Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

:swoon:

This makes me wonder how does this work in correlation to Animar, does C have to be paid, or can you reduce it to nothing free.

We'll know for sure when the notes come in for OGW, but I think you'll need to pay C.

Quote for the new page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

its cool, i like

Count Bleck posted:

:swoon:

This makes me wonder how does this work in correlation to Animar, does C have to be paid, or can you reduce it to nothing free.

Thanks.

you have to pay (C), as Animar only reduces generic mana cost

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Animar doesn't play well with ♦ cards because the mana is far too tight to be loving around with things that require Kessig or Caverns.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

You do know that was just a joke I made right

:shrug: sorry you made a joke that had enough of a logic to it to seem like a reasonable hypothesis

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Would have thought there'd be more reaction to:

I mean, I guess its better than Lavaclaw Reaches

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yes, Oath of Druids is a reasonable card to reprint, and also i'm high as a loving kite y'all

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Hey, remember when we thought they might be reprinting the Exodus oaths because the black one is the only one on the reserved list and they conspicuously excluded a black planeswalker from the cycle :coffeepal:

gently caress Wizards.

you want a full cycle reprinted where one of the cards is broken, 2 of them are bad, 1 is probably in the 50 worst cards ever printed, and only one is in a place where it's interesting and good but not broken? Okay man

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Turn 3 Kozilek doesn't seem busted to me guys

have I mentioned I am high

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

yes, Oath of Druids is a reasonable card to reprint, and also i'm high as a loving kite y'all

Watch them make a nerfed version called Oath of Nissa with awful flavour text.

But yeah, anyone who thinks Oath of Druids is getting a Standard reprint is high as balls.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
we can balance the reprinting of Oath of Druids by banning every creature

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Would have thought there'd be more reaction to:

I mean, I guess its better than Lavaclaw Reaches

I'd be way more excited if it had 1 power and a higher toughness.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I'd be way more excited if it had 1 power and a higher toughness.

Yeah honestly I'd be a lot more excited if this was a 1/4 with deathtouch.

Don't worry, WotC never lets us down, the UR one will be completely broke, a 2/2 with flying and prowess for UR.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Elyv posted:

you want a full cycle reprinted where one of the cards is broken, 2 of them are bad, 1 is probably in the 50 worst cards ever printed, and only one is in a place where it's interesting and good but not broken? Okay man

It's such a weird cycle as well I don't get why a card draw/lich's tomb is in the and the constellation card doesn't seem to fit the mechanics at all.
E: Nah actually that looks fine the reason it's a seven card cycle is so they can reprint it without the reserved list card or the silly one and still have one for every colour it's like they planned ahead for this set

is that good fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 31, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Elyv posted:

Entropic posted:

But yeah, anyone who thinks Oath of Druids is getting a Standard reprint is high as balls.

well you folks must be really happy we have Oath of Jace to look forward to instead then :v:

(I know, I'm excluding the middle)

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Nah it'll have curiosity attached to it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

well you folks must be really happy we have Oath of Jace to look forward to instead then :v:

Did you seriously expect Oath of Druids and if so what are you smoking because it sounds amazing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah honestly I'd be a lot more excited if this was a 1/4 with deathtouch.

Don't worry, WotC never lets us down, the UR one will be completely broke, a 2/2 with flying and prowess for UR.

I'm betting on loot-when-you-hit-a-player-with-it.

JerryLee posted:

I'd be surprised if Wizards even remembered the existence of the original Oath cycle when designing these. People are way too eager to latch onto things with vaguely similar names and assume they must be related.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Entropic posted:

I'd be surprised if Wizards even remembered the existence of the original Oath cycle when designing these. People are way too eager to latch onto things with vaguely similar names and assume they must be related.

There was probably some wishful thinking at work, but the only reason I started thinking "hmmmm..." instead of "wouldn't it be wacky if..." was the aforementioned omission of black, which seemed pretty odd if there wasn't some specific exterior reason for it.

although in retrospect that reason is probably just "we can't have an icky MEAN character as part of the GOOD GUYS team!"

e: watch there actually be an oath of ob nixilis even though he isn't allowed in the clubhouse

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 31, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee is conscientious of his lungs so he doesn't inhale, he does 2ci

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I tend to doubt the UR one has Prowess simply because there are 0 cards with Prowess in Battle for Zendikar block so far.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

eh the whole Oath of X thing and being enchantments make them seem likely to at least be a bit of a reference to the originals

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So a 3/2 unblockable and a 3/3 that gets a counter when attacking are still stronger than these manlands. Cool.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

I'd be surprised if they didn't, the people in Wizards are old-school players. I would bet they decided "whatever it's been nearly 20 years we can make another cycle of oaths"(assuming there is a cycle, of course). Also I'd like to slightly modify my earlier statement, I think oath of scholars is a card that could be interesting and good now that it's possible to build blue decks that are not either pure control or combo.

Also also, I don't have a problem with Oath of Jace mechanically in any way. I think the art is silly, the name is mediocre, and the flavor text is putrid, but a rare that is at an(imo) Standard playable power level, does not fit into any decks currently, and is playable but mediocre in limited is basically everything I want from a rare.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

For the lulz, dammit.
You are a bad bad person for making me want to figure out how to make this happen reliably.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I'd be surprised if they didn't, the people in Wizards are old-school players. I would bet they decided "whatever it's been nearly 20 years we can make another cycle of oaths"(assuming there is a cycle, of course). Also I'd like to slightly modify my earlier statement, I think oath of scholars is a card that could be interesting and good now that it's possible to build blue decks that are not either pure control or combo.

Also also, I don't have a problem with Oath of Jace mechanically in any way. I think the art is silly, the name is mediocre, and the flavor text is putrid, but a rare that is at an(imo) Standard playable power level, does not fit into any decks currently, and is playable but mediocre in limited is basically everything I want from a rare.

It's an okay card that is at least playable in draft. Caring about Mythics is weird, especially given that the Mythics in question are usually ones that just win if they're on the board.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Elyv posted:

I'd be surprised if they didn't, the people in Wizards are old-school players. I would bet they decided "whatever it's been nearly 20 years we can make another cycle of oaths"(assuming there is a cycle, of course).

They're not really a "cycle of oaths" though, beyond the name. It would actually have been cool if they had called back to the old Oath cycle but made new ones for some/all of them, like what they did with the Leylines.

Point taken that Oath of Jace is probably a fine constructed card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Oath of Jace is actually just a seed for the next set where they are going to reprint a functional update of Magical Hack but for permanent types.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

In fairness, Shambling Vent does see Modern play anyways despite not being as good as Raging Ravine.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

In fairness, Shambling Vent does see Modern play anyways despite not being as good as Raging Ravine.

Isn't that mostly because it makes the burn matchup that much better?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oath of douche can we call it oath of douche?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

For the sake of the Multiverse, I will keep watch.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

That and it is cheaper to activate. Raging Ravine is more powerful, but I'd actually wager that Shambling Vent is the better card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

No. Its because the deck that plays Shambling Vent isn't red (Shambling Vent is played in Abzan/Junk and Ravine is in Jund).

Abzan's burn matchup is already kind of good though. Path to Exile's drawback is mostly meaningless, Kitchen Finks is frequently maindecked and always at least a sideboard option, and Siege Rhino pretty much stabilizes.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 31, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Abzan's burn matchup is already kind of good though. Path to Exile's drawback is mostly meaningless, Kitchen Finks is frequently maindecked and always at least a sideboard option, and Siege Rhino pretty much stabilizes.

It still isn't a steal though, the Abzan deck is clunky enough that it can get run over, but if it survive until turn 5, it tends to win.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

It still isn't a steal though, the Abzan deck is clunky enough that it can get run over, but if it survive until turn 5, it tends to win.

Sure, but the actual reason Abzan plays Shambling Vent is because it's playing different manlands aren't really an option. If Raging Ravine was a G/B land, I imagine it would play 4 of them and 0 Vents and 0 Stirring Wildwood. The article spoiling Quagmire seemed to think it would see play over Stirring Wildwood, but if it does, its probably only because green/black lands are generally better.

The lands being better for Jund is a big reason why Jund has seen a lot more play than Abzan. I actually think Abzan is a better deck because Lingering Souls is a bitch to deal with and it can grind out games with value, but Abzan doesn't have an equivalent for Blackcleave Cliffs or Raging Ravine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
loving lol. Didn't take long for the hype train to go off the rails.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I hate #mtgfinance.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Sure, but the actual reason Abzan plays Shambling Vent is because it's playing different manlands aren't really an option. If Raging Ravine was a G/B land, I imagine it would play 4 of them and 0 Vents and 0 Stirring Wildwood. The article spoiling Quagmire seemed to think it would see play over Stirring Wildwood, but if it does, its probably only because green/black lands are generally better.

The lands being better for Jund is a big reason why Jund has seen a lot more play than Abzan. I actually think Abzan is a better deck because Lingering Souls is a bitch to deal with and it can grind out games with value, but Abzan doesn't have an equivalent for Blackcleave Cliffs or Raging Ravine.

Stirring Wildwood not dying to bolt is a pretty real point in it's favor though. Quagmire has deathtouch but can't even block a Snapcaster without dying. I'm trying to decide between slotting vents in over Wildwood in my abzan deck and I'm not sure it's necessary in a deck with things like siege rhino, etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

is playable but mediocre in limited is basically everything I want from a rare.

Has there ever been that exact card as a sorcery? Compulsive Research without the conditional discard 1?

I'm guessing Divination is a better card most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

I just happen to have a random Eye of Ugin sitting in my binder. Nice.

• Locked thread