The common "pattern" for country/blues is root and 5th, with a nod to the flattened 7th and depending on the form, passing by the 2nd and 3rd. It's all down to the feel and rhythm after that. There are usually exceptions to the rule, but that'll do you for a lot of tunes.

Can I also recommend you Bass Grooves by Ed Friedland who does an astonishing job of explaining many bass idioms and it includes a handy CD to practice with. Get a drum machine to help!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Current shopping list:

Ibanez GSR200
Fender Rumble 25 v3 Bass Combo Amp
Hal Leonard Bass Method

/!\ A Wild Used-Gear Flyer Appears /!\

So on my way out of my studio space I see this note tacked up on the board:
code:
NICE FERNANDEZ TREMOR BASS. 4 STRING SINGLE HUMBUCKER. NICE SOUNDING & PLAYING BASS. $200 OBO.
The cost is the same as a new GSR, and a cursory Googling shows Fernandez generally costing more than the 200s, seems like they start around 350 or so. Assuming it is indeed 'nice' would this be a decent instrument to try for over a new Ibanez for a just-getting-started bass?

p.s. what's a single humbucker are those good :downs:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
looks p. ugly to me, hah. then again i'm a P-bass guy through and through.

go try one, see how it fits in your hand. if it's in good shape then that would a good deal.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Got it anyway :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alex-Webster-Extreme-Metal-Bass/dp/1423497155

Takes No Damage posted:

/!\ A Wild Used-Gear Flyer Appears /!\

So on my way out of my studio space I see this note tacked up on the board:
code:
NICE FERNANDEZ TREMOR BASS. 4 STRING SINGLE HUMBUCKER. NICE SOUNDING & PLAYING BASS. $200 OBO.
The cost is the same as a new GSR, and a cursory Googling shows Fernandez generally costing more than the 200s, seems like they start around 350 or so. Assuming it is indeed 'nice' would this be a decent instrument to try for over a new Ibanez for a just-getting-started bass?

p.s. what's a single humbucker are those good :downs:

See if you can stretch to an SR300 instead of the GSR and the 100w Rumble instead of the 25w? Of course do as you will since I imagine you've probably got your heart set on those choices for some reason, but these little incremental upgrades will at least get you a rig you could potentially gig with (at least in volume) a decent quality instrument for a good while instead of needing an almost immediate upgrade if you decide to jam with a drummer or play a pub gig. Having said that, you did say 'studio' so maybe you've already got all this...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

Got it anyway :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alex-Webster-Extreme-Metal-Bass/dp/1423497155

See if you can stretch to an SR300 instead of the GSR and the 100w Rumble instead of the 25w? Of course do as you will since I imagine you've probably got your heart set on those choices for some reason, but these little incremental upgrades will at least get you a rig you could potentially gig with (at least in volume) a decent quality instrument for a good while instead of needing an almost immediate upgrade if you decide to jam with a drummer or play a pub gig. Having said that, you did say 'studio' so maybe you've already got all this...

Well by studio I mean a room I can set my acoustic drums up in and not worry about the noise, they rent practice space not recording space. I'm hesitant to upgrade my choices because I'm just buying gear to learn on, I can't even imagine a timeframe where I would need better stuff for 'gigs' or even playing with other people. Much like my drumming I expect to spend most of my time alone in a room playing with myself :downsrim:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm sure they'll be absolutely fine either way, I've personally found that getting one level up from absolute-bare-bones makes a big difference in most products though!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Well by studio I mean a room I can set my acoustic drums up in and not worry about the noise, they rent practice space not recording space. I'm hesitant to upgrade my choices because I'm just buying gear to learn on, I can't even imagine a timeframe where I would need better stuff for 'gigs' or even playing with other people. Much like my drumming I expect to spend most of my time alone in a room playing with myself :downsrim:

If you spend a bit more your gear will have a lot better resale value. Better to buy a $500-$600 dollar bass since you'll get most of it back if you decide it's not for you.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Another four string bass is the last thing I need but for $50 I couldn't pass up this weekend project:

Kramer Focus 8000. Neck has some bow that hopefully can be adjusted out, however to get to truss rod the neck must be removed so its a slow process. Spent almost an hour removing old sticker and tape residue and general clean up. Bridge pickup is disconnected so will need to resolder that next. If the neck straightens out I'll order some new knobs and find a nut/washer for the one switch.

The split pickup sounds pretty good though, and if the neck is actually hosed I should be able to part out the bridge and electronics and come out even.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DrChu posted:

Another four string bass is the last thing I need but for $50 I couldn't pass up this weekend project:

Kramer Focus 8000. Neck has some bow that hopefully can be adjusted out, however to get to truss rod the neck must be removed so its a slow process. Spent almost an hour removing old sticker and tape residue and general clean up. Bridge pickup is disconnected so will need to resolder that next. If the neck straightens out I'll order some new knobs and find a nut/washer for the one switch.

The split pickup sounds pretty good though, and if the neck is actually hosed I should be able to part out the bridge and electronics and come out even.

i really have no need for another bass but the corny metalhead in me always wants to pick up a cheap goofy something like this whenever i see it. there was a Dean Metalman at my local shop for a while that i wanted to bite the bullet on so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Captain Apollo posted:

I made a little web app that kind of helps with this. The diagram is for a guitar, but you can just look at the bottom 4 strings. You pick a key, and you can see all the notes in that key, then use your number keys to show just the notes in a given chord from that key.

It only covers basic triads, but once you know a bit of chord construction it's not difficult to know what notes to add to make a more exotic chord.