Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
WOW. The repeater gun is really, really terrible in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I'll join any group for anything except Cataclysm because it's Cataclysm.

I have the Steam name "Thanks"

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 31, 2015

Ursa Majora
Dec 24, 2006

Ohhhh... you touched my Tra La La

xthetenth posted:

It's really weird because they seem to have a really good idea of what would make a fun and good mechanic, but no ability to balance things, where some specials are way more threatening than others, and some weapons are basically the same as another except for a huge downside (thinking especially of maces here).

What's wrong with maces? I just started playing, but mace+shield seems like good fun, you just push rats everywhere.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ursa Majora posted:

What's wrong with maces? I just started playing, but mace+shield seems like good fun, you just push rats everywhere.

Mace and shield is good, because in both it and sword and shield the shield is the primary weapon. Mace alone is like a sword with some slight benefits and one of the horizontal slashes changed to an overhead. That takes the ability to get enemies in your frontal arc and keep them staggered with attacks, and is a way bigger deal than any upside it has.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got a mace with a healing proc for Bright Wizard and I'm still not sure that puts it over my regular flaming sword. The sword probably prevents more damage than the mace heals.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Kruber's is not

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

xthetenth posted:

Mace and shield is good, because in both it and sword and shield the shield is the primary weapon. Mace alone is like a sword with some slight benefits and one of the horizontal slashes changed to an overhead. That takes the ability to get enemies in your frontal arc and keep them staggered with attacks, and is a way bigger deal than any upside it has.

I've been using the shieldless mace for awhile now since I got one with the rogre slaying perk. When using the basic combo, the first two swings will slash horizontally, but the next two go vertical. You can throw out a push after the first two attacks to reset the combo and only do horizontal swings. Stamina comes back too slow for it to be sustainable, but it helps you control a horde long enough to get into a better situation.

Mace is cool, but yeah, I probably wouldn't use it if I had an orange, perked alternative.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Does the rat ogre have multiple hitboxes or does he just take equal damage everywhere?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

My experience is a quarter-half of all shots seem to glitch out and not connect.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Does the rat ogre have multiple hitboxes or does he just take equal damage everywhere?

Headshots do more, of course. Otherwise, I think it's the same all over.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the only hard part of this game is trying to find 3 other human beings without developmental disabilities

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The hardest part of this game is dealing with the fact that after fallout 4 everyone seems to have decided the mumble is dead and don't use it. There's probably enough people on who would be interested if they just got on mumble and/or in the group chat, so you may as well get on it if you're interested.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

xthetenth posted:

The hardest part of this game is dealing with the fact that after fallout 4 everyone seems to have decided the mumble is dead and don't use it. There's probably enough people on who would be interested if they just got on mumble and/or in the group chat, so you may as well get on it if you're interested.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'd recommend using LookingForGroup as an informal hangout group to idle in. Even if you don't see enough people, just chill in there and shoot the poo poo with anyone who comes in. It's a nice little way to keep from being a complete homebound goon and also makes it seem less depressing when people show up looking for a game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just got this the other day and i think it's pretty cool that good loot is nice and all but it's not absolutely essential to play and have fun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah it surprised me a lot that leveling up - besides giving you trinket slots - is basically just there. It's all about loot and skill, and I don't have any of eithe... wait :negative:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Awesome games, guys on mumble, it was great getting that going again, I'd forgotten how much smoother that is.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

xthetenth posted:

Awesome games, guys on mumble, it was great getting that going again, I'd forgotten how much smoother that is.
Yeah! I'm super pumped I got that fancy hat tonight. Only the fanciest of hats for Kruber!

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
What is good in life? A long hallway, an oncoming slaverat horde, duel flintlocks in your hands, and an ammo box at your feet.

I thought the mage was OP in normal mode but then thought she was crappy in hard mode and up. Damage as just too low and the constant health chipping whenever I hosed up and got burnt soured me a bit. Found her a lot more useful when I stopped trying to kill things with the fire beam and instead just swept it around to set as many targets on fire as possible. The stun when rats initially get lit up staggers the numbers coming at you enough to make even the biggest horde rushes manageable.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 1, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Damage as just too low and the constant health chipping whenever I hosed up and got burnt soured me a bit.

Uhhh she has the most OP weapon in the game right now capable of melting nightmare rogers by itself in under 20 seconds.

You're taking damage because you're venting heat when over the bars. Just being over the bars doesn't do anything to you.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Just bought this and it's downloading now. After reading the thread I am super excited to get balls deep in rats.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just read that shoving works 360 degrees around you just like blocking. Good to know if true.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Was drawn heavily to the glass cannons early on but I'm really feeling the Empire Soldier now that I got an Arming Sword. It's plain basic-rear end white but the arc on it is so good and I find myself cleaving huge waves with spammed charge attacks and dispatching specials with the Harquebus.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm sure the answer is to not worry that much about it, but i'm not exactly sure if any of the weapons i've been getting are awful compared to the others. mostly i've been trying to get dwarf stuff and i just got a blue 1-hand axe, but i'm not even sure if the charge attack on the 1h axe by itself is worth it to give up a shield or a 2h weapon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I do not play elf or wizard as often as the others but here's how I'd rank the weapons

:clint:
-Sword and shield
-Axe and shield
-Drakefire pistols
-Handguns
-Beam staff

:cool:
-Mace and shield
-Hammer and shield
-Two-handed hammer
-Two-handed sword
-Rapier
-Sword and dagger
-Brace of pistols
-Repeater handgun
-Crossbows
-Conflagration staff
-Bolt staff

:)
-Two-handed axe
-Sword
-Flaming sword
-Dual daggers
-Dual swords
-Longbow
-Trueflight longbow

:raise:
-Mace
-Axe
-Fireball staff
-Hagbane swiftbow
-Grudge raker

:negative:
-Hammer
-Repeater pistol
-Swiftbow
-Blunderbuss

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Belrouze posted:

I am super excited to get balls deep in rats.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 1, 2016

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Was drawn heavily to the glass cannons early on but I'm really feeling the Empire Soldier now that I got an Arming Sword. It's plain basic-rear end white but the arc on it is so good and I find myself cleaving huge waves with spammed charge attacks and dispatching specials with the Harquebus.
I just got the Harquebus tonight, and getting it was a revelation. I was one-shotting globadiers and stormvermin in ways I didn't think possible, it was great. Definitely keeping it with the two-handed hammer as Kruber.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Hagbane is easily the most overpowered weapon in the game right now. Dunno why people keep putting it so low on their lists because it controls crowds, (needs 30% more ammo perk) has good ammo, and with or without a strength potion more than outdoes the beam staff against the ogre (and everything else in the game), and on top of it all, it ignores defense & armor. It's just gravy that the bow also fires the fastest, even more than the regular swiftbow for some reason. The elf just plain has the best weapons (Sword & Dagger + Hagbane) because they excel for every single situation in the game and have no downsides.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Hagbane loving suuucks when the arrow ends up in the back of your head. I absolutely hate playing with any Hagbane elf unless they're 100% on the ball about not hitting friendlies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you nick an ally with the Hagbane on Nightmare it hurts like hell, though, unlike most friendly fire.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I started playing a few days ago. I bought myself and two friends a copy each for Christmas. They can't get through a single game without crashing, and their support ticket got him an email to try stuff he already tried with no luck.

Whatever this last patch added is what started the crashing. And no one seems to have a fix for it.

So I've been playing alone with pubbies. They are sometimes bad, sometimes okay. Rarely you get a great group of friendly people using voice chat. I enjoy this game a lot. Even after years of binge L4D and L4D2 with friends, this is different enough to feel completely fresh. Seriously, why did it take this long for a L4D-like game to add classes, loot and leveling? It's great.

You know, unless your dice do this:

Anyway, bright wizard and the archer are awesome classes. What staff for Bright Wizard do you guys use? I'm pretty stuck with the default or conflageration staff for their versatility.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

That's why you don't play side missions unless you have to unlock the rest of the main ones.

As a wizard use the Longsword or Flaming Sword with Beam Staff or Conflagration.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 1, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've just been hitting Any when looking for a match, to make sure I have short matchmaking times. Should I be doing all of the new missions instead of repeating any of the missions?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Really you can do whatever, but as you go on I'd say it's worth trying to get ones you haven't done yet first, keep it fresh and see new stuff, that kinda deal.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it possible to play the game single-player? I know it sounds silly, but I don't want to make myself look like a complete idiot when I play with my mates.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I do not play elf or wizard as often as the others but here's how I'd rank the weapons

All that feels pretty right to me, but there are definitely some traits that bump a weapon up two categories or more. The four shot version of the grudgeraker being one of them or master crafted on a handgun.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Avenging Dentist posted:

Hagbane loving suuucks when the arrow ends up in the back of your head. I absolutely hate playing with any Hagbane elf unless they're 100% on the ball about not hitting friendlies.

Hagbane also tends to run out of arrows without the expanded ammo and kill replenish trait compared to unlimited power of the sun for the beam staff.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Is it possible to play the game single-player? I know it sounds silly, but I don't want to make myself look like a complete idiot when I play with my mates.

Sure, just start up a private game by yourself, you'll get bots to control the other three characters. While I don't know what your deal is, I'd say just play with your pals. They'll be able to give you lots of good info and feedback just through natural play, and just have fun with it.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Nice, got my first exotic. A Witch Hunter claymore with enhanced pushback, ammo recovery on kills, and bloodlust. Also got a trinket that increases health when knocked down by 40%. Good stuff all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Uhhh she has the most OP weapon in the game right now capable of melting nightmare rogers by itself in under 20 seconds.

You're taking damage because you're venting heat when over the bars. Just being over the bars doesn't do anything to you.

Yeah, the Beam staff did not need a buff. It's kinda... too good, it can do AoE and CC and AoECC better than the conflag staff cause of how fast the beam hits, as well as being a stunlocking single target machine.

• Locked thread