Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!
He is the Ghost of Christmas Pummelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

:psyduck: I didn't even notice that.

I'm pretty sure that's a glancing blow that ended up brushing the fur.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

my dad posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a glancing blow that ended up brushing the fur.

I choose to believe it was DBZ-style teleport dodging.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Late, but sorry, Worker Coop. I totally forgot I could actually modify Axolotl between rounds. :negative:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Would it be a good idea (or possible) to add the participation points after your fight for the round ends? As it is, it looks like you have the option to update your fighter as soon as your fight that round is up, but the participation points don't roll in until all fights are concluded.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im pretty sure the passes right through thing is caused when an attack hits something so badly mangled that it just slips though a hole. had it happen versus non fuzzy foes

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
New DF has giant Elephants. Probably giant everything else as well.

Someone find me some stats for a giant gremlin.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

goatface posted:

New DF has giant Elephants. Probably giant everything else as well.

Someone find me some stats for a giant gremlin.

They are twice the size of a normal gremlin.

(I hope everyone had a good Christmas if that is your thing. Does DF have holidays in-game? Are they procedurally generated? If not, why not?)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
FIGHTS FIGHTS FIGHTS FIGHTS FIGHTS

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 6, Fight 6 :siren:

Team Laser Explosion is on the left side of the arena.
Anthony (dasmause) is a male tigerman. He is empty handed and wears an iron helm, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
Mogwai (Dark Off) is a female gremlin. She wields an iron buckler and an iron buckler and wears no armor.
Molegrim (Maugrim) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper spear and wears a bronze helm and leather gauntlets.
Turquoise Tonic (Hihohe) is a male human. He wields a silver mace and wears an iron cap, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.

Spooky Scary Skeletons is on the right side of the arena.
Tash Al'rhyn (tithin) is a female werewolf. She wields a silver war hammer and a wooden shield and wears a copper mail shirt, a bronze mail shirt, and leather gauntlets.
Three Gremlins in a Blender (AJ_Impy) is a male strangler. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears a copper cap, copper gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Bad Munki (Coward) is a male kobold. He wields a steel bow and wears a leather cap.
Candy Corn Tiger (Klokwurk) is a male tigerman. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears bronze gauntlets.

Spooky Scary Skeletons is a 1.14 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 6857.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 5999.00 dwarfbucks for Team Laser Explosion.

The opening arrow flies across the arena and slams into Anthony's arm. Bone is chipped and he is in massive pain. Well done, Bad Munki. Not the real Bad Munki; he sucks. But nice job to the gladiator named Bad Munki.

Anthony leaves a snail trail of blood across the arena floor like a stripper on stage. Yeah, that was gross. I shouldn't have written that.

The gladiators meet, Candy Corn Tiger slams his halberd into Molegrims chest. The moleman has trouble breathing, but it's just a lung, he doesn't feel pain. Turquoise slams his mace into Candy Corn, but only bruises the bone. Three Gremlins, a strangler, slams his pick into Molegrim and the molemans leg flies across the arena. Three Gremlins changes targets and puts his pick into Anthony's chest. But wait! Anthony's armor takes the blow and only causes a bruised lung. Lucky him!

Hey, I was right! Another arrow from Bad Munki slams into the unsuspecting Mogwai, piercing his pancreas.

Anthony and Tash fight up north. Candy Corn and Turquoise duel down south, both causing bruising and dodging.. The middle is a clusterfuck. Mogwai attacks a distracted Tash and puts her spear into the werewolfs head. It just hurts a bit and doesn't cause any problems. Molegrim tramples Three Gremlins and then puts his spear through his guts. Three Gremlins throws up a bit, and then is bitten in the arm really hard. The strangler passes out.

Candy Corn has had enough of this Mr Nice Guy act. His halberd swipes to the right, Turquois' leg goes flying. The halberd comes back to the left and the humans head flies off. Mogwai and Molegrim are mutilating Three Gremlins, but not killing him for some strange reason. Tash is being groped by Anthony up north. Anthony grabs, cops a feel, and releases multiple times. Kinky, but to each his own.

Finally Molegrim puts the strangler out of his misery. It looks pretty even so far. The moleman is bleeding heavily, and a bunch of gladiators have lung issues, but it's still 3v3 with no one unscathed.

Mogwai smartened up from the last arrow, and blocks this one with ease.
Edit: Wrong picture. Mogwai blocks an arrow at some point, but this gif is of an arrow hitting Molegrim. It should go with the description to the next image.

Candy Corn charges back to the fight. Molegrim teams up with Mogwai to pulverize a distracted Tash. Tash goes down, unconscious from 3 gladiators stabbing and biting her. Molegrim turned his back on Candy Corn. Bad idea... Candy Corn nearly cuts him in two, spilling his guts across the floor. An arrow flies into the melee, hits Molegrims hand, and somehow gets the kill as Molegrim bleeds to death. :wtc:

Candy Corn turns his attention to Anthony and Mogwai who are still distracted by bashing away at the unconscious werewolf Tash. The iron halberd strikes his neck and Anthony goes down. Candy Corn and Mogwai are in a competition called "Who can get through the helmet of the unconscious opponent first." Turns out it's Candy Corn. Another arrow slams into Anthony's chest just before Candy Corn takes off his head.

Candy Corn chases Mogwai now and puts his halberd into the gremlins chest. An arrow (seen here) slams into the gremlins leg, knocking him unconscious.

Candy Corn takes his third head of the night.

Spooky Scary Skeletons wins with a hard-fought 4-1 victory.

Kills:
Bad Munki: 1
Candy Corn Tiger: 3

Molegrim: 1

Combat Log

Edit2: Temporary combat log hosted here: http://pastebin.com/7Ujw7ucw

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 29, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Competent archery again. Must be the phase of the moon.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'm okay with it either way.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Spooky Scary Skeletons continue their semi-reliable murder ability!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
It's even better than that. Bad Munki (Coward) is blooded! :D Every single member of the Skeletons has earned the privilege of being named a gladiator, worthy of honour and respect. Candy Corn Tiger overtakes Three Gremlins as the most killy skeleton, 8 kills to 7.

Intriguingly, the most lethal member on each team going into the fight was the first to die on both sides.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Spooky Scary Skeletons Is also notable for being the team with the best K-D difference who isn't first in their division, yet also is better than all of Syrupleaf Division.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Also, Three Gremlins' indestructible head was the MVP there. After getting KOed, it withstood:

9 stabs with a spear
6 buckler smashes
9 tendons torn
6 arteries opened
2 skull fractures

Before finally getting cloven asunder. Fifteen attacks, tying up half the opfor, giving Tiger, Tash and BM (C) the time they needed to kill Turquoise and cripple Anthony.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

jon joe posted:

Spooky Scary Skeletons Is also notable for being the team with the best K-D difference who isn't first in their division, yet also is better than all of Syrupleaf Division.

Gemclod Division might also end up with the team with the worst K-D if A Tarantino Film has it in them to fursecute.

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!

AJ_Impy posted:

9 stabs with a spear
6 buckler smashes
9 tendons torn
6 arteries opened
2 skull fractures
And a partridge in a pear tree!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Rarely is the question asked: "Is our gladiators fighting?"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not sure how comfortable I feel about my gladiator getting knocked unconcious near a dude who's groping her

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Round 6, Fight 7 :siren:

A Tarantino Film is on the left side of the arena.
Uma Thurman (AnoHito) is a female human. She wields a steel two-handed sword and wears leather armor.
Urist McLee (Fuubi) is a male dwarf. He is empty handed and wears a copper helm.
Snarls Barkley (Bene Elim) is a female werewolf. She wields a bronze pike and a wooden shield and wears a bronze helm and bronze gauntlets.
Solomon Rabinowitz (Added Space) is a male serpent man. He is empty handed and wears a steel helm, a steel mail shirt, steel gauntlets, and steel high boots.

A furry, a farmer, and two cows is on the right side of the arena.
Goku (Galick) is a male tigerman. He wields a silver war hammer and a wooden buckler and wears a leather cap, leather armor, a copper mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Dontellim Pike (John Charity Spring) is a male human. He wields an iron pike and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Min/Maxotaur (Anchors) is a female minotaur. She wields a copper large dagger and a wooden buckler and wears a copper helm, a copper mail shirt, a copper mail shirt, a copper breast plate, copper greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Rob Ford (Tirius) is a male minotaur. He wields an iron two-handed sword and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm and an iron mail shirt.

A Tarantino Film is a 1.08 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 2544.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 2353.00 dwarfbucks for A furry, a farmer, and two cows.

I wouldn't expect most of you to notice this, or necessarily to understand what it means, but believe me Anchors: I sure noticed that dagger.

Min/Max is our fastest competitor. He attacks Snarls to no effect. Uma manages to actually land a blow; her steel passes through Pike's thigh without really slowing down much. Pike is even more effective. His pike goes through her ribcage and her heart, tearing everything up. I didn't even know you could have both sides of false ribs damaged in a single attack! Goku follows up with a cherry-tap to the arm, and Uma passes out. I'm amazed that she survived even a moment. Goku winds up for a real attack, and she is instantly slain.

I did not see this coming.

Solomon isn't intending to let this continue. He bites Rob Ford in the minotaur's Achilles Heel and injects venom. Rob Ford stabs Solomon in the tail before the venom takes hold, but it's merely a bruise. Then, the paralytic takes full effect and the minotaur drops sword and shield and falls over. Pike and Urist get into a fight next, Pike's pike pricking pitifully at first, but Urist has to take a few swings before he's warmed up and can break bone with his punches, too.

Solomon is trying to get another mouthful of beef, but Min/Max is covered in copper, and that's hard to bite through. Goku tries to tackle Urist, but can't hit the dwarf hard enough. Min/Max knows how to hit, though; she puts her dagger deep into Snarls' lung. Solomon changes targets, and bites Goku, but before he can inject venom, Goku clobbers the attached snake and breaks his spine. Thus distracted, Solomon is unable to inject venom.

Worse for Team Tarantino, Rob Ford has overcome the paralysis and has picked himself up. He's lost his weapon (and of course by arena rules you can't possibly pick things up off the floor; the five second rule is strictly enforced), and Snarls is trying to pike him, but he grabs her ankle and locks it. A twist... a little more... a sickening noise. Snarls passes out.

Goku is on some sort of a roll today. Another sweep of his silver hammer finds it coated in Solomon's liver. Rob Ford, too, is only improved by having been paralyzed and disarmed. He grabs Snarls in the arm and bends her weapon arm in all the wrong ways. What's left can't hold her pike.

Min/Max defangs Solomon. Then... wow. Pike pikes Snarls. The pike gets stuck. Rob Ford grabs it and yanks it clear. It's Rob Ford's now. He takes to stabbing Snarls, and Pike (maybe I should call him Punches now?) starts punching the werewolf.

Solomon's fang lands. Rob Ford carves Snarls like a Christmas ham, killing her. He rushes to Urist next, and stabs the dwarf in the kidney. Great success; Urist gives in to pain, retching in his painful insensate state, as more damage rains in.

Urist finally bleeds to death. Min/Max gets the kill, then turns her attention to bite out Solomon's forked tongue. Another bite, another grotesque parody of a kiss, and Min/Max has enough of a grip on the snake's lips to throw him around. His jaw beginning to hang loose, the snake man is out. Goku lands the actual killing blow.

A convincing 4-0 victory for A furry, a farmer, and two cows. I don't think anyone expected this outcome.

Final Score
A furry, a farmer, and two cows: 4
A Tarantino Film: 0

Kills
Goku: 2
Min/Maxotaur: 1
Rob Ford: 1

Combat Log

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
what :catstare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocH88TJdCjM

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
All according to plan. We have just been lulling you guys into a false sense of security. Enjoy your merciless slaughter from here one out. ;)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have thrown all my money away.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

He stole his teammates weapon. How rude.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hrmm, well, let's move on to the next round shall we~? :classiclol:

I'm gonna keep betting on my team even though Urist is the top nominee for the worst fighter razzie awards... :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The Furry Farm discovered the use of sharp weapons. I guess that would make them more dangerous dangerous at all.

Of course the Plump Helmets haven't been slacking in the training department. Well, I think anyway. Or at least they are doing that thing where you just stare at your foes and play the entire fight out in your head. Which is sort of like exercise.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I would have said exponentially more dangerous but 0x0 = 0

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ramc posted:

I would have said exponentially more dangerous but 0x0 = 0

0^0 = 1, though.

Calculus people incoming in three...

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Tecnically, exponentially would be 0^0, which isn't super well defined but in most cases it is treated as equal to one.

:shittypop::science:

Edit: Beaten, curse you ZeeToo!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Math! :argh:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ZeeToo posted:

A convincing 4-0 victory for A furry, a farmer, and two cows. I don't think anyone expected this outcome.

Ahem.

I now sit pretty at 34 thousand! dorfbux. Chaos reigns.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, next DF version is adding save/load to the arena.

Will this change the face of dwarf fortress gladiation as we know it?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

quote:

(and of course by arena rules you can't possibly pick things up off the floor; the five second rule is strictly enforced)

Why can't things be picked up? Just a weird quirk of Dwarf Fort?

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 31, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I imagine it would be a massive AI headache. They'd need to have preferences for items, decisions for when they should be dropping and picking up better tools and when they should be concentrating on fighting, whether they should be picking up melee or ranged weapons, whether they should grab a shield etc

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

goatface posted:

I imagine it would be a massive AI headache. They'd need to have preferences for items, decisions for when they should be dropping and picking up better tools and when they should be concentrating on fighting, whether they should be picking up melee or ranged weapons, whether they should grab a shield etc

In other words, Toady is probably working on it right now and it should be ready around mid-2018.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It'll come in with the neural network update.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

It'll come in with the neural network update.

Urist McDwarf cancels drink: interrupted by drowning neuron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Happy New Year DF Arena Thread. From the last round:

quote:

A Lost Cowman (Petting Zoo) punches Return of Panty Thief (Plump Helmets) in the left hand, but the attack passes right through!