Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The waifus were subpar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For the longest time, Knack was the highest current-gen console game seller in Japan because it came with the PS4.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I will support #FE when it comes to America next year

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I will support Knack

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

You can support both, both only one can get to S rank.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

drat it only sold 23k copies... guess #FE is a bad game now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

So is Not-Valkyrie Profile.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I was looking around the Roguelike thread and this got brought up: http://demon.ferretdev.org/

A goon has described it as Shin Megami Tensei: The Rogue-like. From the one run I've played of it, you control a summoner who can befriend the demons/monsters inhabiting the dungeon. Each monster has a specific recruitment requirement, one of which is straight up SMT style negotiation.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TurnipFritter posted:

The waifus were subpar.

You can't even romance any of them apparently, how'd they miss that?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Um, what? Japan does most of their gaming on consoles. It's PC gaming that's barely a thing.

Edit: Or did you forget that two of the three big consoles are made by Japanese companies?

No they don't, they do it mostly on handhelds and phones now.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Hey guys

AIDS

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

enough about your posting

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

You can't even romance any of them apparently, how'd they miss that?

That makes sense because idols aren't supposed to have boyfriends.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

enough about your posting

drat son

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Please no doom and gloom about the new #FE game and the "waifu crowd" thanks

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

That makes sense because idols aren't supposed to have boyfriends.

elonora's an actress though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

#FreeTheIdols

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
BARRY GOODMAN and the older lady are just side characters. No wonder this game is not selling as much.

But to be honest, it's probably due to the pandering art style and theme that pushes away most fire emblem fans, and how the persona fans love the social links.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
If I can't date everyone in my party and then get them married to produce strong children for my war what is EVEN THE POINT?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I still don't get "poo poo character designs." Costumes, maybe, but the actual characters are good.

Costumes are part of the character design. (Honestly without it the designs are just kinda generic anime for the most part, but the costumes are pretty bad.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 31, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
IIRC, the producer of #FE is the same as Devil Survivor. He has garbage taste in character design. Apart from the watercolor polychromatic effect this new artist used for the concept art, the designs are generic as hell. At least they don't all have dark circles under their eyes and antigravity boobs this time.

Looking at gameplay, a lot of the character animation is pretty awkward and there is some bad timing in dialogue/action transitions. I don't envy the voice actors who are gonna have to deal with the labored, disjointed line readings. The battles look good, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the character designs are cool

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I juts finished a mission that reminds me why I never finished the original DS.

loving awful mission where Mari has to deal the final blow to a powerful physical enemy that attacks twice and heals from it, I can't kill the enemy, and have to pray Mari and Kaido live long enough while ALSO preventing the enemy from escaping.

Literally reset like 6 times and it was beaten because RNG allowed Mari to critical her attack.

gently caress DS1.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

#FE was also released at a really stupid time of the year. It's a niche game on the system with the smallest install base which doesn't really play anything like Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensei and as such alienates fans of either franchise, released the day after Christmas where nobody has any goddamn money anyway because they spent it all for Christmas.

The piss-poor sales don't surprise me.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Meowjesty posted:

If I can't date everyone in my party and then get them married to produce strong children for my war what is EVEN THE POINT?

Yeah, fundamentally "Anime Eugenics Simulator" is the through-line between SMT and (modern) Fire Emblem.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is what the #FE team gets for thinking glasses and boobs don't mix.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tae posted:

loving awful mission where Mari has to deal the final blow to a powerful physical enemy that attacks twice and heals from it, I can't kill the enemy, and have to pray Mari and Kaido live long enough while ALSO preventing the enemy from escaping.

Literally reset like 6 times and it was beaten because RNG allowed Mari to critical her attack.

gently caress DS1.

Honestly, the best way to deal with that fight is to just bring along someone with Petra Eyes and hope the petrification effect lands and then Mari gets an instakill. It's still stupid but at least that way it's manageably stupid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game was out for two days when this was reported (and famitsu only displays sales up to the 27th right now), on top of coming out the day after christmas, on a console with a comparatively small userbase.

give it a few weeks, we'll have a better idea of how it's doing then. with the poorly timed release it's going to take a little while for sales to pick up (if they do). looking at the famitsu chart, it was at rank #13 there, which isn't too bad considering all of the above factors.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

selling poorly means that people will be more inclined to look back on it fondly, actually

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Radish posted:

This is what the #FE team gets for thinking glasses and boobs don't mix.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

gently caress DS1.

As has been mentioned, petrify and switch is your friend. Get a team consisting of two basilisks and one character with petra eyes and unleash them on the vampire. Chances are one of them will hit and then Mari can finish it at her leisure. For Kaido just use an avatar demon to switch with him when he gets to low health and you should be fine.

Honestly I kind of like how difficult it is to keep people alive because that is the primary concern of the characters, not the lords of bel or the self defense force, but just trying to keep alive as the world quite literally goes to hell.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe people didn't buy it because they weren't interested in it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Honestly, the best way to deal with that fight is to just bring along someone with Petra Eyes and hope the petrification effect lands and then Mari gets an instakill. It's still stupid but at least that way it's manageably stupid.

One of my runs had him petrified, but he recovered the very next turn and one-shotted Mari

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

selling poorly means that people will be more inclined to look back on it fondly, actually

And then they'll be wrong just like with the dreamcast

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The Dreamcast had Rival Schools 2 so it was cool.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Endorph posted:

the game was out for two days when this was reported (and famitsu only displays sales up to the 27th right now), on top of coming out the day after christmas, on a console with a comparatively small userbase.

give it a few weeks, we'll have a better idea of how it's doing then. with the poorly timed release it's going to take a little while for sales to pick up (if they do). looking at the famitsu chart, it was at rank #13 there, which isn't too bad considering all of the above factors.

They should've worked with KFC on doing a tie in on christmas day

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

The Dreamcast had Rival Schools 2 so it was cool.

It also had a garbage controller

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the dreamcast had lots of good games

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
VMUs are still the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All these great fighting games like CVS2, JoJo Heritage for the Future, Alpha 2 and the controller is loving awful to play any of them with it