Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
i bet his nuts are feeling plenty safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The cone is demonstrating what happened to that Carnival elevator worker.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

They actually named the building "The Address"? Were they big Abbott and Costello fans?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

According to some news sources, nobody was hurt at all in that fire... which I find hard to believe but perhaps they have a proper evacuation procedure. Anyway, Dubai authorities have said that new year's festivities can continue as planned.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

According to some news sources, nobody was hurt at all in that fire... which I find hard to believe but perhaps they have a proper evacuation procedure. Anyway, Dubai authorities have said that new year's festivities can continue as planned.

slaves aren't people

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

They threw slaves into the blaze until the bodies covered the fire enough to deprive it of oxygen.

efb for slave joke

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The news here had an interview with some random guest who was surprised at how easy the building was to evacuate, so maybe they spent some small fraction of the (no doubt obscene) total price on proper security planning?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Robo Reagan posted:

slaves aren't people

Well... they're 3/5 of a peoples.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Isn't this the second time this year one of dubai's towers has burned?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's been some towers in china burning down too. I don't know what's up witht he Dubai one but in China there were hundreds of towers built with an aluminum cladding with iron pigment paints/coating and some other poo poo that when ignited became thermite. When the product tried to come to the west for approval they couldn't actually measure how flammable it was because it got so hot so fast it broke the testing machine. But totally fine to cover a skyscraper in it.

The building standards outside the west are really really bad. Even if they're ok on paper, there's so much bribery and corruption and cultural/institutional corner-cutting and graft that you end up with some extremely unsafe buildings and job sites.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

There's been some towers in china burning down too. I don't know what's up witht he Dubai one but in China there were hundreds of towers built with an aluminum cladding with iron pigment paints/coating and some other poo poo that when ignited became thermite. When the product tried to come to the west for approval they couldn't actually measure how flammable it was because it got so hot so fast it broke the testing machine. But totally fine to cover a skyscraper in it.

The building standards outside the west are really really bad. Even if they're ok on paper, there's so much bribery and corruption and cultural/institutional corner-cutting and graft that you end up with some extremely unsafe buildings and job sites.

I work for a crane operator/inspector training company and I can back this up. Many foreign companies (the ones that care) simply hire American companies like mine to train to OSHA standards, as they either have inferior standards for safe crane operation and training or lack them altogether. Our common customer nations include companies from Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Peru, Chile, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Trinidad & Tobago, and so on. The US military also hires us to do training, even though the military is exempt from most OSHA standards; they just establish their own policies that require following OSHA.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 31, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I swear I remember watching a documentary about the construction in Dubai, and one of the companies had to halt work until an american firm could come in and train the workers how to build a basic cinderblock wall.

Which they had to rebuild three or four times because the quality was so poor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I swear I remember watching a documentary about the construction in Dubai, and one of the companies had to halt work until an american firm could come in and train the workers how to build a basic cinderblock wall.

Which they had to rebuild three or four times because the quality was so poor.

One of our most common customers for huge training jobs is TÜV NORD's Middle Eastern division. It's quite common for our instructors to go to Dubai several times a year, which they generally dislike; along with the obvious problems with racism and Islamophobia (all of our instructors are old white guys, many of them good ol' boys from the South), they tend to struggle with both a language barrier and inattentive and rude students who practically have to be forced to pay attention. According to one instructor's notes when he came back, he also struggled with rampant cheating among the students. They simply ignored him when he told them not to talk to each other during the tests.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carbon dioxide posted:

Isn't that the highrise they couldn't get anyone to move into so its still just empty?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zedprime posted:

Isn't that the highrise they couldn't get anyone to move into so its still just empty?

I don't know about the Address specifically, but Dubai has a ton of empty hotel rooms in general.

Edit: The site has a problem with randomly redirecting to other articles for no reason, so I'll copy the text of the article here just in case:

quote:

Dubai’s hotels had the lowest occupancy in at least 18 years in July, standing more than half empty, as more rooms were created and demand declined, according to research firm STR Global.

Occupancy declined 11.8 percentage points to 45.4 percent from a year earlier, STR Global said in a report dated yesterday. That’s the lowest since the company began tracking the Dubai hospitality market.

Dubai, which built some of the world’s most recognizable hotels such as the sail-shaped Burj al Arab, plans to almost double the number of hotel rooms by 2020 as it expects a surge of visitors ahead of the World Expo that year. The emirate is targeting about 160,000 rooms, many of them in the three- and four-star category rather than the luxury segment, Helal Saeed Almarri, director general of the Dubai Tourism and Commerce Marketing, said in March.

“As July is one of the hottest months within the region and coincides with the fasting month of Ramadan, the city had an overall negative trend, on top of growing supply,” Elizabeth Winkle, managing director of STR Global, said in the report.

Revenue per available room, an industry measure of occupancy and rates, fell 7.4 percent to 290.23 dirhams ($79) according to STR Global, which advises hotel operators, developers and banks on the hospitality industry.
Dubai, one of seven sheikhdoms that make up the United Arab Emirates, attracted 11 million tourists last year, up 11 percent from 2012, helping the economy expand at the fastest pace in six years. The hospitality industry benefited after the Arab Spring, drawing tourists who were avoiding political turmoil in destinations such as Egypt and Syria.

Likewise, Dubai has a lot of empty office space. It may look fancy, but the expensive areas are a ghost town.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 31, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
there's literally nothing worth doing in dubai. turns out nobody wants to go somewhere where you cant get drunk gently caress or gamble.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't it just the composite's core being made of cheaper, more readily flammable plastic?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Darkman Fanpage posted:

there's literally nothing worth doing in dubai. turns out nobody wants to go somewhere where you cant get drunk gently caress or gamble.

or go to prison for 4 years for having a speck of marijuana on your shoe

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

One of our most common customers for huge training jobs is TÜV NORD's Middle Eastern division. It's quite common for our instructors to go to Dubai several times a year, which they generally dislike; along with the obvious problems with racism and Islamophobia (all of our instructors are old white guys, many of them good ol' boys from the South), they tend to struggle with both a language barrier and inattentive and rude students who practically have to be forced to pay attention. According to one instructor's notes when he came back, he also struggled with rampant cheating among the students. They simply ignored him when he told them not to talk to each other during the tests.

My college sends faculty members there to train therapists, since they don't have many trained educators in the field in Dubai. Problem is, the field is dominated by women here, and we are constantly asked to send only male instructors. So there is literally one assistant male professor that gets roped into going every year and is pretty miserable about it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dienes posted:

My college sends faculty members there to train therapists, since they don't have many trained educators in the field in Dubai. Problem is, the field is dominated by women here, and we are constantly asked to send only male instructors. So there is literally one assistant male professor that gets roped into going every year and is pretty miserable about it.

It's usually a fight among the instructors and management to decide who gets the latest Middle East job. More than one instructor has tried to point blank refuse; in one case, his wife was declaring that he couldn't go because of a misguided fear that the entire Middle East is just some gestalt of terrorism and decapitations of tourists. The biggest threats in Dubai are heatstroke and boredom.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Why not set up his own consultancy and charge like a half mil per training class if the demand is that high?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I unscrewed a pc power supply once and apparently I could of died because of this. Well I didn't, good times.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

here's to a safe 2016 where no-one will catch fire and fall down a hole

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

treasure bear posted:

I have bad news just now in from Dubai.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

treasure bear posted:

It's really saying something that this is a legitimate hope and not just sarcasm

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/tJ41cOZ.webm

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

you can do all these things in dubai

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

TBH there is plenty of leverage there. Shouldn't take more than 100 lbs or so to hold that thing in place.

Physics be damned I'm not going to trust my life on a pile of haphazardly stacked sandbags are you loving insane.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

It's really saying something that this is a legitimate hope and not just sarcasm
To be fair there are billions of people in the world.

Someone is going to catch fire and fall down a hole.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A friend passed this scene in Mexico

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Snowy posted:

That's kind of clever in a way.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Snowy posted:

I don't understand how that works. Can someone draw me a free body diagram?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

The ladder is hooked in at the roof and the wooden legs just provide space from the wall.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

this feels like one of those pics that's taken right before someone dies

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Uthor posted:

It looks like the ladder is hooked over the roof edge in some way so it isn't just the wood holding it up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CampingCarl posted:

It looks like the ladder is hooked over the roof edge in some way so it isn't just the wood holding it up.

I think the hooks at the top are the only thing supporting it. That wooden contraption is just keeping the ladder away from the wall.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, the other endemic problem there is any non-worker position, if not taken by a foreign contractor, is likely a relative of the owner of the company and immune to firing. I can only imagine how hard it is to convince people safety is a priority when everyone below you is slave labor and everyone above you is the stereotypical boss' son who wants to get paid for doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.

This is the fun, happy kind of OSHA.gif where everyone walks away and nobody ends up in the hospital or the morgue. The Fisher Price of OSHA.

• Locked thread