Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I prefer silly puns to generic fantasy stuff. Also I'm always down with flavour text that plays up the danger of a 1/2 with no further combat abilities

e: "Oh gently caress, two toughness??" - Jace Beleren

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I prefer silly puns to generic fantasy stuff. Also I'm always down with flavour text that plays up the danger of a 1/2 with no further combat abilities

Well, for perspective: it's among the smallest of all non-token Eldrazi, but it's observed in the wild devouring the transformed landscape of Zendikar and converting it into energy. As a planeswalker, to see a "weak" Eldrazi do that is terrifying.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

I very badly wish WotC would return to nothing but worldbuilding and bad jokes in flavor text, instead of using it to tell a disjointed, halfassed story about the knockoff power rangers

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

it slices
it dices

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

"Skinning Tendrils"1BB
Sorcery

Devoid

All creatures get -2/-2 until end of turn. If a creature would die this turn exile it instead. 
-----
Drown in Exile seems pretty needed. Should be pretty useful

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Anger of the Sorrow

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Frozen_flame posted:

"Skinning Tendrils"1BB
Sorcery

Devoid

All creatures get -2/-2 until end of turn. If a creature would die this turn exile it instead. 
-----

:stare:

Well, then. Looks like the controlly versions of Jeskai Black and Atarka Red can get hosed. (Read: Get knocked down a peg. But, yeah.) And Rally decks are now dead.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Worst set ever

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rally has some counterplay with Husk. It does provide a good way to screw over annoying megamorph boards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So I guess upping the power level of small sets compared to the previous big set is a thing now?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

:stare:

Well, then. Looks like the controlly versions of Jeskai Black and Atarka Red can get hosed. (Read: Get knocked down a peg. But, yeah.) And Rally decks are now dead.

idk rally now has "whenever a thing dies make an eldrazi" so it could just combo instead of attack

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Going to have a lot of fun in limited running people over who cast this on turn one and activate it on turn four.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

This is the nerdiest picture ever, a bunch of Professional Magic Players waiting to go see a Taylor Swift concert.

From PV's Year-end wrap up article: http://www.channelfireball.com/home/the-best-of-2015/

fake edit-good for them, looks like fun

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some good counters to Planeswalkers? My friend yelled at me because "Emblems are OP Game Ending Bullshit." I'm knew so I didn't really have a counter for that, but I'd like to be able to discuss with him what the "Good moves" are in that situation.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

What are some good counters to Planeswalkers? My friend yelled at me because "Emblems are OP Game Ending Bullshit." I'm knew so I didn't really have a counter for that, but I'd like to be able to discuss with him what the "Good moves" are in that situation.

1)Playing an aggressive creature strategy
2)Hero's Downfall, Dreadbore, Ruinous Path,
3) Pithing Needle, Phyrexian Revoker
4)Countering the Walker before it Resolves/Killing it before it flips
5)Vampire Hexmage
6)Burn
7) Honestly just play more creatures, your friend is whining for no good reason. If you are getting off a planeswalker ultimate, they lost the game many turns ago.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Turtlicious posted:

A) Kill the planeswalker
B) Pressure the opponent to use the minus ability on the planeswalker so they can't ultimate
C) Counter the planeswalker
D) Ruinous Path
E) Burn spell to the face, redirect it to the walker.

E requires some explaining; so when you dome a dude with something like say, lightning strike or wild slash, before it resolves, you are given the option to hit a planeswalker for the associated loyalty if they control one instead of hitting your opponent with the damage.

This rule does not apply to life loss, which is very different to damage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Going to have a lot of fun in limited running people over who cast this on turn one and activate it on turn four.
Eh, holding up 4 mana in a blue deck may not be the worst depending on what the commons look like.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Turtlicious posted:

Thief of Blood

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Madmarker posted:

This is the nerdiest picture ever, a bunch of Professional Magic Players waiting to go see a Taylor Swift concert.

From PV's Year-end wrap up article: http://www.channelfireball.com/home/the-best-of-2015/

fake edit-good for them, looks like fun

I saw this concert earlier in the year. It was amazing.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Get new friends

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

a good way to deal with planeswalkers is to have your own good cards in your deck that do things. For example, you could play a creature and attack with it.

Eh, holding up 4 mana in a blue deck may not be the worst depending on what the commons look like.

Yea maybe the'll print an efficient counterspell

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

a good way to deal with planeswalkers is to have your own good cards in your deck that do things. For example, you could play a creature and attack with it.

Yea maybe the'll print an efficient counterspell

dka had nephalia seakite, bone to ash, and griptide, and I think they've done something similar since. It's not unimaginable that there's a 4 mana flash guy or repel or something

also 4 mana isn't efficient for a counterspell

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edit: double post

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

tell your friend to "get good"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

dka had nephalia seakite, bone to ash, and griptide, and I think they've done something similar since. It's not unimaginable that there's a 4 mana flash guy or repel or something

also 4 mana isn't efficient for a counterspell

If my limited opponent is playing a bunch of 4 mana counterspells I'm not scared at all though. If he's running effecient counterspells and a draw engine then that's when I start getting a little nervous.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

If my limited opponent is playing a bunch of 4 mana counterspells I'm not scared at all though. If he's running effecient counterspells and a draw engine then that's when I start getting a little nervous.

well the point I was driving at is when your blue opponent passed the turn on turn 4 in DII you had to try to figure out which trick they had. Something similar could happen again.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Drown in Exile = RIP Aristocrats decks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Drown in Exile = RIP Aristocrats decks.

And I was so excited for the 3/3 flash that let's you pay C: put scions on the board for everything that you had die this turn.

:sigh:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

well the point I was driving at is when your blue opponent passed the turn on turn 4 in DII you had to try to figure out which trick they had. Something similar could happen again.

Yea I don't actually think its a bad card but I've done super well in BFZ drafts just curving out and running over people who get obsessed with the idea of it being a slow, synergy based format, and forget to draft anything that can actually block.

I think people are going to overvalue it a lot, it's insanely slow and a 1/2 body is not relevant since nobody is using scion tokens to beat down without a mass pump spell or something.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hellsau posted:

1 mana Azure Mage? Whole lotta LSV drafts are gonna start with that.

1/2 is so much worse than 2/1 though.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Frozen_flame posted:

"Skinning Tendrils"1BB
Sorcery

Devoid

-----

Man this standard is going to have like 8 board wipes now isn't it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Why is grove of the burnwillows so goddamn expensive now that punishing fires is banned? Is it seriously just being a (non-mandatory) 4-of in Tron?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Why is grove of the burnwillows so goddamn expensive now that punishing fires is banned? Is it seriously just being a (non-mandatory) 4-of in Tron?

It's basically Taiga in GR Tron.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I can't wait for absurd rally combos with that new dude who makes all your nerds you sacrifice into eldrazi spawns, which you can then sacrifice for tons of mana while draining with those nerds who drain

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Also it's a 4 of in many legacy decks that do still run Punishing Fire.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think rally is ever beating Kalitas who on that face of things is maindeckable.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah and it owns

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

These Planeswalkers matters cards are odd to say the least.

And holy balls that flavor text is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Play Abzan assault formation. 5 and 6 toughness attackers ftw

• Locked thread