Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Schmitty42 posted:

Hi bartenders! I'm not in the industry and am a 38-year-old corporate woman who is a regular at a couple of bars in SF. My questions are about how you see regulars in general and women specifically.

1) I'm a regular at a craft cocktail bar. I'll have 5 drinks (and a safety meeting shot of tequila) and be charged $11. I'll pay $20 and get my change then leave $40 on the bar for tip. Too much? Do the bartenders, who I think I'm friends with, just think I'm lame?

2) What do you think about women who drink alone at bars? (I'm cool with it, just curious about the pov from the other side)

what kind of craft cocktail bar only charges $11 for 5 drinks?

that's like 1 decent cocktail at a good bar here in Van, prices there are insane if that's the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
That's because the staff are either stealing from where they work or utilizing their entire comp tab to try to make that $40 tip.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

JawKnee posted:

what kind of craft cocktail bar only charges $11 for 5 drinks?

that's like 1 decent cocktail at a good bar here in Van, prices there are insane if that's the norm.

Yeah, Calgary is about $12-16/cocktail depending on the ingredients. Maybe $7-9 for a happy hour special.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Schmitty42 posted:

Hi bartenders! I'm not in the industry and am a 38-year-old corporate woman who is a regular at a couple of bars in SF. My questions are about how you see regulars in general and women specifically.

2) What do you think about women who drink alone at bars? (I'm cool with it, just curious about the pov from the other side)
I can't answer the first question because I'm in the UK.

No problem with women (or men!) who drink alone at bars. I'm a woman too if that matters. I know some really cool regulars who come in on their own and we have a chat, some of them buy me a drink or two and they can really save a dull shift.

The people on their own who I can't stand (I've had a ton of them recently for some reason) are the "joiners in-ers" - the people who are maybe slightly drunk and/or a bit crazy who go to tables and disturb people in groups and make everyone uncomfortable. It's hard to explain this properly because there are some really chill people on their own who mix well with other people in the bar, but it's the ones who impose themselves to people who clearly want to be left alone. Also they are odd and have conversation starters like "what do you eat for breakfast? Can I tell you about sexy porridge?" or have arguments about other people's gardens. And at some point I have to step in and tell them to not disturb other people.

Hope everyone's Christmas is going ok. Mine's been alright - seems to be less Christmas dickheads this year (but still a few!) Last year my friend at work got "beaten up" with some festive wrapping paper when he refused them service hah. It was awful but really funny. A mate in another bar has nicknamed Christmas idiot drinkers "Jingle Bell-ends".

artificial fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 21, 2015

doginapot
Nov 11, 2004
a dog in a pot

Schmitty42 posted:

1) I'm a regular at a craft cocktail bar. I'll have 5 drinks (and a safety meeting shot of tequila) and be charged $11. I'll pay $20 and get my change then leave $40 on the bar for tip. Too much? Do the bartenders, who I think I'm friends with, just think I'm lame?

DC, similar kind of bar. As a bartender, I value someone who values the house and whatever we're working for. Ideally, a regular who tips the difference of the promo, but we do think about how someone interacts with the guests around them, as well. It's nothing set in stone. You're probably just fine, but be mindful of bartenders idiosyncrasies. I tend to value guests who know the difference between being weeded and being lazy. As far as solo women goes, let your bartender know if someone is bothering you. Guys really like to hit on women without men, they rarely tip well in a cocktail environment, and we're more than happy to keep them moving along.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Keep being cool and you're set. That price tag is insane, so yes, they are either stealing or working the comp tab to death. But as a good patron / person / customer friend you should not concern yourself with it. If one day the price has changed, do not be surprised as owners and managers sometimes crack down on this, but in the meantime, enjoy.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Schmitty42 posted:

They are my favorite. Women strong as poo poo to know they'll shoot down a handful of assholes every time. When in doubt, the bar should already know that if you point behind it, yes, he's your man, and you are flagging him down to ask what's for dinner when he gets off

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Good luck tonight everyone :black101:

I'm stupidly hungover and have been answering FB messages about tickets all day (we're sold out). Looking forward to big staff party after work - I think a few different bars are coming to drink with us after work. It's going to be a good one.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'd be partying after but I'm working the next day. And the day after that. gently caress having nye on a Thursday.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Let the flood of amateur drunks begin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oVzfzuts3o

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Tonight's my first NYE off in 6 years :woop:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hey everyone, I'm wanting to learn more about bartending (and booze in general). Any decent books you guys can recommend on beers and drinks?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i suggest reading the back of a bottle of tullamore dew once each time you finish it until you can recite it by heart, and reading the non-fiction gobledygook in back issues of Modern Drunkard magazine until you feel hungover by perusing their account of Andre the Giant

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
That's not even snarky, really. Go get drunk and ask your friendly neighborhood bartender why they're the only person under 60 drinking Grand Marnier, and why it's usually paired with the cheapest bottled beer

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i'm drunk. please tell me why you are the only person under 60 drinking Grand Marnier and why you pair it with the cheapest bottled beer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

How to bartend:

Learn how to pour accurately, know drinks common to your area/bar, be able to identify drunks, and be social. Voila, you are equipped to be a bartender.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to learn more about bartending (and booze in general). Any decent books you guys can recommend on beers and drinks?

Whisk(e)y Distilled, The Bar Book, PDT, Dead Rabbit, Death & Co, Liquid Intelligence

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

mooyashi posted:

That's not even snarky, really. Go get drunk and ask your friendly neighborhood bartender why they're the only person under 60 drinking Grand Marnier, and why it's usually paired with the cheapest bottled beer

I mean, duh.

Shooting Blanks posted:

How to bartend:

Learn how to pour accurately, know drinks common to your area/bar, be able to identify drunks, and be social. Voila, you are equipped to be a bartender.

The whole thread has basically been expounding this level of simplicity, which is why I'm thinking about it more and more. But I'm a nerd, I have to know needless details!

The Maestro posted:

Whisk(e)y Distilled, The Bar Book, PDT, Dead Rabbit, Death & Co, Liquid Intelligence

Thanks!

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

PDT is outclassed by many other modern bar books IMO. It is mostly recipes which, while great, do not help you become a better bartender. Death and Co. or Liquid Intelligence are much better if you are interested in being a serious cocktail bartender.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Wachepti posted:

PDT is outclassed by many other modern bar books IMO. It is mostly recipes which, while great, do not help you become a better bartender. Death and Co. or Liquid Intelligence are much better if you are interested in being a serious cocktail bartender.

I agree, but it is still a great starting point and worth having and going back to.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Lol at recommending a Dave Arnold book to a total novice.

Get Morganthalers book. It's basic and discusses technique which many others do not.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So, while applying for a job, I was required to take what appeared to be a Myers-Briggs style assessments. Honestly, I'm a little skeeved out by it and, considering that some of the questions could be construed as probing for issues such as anxiety or depression, am wondering if it's even legal. Anybody else have experience with that kind of thing? If anybody in the world can fail a personality test, it's me.

PS. It's been 10 years since I had to go hunt for a bartending job. This sucks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tons of jobs require some form of personality test as part of the application process. I've never heard of it for hospitality, that is kind of strange, but you'd probably have a very hard time making a case against it to the ADA (assuming you're in the US) unless you can substantively prove that those specific questions both targeted anxiety/depression AND that they were used to deny you a job.

Out of curiosity, can you share what type of place this was? Don't share the actual company, but was this a hotel chain, corporate restaurant, or ??? Very curious what kind of place puts this hiring practice out there for front line employees, it's just bizarre.

In other news, Houston is continuing to suffer from a major shortage of employees, both FOH and BOH, for the same reasons we know and love. The main difference here is that owners are getting squeezed at both ends, rents for the last several years have been among, if not the highest in the nation due to rapid growth from the oil boom, and a lot of them found it easier to squeeze their employees than anything else. There is a ton of animosity between employees and management/owners, at least at the major restaurant groups, and it's not pretty. It's hard to have sympathy for the owners, though, most of the ones I've met have had wildly unrealistic expectations of their employees - especially when things like training, benefits, perks, etc. all fall by the wayside as each group scrambles to open as many new places as possible.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Out of curiosity, can you share what type of place this was? Don't share the actual company, but was this a hotel chain, corporate restaurant, or ??? Very curious what kind of place puts this hiring practice out there for front line employees, it's just bizarre.

It's a fine dining chain, I guess. Owned by a hospitality conglomerate that owns several different nationwide brands.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

In other news, I now insist that all my Old Fashioneds be made by this bartender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWeVRxR1qek

THAT POUR.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

In other news, I now insist that all my Old Fashioneds be made by this bartender.

THAT POUR.

Holy gently caress. She might as well have just put the other ingredients straight into the bottle of Beam. Same result and less mess.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Holy gently caress. She might as well have just put the other ingredients straight into the bottle of Beam. Same result and less mess.

Oh sweet baby Jesus! That chick is basically lied_on_my_resume.mov

Also, I got a job (not the Myers-Briggs personality thing) at a new craft cocktail joint. If I knew my new boss better, I'd email her a link to that video and tell her I found a great new site for practicing and learning mixology.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Shooting Blanks posted:

THAT POUR.

The spiritual successor to the Woodford Reserve Mint Julep?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

navyjack posted:

Oh sweet baby Jesus! That chick is basically lied_on_my_resume.mov

This is the goddamn truth. Also, LOL @ a channel that's all about "cocktail" instructions not having a muddler. I make a cocktail at home maybe once every three months and I own a muddler.

(Congrats on the job)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

XIII posted:

This is the goddamn truth. Also, LOL @ a channel that's all about "cocktail" instructions not having a muddler. I make a cocktail at home maybe once every three months and I own a muddler.

(Congrats on the job)

Thanks. It's a tryout shift, but I'm pretty confident I can nail it. I'm going to be studying till my eyes bleed getting ready for it, anyway.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

navyjack posted:

I'm going to be studying till my eyes bleed getting ready for it, anyway.

Well, don't I have just the resource for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?MahaloCocktails?videos

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Let me tell you as a patron that mixology poo poo is god awful if you don't have enough staff...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

A Man and his dog posted:

Let me tell you as a patron that mixology poo poo is god awful if you don't have enough staff...

It's all about knowing what to expect, both as an employee and as a customer. At a cocktail bar, you're likely going to wait a bit more for your drinks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's all about knowing what to expect, both as an employee and as a customer. At a cocktail bar, you're likely going to wait a bit more for your drinks.

I think the problem really comes as more bars/restaurants that aren't actually cocktail bars try to improve their cocktail program without thinking it through all the way. All of a sudden, you have wildly differing expectations of service speed, and the people who are making the cocktails often don't have the same level of cocktail experience that cocktail bartenders would. The person waiting for the cocktail might not mind waiting a bit longer, but the people who just ordered a round of pints immediately after probably do.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I bit the bullet. It was "if you aren't managing, it's this dude instead." Noooooooooo

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I reckon babysitting FOH drama mongers is better than having an inept twerp jingle his keys at me, but god drat.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

mooyashi posted:

I bit the bullet. It was "if you aren't managing, it's this dude instead." Noooooooooo

That's one hell of a double bind, but I still think you may have chosen poorly. :( all pain and no glory good luck dude

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
At least I get to make the schedule, the tradeoff being I have to make the schedule

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

mooyashi posted:

Salaried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

navyjack posted:

So, while applying for a job, I was required to take what appeared to be a Myers-Briggs style assessments. Honestly, I'm a little skeeved out by it and, considering that some of the questions could be construed as probing for issues such as anxiety or depression, am wondering if it's even legal. Anybody else have experience with that kind of thing? If anybody in the world can fail a personality test, it's me.

PS. It's been 10 years since I had to go hunt for a bartending job. This sucks.

Those tests have right and wrong answers by the way. The right answer is always either Strongly Agree or Strongly Disagree, not any of the middle options, and is usually obvious (use "I am vehemently opposed to stealing and will snitch on any of my friends because I'm the world's biggest bootlicker" as your guide).

Remember that obviously they produce a really awful shitheaded metric to hire people by so only really awful shitheaded persons hiring pay any attention to them. Therefore you answer the questions like an awful shithead, but the kind that is employable, not the other kind.

There are questions thrown in to try to catch liers but they are easy to spot too ("I've never been envious of someone else getting a promotion.")

• Locked thread