Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Reds posted:

On that note, the hundred man fight is still the silliest thing. You'd think after the first three hours and fifty men the plan of wearing him down isn't working before they charge headfirst into a meat grinder. Although one of my favourite scenes remains the time where some captain calls Guts's reputation exaggerated before he bursts through the door while killing three men in one swing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_GbNPxyMFc&t=263s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

It's a comment so old it was tired before Berserk was written, yes.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
The 90s anime is fantastic, IMO. Yeah, the animation has some issues, but the backgrounds are often beautiful, the voice acting is great, the soundtrack is awesome, and it gets basically all key moments right. It was my intro to Berserk and I loved it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reds posted:

I just don't get where people get the lack of animation thing from, even in a scene like the hundred man fight there's a perfectly good animated shot for every still pan, and usually the pan is after he's hit somebody.
"There's an actually animated shot for every still image they pan over" is more of an insult than a compliment.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what is the best way to read berserk nowadays? I could use a refresher and I think it'll be pretty easy from now till the next issue.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

cmykjester posted:

So what is the best way to read berserk nowadays? I could use a refresher and I think it'll be pretty easy from now till the next issue.

Very carefully :D :cheers:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

cmykjester posted:

By moving your eyes across the words and pictures.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

cmykjester posted:

By listening to Susumu Hirasawa's music at the same time.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the 90s anime owns. it skips a lot of important plot points for later on but it completely captures the feel of berserk

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The anime is weird and ethereal feeling while also being horrible and gritty. The first episode basically makes the harsh cliff hanger kinda work, because the whole golden age arc even as you forget the first ep its in the back of your mind that the world they are in then is not the world theyll end up in.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i liked the anime a lot, and it did feel like the "barely animated" reputation was overplayed. as others have said it's got a great cast and ost, and hits everything you need to in a Golden Age adaptation.

i do still like the movies for the beautiful 2d stuff, and they have pretty good soundtracks too.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
The animation for the original anime was bad, yeah, but it was still awesome.

Ugh the cg animation in the new series is bad, not gonna watch this poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's almost like there are differences between "technically inept," "underbudgeted," and "ugly" that might bother different people

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's almost like there are differences between "technically inept," "underbudgeted," and "ugly" that might bother different people

Fortunately, this appears set to hit them all!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rodyle posted:

Fortunately, this appears set to hit them all!

oh sure, i'm speaking more in defense of the old TV anime

i'll probably watch this new show no matter how bad it looks as long as a) they don't skip or undermine every character-defining moment like the movies b) they really are going to get past the golden age

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I hope they skip important scenes and replace them with utterly useless ones.

"I mean, we have this whole subplot about the queen wanting to kill Griffith and his revenge is a huge part of showing just how cunning and dangerous Griffith is becoming, and there's also that 'bonfire of dreams' thing that's a pretty big deal, but idk, I think people want to see some ballroom dancing, that just screams Berserk."

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
not including the bonfire of dreams in the movies was a really weird choice. I can understand cutting stuff like skull knight from the og anime even because the story wasnt gonna go past the golden age but cutting the bonfire of dreams kinda makes the story lose a lot of its depth

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Who doesn't love the original anime? Put your grasses on nothing will be wong is still my jam

Too late, it's too late

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Berserk taught me that the worst thing about waiting is the uncertainty of it. This hiatus has a definitive timeline, so is more preferable.

Is this the Stockholm syndrome talking?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Who doesn't love the original anime? Put your grasses on nothing will be wong is still my jam

Too late, it's too late
Thanks for reminding me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Grimwall posted:

Berserk taught me that the worst thing about waiting is the uncertainty of it. This hiatus has a definitive timeline, so is more preferable.

Is this the Stockholm syndrome talking?
For me the worst thing is memory, I hate having slow updating series where you come back to a new chapter and realize you've forgotten way too loving much. I know rereads are fun but I don't have the free time to invest for them.
It's always been about the journey for me so I don't think I'd be too broken up if Miura never managed to finish it (though I hope that doesn't happen obviously). I guess our best chance is getting a Berserk live action HBO show so Kentaro has to tell those dudes all his secret future arcs and plans (and then they can gently caress it up/not gently caress it up/ and get in rape controversies, it's totally up their avenue).

Also I can't believe we're actually immediately on hiatus again, I'd just assumed the thread title was a joke. jfc

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Well it's a hiatus after a string of updates unprecedented in the last decade culminating at finally being off the ship. If the show didn't look like a garbage it'd be pretty kewl in berserk town all around, hiatus or no

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I just hit the part where griffith comes back. if guts ever kills griffith will he become like the skull rider dude?

like has a sacrifice person ever killed the person who gave them the mark? this poo poo is never going to end so I don't care about spoilers. just don't tell me how or if that stupid rear end in a top hat zodd dies

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Zodd, Guts, Griffith, and Charlotte kill each other in the ultimate Mexican standoff/love rectangle [/spoilers]

temple
Jul 29, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I just hit the part where griffith comes back. if guts ever kills griffith will he become like the skull rider dude?

like has a sacrifice person ever killed the person who gave them the mark? this poo poo is never going to end so I don't care about spoilers. just don't tell me how or if that stupid rear end in a top hat zodd dies

Berserk isn't like vampires. Sacrifices by definition aren't supposed to be alive, let alone survive, so I doubt anyone has lived to kill the person that sacrificed them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Guts and Casca are pretty much implicitly the only two sacrifices ever to survive.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bad Seafood posted:

Guts and Casca are pretty much implicitly the only two sacrifices ever to survive.

Don't forget the Skull Knight!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm not entirely sure we're up to speed with what his deal is, though he'd be a probable third pick to be sure.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
the skull knight is so goddamn cool

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm not going to be satisfied until guts grabs zodd's arms and beats him to death while yelling "stop hitting yourself stop hitting yourself!"

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Reds posted:

The first episode of the anime covers that snake count guy to provide a little context for the post-Golden Age world and to explain to the anime-only viewer that things went to poo poo. It removes Puck and condenses it a bit, but that's about it. There's nothing about it that would mess up the rest of the series because it's set afterwards so I don't know what your friend is talking about.
I remember going into the anime completely blind, and the first episode came across as a strange fever dream that I never fully understood until I read the actual manga. It probably didn't help that the anime I'd previously watched were pretty much 70s dubbed shows from my childhood.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I think that Skull knight was sacrificed by Void. This isn't based on anything other than the knights extremely advanced age.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

And it just seems right because all the other God hands are bitchmade when compared to Void.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
plus they both have no noses

an undeniable bond

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
No noses, perfect teeth. A match made in heaven. Or possibly hell.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Daler Mehndi posted:

I remember going into the anime completely blind, and the first episode came across as a strange fever dream that I never fully understood until I read the actual manga. It probably didn't help that the anime I'd previously watched were pretty much 70s dubbed shows from my childhood.
The anime show mentions that something about king griffith in the first episode if you pay attention. Which is funny because griffith isn't a king, even now and he wouldn't have been at that point of the publication. Just proof that Miura is making this up as he goes.

Zzulu posted:

an undeniable bond
They're both skulls.

temple fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 6, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
It's been a really long time but isn't SK implied to be the king of a big kingdom that existed before and that everybody was sacrificed by Void that was probably some kind of counselor from said king ? I barely remember this stuff, maybe I need to re-read the series. Parts of the old kingdom are at the bottom of the tower that Griffith was tortured or something

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ZZZorcerer posted:

Parts of the old kingdom are at the bottom of the tower that Griffith was tortured or something

This is the only part that's actually in the manga, everything else is speculation/extrapolation from interviews/outside sources.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

an undeniable bond

The members of the godhand chose their new forms when they joined, so Void decided he would look like a failed autopsy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would speculate that in the same vein of having a big weird brain to be better at weird spacetime magic or whatever the gently caress it is he does, he wanted to remove his earthly senses, hence the sewn shut eyes, removed nose and hosed up mouth, but then again homies still got ears so :question: