Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

These are the best FNMs. I'm sure yall have the guy in your LGS who loves to give commentary on what he would have done different and asks why you're running card X instead of Y because Y is so powerful and seems offended you're not playing like he would.

I am a Milwaukee goon and have met Erin Campbell. Her reputation is well-deserved. She fits your description to a T and likes to do such charming things as:

-asking (often young) players she lost to why they side-boarded the way they did so that she can call them out for netdecking
-whining about handshakes and "good game" being offered to her when she loses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

Playing the holiday cube is a depressing reminder that new sets are focused grouped and played-safe to the absolute maximum, and that there will most likely never be fun or exciting cards ever again. This is like 30% sarcasm.
Did you miss the whole Delve thing

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Should have been discard 2 unless you discard a planeswalker card.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

meanolmrcloud posted:

Playing the holiday cube is a depressing reminder that new sets are focused grouped and played-safe to the absolute maximum, and that there will most likely never be fun or exciting cards ever again. This is like 30% sarcasm.

Rally/Aristocrats is one of my more favorite decks in recent memory because it feels like someone combed an entire format for weird synergies and made a deck out of cards that weren't explicitly designed to be relevant to each other, rather than just picking your clan or shard (or uh, nephilim) and then playing all the cards that they clearly pushed for you to play.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I mean technically this isn't only reliant on Mythics, since you get the Draw 3 Discard 2, but even then Worse Compulsive Research at rare isn't like, something I wanna defend

technically it's not strictly worse since you can reuse it if you have a way of returning it to your hand :pseudo:

(I guess you could return compulsive research to your hand too, but it's harder to find cards that do that, probably)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I dig the Oath of Jace and look forward to good characters getting them. It's basically a sorcery with a bonus legendary aura, I think the ETB makes it playable in limited. I played Mardu Walkers for a spell so these could get me back in that.

Just a shame it looks like black won't have one (unless Ob Nix gets one, an oath against the rest)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Did you miss the whole Delve thing

Delve is extremely strong but I don't know if I would ever categorize it as fun or exciting. Like almost every single good Delve card is just a card that is overcosted but good if you can pay for the Delve cost instead.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I bet all the Oaths are going to have the same cringe-worthy flavour text. What a treat

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Why isn't there a card with jealousy in the title? I wanted to quote the T Swifty pic with it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Why isn't there a card with jealousy in the title? I wanted to quote the T Swifty pic with it.

Yeah, closest thing I could find is covetous. Kind of surprising that there isn't a stealing card that has the name jealous or envious in it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Rally/Aristocrats is one of my more favorite decks in recent memory because it feels like someone combed an entire format for weird synergies and made a deck out of cards that weren't explicitly designed to be relevant to each other, rather than just picking your clan or shard (or uh, nephilim) and then playing all the cards that they clearly pushed for you to play.
I think it highlights the advantage of having similar themes in adjacent draft formats. The sacrifice decks from FRF/DTK, M:O and BFZ would't be good enough for standard on their own, but together they do something interesting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I wonder if this theme is creative flexing its muscles since they're the ones in charge of planeswalkers.

Rares that rely on specific mystics just strikes me as ugly design. (I've never even opened a pw yet.)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I opened a Sorin Markov once, it disappeared into the same hole that claimed my textless Blightning

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I opened a couple of Garruks in Lowryn limited, but I think that's it.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
BG Manland was spoiled on TCG - http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13036

Hissing Quagmire
Hissing Quagmire enters the battlefield tapped

T: Add B or G to your Mana pool

1 G B - 2/2 Black and Green Elemental Creature with Deathtouch until end of turn

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I've opened, uh

OG Jace
Mill Jace
RTR Jace (foil)
Garruk Relentless (foil!)
Nicol Bolas

And I think that's it. There's probably some kind of cruel joke in the fact that more than half of mine have been Jace.

Dehtraen posted:

BG Manland was spoiled on TCG - http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=13036

Hissing Quagmire
Hissing Quagmire enters the battlefield tapped

T: Add B or G to your Mana pool

1 G B - 2/2 Black and Green Elemental Creature with Deathtouch until end of turn

Awesome, a new name to use when constructing lewd remarks out of Magic cards.

I'm going to attack with my mystic snake into your hissing quagmire

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ThePeavstenator posted:

I am a Milwaukee goon and have met Erin Campbell. Her reputation is well-deserved. She fits your description to a T and likes to do such charming things as:

-asking (often young) players she lost to why they side-boarded the way they did so that she can call them out for netdecking
-whining about handshakes and "good game" being offered to her when she loses

Fun story. I played against her once at External Extravaganza 2. I was on twin and she was on that loampox deck. G1 I twinned her, then she had to go to the restroom, was gone for like 10 minutes while a judge hung out and we chatted. She came back and I guess the line for the restroom was to long or something she didn't get to go. g2 she made a weird play error she tried to raven's crime with no land in her GY i think, I pointed it out to her, she got super flustered signed the match slip and took off. I guess she had to piss so bad she couldn't play magic. She also complained to a friend who was perched on her shoulder about burn and twin the entire time.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Serperoth posted:

MaRo's true face shines through sometimes:

What am I meant to be seeing here?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I couldn't say how many planeswalkers i have opened but i have also grinded out a really embarrassing amount of events. It's at least two dozen, including a pool that had an unbelievably useless double karn liberated.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Allstone posted:

What am I meant to be seeing here?

"They tried to make an exciting card and I tried to stop them"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JerryLee posted:

technically it's not strictly worse since you can reuse it if you have a way of returning it to your hand :pseudo:

hey bitch, do you see the word strictly in my post

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Serperoth posted:

Pretty sure he was trying to stop it on the basis of Mental Misstep being broken in half, ruining Legacy and Modern for the period it was legal in those formats?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Serperoth posted:

I mean, trying to stop Mental Misstep isn't, by itself, a bad thing.

The issue is that Maro doesn't make cool cards/environments to replace whatever ones he cockblocks, he just makes Siege Rhino instead (I don't know if Rhino is actually one of his designs, but the point is that this is all happening on his watch)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

The issue is that Maro doesn't make cool cards/environments to replace whatever ones he cockblocks, he just makes Siege Rhino instead (I don't know if Rhino is actually one of his designs, but the point is that this is all happening on his watch)

Siege Rhino, just like Thragtusk, is a card built to stop a strong strategy/card. They need to stop doing that because they tend to make the answer card very powerful in its own right.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Pretty sure he was trying to stop it on the basis of Mental Misstep being broken in half, ruining Legacy and Modern for the period it was legal in those formats?

JerryLee posted:

I'm aware that Mental Misstep isn't exactly fair, but his wording lended itself easily to :thejoke:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Siege Rhino, just like Thragtusk, is a card built to stop a strong strategy/card. They need to stop doing that because they tend to make the answer card very powerful in its own right.

When the answer is a silver bullet like Grafdigger's Cage, it tends to be fine. It's only when the reaction card is a ridiculously strong play all on its own that it seems to become cancer.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh god, I know Planeswalkers are difficult design space but come the gently caress on don't make a cycle of lovely enchantments.

gently caress.

Fake Edit: also does anybody know where that website that lets you print proxies is? I need a couple for EDH tonight, I'm just gonna sleeve them up over some basics.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Serperoth posted:

"They made a single mistake that resulted in a loving miserable environment and I tried to stop them".
Like am I meant to fault him for having too much agency or not enough? Like half of the recent stories have been him not getting his way, but people also have issues with the new cards so ???
Why would you think siege rhino was a maro card? Iirc the story with that was that it didn't have trample but it was changed because the future league was testing with cmc 2 first response. My understanding is that future league is development, not design, so even assuming he designed it he didn't make the eventual card text and he's never the person that sets the cmc.
Come on, there's plenty of things to criticise him about, but this was just nonsensical.

is that good fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 31, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

giggity

I was kind of hoping it was something less lame than a 2/2, but Deathtouch is pretty interesting as a roadblock, I guess.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 31, 2015

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Oh god, I know Planeswalkers are difficult design space but come the gently caress on don't make a cycle of lovely enchantments.

gently caress.

Fake Edit: also does anybody know where that website that lets you print proxies is? I need a couple for EDH tonight, I'm just gonna sleeve them up over some basics.

magiccards.info has and option for that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The implication about Siege Rhino being okay without trample is pretty good, i like that.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

The implication about Siege Rhino being okay without trample is pretty good, i like that.

Siege rhino would be fine with a higher cmc, which, I repeat, is a development decision, not a design decision.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
design never fails it is only failed

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Hey, remember when we thought they might be reprinting the Exodus oaths because the black one is the only one on the reserved list and they conspicuously excluded a black planeswalker from the cycle :coffeepal:

gently caress Wizards.

Yeah gently caress wizards for not printing a legacy-banned card that enables hellish turn 2 griselbrand plays in modern and windmill slamming poo poo like Kozilek in standard.

And three other cards that no one cares about except they share a cycle with Oath of Druids.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

:yeah:

This, I like.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Hey, remember when we thought they might be reprinting the Exodus oaths because the black one is the only one on the reserved list and they conspicuously excluded a black planeswalker from the cycle :coffeepal:

gently caress Wizards.

You do know that was just a joke I made right

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Finally a way to play Signal the Rats in 100 card singleton

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:swoon:

This makes me wonder how does this work in correlation to Animar, does C have to be paid, or can you reduce it to nothing free.

Fiend Computer posted:

magiccards.info has and option for that.

Thanks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serperoth posted:

:yeah:

This, I like.

For the lulz, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've had terrible luck with pulling planeswalkers - GTC Gideon, Lili of the Dark Realms, and Tibalt :negative:

That's really cool.

• Locked thread