Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kid sinister posted:

The code isn't just about safety either. Remember how I complained about that one box was crammed way too full? If you have that may wires, code dictates using a bigger box. Certain parts of the code are simply to make the job easier. Some people just like doing it the hard way I guess.

What's a good book to pick up to show the proper way for me to unfuck this stupid poo poo? I can tell it's not done well but I need some sort of reference how to do it right. kastein probably has an answer to this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Slanderer posted:

I drive by this extremely inconvenient fire hydrant every so often

This power pole in the middle of the slip-lane was installed about a year before the intersection was completed. For a log time it only had a witches-hat in front of it.

It actually took months of public protest and vandalism ("FIX THIS loving INTERSECTION") before they finished it as shittily as you see here. (Give Way indeed.)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 30, 2015

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Slanderer posted:

I drive by this extremely inconvenient fire hydrant every so often

I was gonna say that's the owner's fault for having such an obnoxiously wide driveway, then I realized it was probably widened in order to work around the hydrant.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

couldcareless posted:

I was gonna say that's the owner's fault for having such an obnoxiously wide driveway, then I realized it was probably widened in order to work around the hydrant.

My guess is it's a shared driveway

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those houses were probably built before cars and driveways were a thing so there was just a nice garden between the houses. Later they jammed a garage or surface parking out back and built a shared driveway, but oops there's a hydrant right between the two properties already.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, I've got this white insulation around the pipe that feeds hot water from my boiler to all the radiators. What are the odds it's asbestos?
http://imgur.com/a/iTKLw

The house was built in 1912, but the boiler itself is newer (50s or 60s would be my guess). But there was a boiler there before, just coal powered rather than the natural gas now. So it could be original to the house, or it could be the same age as the boiler, or it could have been put in at some other point.

Also, any suggestions on where I could send some samples to be tested, and/or what I should do with it?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Pretty high chance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, any suggestions on where I could send some samples to be tested, and/or what I should do with it?

Is it actively shedding or anything? Just leave it in place if you can. It's installation and removal of asbestos that causes problems, but installed stuff is fine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I moved a book case into the basement (and I have a second) and I had to slip it between the wall and the pipe, and it bumped the pipe a bit:

I've got a second bookcase to put there, and then obviously stuff in the book case. There's also some other storage stuff around that wall. "don't touch" is probably a pretty workable solution overall though, for this situation.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

FISHMANPET posted:

So, I've got this white insulation around the pipe that feeds hot water from my boiler to all the radiators. What are the odds it's asbestos?

The house was built in 1912, but the boiler itself is newer (50s or 60s would be my guess). But there was a boiler there before, just coal powered rather than the natural gas now. So it could be original to the house, or it could be the same age as the boiler, or it could have been put in at some other point.

Very high chance of that containing asbestos. Leave it alone unless it's actively falling apart or you are doing work on that pipe.

If it is falling apart there are encapsulation products to prevent it from shedding further and if you want to remove it and reinsulate there are safe ways to do that as well.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I had a very similar bit of asbestos wrap removed when I got a new furnace installed about 5 years ago. It had existed unmolested for 60+ years, but was about $1200 to get it removed. Best advice is to leave it alone and not bang poo poo into it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

sirr0bin posted:

if you want to remove it and reinsulate there are safe ways to do that as well.
Note that these ways typically boil down to "hire someone who is qualified to deal with that poo poo"

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

What's a good book to pick up to show the proper way for me to unfuck this stupid poo poo? I can tell it's not done well but I need some sort of reference how to do it right. kastein probably has an answer to this one

Well, the latest NEC codebook is available on the NFPA's website for free. You do have to register an account though, and you can't print it.

The problem is that it reads like a law book, constantly referring back on other sections.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Well, the latest NEC codebook is available on the NFPA's website for free.
Barely. It is such a pain in the rear end to read on the website. You can't search, or jump to a specific paragraph, so you have to endure the page turn animation while looking for what you want. Have fun trying to thumb between the chapter full of tables and the code you're reading. Oh and the window inside the browser window is smaller than the text so you have to scroll even if you're monitor would otherwise be tall enough. I can adjust the window size, but it puts the page selection slider on top of the text.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Those houses were probably built before cars and driveways were a thing so there was just a nice garden between the houses. Later they jammed a garage or surface parking out back and built a shared driveway, but oops there's a hydrant right between the two properties already.

The local council should have made it so whoever is putting in the driveway has to pay to shift the hydrant. The fact that they clearly didn't indicates that someone at the council hosed up and approved it without making them shift the hydrant, or the developers did it without council approval.

If the hydrant was a buried hydrant this wouldn't even be a problem for anyone. I wonder how many times that hydrant gets damaged by cars backing into it?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

The local council should have made it so whoever is putting in the driveway has to pay to shift the hydrant. The fact that they clearly didn't indicates that someone at the council hosed up and approved it without making them shift the hydrant, or the developers did it without council approval.

If the hydrant was a buried hydrant this wouldn't even be a problem for anyone. I wonder how many times that hydrant gets damaged by cars backing into it?

Local council? lmao this is Pittsburgh, and who loving knows how old those houses are. This whole dumb city is a mess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hey it's a die wash

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I think I'd rather take my chances with chemicals in my eye.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Hey it's a die wash

Who doesn't want a shocking surprise when you can't see?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

canyoneer posted:

Hey it's a die wash

I liked that the Reddit post for that claimed it was newly installed when it looks like it was fished out of a dumpster.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

I liked that the Reddit post for that claimed it was newly installed when it looks like it was fished out of a dumpster.

To be fair, both things could be are probably true.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Fire... "escape?" :confused:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Airconswitch posted:

Fire... "escape?" :confused:

I guess technically if that connects two rooms, going out one window and into another then out that room's door could be egress #2. May have been code at some point?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
It looks like there is a firewall between the left side and right side, probably two separate buildings.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
It's conjoined apartments without breaking the walls between.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The tornadoes in Dallas TX recently have uncovered a scary bit of crappy construction in an elementary school.

quote:

Marshall said he toured the damaged school with school officials this week, and he was shocked by the lack of proper attachments linking the walls to the rest of the structure.

Someone “tried to nail a steel bottom plate to the concrete,” he said. “There was no connection [between] walls, there was no connection at the roof, and it was simply nailed to the concrete foundation. That’s not going to cut it in my book, and it won’t cut it in any [building] code I know.

“You don’t need to be an engineer to understand this stuff,” he said. “The school officials, they saw this, and they knew immediately that this was a real problem.”

A spokeswoman for Red Oak ISD, Adi Bryant, said the school was built in 2008. In a press release issued Friday, Red Oak ISD named Ratliff Constructors as the construction company. Multiple calls to officials at Ratcliff have not been returned.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So the whole wall was just a big chunk of structure barely held in place with a few nails????

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

The Black and Decker Complete Guide to Wiring is hands down the best book for a homeowner who wants to touch any electrical stuff. Tons of great pictures and easy diagrams, and covers everything under your roof. The latest edition is like 20$ on Amazon, but it's probably not too different than the five dollar one on thriftbooks.

They've also got an advanced wiring guide, as well as a codes for homeowners book that's pretty good. Honestly, their diy guide book series is probably about the only good thing Black and Decker makes these days.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Oooohhhh my god. Whoever built that is now on EVERYONE'S poo poo list. I hope they are prosecuted with the rage of a million PTA members.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

OSU_Matthew posted:

The Black and Decker Complete Guide to Wiring is hands down the best book for a homeowner who wants to touch any electrical stuff. Tons of great pictures and easy diagrams, and covers everything under your roof. The latest edition is like 20$ on Amazon, but it's probably not too different than the five dollar one on thriftbooks.

They've also got an advanced wiring guide, as well as a codes for homeowners book that's pretty good. Honestly, their diy guide book series is probably about the only good thing Black and Decker makes these days.

Not sure of the status of this, but it's available as a .pdf.
http://www.ebooksbucket.com/uploads/engineering/electrical/The_Complete_Guide_to_Wiring.pdf

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can confirm. I used that book to add another 20A circuit for all my AV/media server stuff in the family when I bought my house.

I actually buy copies of the Black and Decker DIY books as housewarming gifts for friends who become first time home-owners.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

That edition is for the 2008 NEC book. They update that codebook every 3 years with the latest being the 2014 book. The biggest differences since then for residential work mostly have to do with AFCI and GFCI requirements.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Baronjutter posted:

So the whole wall was just a big chunk of structure barely held in place with a few nails????

From the picture it looks like there may have been a bit of structural Romex involved as well, but for the most part yes it looks like gravity and a few dozen nails 1/3" into the concrete was all that was keeping it standing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

With the quality of many buildings I've seen in DFW, I can't say I'm too surprised. I mean, I see houses (not cheap houses either) that are only a year or two old that already have visible cracks in the outside walls more often than I should.

Shifty Pony posted:

From the picture it looks like there may have been a bit of structural Romex involved as well, but for the most part yes it looks like gravity and a few dozen nails 1/3" into the concrete was all that was keeping it standing.

And I'm pretty sure romex isn't allowed in commercial buildings here either. :cripes:

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

kid sinister posted:

That edition is for the 2008 NEC book. They update that codebook every 3 years with the latest being the 2014 book. The biggest differences since then for residential work mostly have to do with AFCI and GFCI requirements.

They update it every 3 years but adoption of the actual code itself can take longer. At least in Alberta I know they don't get around to adopting the CEC until about a year to a year and a half after the latest revision.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

FISHMANPET posted:

Take this with a very heavy grain of skepticism, but it appears that there could be a marginal chance that it's already encapsulated with rewettable pipe lagging.

Even if it is though, it's clearly damaged in sections, and just remember that there is no safe exposure level to asbestos once it's friable and airborne. Something like pipe wrap, I'd get a professional to look at it.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

I call bullshit. Those nails are Hili powder actuated fasteners or equivalent. While the top of the wall shouldn't have blown out like that, there is nothing against the code (IBC 2012) with those fasteners. They are there to keep the sill plate in place, not resist the forces of the entire wall, especially in a lever action. That being said, there is still a ton of poo poo wrong in the picture.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

morethanjake32 posted:

I call bullshit. Those nails are Hili powder actuated fasteners or equivalent. While the top of the wall shouldn't have blown out like that, there is nothing against the code (IBC 2012) with those fasteners. They are there to keep the sill plate in place, not resist the forces of the entire wall, especially in a lever action. That being said, there is still a ton of poo poo wrong in the picture.

NVM. Read your stuff wrong and was wrong about other stuff.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 1, 2016

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This is what wiring is supposed to look like, right?

There were wirenuts, they fell off when I touched them.

Not pictured: The coil of abandoned live wire with some electrical tape on the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

devicenull posted:

This is what wiring is supposed to look like, right?

There were wirenuts, they fell off when I touched them.

Not pictured: The coil of abandoned live wire with some electrical tape on the end.

I don't know what you're complaining about, at least they put a small modicum of effort into taping the live end :v:

The boxes should be covered and secured to the joists, at the very least. Looks like the wiring is also rubbing going into the box, which could wear through the sheathing, so careful touching the boxes... I'd definitely have a voltage sniffer handy. I also see you have some of the fine vintage rubber coated braided wire that's liberally hidden away between the receptacles in my house too, and the same doorbell voltage transformer that's in my basement :hfive:

Careful, that stuff falls apart of you look at it wrong. The slightest twist and the rubber insulation is toast. Is your house pre WWII too?