Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The way I look at GC turnins: first check the marketboard. There are a bunch of items that are quest rewards and so will be for sale for cheap. An example is most crafting/gathering mainhands/offhands. If something is cheaper than the vendor price, MB it. Otherwise go to the vendor and grab it. Just google the item name for a list of vendors that sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Every single fight in HW has a part where the boss flies away and you lose your stacks so you should keep PB for that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'd like to play as a Thief, but I see that you can't until level 10. I also see that you have to level up as a punch man to be a Ninja. So at the start should I just roll a punchy dude?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Belzac posted:

Every single fight in HW has a part where the boss flies away and you lose your stacks so you should keep PB for that.

For most of them there is barely enough duration on GL3 to keep your stacks if you time things well, but there are always fights where the boss decides to peace out at exactly the wrong time and your stacks drop half a second before you can attack again. Echidna and Living Liquid are especially lovely about that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Since we're talking about dropping stacks, I wanted to ask about Enochian, since I'm almost level 60 on my blm and I already feel like an idiot babby again trying to learn how to use it right.

How bad of a dps loss is it if you let it drop? Like, for example, if something's gone horribly wrong, and I'm only maybe halfway through my fire phase when I notice it's about to fall off; am I better off quickly casting blizzard 3 > blizzard 4 to refresh it, or will I get more DPS out of just spitting out as many fireballs as I can and letting it drop? Assuming there's something like 20-30 seconds left on the ability cooldown itself.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

I'd like to play as a Thief, but I see that you can't until level 10. I also see that you have to level up as a punch man to be a Ninja. So at the start should I just roll a punchy dude?

If you want to be a rogue/ninja you can either start as a pugilist like you said, or as an arcanist or marauder if you want to unlock rogue as soon as possible. Those two classes are in the same city as the rogue's guild, but pugilist is in a different city and you can't travel to different cities until you reach level 15.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Thundarr posted:

For most of them there is barely enough duration on GL3 to keep your stacks if you time things well, but there are always fights where the boss decides to peace out at exactly the wrong time and your stacks drop half a second before you can attack again. Echidna and Living Liquid are especially lovely about that.

I've killed all of savage on monk. You lose stacks almost every time in tornado unless you group is just bad enough to have slimes left up by the time he comes back and some how just good enough to still kill the boss. A2S and A4S you can reliably never lose stacks but A2S lol and A4S you're probably just gonna be tunneling the boss and forget that PB came back. In theory I think you want to use it after DK, TS, DEMO and then use True Strike x4 and then a snap.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

Since we're talking about dropping stacks, I wanted to ask about Enochian, since I'm almost level 60 on my blm and I already feel like an idiot babby again trying to learn how to use it right.

How bad of a dps loss is it if you let it drop? Like, for example, if something's gone horribly wrong, and I'm only maybe halfway through my fire phase when I notice it's about to fall off; am I better off quickly casting blizzard 3 > blizzard 4 to refresh it, or will I get more DPS out of just spitting out as many fireballs as I can and letting it drop? Assuming there's something like 20-30 seconds left on the ability cooldown itself.

I personally keep Enochian up at all costs; I usually start casting B3 > B4 at something like 7-8 seconds left on Enochian, and B3 > Swiftcast B4 if things are really going south (or Swiftcast B3 > B4 if I don't have AF3 up). F4 is 30% more potency/second than F1 and is 20% less MP as well. It's really good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

vOv posted:

I personally keep Enochian up at all costs; I usually start casting B3 > B4 at something like 7-8 seconds left on Enochian, and B3 > Swiftcast B4 if things are really going south (or Swiftcast B3 > B4 if I don't have AF3 up). F4 is 30% more potency/second than F1 and is 20% less MP as well. It's really good.

I don't even have F4 yet, I hadn't noticed that it costs less MP than F1.

So does the basic level 60 rotation basically become "Fire 3, Fire 4/1 until enochian is ~8 seconds, B3, B4, F3, repeat" instead of casting fire until your MP is dry? That'll take some getting used to. And I guess I'm supposed to cast thunder in there somewhere too.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

If you want to be a rogue/ninja you can either start as a pugilist like you said, or as an arcanist or marauder if you want to unlock rogue as soon as possible. Those two classes are in the same city as the rogue's guild, but pugilist is in a different city and you can't travel to different cities until you reach level 15.

I definitely want to switch as soon as possible. Which would you prefer for fun? Arcanist or Marauder? I've never played as a caster before.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't even have F4 yet, I hadn't noticed that it costs less MP than F1.

So does the basic level 60 rotation basically become "Fire 3, Fire 4/1 until enochian is ~8 seconds, B3, B4, F3, repeat" instead of casting fire until your MP is dry? That'll take some getting used to. And I guess I'm supposed to cast thunder in there somewhere too.

Something like that, yeah. My personal opener is to use Sharpcast F1 -> Enochian -> Ley Lines -> Firestarter F3 -> Raging Strikes -> F4 -> F4 -> F4 -> F1 -> F4 -> F4 -> F4 -> (F1 here maybe? I don't remember) -> B3; if you have enough spell speed, the Ley Lines boost will give you juuust enough MP to squeeze 3 F4s in between F1s, since you'll only drop AF3 after your F1 finishes casting but before it actually lands. But I think you need i180-ish gear for that.

BLM 60 astral is more of a flowchart:
Are you at 8 seconds or less on Enochian or almost out of MP (meaning you have less MP than you would need to B3 > B4 after your next Fire spell)? If so, B3 > B4
Is AF3 at 3 seconds or less? If so, Fire 1, or Fire 4 if it's at 4-5 seconds and you're going to go into Umbral next anyway.
Otherwise, Fire 4.

Overall I think it's a very 'intuition'-based class as opposed to the 'execute the same rotation over and over' that you do at 50, which is nice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

vOv posted:

Something like that, yeah. My personal opener is to use Sharpcast F1 -> Enochian -> Ley Lines -> Firestarter F3 -> Raging Strikes -> F4 -> F4 -> F4 -> F1 -> F4 -> F4 -> F4 -> (F1 here maybe? I don't remember) -> B3; if you have enough spell speed, the Ley Lines boost will give you juuust enough MP to squeeze 3 F4s in between F1s, since you'll only drop AF3 after your F1 finishes casting but before it actually lands. But I think you need i180-ish gear for that.

BLM 60 astral is more of a flowchart:
Are you at 8 seconds or less on Enochian or almost out of MP (meaning you have less MP than you would need to B3 > B4 after your next Fire spell)? If so, B3 > B4
Is AF3 at 3 seconds or less? If so, Fire 1, or Fire 4 if it's at 4-5 seconds and you're going to go into Umbral next anyway.
Otherwise, Fire 4.

Overall I think it's a very 'intuition'-based class as opposed to the 'execute the same rotation over and over' that you do at 50, which is nice.

Yeah, I think if get the gist of it, it'll just be a matter of practice. Thanks for the tips.

Does thunder fit neatly into this (not) rotation anymore, or does enochian make the time it takes to cast thunder a waste of precious fire 4 time?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

As someone who's doing this right now, I started MRD so that I could go right to the guild and it was a Good Idea because then by the time you unlock other cities you're at a point where it's not hard to get those early levels in punching just through the armory system

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Considering the bulk of your DPS comes from F4 and Enochian offers a 10% DPS increase.. a pretty hefty loss.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I think if get the gist of it, it'll just be a matter of practice. Thanks for the tips.

Does thunder fit neatly into this (not) rotation anymore, or does enochian make the time it takes to cast thunder a waste of precious fire 4 time?

Cast Thunder 1/2 during umbral phases when you don't have Enochian up. Use Thundercloud instead of Fire 4 if the boss has 12 or fewer seconds of Thunder left on it, since it's more damage total that way (unless the boss is about to disappear or become invulnerable or whatever). Never hardcast Thunder during Astral, it's a DPS loss.

vOv fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 30, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i just play drg

and don't bother using blood of the dragon as anything other than another booster for my jumps :devil:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

i just play drg

SMN is the best because you can still deal like 30% of your DPS if you run to get a beer.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
MLG pro guide to DRG, Vark edition:

Pop Blood of the Dagrong.
Say, "Whoa poo poo this is too much responsibility."
Geirskogul.
Elusive Jump into an instant kill mechanic.
If anyone else is dead, " /a lol you guys are bad"
Sit back and vote abandon after the fight, win or lose.

Nice. :cool:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

SMN is the best because you can still deal like 30% of your DPS if you run to get a beer.

Yeah but you only get to see huge numbers like once every minute so what's the loving point

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

SonicRulez posted:

Leveling a PUG means you get internal release and second wind, good abilities.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
How active is the goon group on Exodus? My current FC there is pretty much silent these days so it would be cool to have a group of people to BS with while playing magical Eorzea dressup and maybe finally getting myself to 60.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
drat it, I leave for two months and I come back to a full inventory full of crap I'm not sure was important or not. That'll teach me to be better about inventory management I guess.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It should only take about 10-15 minutes tops, to sort that out though. Make as if you're going to sell each of them in turn, and from the sell window you can click a thing to check prices. If it's not worth enough to say so, move on to the next thing; if it is, you're already right there and ready to sell it. Whatever's left over afterward, shove down the throat of the nearest plant lalafell vendor (*).

(*) Requires your FC to have a lalafell vendor positioned, as per regulations, inside a plant. If you have a lesser, non-compliant FC, you may need to improvise. Fireplace lalafell vendors are an acceptable substitute.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The_Maz posted:

How active is the goon group on Exodus? My current FC there is pretty much silent these days so it would be cool to have a group of people to BS with while playing magical Eorzea dressup and maybe finally getting myself to 60.

Which goon group? The first, second, or third official FCs or one of the also goon FCs? We're pretty active.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

Robviously posted:

Which goon group? The first, second, or third official FCs or one of the also goon FCs? We're pretty active.

I was thinking Principality of Zeon mostly because I wasn't aware there was more than one active FC on Exodus. Seems I was wrong!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The_Maz posted:

I was thinking Principality of Zeon mostly because I wasn't aware there was more than one active FC on Exodus. Seems I was wrong!

Nah, you're just replying to someone who reads Exodus as Excalibur.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The_Maz posted:

Zeon is pretty active, although not on Excalibur levels of insanity. There's usually always a few people on willing to do stuff, especially if you like shooting the poo poo in team speak.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The artist: http://falloutblu.tumblr.com/post/135666312492/well-now-ill-remember

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 31, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It's not so bad on CC, but getting it wrong for the old relic Chimera could gently caress things up hilariously.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

If he's a new goon he should be joining TPT which would allow him to teleport to their house in Limsa before 15.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The_Maz posted:

Welp, it's me, I'm the scrub tier FFXIV player mans. Sorry for trying to point you to the wrong server.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Those are sum good catbois :mrgw:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Drizvolta posted:

Those are sum good catbois :mrgw:

especially the ones making out with haurchefant :swoon:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Looks like the next content patch is bringing us the best update yet.

http://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/

Hell yes, Gamera turtle.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 31, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
In case anyone is on a PS3 and doesn't have HW yet, you can get it for about $4

It's on sale at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OM6SAOQ for a little over $10, and they're accepting trade-ins of the same game for $6. You DON'T need unclaimed keys for the trade-in, so make your order, make your trade-in order, wait for the game to arrive, redeem the key, then immediately ship off the game for the trade-in credit.

Make sure you make your trade-in claim NOW before they change the amounts. You don't need to ship it off today, the offer is good for about a month once you claim it.

Same general deal for PS4, it's on sale for about $17 and the trade-in is also $6

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Why would they accept already claimed keys?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The PS3 and PS4 versions are physical, and all that Amazon cares about is getting a physical product; it's no different in their eyes than getting Battlefield or whatever with the online component already claimed. I don't know if it's as relevant for HW, but I resold my used ARR disc specifically as key-less media replacement - someone could use the disc to reinstall at least the pre-patch portion if they're on a slow/capped connection

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Targeting is hard, you guys...

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Wonder Turbine posted:

Targeting is hard, you guys...

Those hotbars confuse and infuriate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I think my biggest question about that screenshot is "Why is Miasma II on 1?"

I mean, I have a lot of questions about that screenshot, but I don't want to look at it for too long.

• Locked thread