Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
didn't even realize Napishtim was on steam until yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I bought Ys Origin while it was on sale this week,. here's to finding the time to play it in 2016 :cheerdoge:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd never heard of these games until this thread so I picked up Oath and Origin during the steam sale. I plowed through Oath over the past week and it was amazing. Every single boss except maybe one or two gave me a serious challenge. I think the hardest boss for me was that one long fire dragon because for some reason I couldn't get the hang of jumping over him when he was on fire.

Last night I started Origin and at first I thought it was way, way easier since I got through the first 3 bosses without dying a single time. Now I'm stuck on the giant centipede. He's seriously kicking my rear end.

Thanks for making this thread, I had no idea what I was missing out on.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'd never heard of these games until this thread so I picked up Oath and Origin during the steam sale. I plowed through Oath over the past week and it was amazing. Every single boss except maybe one or two gave me a serious challenge. I think the hardest boss for me was that one long fire dragon because for some reason I couldn't get the hang of jumping over him when he was on fire.

Last night I started Origin and at first I thought it was way, way easier since I got through the first 3 bosses without dying a single time. Now I'm stuck on the giant centipede. He's seriously kicking my rear end.

A tip for the centipede is to not worry too much about the poison orbs he drops when his sections come off. Just focus on attacking him, and only attack the orbs around you if they're in the way. Good luck, fellow goon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

:peanut:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That centipede gave me the most trouble until the final boss. He's definitely the first hard point. What character did you choose?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

That centipede gave me the most trouble until the final boss. He's definitely the first hard point. What character did you choose?

Yunica because her description sounded the most similar to the way Adol played, which seems to have turned out to be true. I like how her magic skills are similar to Adol's but work just different enough to keep it fresh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Yunica because her description sounded the most similar to the way Adol played, which seems to have turned out to be true. I like how her magic skills are similar to Adol's but work just different enough to keep it fresh.

Yeah, she's way more fun. The other guy is like ranged magic user and it's not as fun staying back and lining up shots than getting in there and messing people up with the axe. Her charged yellow strike move is so awesome

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never really used the Earth Charge much in Oath except when I needed invulnerability, but I'm loving the thunder axe smash.

So far aside from the centipede the majority of my deaths have been from drowning in the second big underwater section because I didn't realize you needed to actually select the water dragon scale in order to not drown fast.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

2 bosses down in Valestein Castle and I think yellow is my new favorite magic. Green was definitely my favorite in my first playthrough but yellow is so drat satisfying to use. I need to find the battle sword...

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

2 bosses down in Valestein Castle and I think yellow is my new favorite magic. Green was definitely my favorite in my first playthrough but yellow is so drat satisfying to use. I need to find the battle sword...

On nightmare, you will soon realize that earth magic is busted as all hell.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Regy if you plan on doing all 3 routes I recommend playing Hugo on the easiest setting cause his mode is a snore.

3rd character the best tho.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Regy if you plan on doing all 3 routes I recommend playing Hugo on the easiest setting cause his mode is a snore.

3rd character the best tho.

I haven't decided yet. I may not do other routes right away, unless there are huge differences?

The reason I say that is that while I haven't played any more today, I might have gotten a bit carried away this morning:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The third character seems dramatically different path and gameplay, so I wanna try him. Hugo from what I understand is kinda lame to play and has identical bosses and whatnot

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Each character has different minibosses as far as I can tell, based on what path their story follows, but I'm pretty positive the big ones are all the same and in the same order.

Yunica's story has the best feels, Hugo's story is the funniest (ironically, and moreso after playing Yunica's), and Claw's is canon/cool.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Regy Rusty posted:

I haven't decided yet. I may not do other routes right away, unless there are huge differences?

The reason I say that is that while I haven't played any more today, I might have gotten a bit carried away this morning:

There's a few unique bosses, 3rd character has an entirely new final boss(because he's the canon route that leads to Ys1)

Also congrats on your good decisions.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I got a little further in seven today. I usually shy away from playing ranged characters in Ys games but the bow princess in this game has some rad special moves that combo is cool ways

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

She's kinda how Bianca worked in dragon quest heroes and she was super fun too

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Oh hell yes.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I personally enjoyed playing as Hugo and found both his gameplay and story to be better than Yunica's.

3rd character is the reason Ys Origin stands as one of my face Ys games though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Evil Eagle posted:

That harpy boss on the mountain was awesome. The best part about replaying this game after so long is that I forgot almost every boss. I have no idea what the bosses are in the castle aside from chester but I do remember that there are like 4 of them.

The ona that spawns spikes ans has a flail was really cool

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Time to end 2015 with a bang.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Time to end 2015 with a bang.

Such a good feeling

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I love how Adol has 6 different sprites depending on your equipment set.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ooof. The final boss is kicking my rear end once he hits phase 2.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat the centipede on my first try today. I like how this game has these giant bosses that you have to climb on and run all over them.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

God drat phase 3 is insane. I love this boss.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Next, the winter of Ys continues with Ark of Napishtim.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Evil Eagle posted:

Happy new Ys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Congrats. Curious to hear what you think of VI, it's he only one at this point I haven't played

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I just realized that Oath has a difficulty beyond nightmare... :dogbutton:

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Ok drat, I finally started Oath in Felghana after some controller issues last I tried, and the intro's music blew me away. I'm totally suckered in. I set the game on normal, is that a mistake?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I've listened to the soundtrack more hours than I've played the game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

Ok drat, I finally started Oath in Felghana after some controller issues last I tried, and the intro's music blew me away. I'm totally suckered in. I set the game on normal, is that a mistake?

No normal is good. Enjoy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bolverkur posted:

Normal is perfect. Hard can be fun for repeats but Nightmare feels like a slog to me since everything has so much drat health

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The thread tag is me after slamming into the final boss's eyeball with earth magic and activating burst to deal 3500 damage in mere seconds.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
VI is good, played the PC version with the patch from insane game translator Nightwolve years back, then i played the cool PS2 port of it with the amaizng 3D intro FMV.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Thanks for the advice! I usually don't appreciate the extra challenge of higher difficulty settings, but today you never know if normal is really that normal.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
for cool Ys history look at anything this dude writes http://www.ysutopia.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hizke posted:

for cool Ys history look at anything this dude writes http://www.ysutopia.net/

Without reading anything on this website it has the look and design of an insane fan site from the early 2000s and it's awesome.

• Locked thread