Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Palpatine killed Plagueis. That's how Sith rise to power: by killing their masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Snoke is Admiral Piett, who miraculously survived the destruction of the Executor's bridge at Endor, but at the cost of some nasty head scars.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

enraged_camel posted:

Palpatine killed Plagueis. That's how Sith rise to power: by killing their masters.

Which is why I said it would be dumb. The only way to do this would be to retcon his death as either a lie or he gets revived somehow.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Didn't read the whole thread, but I figured out the explanation for Threepio's arm... in the interim between films he started a private military company called the Diamond Droids, clearly. :shepface:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Fuzz posted:

Didn't read the whole thread, but I figured out the explanation for Threepio's arm... in the interim between films he started a private military company called the Diamond Droids, clearly. :shepface:

Threepio knows words that kill in thousands of languages.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So, according to google, Snoke is Norwegian for "snoop." This would be an obvious way to parallel Vader meaning "father."

Snoke = Snoop Dogg?

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

Which is why I said it would be dumb. The only way to do this would be to retcon his death as either a lie or he gets revived somehow.

Plagueis was specifically called out as having power over life and death. Snoke has scars from what look like fatal wounds (especially the head divot).

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

greatn posted:

I'm kind of hoping they elaborate or at least acknowledge C3P0's relationship to Like and Leia: their brother. He shares the same father and that's interesting.

One of Lucas's worst shoe horns in a movie full of them.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

And from Aftermath:

“Palpatine felt that the universe beyond the edges of our maps was where his power came from. Over the many years he, with our aid, sent men and women beyond known space. They built labs and communication stations on distant moons, asteroids, out there in the wilds. We must follow them. Retreat from the galaxy. Go out beyond the veil of stars. We must seek the source of the dark side like a man looking for a wellspring of water.”

So basically this new trilogy is a spiritual sequel to KOTOR2

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

davecrazy posted:

One of Lucas's worst shoe horns in a movie full of them.

Surely, a scene like this could've only improved ESB. Weird that Lucas didn't cram it in there for the very beloved Bluray editions

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

TheMaestroso posted:

*record skips again*

Here's how I see it:

- Luke manages to deflect two remote firing bolts while effectively blind and later makes a "one-in-a-million" shot that destroys the Death Star, winning the day and becoming the Hero.

- Rey tries multiple times before managing to mind trick one person and later uses the Force to pull a lightsaber towards her. She is heroic in that she stands up to Kylo Ren, but the efforts of the others (who are seemingly non-Force sensitive AFAWK) are responsible for destroying Starkiller Base, not Rey.

Learning a couple tricks isn't really a big deal, especially considering their context.

I'm starting to think Rey was partially trained then Jedi mindwiped to protect her. Kylo getting in her brain near Mas' bar unlocked something within her.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I really hope that Rey is nothing more than some unwanted orphan who by sheer luck (or divine will) is blessed with Force sensitivity. There's a wonderful charm to that. Not everyone in the Star Wars universe should be connected.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Krowley posted:

i'm okay with this

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Anyway, I can't wait for the movie where Poe will use BB-8 to seduce Hux with its sexuality.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Popcornicus posted:

Plagueis was specifically called out as having power over life and death. Snoke has scars from what look like fatal wounds (especially the head divot).

It's funny that so many fans vilify the PT and want them to be forgotten, yet so desperately want Snoke to be Darth Plagueis. I'm not convinced Plagueis was real because that story Palpatine told Anakin was perfectly tailored to turn him to the dark side. Considering the Plagueis novel isn't canon anymore and Palpatine doesn't explicitly state Plagueis was his mentor (has Disney confirmed this?), I feel like Snoke isn't a callback to a very obscure PT reference.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I saw it yesterday, and feel it managed to be a strong additional to the series. My criticisms of it seem to echo comments already made here; I too found it failed to explain geopolitics such that I was unmoved by them blowing up the planets. And I felt it did a really poor job of giving the impression of the enormity of space or the passing of time.

There was the bit when Rey was first talking to BB-8 where the performance/delivery seemed a bit off but otherwise I felt all the performances and dialogue hit the right notes. Finn's transformation from brainwashed trooper was maybe a bit to conveniently rapid (Aeryn Sun's arch done in an afternoon) but not something I'll pick at.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 31, 2015

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Shoren posted:

It's funny that so many fans vilify the PT and want them to be forgotten, yet so desperately want Snoke to be Darth Plagueis. I'm not convinced Plagueis was real because that story Palpatine told Anakin was perfectly tailored to turn him to the dark side. Considering the Plagueis novel isn't canon anymore and Palpatine doesn't explicitly state Plagueis was his mentor (has Disney confirmed this?), I feel like Snoke isn't a callback to a very obscure PT reference.

Yeah it's kinda dumb and they're definitely not gonna bring in this guy who was barely mentioned once in a movie trilogy most people feel content on ignoring, and feature him as the main baddie

I guess it might tickle your brain if you're the kinda EU-loving guy who actually knows what The Emperor's first name is, but for me that theory is a solid 'meeeh'

Now let's discuss whether Kreia will show up as a force ghost, and for whom

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Krowley posted:

Surely, a scene like this could've only improved ESB. Weird that Lucas didn't cram it in there for the very beloved Bluray editions

God the prequels were awful. Of course it would of made too much sense to make C3PO the protocol droid of some low ranking functionary in the employee of Bail Organa and R2D2 as the astromech of one of his best pilots (who did they said owned them in ANH? Captain Antilles?) and via whatever circumstances they wind up in the direct orbit of the people who ultimately lead the rebel alliance (and therefore near/around Princess Leia).

But nope, got to make one literary built by Darth loving Vader and the other one a repair man on Luke Skywalkers mothers space plane.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 31, 2015

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Krowley posted:

Yeah it's kinda dumb and they're definitely not gonna bring in this guy who was barely mentioned once in a movie trilogy most people feel content on ignoring, and feature him as the main baddie

I guess it might tickle your brain if you're the kinda EU-loving guy who actually knows what The Emperor's first name is, but for me that theory is a solid 'meeeh'

Now let's discuss whether Kreia will show up as a force ghost, and for whom

It's as "dumb" as introducing yet another big bad who lingered in the shadows all this time and noone knew about. The good thing about Plagueis isn't his connection to the PT and it also isn't important that everything is connected but his character makes at least more sense than a totally "new" one. They could of course call him something else and have a similar backstory but then I wonder for what purpose? It's not like there is anything to lose if you do make him Plagueis so the question kinda becomes why shouldn't he be? That he is only mentioned once in the PT (one mention of the Clone Wars in the OT was enough for them in the PT ;)) is actually an advantage, he would still be a "surprise" for most of the audience and doesn't bring a lot of backstory baggage with him (except the whole create life thing which could be used in an interesting way).
I mean I'm usually also not a fan of such stuff but in this case I'd really prefer it to Snoke just being another dark side user who was on vacation while everything in the OT and PT went down, it would feel kind of forced if he came out of nowhere.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 31, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

How long of time is there between TPM and TFA?

66 years. TPM is set 32 years before ANH, TFA is 34 years after it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Krowley posted:

They have free reign to pick and choose whatever they want from Legends EU and craft a new EU from its better parts so Im guessing were going to see a lot of familiar elements throughout the new series.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Krowley posted:

Kreia was the best, so I'm fine with this.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The MSJ posted:

Anyway, I can't wait for the movie where Poe will use BB-8 to seduce Hux with its sexuality.

Please tell me you made this. :allears:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kurzon posted:

I really hope that Rey is nothing more than some unwanted orphan who by sheer luck (or divine will) is blessed with Force sensitivity. There's a wonderful charm to that. Not everyone in the Star Wars universe should be connected.

I hope so too. I hope it was something as simple and benign as Ben dumping her on Jakku because when he first turned he was just too chickenshit to kill a kid or youngling

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Never forget

http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Futurama-Season-06/Episode-006-Lethal-Inspection?id=1424

(0:55 for the best Futurama sith names)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TheMaestroso posted:

*record skips again*

Here's how I see it:

- Luke manages to deflect two remote firing bolts while effectively blind and later makes a "one-in-a-million" shot that destroys the Death Star, winning the day and becoming the Hero.

- Rey tries multiple times before managing to mind trick one person and later uses the Force to pull a lightsaber towards her. She is heroic in that she stands up to Kylo Ren, but the efforts of the others (who are seemingly non-Force sensitive AFAWK) are responsible for destroying Starkiller Base, not Rey.

Learning a couple tricks isn't really a big deal, especially considering their context.

Luke was also living the pastoral moisture farmer life with close family support, whereas Rey is literally fighting to survive. There's also the part where Luke uses his force powers exclusively to kill womp rats, while Rey is probably using it every day in some form to put portions on the table.

This reminds me of how people bitched about Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. It was a terrible movie, but Indy surviving a nuclear explosion in a lead-lined fridge is no more ridiculous than him jumping out of an airplane in an inflatable raft and then skiing down a mountainside in that same raft.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Please tell me you made this. :allears:

No, found it in PYF. It's inevitable someone will make one.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

TheMaestroso posted:

*record skips again*

Here's how I see it:

You're forgetting overpowering a trained Jedi/Sith in mental arm-wrestling and seeing into the past. The former is especially important because Luke was presented as pretty much impotent compared to Vader in ANH.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

team overhead smash posted:

You're forgetting overpowering a trained Jedi/Sith in mental arm-wrestling and seeing into the past. The former is especially important because Luke was presented as pretty much impotent compared to Vader in ANH.

Ren is half trained at best and not really comparable to Vader, aka Force Jesus, in that sense. Kylo Ren strikes me as the type of character who knows enough to be dangerous to himself included.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Correct, Kylo is falling apart during the entire last battle plus he's bleeding out of his guts the whole time and has no idea what to do about that compared to how Vader gets wailed on by his own super powerful son, gets his hand cut off, and is basically discarded while the Emperor starts to kill his son. But he still manages to turn back from the dark side, pick up the Emperor while being electrocuted, and then body slam him down the massive pit of death the Emperor keeps in his throne room in like ten seconds flat. Vader is basically unflappable while Ren is unstable even when things are going his way. I like him so much as a villain because of that, I like how his mask is shown as super heavy too, and how he feels barely "contained" in the scenes where he's wearing it.

Until he realizes they're related in the next movies. Rey is suddenly much more powerful after her and Kylo's minds are briefly interacting, hmmm....

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 31, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

He's not trained(completely) Snoke literally says "We have to complete his training."

Ren hadn't tried to mind gently caress anyone with any great willpower or Force sensitivity up until that point.

He had essentially been putting holes in Drywall up until he tried punching the brick wall that is Rey's mind.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Luke:"Your name is Rey, Rey Palpatine"

But in seriousness my nephew thinks their might be something to Rey's accent,as British=evil in star wars. though there was Obi and Mon Motha(not sure on her). Or maybe,just maybe we are finally moving beyond your race defined by the first character of your species that appears on screen or in the books.

Also a podcast I listened to read the new canon books and apparently it said that Poe's parents were given a force sensitive tree and planted it in their backyard. I'm afraid this is a setup for all three new cast members becoming Jedi or at least force sensitive and hence the name of the film.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 31, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rey Tarkin.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Rey Tarkin.

Rey Ozzel

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rey Porkins

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rey Snootles

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rey Calrissian-Jade

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I have been thinking of ways I would rewrite the script to this movie.

-When Finn lands on Jakku, he uses a navigational aid from his stormtrooper belt to find the town.

-When Han recovers the Millenium Falcon, he says that his ship's transponder broadcasted its location, which is why he found it so quickly.

-Maz gives Rey some basic pointers in the Force. Obi-Wan taught Luke for a few hours in ANH, so this is enough to make Rey's abilities plausible.

-Starkiller Base is less outrageous. Instead of carving that colossal canyon, the base is more like a skin, carved into the crust of the planet.

-The destruction of the Republic by Starkiller is not visible from Takodana. Instead, they learn of it through the Force or through communications.

-When Kylo kills Han, he doesn't whine about his emotional problems. Instead, he points out that he is responsible for too many deaths and the galaxy will never forgive him. He's in too deep to go back.

-When R2 and BB8 combine their parts of the map, BB8's piece is much smaller. At least ten times smaller.

-Leia accompanies Rey to visit Luke.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
That sounds worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
George Lucas account spotted.

• Locked thread