Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
One Use trip report. Repulse is like a Pensicola but not as fast and a bigger target. I can still dunk on morons on either one but it's easier to outmaneuver stuff with the Pepsi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
As always, had a good time shooting botes with Goons. Getting Dark Judge to 99% capped and finding away to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory was definitely the outstanding moment of the night.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Humbaba posted:

As always, had a good time shooting botes with Goons. Getting Dark Judge to 99% capped and finding away to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory was definitely the outstanding moment of the night.

That was entirely my fault for not shooting that loving Fubuki fast enough.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
USN Guns are just

And then when I start thinking that maybe I'm not as good at this game as I thought, this happens!

I am going to need a bigger dumpster.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The Nevada is a good ship. These were back to back, my third and fourth games respectively.

In one of those games, I took a Konig from 3000 to 0 in one barrage, as he slowed down to depth charge a sub. If only I had good teammates in DDs and CLs :suicide:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 28, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Nevada is basically everything you liked about the Wyoming (which was already loving awesome) but with 14 inch cannons.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I have found that a very satisfying, but very damaging, way to deal with destroyers as a sub is to surface into them. I'm so far 2 for 2 kills with this method. Mind you, you're going to take 50 to 60 percent damage. In a T2 US sub.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Coffeehitler posted:

I have found that a very satisfying, but very damaging, way to deal with destroyers as a sub is to surface into them. I'm so far 2 for 2 kills with this method. Mind you, you're going to take 50 to 60 percent damage. In a T2 US sub.

Correct but this is what the IJN subs are best at. They're enormous whales with large hp pools to play with. Timing the ascent/descent is the hardest part to master but ramming other subs underwater is hugely satisfying. Specially when it's some smug fucker in a tiny german U boat that just dies from one ramming - they go utterly mental in chat if you're lucky. I took the I-19 out yesterday and surfaced into a destroyer doing over 1700 damage to him. If someone is dumb enough to get close to my slow, unwieldy whale they deserve to get rammed.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Played a few games, got a kill on a sub by having it try to surface under me. Applied to clan.

EDIT: Also killed allies with torpedos two games in a row, whoops.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Nickiepoo posted:

EDIT: Also killed allies with torpedos two games in a row, whoops.

You live by the Torpedo, you die by the Torpedo. That is the way of the boat. Sink them all, Neptun will know his own. Also blue is the best name color.

e:
Also you're in, now pay your taxes and grind those fleet XP.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 28, 2015

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
If your not riding sidecar in an aircraft carrier sub the size of a small cruiser, you're doing subs wrong.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Hah, worthless scrubs tried hard to lose but how about this for carrying:

I went up the west side, snuck round the back and sunk a carrier. Then filled a stationary florida with torps and went round another island. Stuck 3 torps into a Kongo, sank another carrier and put 2 torps into another Florida and a couple more into a Kuma. Then the concentrated fire of everything left alive got me. It was the most fun I've had in days, Fubuki powaaah! ;)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'd complain about how completely mandatory DDs were to a team in this game if they weren't one of the most fun things in it.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

If your not riding sidecar in an aircraft carrier sub the size of a small cruiser, you're doing subs wrong.

I enjoy my AMERICA "I sunk literally the entire enemy team" Submarines too much to do it right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the single biggest reason to avoid using depth charges on subs isn't the BBs they might be spotting for, it's the sound of your doom coming on wings of fwee-fwee-fwee as every teammate within 3km tries to torpedo the fucker, regardless of if you're right on top of them and DCing them as we speak or they've dived deep.

Me and both of the people I was playing with were killed by friendly torps in the same game when the game spawned with 6 subs on both sides.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So with the gold I have from the investment thing I'm really tempted to buy an Oyodo. I don't think people realize it can launch torpedo planes and therefore have no idea what's coming in those games with no CVs.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Groggy nard posted:

I enjoy my AMERICA "I sunk literally the entire enemy team" Submarines too much to do it right.

Jap subs are way more fun (especially ramming enemy subs/dd). I was on Galapagos Islands on my first run of an I-19 and went straight up the middle (slowly at first) and found myself 1.5km from the BB blob with the cruisers/dd's and other subs all duking it out on the far sides of the map. I sunk 4 BB's and heavily damaged 2 BB's, then popped a lone DD that was mostly dead via deck cannon and then proceeding to cap the enemy base solo. The speed vs the I-14 was a godsend, even though I didn't have any upgrades so my torps did 300 less a pop.

Sub heaven, 13.5k damage, 2.5k raw exp.

Anyone know what a "Reversals" is for a battle result rather than victory/defeat/draw? We got it on a flagship fight, enemy carrier was all that was left but I think he was against the edge of the map or something, as he was the only one left alive but the message indicated something about the edge. Seemed like a draw but maybe it's the result when your team's flagship dies and then you kill theirs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mazz posted:

So with the gold I have from the investment thing I'm really tempted to buy an Oyodo. I don't think people realize it can launch torpedo planes and therefore have no idea what's coming in those games with no CVs.

It's the same rules as normal CVs, though, but moreso because Oyodo planes can't survive ANY AA at all. They're much flimsier than normal planes. Your CL armament isn't that good but if a destroyer can't aim you'll be okay.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pervis posted:

Anyone know what a "Reversals" is for a battle result rather than victory/defeat/draw? ... Seemed like a draw but maybe it's the result when your team's flagship dies and then you kill theirs.

that's exactly what it is.

fleet battles in 45 minutes, come get your 1.5x exp and silver.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panzeh posted:

It's the same rules as normal CVs, though, but moreso because Oyodo planes can't survive ANY AA at all. They're much flimsier than normal planes. Your CL armament isn't that good but if a destroyer can't aim you'll be okay.

idk I got a night game where it was on the other team vs our Altanta or whatever, it torped me as I had no idea it could and I figured it was recon. It seems like it could be pretty fun, and at 12k its not crazy expensive.

Also, while discussing the Altanta, :lol: what this thing can do to destroyers. They keep trying to torp me while I lay into them with 14 guns.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Come shoot botes goons, 3 spots still open for fleet poo poo

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Can confirm shooting botes with goons is good times.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Ramming other goons in a 4v4 sync drop was great.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Starting to get the hang of CVs (short answer is don't carry any DBs) but this is pretty much the outcome of every game.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Dive bombers are useful for hitting destroyers and light crusiers at higher tiers. Also consider swapping out your scout planes for more fighters. Fighters do better at scouting anyway due to their durability and range over actual scouts. Yeah they can't see as far but does that really matter since they're going to spot things by getting shot down anyway

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Dive bombers are useful for hitting destroyers and light crusiers at higher tiers. Also consider swapping out your scout planes for more fighters. Fighters do better at scouting anyway due to their durability and range over actual scouts. Yeah they can't see as far but does that really matter since they're going to spot things by getting shot down anyway

I've gotten pretty good at torping, DBs just seem too hard to actually use well since they need to overfly the target, the spread on the bombs is very bad, and the little aiming circle is not super intuitive.

I also dumped all my scouts for more fighters, yeah.

I REALLY need to get to the Indy for the 700 damage torpedos. Nothing like hitting a tier IV BB with an entire spread and doing 700 damage.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Just picked up the game today. First impressions are that it's a better version of World of Warships. The destroyer is pretty fun! Torpedoes away! (sorry teammates)

I just applied for the fleet in-game.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Mazz posted:

Starting to get the hang of CVs (short answer is don't carry any DBs) but this is pretty much the outcome of every game.

Yeah, it took a few games to 'get it' but Carriers are a ton of fun. Like you though I've come to the conclusion that DBs are useless and that having a scout that can also shoot down hostile scouts is fun and good.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Mazz posted:

I've gotten pretty good at torping, DBs just seem too hard to actually use well since they need to overfly the target, the spread on the bombs is very bad, and the little aiming circle is not super intuitive.

I also dumped all my scouts for more fighters, yeah.

I REALLY need to get to the Indy for the 700 damage torpedos. Nothing like hitting a tier IV BB with an entire spread and doing 700 damage.

Buying the first TB upgrade on Indy and Ranger was the only thing I've done with global XP outright, and it was worth every bit. I think the first upgrade on Indy also includes allowing you to use a flight of 4 instead of 3, so it's even more insane. The 2nd upgrade on the Indy drops it back down to 3 per flight, but more damage on each, but still worth it.

My first win of today with the Ranger. I used my first 2 flights of TB's and dropped a sub and a heavy cruiser right as the engagement started, and then popped a DD that was harassing a sub of ours towards the main battle line with the next 2 by bracketing him. Hitting DD's is the big challenge for me, so it felt really good and saved my sub ally.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

New Years patch arrived.

patchnotes posted:

Primary New Content

1. New challenge mode.

Description: Randomly choose a player to be the dominator. The dominator will use a special enhanced ship while the rest players have two times chance of rebirth.

Open time: 20:00-22:00 of every Monday and Friday

Available ships: Lv5 destroyer, Lv5 Light Cruiser& Heavy Cruisers, Lv5 battleship

Reward: plenty of silvers

New maps for challenge mode: Ocean War- challenge mode, Luzon- challenge mode, Mamala Bay- challenge mode

2. Available to video in game- open video function in settings

3. New maps for match mode and senior squadron battle: The English Channel - Flag Mode (M); Mariana Islands - Flag Mode (Night Battle)

Secondary New Content:

1. New military rank competition season reward

2. New non-battle item: Naval Tactics Book (Grants a Commander 50000 EXP after use)

3. New gold ship: Lv6 Japanese battleship- Ise BBV, Lv6 British destroyer Laforey

4. Additional fleet battle open time: 15:00-17:00 on each Tuesday and Saturday of CST

5. Upgrade the points of winning the senior fleet battle to 50 points

6. Cancel the map of The English Channel - Flag Mode in Lv7 and higher match mode & senior squadron battle

7. Fix Ise BBV main artillery bug

8. Optimize operation way of non-battle item in the storage

9. Cancel senior 5v5 mode and optimize 5v5 point rules and matching mechanism

10. New activities:

a. The Hunting Game(Long time activity): Defeating the dominator 2 times as a challenger or killing 16 challengers as the dominator in Challenge Mode every week will get Merit*90 and Global EXP*5000.

b. Supplies: From Dec.31 to January 5, using Lv3 or higher destroyer/sub/heavy cruiser to win 2 times, will get 3 Adv. Extinguishers, 3 Adv. Repair Kits and 3 Adv. Smoke Bombs

c. Atlantic Nightmare: From Dec.31 to January 5, using Lv3 or higher ship to sink 3 Germany ships will get 90 Merit

d. Login reward: From Dec.31 to January 21, Log in for 20 days will get the Elite Commander Reinhard von Musel

Others:

Limited Time Discount (Ends on Jan 5th):
Ise BBV: full price 25800 golds; discount price 18800
Laforey: full price 20800 golds; discount price 14800
Ibuki: full price 38800 golds; discount price 28800
Fargo: original price 35800 golds; discount price 24800
Z43: full price 28800 golds; discount price 20800
I-201: full price 20800 golds; discount price 14800

The Ise BBV is basically a Mega Oyodo. Using a Ise BB as the basis and trading two of its rear turrets for a flight deck capable of supporting 30 planes in total and heavily buffing its AAA armament all while moving up one tier to T6. Still counts as a BB in the MM list. Just thought that would be of interest for the people who have so much fun with their Oyodos.

Trip report, it's a good boat and the B6N1 are good Torpedo planes:

And yes, they had a Scharnhorst and no, we didn't have any Tier 7.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 31, 2015

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
That ship looks like everything I possibly wanted from this game.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yep, probably buying that. Same amount of planes as the Bogue which is basically enough for an entire game plus they didn't actually lose all the rear turrets like I thought.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
figured i'd give this a go, applied.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
You know that historically the only planes the Ise could recover were the floatplane scouts, right? That everything else "Totally wasn't a suicide launch because they could recover at nearby land based airstrips" right?

That boat is very :psyduck:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

They could also be recovered by the conventional carriers that were part of the envisioned strike force. But yes, the concept is very :psyduck:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

They could also be recovered by the conventional carriers that were part of the envisioned strike force. But yes, the concept is very :psyduck:

and 70 years later we, the players of an online videogame, are thanking them for it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Video games that hand wave away the worst parts of historical practices are often the best video games.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
btw, I see that there's a room for this in the CtS mumble but is that what people are actually using to play it?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I didn't have time to mention it earlier, but the Ise also lost a ton of armor protection from the lost turrets, which tend to have better armor than the ships belt(unless it is a skinny Treaty Cruiser), and put a plane hangar in the once flashproof, floodproof ammo storage and turret cavity.

So it took away quite a few of the strengths of a Battleship(extremely hard to penetrate stable gun platform) for a few squads of bombers that could only be used once. It will get deck penned and critted so hard. SO. HARD.

It seems like it might be a fun bote in this game though. Which won't stop me from going :psyduck: every time I pen one with a DD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Nickiepoo posted:

btw, I see that there's a room for this in the CtS mumble but is that what people are actually using to play it?

yes but there probably won't be anyone in there unless it's fleet battle time.

• Locked thread