Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Has there ever been that exact card as a sorcery? Compulsive Research without the conditional discard 1?

I'm guessing Divination is a better card most of the time.

Divination is usually better yeah, since it puts you up a card and this card doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oath of Chandra's just gonna be ETB discard 2 draw 2, on upkeep, deal X to opponent, where X is planeswalkers you control. It will also be 2 more mana than Oath of Jace.

Because of course it will be.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 31, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

loving lol. Didn't take long for the hype train to go off the rails.

Wasn't it Angry Grimace who posted about adding this to the bingo card? At this point it should be the free space.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Count Bleck posted:

Oath of Chandra's just gonna be bad loot, on upkeep, deal X to opponent, where X is planeswalkers you control.

Because of course it is.

Oath of Chandra is going to be Orcish Cannonade on ETB.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Has there ever been that exact card as a sorcery? Compulsive Research without the conditional discard 1?

I'm guessing Divination is a better card most of the time.

This exact card, not that I can think of. The closest to my recollection is Dream Cache:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Madmarker posted:

This exact card, not that I can think of. The closest to my recollection is Dream Cache:

Sweet all around card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Niton posted:

Oath of Chandra is going to be Orcish Cannonade on ETB.

Somehow this is worse than I could've imagined.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

AlternateNu posted:

God, fire the people who do this into the goddamn sun.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Why did the price of Seance go up again

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It's gone up about 25% in the last couple weeks.

Why.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Why did the price of Seance go up again

Because somebody felt like spending several hundreds of dollars to make a net profit of 100, before shipping and handling, and also other taxes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Madmarker posted:

You fail for posting this card with inferior non Phil Foglio art

The funny part is that they probably wouldn't print this card because it functionally operates as Brainstorm and they seem to hate Brainstorm effects for literally any amount of mana these days.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 31, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You fail for posting this card with inferior non Phil Foglio art

i need this art bigger so i can find the penis

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's gone up about 25% in the last couple weeks.

Why.

Because the dude that won the GP with Lantern Control has been brewing up Seance decks probably. TCGPlayers newsletter has a deck of the week type section and a Seance deck was listed

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Foglio suuuuuucks

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dehtraen posted:

Because the dude that won the GP with Lantern Control has been brewing up Seance decks probably. TCGPlayers newsletter has a deck of the week type section and a Seance deck was listed

Isn't because of that guy that bought out all the Seance for some kind of batshit moron mtgfinance scheme?

Also the Lantern guy bugs me. He comes off as super-smug about how he found some deck that sucked and he used his superhuman SKILLZ to make it tournament winning tier. I mean, he's obviously a great player, but its not like he invented Hulk Footsteps or Lantern Control.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 31, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

seance works good with thragtusk, seige rhino, and a bunch of other creatures that are just better then actually playing the card Seance

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

God, fire the people who do this into the goddamn sun.

As a relatively new magic player this poo poo is awful. I saw some of the cool pretty cheap modern eldrazi decks, and now this happens. I stumbled onto the reddit magic sections and the number of people saying the want to get into Magic for financial reasons is amazing and depressing. I just want to play cool cards that are exorbitantly priced

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Angry Grimace posted:

Also the Lantern guy bugs me. He comes off as super-smug about how he found some deck that sucked and he used his superhuman SKILLZ to make it tournament winning tier. I mean, he's obviously a great player, but its not like he invented Hulk Footsteps or Lantern Control.

Wait, what?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Modern Eldrazi doesn't even play any of the old eldrazi does it

how sad :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chairman Pow! posted:

As a relatively new magic player this poo poo is awful. I saw some of the cool pretty cheap modern eldrazi decks, and now this happens. I stumbled onto the reddit magic sections and the number of people saying the want to get into Magic for financial reasons is amazing and depressing. I just want to play cool cards that are exorbitantly priced

I am pretty sure that grinding MODO is a more stable and well paying sub minimum wage job than mtg finance is but I guess it requires more tangible skills

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

Heh, this was just reprinted too.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

mcmagic posted:

Looking up the versions of Eye of Ugin I realized, for the first time, that it actually went down in rarity from WWK -> MM2. Has that happened with any other cards in the MM sets where it wasn't obviously for limited purposes (e.g. Feudkiller's Verdict)?

I bet even with the rarity shift the supply of the worldwake version is way better :lol:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Modern Eldrazi doesn't even play any of the old eldrazi does it

how sad :(
The point is to abuse sol lands that were intended for 8+ mana cards with way cheaper ones from BFZ I guess. Also Newlamog is just stronger than them.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What I can't figure out is "How does this bubble pop?" We've clearly seen that these people will hold onto their inflated price come hell or high water, and I don't think anybody (or at least, not an appreciable number of people) has a large enough chunk of their net worth in these things that they'll be forced to liquidate, so a huge drop in demand isn't going to dislodge it.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Can we just go to Ravnica. I'm sick of Zendikar already

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Lord of Hats posted:

What I can't figure out is "How does this bubble pop?" We've clearly seen that these people will hold onto their inflated price come hell or high water, and I don't think anybody (or at least, not an appreciable number of people) has a large enough chunk of their net worth in these things that they'll be forced to liquidate, so a huge drop in demand isn't going to dislodge it.

Price memory in mtg is dumb. I am pretty sure that this really only benefits the retailers who aren't going to raise their buy list prices but can raise the price floor on poo poo that nobody wants to actually buy when stuff like this happens.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Lord of Hats posted:

It pops when no one buys but the seller is a fuckwit who can't accept not making a profit off of a stupid gamble so all that happens is that the supply of the card in the world has decreased.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It pops when no one buys but the seller is a fuckwit who can't accept not making a profit off of a stupid gamble so all that happens is that the supply of the card in the world has decreased.

That's the opposite of it popping, no?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm not lookiing forward to playing against Atarka Red decks with this new Bushwacker...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

FordCQC posted:

Wait, what?

He's done a couple of deck techs with various places and came off like this. During the Lantern one he stressed that not everyone is good enough to play the deck and he also said something along the lines of the deck being bad until he made it way better and said a few similar things when he played Hulk Footsteps at a different GP. Its not like I know him, he just rubbed me the wrong way.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

A bunch of dudes who now have 5+ eye of ulamog sitting around that they won't be able to sell for more than they paid for it doesn't increase demand for eye of ulamog

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

MTG's bubbles don't pop in the traditional sense because prices only go down when reprints happen. Instead the people holding the bag are the fuckwit who caused it and anyone who made the boneheaded mistake of not knowing that fuckwit was about to go.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

is it really 24 now or is that a graphical glitch?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Look at the Secluded Glen price history around the time of the Bitterblossom unbanning to see it in action

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

He's done a couple of deck techs with various places and came off like this. During the Lantern one he stressed that not everyone is good enough to play the deck and he also said something along the lines of the deck being bad until he made it way better and said a few similar things when he played Hulk Footsteps at a different GP. Its not like I know him, he just rubbed me the wrong way.

Well, I mean: Lantern is not a deck that is easy to play to its fullest potential. While it is absolutely true that all decks get better with better pilots, you'll notice a larger difference as the games get grindier, because you have more opportunities to misplay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

A bunch of dudes who now have 5+ eye of ulamog sitting around that they won't be able to sell for more than they paid for it doesn't increase demand for eye of ulamog

As long as the price is permanently affected (which, from what little I've followed this stuff, it often is), the bubble is perpetuated is all I'm getting at.

rabidsquid posted:

Look at the Secluded Glen price history around the time of the Bitterblossom unbanning to see it in action

Exactly. It's now over 2x the pre-unbanning price despite not really seeing much more play (afaik).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

But there's not an actual increased demand for the card so it's not like anyone is benefiting from it. It's literally just price memory on a card people aren't buying.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

But there's not an actual increased demand for the card so it's not like anyone is benefiting from it. It's literally just price memory on a card people aren't buying.

I think we're in agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
itll pop when #mtgfinance starts to choke out the playerbase and lose wotc money

• Locked thread