Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurzon posted:

-When Han recovers the Millenium Falcon, he says that his ship's transponder broadcasted its location, which is why he found it so quickly.

He... did say this. He even say that if they found the Falcon so quickly the First Order can't be far behind.

Kurzon posted:

-Maz gives Rey some basic pointers in the Force. Obi-Wan taught Luke for a few hours in ANH, so this is enough to make Rey's abilities plausible.

Perhaps such as "close your eyes, feel the force, let it flow through you"? As she did in the film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kurzon posted:

-When Kylo kills Han, he doesn't whine about his emotional problems. Instead, he points out that he is responsible for too many deaths and the galaxy will never forgive him. He's in too deep to go back.
:laffo:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Oh gently caress off. My suggestions are brilliant and you're just butthurt you didn't think of them first.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kurzon posted:

Oh gently caress off. My suggestions are brilliant and you're just butthurt you didn't think of them first.

But seriously, source your quotes.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
My source is my brilliant mind.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Would you say Kylo is crawling in his skin with wounds that will not heal?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Palpatine's kids have been in the EU before. Rey is an orphan not unlike Ken.

If I could change one thing about Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull the countdown timer on the rocketsled would use Nixie Tubes not LEDs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Quixotic1 posted:

Luke:"Your name is Rey, Rey Palpatine"

But in seriousness my nephew thinks their might be something to Rey's accent,as British=evil in star wars. though there was Obi and Mon Motha(not sure on her). Or maybe,just maybe we are finally moving beyond your race defined by the first character of your species that appears on screen or in the books.

Also a podcast I listened to read the new canon books and apparently it said that Poe's parents were given a force sensitive tree and planted it in their backyard. I'm afraid this is a setup for all three new cast members becoming Jedi or at least force sensitive and hence the name of the film.

British actors in literally every American movie where being British isn't a part of their character = no accent.

British actors in an American space opera = British accent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gatts posted:

Would you say Kylo is crawling in his skin with wounds that will not heal?

No, that is Darth Vader.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-not-a-fan-of-retro-star-wars-approach-20151230

Apologies if this was already posted, but the last time I checked this thread, there were 400 posts.

Lucas complains that Disney shut him out of pretty much everything to do with TFA. It's almost like he had a chance to revive Star Wars and completely hosed it up...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Prequels are better than this poo poo. Disney has better marketing.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Krispy Kareem posted:

British actors in literally every American movie where being British isn't a part of their character = no accent.

British actors in an American space opera = British accent.

John Boyega doesn't use an accent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

H13 posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-not-a-fan-of-retro-star-wars-approach-20151230

Apologies if this was already posted, but the last time I checked this thread, there were 400 posts.

Lucas complains that Disney shut him out of pretty much everything to do with TFA. It's almost like he had a chance to revive Star Wars and completely hosed it up...

Is George freaking Lucas claiming that he never tried to make intentionally retro movies? :psyduck:

That's got to be poor phrasing.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Is George freaking Lucas claiming that he never tried to make intentionally retro movies? :psyduck:

That's got to be poor phrasing.

He's saying they differed over how much it would resemble ANH/the OT, which is something most people have commented on whether they liked it or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

He's saying they differed over how much it would resemble ANH/the OT, which is something most people have commented on whether they liked it or not.

Yes, but he is in large part responsible for Indiana Jones which is an intentional visual and stylistic throwback to films that would have been retro to him.

Lucas absolutely went for a retro callback that was intended to bring to mind older films people enjoyed.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 31, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, but he is in large part responsible for Indiana Jones which is an intentional visual and stylistic throwback to films that would have been retro to him.

Lucas absolutely went for a retro callback that was intended to bring to mind older films people enjoyed.

Which is why I said he means "retro" in the sense of "retro Star Wars". He didn't want it to be so similar to the original trilogy, they did. Again, whether one has a negative or positive opinion on the movie, the settings, ships, and plot are all very similar to the original ones. Many feel that's exactly what was needed, but Lucas would have rather it be more distinct from both the prequels and the originals. There's a difference between paying homage to older films and making a sequel that's extremely similar to the original. I personally liked The Force Awakens a lot, but I do fear that Disney is way more concerned with hitting the right buttons for the audience than it is with telling an interesting story in an interesting way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

I personally liked The Force Awakens a lot, but I do fear that Disney is way more concerned with hitting the right buttons for the audience than it is with telling an interesting story in an interesting way.

I think Disney absolutely was playing it safe in terms of being familiar but I think if they were really concerned about never risking the audience we'd have gotten a Kylo Ren who was a very very different character. If anything I'd say the response to Anakin in the prequels probably should have made them even more gunshy about making a villain who is Darth Vader But Kind Of A Whiny Babyface for fears of the response. (Which you do see from some people who complain that Kylo Ren isn't threatening enough or has a dorky face or whatever.)

Rey and Finn are absolutely real safe characters more or less but Ren at least shows they're willing to do something that risks alienating their audience if done poorly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 31, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think Disney absolutely was playing it safe in terms of being familiar but I think if they were really concerned about never risking the audience we'd have gotten a Kylo Ren who was a very very different character. If anything I'd say the response to Anakin in the prequels probably should have made them even more gunshy about making a villain who is Darth Vader But Kind Of A Whiny Babyface for fears of the response. (Which you do see from some people who complain that Kylo Ren isn't threatening enough or has a dorky face or whatever.)

Rey and Finn are absolutely real safe characters more or less but Ren at least shows they're willing to do something that risks alienating their audience if done poorly.

Yeah, I think that's partly why Ren may be the most intriguing of the new main characters, even though I liked all of them. Whereas with Vader we originally see him as a fully formed villain and found out years later how it all went down, Ren was really almost like the deuteragonist in that we're seeing him become a bad guy the way Rey is becoming a good guy. I mean, it's not like it's unprecedented, Breaking Bad could be characterized similarly, but it is pretty unique for these kinds of fantasy stories.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I really dont get this fear of Disney making everything safe and not taking risks. So far every choice theyve made going forward indicates otherwise. Theyve hired auteur directors and seem to be giving them a lot of room to work. TFA was safe because they had to rebuild the foundation before they could start taking risks and pushing Star Wars in a direction we havent seen yet.

I dont think Gareth Edwards going for a "war movie" with Rogue One is playing it safe in the slightest. Hiring Rian Johnson for Ep. 8, a guy who started off directing indies and then a genre scifi film is not a safe choice by the standards people seem to apply to that term. Its not like they are hiring guys who makes movies like Clash of the Titans and TMNT.

If anything, Disney/LucasFilm should feel pretty comfortable going forward and taking more risks to build a stronger legacy of quality than Lucas did. Kennedy and co. are probably very keen as to what made Star Wars work. A combination of grand vision by an auteur honed in and focused by the necessities of Hollywood filmmaking. Their choice of writers/directors is very indicative of this.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 31, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I hope you're right.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Can't loving wait for Episode VIII's time travel reveal

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
also Rey Fett

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

H13 posted:

"Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas said. "I made them completely different – different planets, different spaceships to make it new."

Yes and in this one we have a desert planet that isn't loving Tatooine for once.
:goonsay:

Edit: Rey is almost assuredly a Skywalker, though why you people think Ren had anything to do with her abandonment is beyond me... he's supposed to be not that much older than her, he would have been like 10-12 based on her age.

I get the feeling they're going to do the twin thing again, if only because of all the emphasis on "our SON" and Kylo specifically calling out Rey for looking at Han as a father figure. Han also has a pretty somber tone with her, and looks almost proud when she's kicking rear end. It's no accident that the actress even resembles Leia and has a sort of weirdo Luke upbringing.

It's obvious but I don't mind it. It'll make for some great tension between her and Kylo, particularly as she surpasses him. It'll also give Luke an Obi Wan arc... Kylo was his Vader, now Rey will be his own version of himself, the apprentice he trains correctly.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 31, 2015

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kurzon posted:

I have been thinking of ways I would rewrite the script to this movie.

-When Finn lands on Jakku, he uses a navigational aid from his stormtrooper belt to find the town.

-When Han recovers the Millenium Falcon, he says that his ship's transponder broadcasted its location, which is why he found it so quickly.

-Maz gives Rey some basic pointers in the Force. Obi-Wan taught Luke for a few hours in ANH, so this is enough to make Rey's abilities plausible.

-Starkiller Base is less outrageous. Instead of carving that colossal canyon, the base is more like a skin, carved into the crust of the planet.

-The destruction of the Republic by Starkiller is not visible from Takodana. Instead, they learn of it through the Force or through communications.

-When Kylo kills Han, he doesn't whine about his emotional problems. Instead, he points out that he is responsible for too many deaths and the galaxy will never forgive him. He's in too deep to go back.

-When R2 and BB8 combine their parts of the map, BB8's piece is much smaller. At least ten times smaller.

-Leia accompanies Rey to visit Luke.

this is deeply dumb

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

"Every movie, I worked very hard to make them different," Lucas said. "I made them completely different – different planets, different spaceships to make it new."

Yes and in this one we have a desert planet that isn't loving Tatooine for once.

So Lucas is Star Citizen now?

I get his sour grapes. His prequels had to compete with 30 years of nostalgia and came up short. All J.J. Abrams had to do was not make another Phantom Menace.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

Han DOES say this.

Kurzon posted:

-When Finn lands on Jakku, he uses a navigational aid from his stormtrooper belt to find the town.

Do you really not get why Finn strips off his stormtrooper gear and wanders lost in the desert?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Fuzz posted:

Edit: Rey is almost assuredly a Skywalker, though why you people think Ren had anything to do with her abandonment is beyond me... he's supposed to be not that much older than her, he would have been like 10-12 based on her age.

I get the feeling they're going to do the twin thing again, if only because of all the emphasis on "our SON" and Kylo specifically calling out Rey for looking at Han as a father figure. Han also has a pretty somber tone with her, and looks almost proud when she's kicking rear end. It's no accident that the actress even resembles Leia and has a sort of weirdo Luke upbringing.

It's obvious but I don't mind it. It'll make for some great tension between her and Kylo, particularly as she surpasses him. It'll also give Luke an Obi Wan arc... Kylo was his Vader, now Rey will be his own version of himself, the apprentice he trains correctly.

He is around 10 years older than her, per the production notes, and Jakku is totally Tantooine. Lucas was discussing the aesthetic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AccountSupervisor posted:

I dont think Gareth Edwards going for a "war movie" with Rogue One is playing it safe in the slightest.

I haven't been following who's doing the rest of the movies, I just mixed this name up with Garth Evans and was like "holy poo poo Disney :aaaaa: " for a second because I know they already had Iko Uwais, Yayan Ruhian, and Cecep Arif Rahman in and doing action choreography work for Force Awakens.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Do you really not get why Finn strips off his stormtrooper gear and wanders lost in the desert?

Symbolically or practically? Finn needed to wander the desert, lost for 40 minutes, until the Force God was pleased.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

team overhead smash posted:

You're forgetting overpowering a trained Jedi/Sith in mental arm-wrestling and seeing into the past. The former is especially important because Luke was presented as pretty much impotent compared to Vader in ANH.

That's not what happened. He peers into her mind and can see the island on the planet the map was pointing to, and presses for more information. After much effort, Rey finally gains confidence and tries to fight back, unwittingly reading Ren's thoughts enough to discover a prominent inadequacy of his (something that he probably thinks about a lot considering what we've seen). This is not particularly special, especially in contrast to Ren who has more discipline with his use the Force.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AccountSupervisor posted:

I really dont get this fear of Disney making everything safe and not taking risks. So far every choice theyve made going forward indicates otherwise.

Their treatment of the MCU (a similar property in terms of marketing potential and release schedule) and the actual text we have with The Force Awakens.

Also the guy who directed Jurassic World is not an auteur director.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Fuzz posted:

I really really don't foresee Rey and Kylo being siblings at all. And Kylo definitely didn't have anything to do with dropping Rey off on Jakku. What purpose would Han and Leia have in abandoning their almost-guaranteed force sensitive daughter after what happened with their force sensitive son? Wouldn't they have been slightly curious about this girl on Jakku who would have been the same age as their daughter? Why were they so concerned with bringing Kylo home rather than welcoming Rey? Finally, why wouldn't they mention her at all when discussing Kylo? It's either horrible writing or they're simply cousins.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

computer parts posted:

Also the guy who directed Jurassic World is not an auteur director.

He's not but that wouldn't be a problem if he at least had a Michael Curtiz level of competence (I don't think he does, and even if he did he'd still need an incredibly solid screenplay).

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Fuzz posted:

Edit: Rey is almost assuredly a Skywalker,

Ahem.

Maz Kanata posted:

...You already know the truth … Whoever you were waiting for on Jakku, they’re never coming back. But there’s someone who still can.

Rey posted:

...Luke.

And no, her being a twin of Ben Solo makes even less sense. Neither Leia nor Han know who she is, never mention a daughter, and Ben never says a word about her potentially being his sister. You would think that would be a pretty big deal that he could try to use to sway her to the Dark Side a la Darth Vader trying to sway his son Luke.

quote:

though why you people think Ren had anything to do with her abandonment is beyond me... he's supposed to be not that much older than her, he would have been like 10-12 based on her age.

She's looks about 7-9 in the bit where she's left on Jakku, and

Danger posted:

He is around 10 years older than her, per the production notes

This would make him close to an adult (about the same age as Luke in ANH) at the time he killed his fellow students. Rey is supposed to be about that age in TFA, and Ren could easily be about 30.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Rey is 19 (specifically noted to be the same age as Luke in ANH) and Kylo is 28-29.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Shoren posted:

And Kylo definitely didn't have anything to do with dropping Rey off on Jakku.

The event is too vague to count this out. If you take the moment of the Force vision at face value, you could insinuate that Rey was at Luke's Jedi temple with her Force trainee parents, and they were killed by Ben and his Knights of Ren (the close-up where he stabs a dude who seems to be holding a lightsaber, then wide shot of a field of bodies in front of Rey). We then see Rey being dropped off with Unkar on Jakku against her will.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shoren posted:

I really really don't foresee Rey and Kylo being siblings at all. And Kylo definitely didn't have anything to do with dropping Rey off on Jakku. What purpose would Han and Leia have in abandoning their almost-guaranteed force sensitive daughter after what happened with their force sensitive son? Wouldn't they have been slightly curious about this girl on Jakku who would have been the same age as their daughter? Why were they so concerned with bringing Kylo home rather than welcoming Rey? Finally, why wouldn't they mention her at all when discussing Kylo? It's either horrible writing or they're simply cousins.

The twist is that Rey was evil and murdered all of the new Jedi as a young child so Luke force-mindwiped her and they sent her to some far out shithole.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
If Kylo dropped Rey off on Jakku I would imagine he'd want to kill her to further commit himself to the Dark Side. Even more than having living parents, his failure to kill a Jedi simply because she was a child would be emblematic of his failure to commit himself to the Dark Side.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

The twist is that Rey was evil and murdered all of the new Jedi as a young child so Luke force-mindwiped her and they sent her to some far out shithole.

this is an interesting idea in a way because we've seen small little nibbles of referencing KOTOR and this is plot of KOTOR basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

can one of the new spinoff movies be a cameron poe and poe dameron crossover teamup flick, tia

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 31, 2015

• Locked thread