Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nine of the Stackpole Rogue Squadron novels were bundled together on the Kindle, and so I figured, "what the hell, how bad could they really be?" Oh, what a fool I was.

Look, the games were fun--at the time--but the last thing I want from a story is a keystroke-by-keystroke translation.

Halfway into the first one, what I've learned so far: girls are totally obsessed with kissing and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Madurai posted:

Nine of the Stackpole Rogue Squadron novels were bundled together on the Kindle, and so I figured, "what the hell, how bad could they really be?" Oh, what a fool I was.

Look, the games were fun--at the time--but the last thing I want from a story is a keystroke-by-keystroke translation.

Halfway into the first one, what I've learned so far: girls are totally obsessed with kissing and stuff.

Not all the X-Wing books were written by Stackpole.

Check out 5, 6, 7, and 9. Those were written by Aaron Allston and are AMAZING. 5-7 follow the adventures of Wraith Squadron, a fighter unit assembled as a commando unit first, fighter squadron second (Wedge realized just how often the Rogues, dedicated fighter pilots, kept ending up on ground missions)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Judging by the location of Luke's hiding place on the galactic map, is it possible that the first Jedi Temple is located on Rakata Prime/Lehon/The Unknown World? It technically predates Tython with regards to Force Users.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Madurai posted:

Only the first one is that derivative. If you don't like Corran though you might as well just move on to Wraith Squadron though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jazerus posted:

Only the first one is that derivative. If you don't like Corran though you might as well just move on to Wraith Squadron though.

But then you would be missing out on Booster Terrik, as well as the Bacta War.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Corran Horn is really kind of a garbage character but I enjoyed the X-Wing books nonetheless.

One of the most WTF things in the series is that they think Corran dies and give him a huge televised state funeral with thousands of people attending. He wasn't even that great of a pilot and a ton of them died before him. What the gently caress makes him so special that he deserves that? Holy cow is he a Mary Sue or what? Jesus.

...Also there's a kid who likes to gently caress Bothans, who are furry goat people.

But uh... yeah, as was said, the Wraith Squadron books are legitimately good. Warlord Zsinj is one of my favorite Star Wars villains, just because he's different. So many Sith Lords, bounty hunters and stuffy Englishmen. It's kind of depressing that the Star Wars EU really doesn't take a lot of inspiration from outside sources other than, well, other Star Wars things.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

One of the most WTF things in the series is that they think Corran dies and give him a huge televised state funeral with thousands of people attending. He wasn't even that great of a pilot and a ton of them died before him. What the gently caress makes him so special that he deserves that? Holy cow is he a Mary Sue or what? Jesus.

Rogue Squadron is presented as 1 part fighter squadron 1 part public relations team. They're the Seal Team 6 of Star Wars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Rogue Squadron is presented as 1 part fighter squadron 1 part public relations team. They're the Seal Team 6 of Star Wars.

Yeah, the whole reason Ackbar gave permission to Wedge to rebuild the team was for propaganda purposes. The New Republic was kinda clever sometimes.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Warlord Zsinj is one of my favorite Star Wars villains

But how do you pronounce his name in your head?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Thwomp posted:

Same way you pronounce Tzeentch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Thwomp posted:

Like the word 'singe' with a bit of a rasp at the start.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Bought a die cast Captain Phasma. This probably rounds out my TFA merchandise run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

But uh... yeah, as was said, the Wraith Squadron books are legitimately good. Warlord Zsinj is one of my favorite Star Wars villains, just because he's different. So many Sith Lords, bounty hunters and stuffy Englishmen. It's kind of depressing that the Star Wars EU really doesn't take a lot of inspiration from outside sources other than, well, other Star Wars things.

It's funny you should say that, because I always had this image in my head of Zsinj as Captain Mainwaring from Dad's Army.

One thing I really like about Zsinj is actually the retcon Allston came up with to make him a credible threat after The Courtship of Princess Leia introduced him as a bit of a buffoon; Zsinj and his men were all ex-Imperial intelligence who deliberately presented themselves as full-on over-the-top James Bond villains because it would misdirect their enemies.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I dunno. How is it supposed to be pronounced?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's funny you should say that, because I always had this image in my head of Zsinj as Captain Mainwaring from Dad's Army.

One thing I really like about Zsinj is actually the retcon Allston came up with to make him a credible threat after The Courtship of Princess Leia introduced him as a bit of a buffoon; Zsinj and his men were all ex-Imperial intelligence who deliberately presented themselves as full-on over-the-top James Bond villains because it would misdirect their enemies.

Well, with a mustache like that, the guy has to be British. Of course, I always imagined him as Harry Mudd. Or President Taft.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I dunno. How is it supposed to be pronounced?

Well, with a mustache like that, the guy has to be British. Of course, I always imagined him as Harry Mudd. Or President Taft.

Or Ramba Ral.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or Ramba Ral.

I like him and all, but he's not nearly as badass as Ramba Ral.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What always pissed me off about Corran Horn is that he was still working for Corellian security under the Empire until like a year or two after Endor. Like, shouldn't people who defected to fight the Empire when it was actually a real threat call him on that, or at least think of him as a bit of an opportunist who just switched sides when it became clear the Empire was losing. But no, it never comes up and he's the most awesome pilot-slash-Jedi in the galaxy and gets to lecture Luke all through "I, Jedi"...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Angry Salami posted:

What always pissed me off about Corran Horn is that he was still working for Corellian security under the Empire until like a year or two after Endor. Like, shouldn't people who defected to fight the Empire when it was actually a real threat call him on that, or at least think of him as a bit of an opportunist who just switched sides when it became clear the Empire was losing. But no, it never comes up and he's the most awesome pilot-slash-Jedi in the galaxy and gets to lecture Luke all through "I, Jedi"...

CorSec wasn't directly Imperial, though, just existing infrastructure that the Empire hadnt gotten around to absorbing. There's no defection involved.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Glad to see he's still wearing his sensible slacks and shoes from Episode 3

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Luke needed lectures in I, Jedi. Having Mara do it again would be a bit much.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Casimir Radon posted:

Luke needed lectures in I, Jedi. Having Mara do it again would be a bit much.

Luke's behavior in a novel written by Michael Stackpole requires correction, and that correction can only come from Stackpole's pet character? You don't say. :allears:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I always took it as Stackpole lecturing Anderson rather than Corran lecturing Luke.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

dublish posted:

I always took it as Stackpole lecturing Anderson rather than Corran lecturing Luke.
I, Jedi is a revision of the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the rogues are all incredibly cool and good

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Milky Moor posted:

the rogues are all incredibly cool and good

True...but none are as cool or good as the Wraiths.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

jivjov posted:

True...but none are as cool or good as the Wraiths.

Let's see. going by initial makeup:

Rogue One: Wedge/Wraith One: Wedge. Draw
Rogue Two: Peshk Vri'syk/Wraith Two: Jesmin Ackbar. Both pretty boring, both killed off pretty fast. I guess slight advantage to Wraiths because Jesmin's death worked well as a character moment for Wedge and Kell.
Rogue Three: Bror Jace/Wraith Three: Falynn Sandskimmer. I'd say slight advantage to Jace, but I'm sick and tired of characters from Tatooine, so I might be biased.
Rogue Four: Nawara Ven/Wraith Four: Eurrsk Thri'ag. Easy win for the Rogues, Nawara is the second best Rogue and all slicers in the Wraiths are uninteresting characters meant only to die quickly.
Rogue Five: Gavin Darklighter/Wraith Five: Kell Tainer. Close one, they both get a bunch of development. I like Kell a little better just considering the X-wing books (Anti-Tatooine bias again), but Gavin has an interesting arc into the NJO books.
Rogue Six: Riv Shiel/Wraith Six: Runt. No contest, Horse Pilot forever.
Rogue Seven: Rhysati Ynr/Wraith Seven: Ton Phanan. Phanan is awesome, Rhysati is a love interest for Nawara. Easy Wraith win.
Rogue Eight: Erisi Dlarit/Wraith Eight: Face Loran. Wraith dominance of two flight continues.
Rogue Nine: Corran Horn/Wraith Nine: Myn Donos. Corellian duel - irritating self-insert vs. PTSD sufferer. Really, the characters they interact with are much more interesting (the Terriks for Corran/Lara for Donos) so I'll call this one a draw.
Rogue Ten: Ooryl Qyrgg/Wraith Ten: Tyria Sarkin. Tyria is all right, but Ooryl is the best Rogue (Stackpole as usual writes better sidekicks than main characters) so I have to give this one to the Rogues.
Rogue Eleven: Lujayne Forge/Wraith Eleven: Wes Janson. Yub Yub Commander!
Rogue Twelve: Andoorni Hui/Wraith Twelve: Voort saBinring. Piggy is great, though I'm giving him credit for Mercy Kill as well which really makes him an excellent character. Not that he had much competition here.

Rogue Replacements: Asyr Sei'lar, Pash Cracken, Aril Nunb, Inyri Forge/Wraith Replacements: Castin Donn, Shalla Nelprin, Dia Passik, Lara Notsil, Elassar Targon. Asyr is the Rogue standout here, though Pash was pretty cool too. All the Rogues are better than the two boring Wraiths, but Lara Notsil benefits from having half a book be entirely about her, and Elassar Targon is the Master of the Universe, so this one is a Wraith win too.

Droids: I guess Mynock/Gate technically counts for both, but he's a lot cooler in the Stackpole books. Whistler is pretty good too. Vape is the only interesting Wraith astromech, and that's only a side effect of Face's awesomeness. Squeaky and Emtrey are both decent enough so they balance out. The droid escape scene from Isard's Revenge really helps the Rogues here.

My score is Rogues 4 Wraiths 8 and 2 draws. That makes sense to me, there's a couple cool Rogues (and they get a benefit from the droids category I included) but the Wraiths have the whole squadron given development whereas Stackpole probably wishes he could write for a five-man squadron instead of 12 people.

I can't believe I spent the time to type all that out, but it ended up being fairly interesting (and tracking down who was which number for the Rogues was a tough puzzle, especially for Three, Four, Seven, and Eight). Also, I never realized this while reading the books, but wow is Wedge's wingmate a death zone. I guess that's why he ends up with Tycho in the later books, anyone else would be dead meat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

broken clock opsec posted:

CorSec wasn't directly Imperial, though, just existing infrastructure that the Empire hadnt gotten around to absorbing. There's no defection involved.

Did anyone else ever feel like Corellia was wanked almost as hard as the Mandalorians?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Corellia is just Space Texas.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Yeah, but if you stuck at your job in the Paris police under Vichy until, like, a week after Normandy and then tried to reinvent yourself as an agent of Le Resistance, I don't care how mundane your job was, people are going to be pretty drat cynical about your change of heart.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
We really playing " no true son of the Revolution" right now or something jesus

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

We really playing " no true son of the Revolution" right now or something jesus

I just think it could have been mentioned once or twice rather than everyone automatically treating him as the greatest hero the galaxy's ever seen. I don't know, could have given him some faint hint of personality...

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did anyone else ever feel like Corellia was wanked almost as hard as the Mandalorians?

Not even close. At the very least, all the Corellia stuff was only from the POV of actual Corellians, and a lot of it seemed pretty tongue-in-cheek.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ninjahedgehog posted:

Not even close. At the very least, all the Corellia stuff was only from the POV of actual Corellians, and a lot of it seemed pretty tongue-in-cheek.

The 3edged sword isn't :shlick: Jedi-Sith-Corellians :shlick: I'll tell you that much

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ninjahedgehog posted:

Alright, the Mandalorian comparison was taking it a bit far, but I really do think some writers (and I won't accuse Allston or Stackpole because it's been that long since I read the X-Wing books) did latch on to the Corellians in a similar way as did Traviss with the MANDOS, even if not to the same extent. :shrug:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I think the key difference is that authors thought: "Han Solo is from Corellia? Cool, Corellia is an entire planet of Han Solos!" which isn't good writing, but at least it's not:

"Boba Fett is Mandalorian? Cool, let's make every single Mandalorian a flawless uber-badass who can beat a Sith Lord in single combat, also the Jedi are Literally Hitler and people who disagree with me are the Taliban"

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Also Corellia was conceived of as a big, influential world that's a commercial and cultural hub.

Mandalorians live on a backwater and are relative few. So why does everyone keep talking about them? It's a faded warrior culture in a universe full of these Star Wars... There's no in-universe reason to care about them that much, at least until we start throwing magic metals into the story.

Of course the real reason it features so heavily is catering to fan demands because Boba Fett is and always has been extremely marketable, but let's just call it what it is.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I did like the Clone Wars Mandalore stuff though. Faded warrior culture dissenters is fun.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the Clone Wars Mandalore stuff because you didn't even need the Force to hear the millions of Traviss worshipers crying out in anger and being suddenly silenced.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Drone posted:

Corellia is just Space Texas.

With giant space butterflies.

EDIT: Lucas is now entering his crazy bitter white old man phase, enjoy!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Question about Clone Wars stuff because I'm bored enough to start watching. Where does the movie slot in with the tv show and is it worth it/necessary to watch it?