Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but eventually they will understand that Goku is a bad dad.
I mean it's not even about whether or not Goku is, objectively, a bad father (as that would be an argument that could go up in flames very fast), it's that the story calls him out on not understanding his son at all, and other characters have to bail him out of it. One is a really long ugly argument about what makes a good father or not (which everyone has an emotional opinion on), and the other is a thing that happens in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Twiddy posted:

I mean it's not even about whether or not Goku is, objectively, a bad father (as that would be an argument that could go up in flames very fast), it's that the story calls him out on not understanding his son at all, and other characters have to bail him out of it. One is a really long ugly argument about what makes a good father or not (which everyone has an emotional opinion on), and the other is a thing that happens in the story.

They call him a bad father / not understanding gohan when he literally spent a year with Gohan and all Gohan could talk about was how he wasn't gonna be useless anymore standing on the sidelines and wanted to kill cell himself.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Kild posted:

They call him a bad father / not understanding gohan when he literally spent a year with Gohan and all Gohan could talk about was how he wasn't gonna be useless anymore standing on the sidelines and wanted to kill cell himself.
So in your scenario where Goku did understand Gohan, why was the problem resolved by 16's head being thrown at Gohan and 16 giving a speech?

EDIT: That last bit was unnecessary, I'm really just trying to impress man, this is part of the canon here I hope this argument goes to die.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 31, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People really, really want Goku to be flawless. They will fight The author himself for this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kild posted:

Gohan wanted his absentee and often dead father to be proud of him and the only thing that registered to Goku was "how strong are you" so Gohan communicated on his dad's frequency.

The fact that they spent four years training together and Goku still couldn't figure out that Gohan didn't want to actually fight says a lot about how clueless Goku was.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Goku is not a good father, but he is not a bad one either. He never physically or emotionally abused Gohan or anything; Goku just didn't understand Gohan at all because he is incredibly dumb.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Meanwhile, in things that haven't been debated a few dozen times by the thread already:

It somehow looks dorkier than regular GT Trunks AND Baby Vegeta. Bravo, Heroes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

StrifeHira posted:

Meanwhile, in things that haven't been debated a few dozen times by the thread already:

He looks badass.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

StrifeHira posted:

The amount of combinations Heroes has managed is astounding. Waiting for Super Sayian 4 Super Baby Goku. Lets go crazy!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Twiddy posted:

So in your scenario where Goku did understand Gohan, why was the problem resolved by 16's head being thrown at Gohan and 16 giving a speech?

EDIT: That last bit was unnecessary, I'm really just trying to impress man, this is part of the canon here I hope this argument goes to die.

Because Toriyama is a bad writer? He wanted tension and threw away the previous characterization to achieve it? Same reason Gohan can't even catch an earring.

CharlestheHammer posted:

People really, really want Goku to be flawless. They will fight The author himself for this.

Who is saying he's flawless? Goku can beat up your Dad so he's the better Dad anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kild posted:

Because Toriyama is a bad writer? He wanted tension and threw away the previous characterization to achieve it? Same reason Gohan can't even catch an earring.

Who is saying he's flawless? Goku can beat up your Dad so he's the better Dad anyway.

Everyone who is trying to pretend his one major flaw isn't a thing. I guess you could say pride as well but that is Vegetas thing and he does it better.

Actual bad daddin was a major theme of the android Cell saga now that I think of it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everyone who is trying to pretend his one major flaw isn't a thing. I guess you could say pride as well but that is Vegetas thing and he does it better.

Actual bad daddin was a major theme of the android Cell saga now that I think of it.

Whis already said his major flaw though? He's too carefree/relaxed/unguarded/overconfident and thinks too little.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Vegeta is a good dad who takes his son to theme parks and gives him ice cream

Goku canonically has never taken either of his sons out for ice cream let alone to a theme park

But Goku is not the only one at fault, piccolo never gave Gohan ice cream either

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Goku canonically has never taken either of his sons out for ice cream let alone to a theme park

But Goku is not the only one at fault, piccolo never gave Gohan ice cream either

He only gave him icecream and themeparks because he physicall assaulted him out of anger.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kild posted:

He only gave him icecream and themeparks because he physicall assaulted him out of anger.

Goku doesn't even care enough to to physically assault his own children

Piccolo has to do it for him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku's one major flaw isn't that he isn't the best dad.

His one major flaw (and this is honestly repeatedly emphasized) is that he is a giant kid who loves to fight more than anything else. This doesn't mean he doesn't love his family or doesn't care about people or whatever. It just means that he'll put a chance to fight and train and better himself over almost anything else that doesn't feel like a pressing concern and he seems to genuinely have a hard to grasping that not everyone feels that way. It's also part of what is supposed to be unnerving about him going Super Saiyan because at long last he's actually seriously angry and unhappy to a degree where his eyeset changes to that of a villain.

It's why Battle of the Gods totally made sense as a plot point for him because he achieves a new more powerful form and he's spending the entire fight quietly sulking over the fact that he couldn't do this himself despite the fact he's fighting the most powerful creature in existence for the fate of the planet. And he does it but he doesn't want to do it because it's a serious fight he had to 'cheat' to get instead of one he achieves himself. He genuinely enjoys both training and pressing other people to train which is why PIccolo (and later Vegeta) are his rivals because they are the exact right mindset to go up against that because they both push him to train and in turn are pushed by him to train harder.

And this flaw causes him to make dumb mistakes because he does view the world in terms of "I want to fight the strong guy" until poo poo gets really really bad.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 31, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

Who cares if Toriyama is a bad writer ot not. All of this seems like it's desperately trying to ignore the conclusive fact that Goku was called on not understanding his son and by proxy, some bad parenting in the Cell Saga. I don't see why. Arguing with facts is a waste of everyone's time.

Kild posted:

I'd say Vegita is definitely a worse parent.

Piccolo depends on how you count that initial training session where he transitioned from being an rear end in a top hat to trying to be a good guy.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Krillin is a good father and a cool guy

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Destroy Goku.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Who cares if Toriyama is a bad writer ot not. All of this seems like it's desperately trying to ignore the conclusive fact that Goku was called on not understanding his son and by proxy, some bad parenting in the Cell Saga. I don't see why. Arguing with facts is a waste of everyone's time.

Just because he was called out on it doesn't mean its true. And its extrapolated into he's the worst dad in the history because he believed in his child who said he could do thing. He's called out on it by the guy who hasn't seen Gohan really fight since he was 4 in the Saiyan Saga. It's like if Goku bought Gohan GTAV cus thats all he talked about and Piccolo says he doesn't understand Gohan at all because what Gohan really wanted was SpongeBob because that's what he liked at age 4. "Gohan's not a fighter" *Has participated in every battle willingly in DBZ*

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If Beerus and Champa did the fusion dance, what would that be called?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Black Velvet?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

Just because he was called out on it doesn't mean its true.
Literally all you have to do is read the reaction panel/reaction shots when all that happens but I think I'm done. I literally just decided to comment on this for once because I thought I could inject some sense into this.

Covok posted:

There is nothing pretty that can come out of this.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Literally all you have to do is read the reaction panel/reaction shots when all that happens but I think I'm done. I literally just decided to comment on this for once because I thought I could inject some sense into this.

All you have to do is read Goku + Gohan being in the time chamber? Look at the reactions to SSJ3. There's no way he could do that he's bluffing!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darko posted:

The bigger problem is the keyframing. The old series covered for a lack of frames in cases with well done, dramatic keyframing. Even the infamous four-frame fast fighting that was done with every clash was punctuated by some very dramatic and well done keyframes and stills in between. This series gets rather odd in while you expect some shoddy fills and cheats, even the still in-between stuff looks bad.

It doesn't technically cost more money/time to do more dramatic poses, cleaner mid range stills or a better sense of weight and timing.

I -can- effort post and demonstrate that in a couple of days when I'm back at my other comp, to show exactly what is being referred to here and how it can be simply (and quickly) improved.

But can you do better

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Namtab posted:

But can you do better
I mean assuming we get some kyframing lectures with applicable shots we're getting something constructive out of this.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Hell Piccolo says Gohan is crying wondering why his Dad is letting him get beat up when that wasn't the case at all. He just thought he could talk it out and was scared of his own power.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Twiddy posted:

How could you tell if they failed the fusion? If they came out fat, they'd look like Champa. If they came out too skinny, they'd look like Beerus.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Covok posted:

How could you tell if they failed the fusion? If they came out fat, they'd look like Champa. If they came out too skinny, they'd look like Beerus.
I meant in terms of the name, obviously Beerus and his fusions can only ever be the most elegant man in the multiverse.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Champ(r)us

Covok
May 27, 2013

Other than an abhorrent waste, is there any name for a drink that is a mix of beer and champagne? That'd be their fusion name.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
For the first four years of his life, Goku doted on Gohan as a son, and never attempted to make him fight. From then until Goku's death there is not a single moment in Goku's life where he isn't training like a mad man because the world is going to die. However he's dealing with the knowledge in the Android Saga that with him dead, everyone else would die, and he was determined to leave the world defended so that when his time came, they would be able to protect themselves.

Here is where he makes his mistake, he misinterprets Gohan's desire to fight Cell as the same kind of love of battle that he has, while Gohan's actual desire to fight Cell was more of a "If I have to I want to be ready." There's also the fact that Gohan has always frozen in the face of power, not that Goku was around for any of those moments, but he is the kind of character who will talk up a desire to do a thing, and then in the heat of the moment not have the stomach to pull it off.

Kild isn't wrong that Gohan spends all of their time training talking about defeating Cell, at the same time it's not wrong that Goku misread his own son, and that Piccolo, who has fought along side Gohan, can recognize that the boy doesn't have Goku's fighting spirit.

Does Goku make a mistake as a parent? Yeah. Is he a bad father? Not really, one mistake bad parenthood does not make, When things were at peace he was always there for Gohan, hell even while training it's very apparent that Goku loves his son and cares for him. But there is a miscommunication on what Gohan actually wants, one that makes sense because Gohan and Goku have never fought along side one another in a serious fight until that moment.

The only real argument for "Is Goku a bad father" I've ever heard was him choosing to stay dead, and ignoring that the argument is that it's better to skull gently caress the laws of nature and come back to life rather than just accepting that you passed on... Well it all depends how you see him dying against Cell, was his final conversation with King Kai a case of dramatic license and Cell blew up near immediately? Or did Goku willingly let himself die? I don't think it's the latter. If the argument is "He could have killed Cell" the response is "Yes and so could Vegeta if he actually caught Cell entirely in the Final Flash." Goku was at big risk at wiping out earth with the Warp Kamehameha.

Of course he did give Cell that Senzu bean... that was just... That was actual bad parenting, and I honestly thing that was out of character for Goku. Sure he gave Piccolo a Senzu, but A. If Piccolo died then Kami would die and B. He did that after beating him. But it did happen and it's a really bad thing from Goku. So... is Goku a bad father?

I posit that Goku is in fact Akira Toriyama, and thus hates Gohan.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Onmi posted:

I posit that Goku is in fact Akira Toriyama, and thus hates Gohan.
Shut the gently caress up about bloodpacts!

... Nah that's actually a good post and I think gets across what Kild and I were arguing about without the unnecessary aggression.

Again, not even gonna try to get into whether or not Goku is objectively a bad dad.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Other than an abhorrent waste, is there any name for a drink that is a mix of beer and champagne? That'd be their fusion name.

Black Velvet aka a Bismarck

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Velvet_(beer_cocktail)

Twiddy posted:

Shut the gently caress up about bloodpacts!

... Nah that's actually a good post and I think gets across what Kild and I were arguing about without the unnecessary aggression.

Again, not even gonna try to get into whether or not Goku is objectively a bad dad.

Who was being aggressive tho? :confused:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Kild posted:

Who was being aggressive tho? :confused:
Let's just say on my part.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

I wonder if goku or piccolo know what a theme park even is

oh well, at least they can drive

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Covok posted:

The amount of combinations Heroes has managed is astounding. Waiting for Super Sayian 4 Super Baby Goku. Lets go crazy!

It's stupid, but I really want to see their take on Golden Cyan Great Ape God Baby Vegeta.

E: Yeah that too.
VVVVV

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 31, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mogomra posted:

It's stupid, but I really want to see their take on Golden Majin Cyan Great Ape God Baby Vegeta.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wonder if goku or piccolo know what a theme park even is

oh well, at least they can drive

For that matter, I'm willing to bet ChiChi doesn't know what a theme park is either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The filler episode between RoF and the interdimensional tournament arc should be Trunks, ideally Future/Time Patrol Trunks taking the Son clan to a theme park.

• Locked thread