Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's the equivalent of dudes warming up on a barbell with low weight for 2 minutes then stacking 5 45s on each side to get about a 4" ROM for one set of five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It's the equivalent of dudes warming up on a barbell with low weight for 2 minutes then stacking 5 45s on each side to get about a 4" ROM for one set of five

Man, I'll be honest. I don't put up a bunch of weight, but you better bet your loving rear end I lift all of my weight completely through the entire range of motion. Slowly. Like I'm taking a big slow steamy poo poo-uughghahhgyeaaaaa-- anyway the best is the squat rack. Lemme just slightly bend my knees, yup, 500lbs no problem.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Everytime I do my bi-annual "time to get fit!" routine I have to start with 35s on each side if not 25 it's embarrassing

And front squats? Lol good lord

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Everytime I do my bi-annual "time to get fit!" routine I have to start with 35s on each side if not 25 it's embarrassing

:gowron:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

I think I need to start doing high bar twice a week, my loving off the floor is poo poo because my quads are hilariously behind the rest of my body in terms of strength and size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-V-_pcb7N4

Starting out looking like a dog about to take a poo poo is what may be slowing you down with the beginning of the lift. In the beginning e you're trying to lift the majority of the weight with your back and not using your legs and hips until later. You start with your legs and hips in a high position which is why you start the lift with a huge arch. Try getting your rear end lower and your back straighter during your setup. You may have to back off the bar another inch or two depending on your mobility. Starting out with your head up may also help you start out with your back a little straighter instead of starring straight down and hunching.

Many forms of cleans are great for building speed and explosiveness off the floor for a dead lift by teaching you to use your legs/hips more and not rely so much on your back, other than to keep it straight.

I'm actually trying to get you hurt so I can stay the #1 deadlifter in this thread

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 31, 2015

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

elite_garbage_man posted:

Starting out looking like a dog about to take a poo poo is what may be slowing you down with the beginning of the lift. In the beginning e you're trying to lift the majority of the weight with your back and not using your legs and hips until later. You start with your legs and hips in a high position which is why you start the lift with a huge arch. Try getting your rear end lower and your back straighter during your setup. You may have to back off the bar another inch or two depending on your mobility. Starting out with your head up may also help you start out with your back a little straighter instead of starring straight down and hunching.

Many forms of cleans are great for building speed and explosiveness off the floor for a dead lift by teaching you to use your legs/hips more and not rely so much on your back, other than to keep it straight.

I'm actually trying to get you hurt so I can stay the #1 deadlifter in this thread

:sissies:

I lean heavily towards the rounded upper back camp anyway, but yeah my positioning isn't stellar by any means. Like I said my quads are poo poo right now so I think that's dogpiling on my slightly terrible form and the assbaby result is my hips are too high initiating the pull, I can only blame so much on being out of the game for 3 years and starting back up in August-ish. I'm probably going to add in deficit deads and maybe some speed or bands work to help my below the knee out in addition to just general amping up my squat. I will say I've never had a single problem above the knee which I can credit at least in part to doing insane Kroc rows until I feel all faint and puke-y, like 140s for 2 sets of 12 then the Mayan apocalypse of a last set for 20+ with straps.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
deficit dls are pretty legit for fixing dat form too

lifting news: I took a 6lb poo poo at the gym today

pr baby!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

deficit dls are pretty legit for fixing dat form too

lifting news: I took a 6lb poo poo at the gym today

pr baby!

is it a boy or girl?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My weightlifting regime is mostly tossing dudes and hugging them in BJJ matches.

You already know the answer to this KFF, you are the poo poo baby after all.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Agreed with all of this. That back is way too rounded and there's no utilization of the legs. It physically hurt me watching that lift.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Pulled 545 just before that, I think it looks a decent bit better and definitely has more leg drive. I have no loving idea what happened with my left foot/leg though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itL5DIvUgD0

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I can never figure out how rounded your back can be on deadlifts. Yours looks rounded as gently caress but that seems to be how every other professional does it too

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I just bought a townhouse with a garage big enough for my car and something else, so I'm thinking about doing a home gym. Does anyone have any suggestions for a not-crazy-expensive power rack and bench that I can get? I'm sick of waking up rear end-early to drive 15 minutes to get to the gym by 4am, and then driving 15 mins back so I can get to work by 6:30. I'm willing to spend the extra $$ to not have to wake up at 3:30 to work out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

At least get a quality squat rack for real

Craigslist

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

pkells posted:

I just bought a townhouse with a garage big enough for my car and something else, so I'm thinking about doing a home gym. Does anyone have any suggestions for a not-crazy-expensive power rack and bench that I can get? I'm sick of waking up rear end-early to drive 15 minutes to get to the gym by 4am, and then driving 15 mins back so I can get to work by 6:30. I'm willing to spend the extra $$ to not have to wake up at 3:30 to work out.

Do you have a college anywhere near you? They're usually a good source of exercise gear at the end of the academic year.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

At least get a quality squat rack for real

Craigslist

Stands should be fine for a garage setup I would think. Cage seems to be a little much.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh sorry I just meant get quality in general. Cracks me up when people chimp out on something that may be holding upwards of 300 lbs over their body

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm not looking to spend $2000 on some top of the line rack, but I want something that's not going to kill me.

Not a bad idea about college gyms though. I've got a few nearby, and I probably won't make any purchase until I get back from OTS in late March.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Colleges are also nice because the brodudes move out at the end of semesters and post their weight stuff on craigslist. Got a lot of weight for cheap from there. Don't really care that it's standard and not Olympic type; weight is weight.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Not only that, but the athletic departments typically sell off their "old" gear after a few years so they can have shiny stuff for recruits. A friend of mine got a gorgeous Olympic platform and rack from university of Maryland for a couple hundred dollars because they were upgrading.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I can never figure out how rounded your back can be on deadlifts. Yours looks rounded as gently caress but that seems to be how every other professional does it too

You can see my lumbar spine is completely flat as a board, which for the most part is what you actually worry about. Some people round their upper backs, some don't. That's more of a question of individual biomechanics and leverages than any one true way to deadlift. I've got poo poo flexibility especially ankle dorsiflexion so that plus weaker quads results in my hips being higher than they should be at the start of the pull, which makes my upper back round more than I actually normally do.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Cracks me up when people chimp out on something that may be holding upwards of 300 lbs over their body
:gowron:

tell me more about people chimping out while lifting weights :allears:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I think he meant cheap out, chimp out doesn't make sense in that context. :eng101:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I think he meant cheap out, chimp out doesn't make sense in that context. :eng101:

yea but it made me laugh my rear end off

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah idk what happened there

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i believe they call that a freudian slip my good man. it simply means your inner racist decided to say hello

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:tipshat:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I got myself a marine ILBE with shoulder straps and waist belt.

My plan is to start some light rucking at 30-40 lbs and work up to 70-80 near my departure for OCS. My question is: what is the best thing to put into the ruck sack to achieve that weight? I'm looking around my house and I can't really find anything that would really help me attain that weight, except for the 10-20 lbs dumbbells that my wife has.

I'm considering just stuffing the pack with a ton of clothing and in the middle, just throwing a 20 lb weight in it, water and some food. Is there a "smarter" way of doing this?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I saw a kid order like $70 worth of gummy bears off of Amazon to weigh down his pack for a ruck run once.

Most other people used textbooks and water, though. If you've got weight plates those are nice and you know exactly how much they weigh.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
a sandbag wrapped in duct tape
a weight plate
your pokemon card collection

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

clone yourself, so once you loose weight you can deadlift your old fat clone.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

All my pokemon cards are at my parents place.

but I have a ton of useless text books so that'll work out just fine.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

If you don't know how to pack a ruck right, you're in for a bad time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Jesus Christ this. Don't be that dude throwing 80 lbs in all willy nilly right before a 12 mile ruck

You gotta balance the weight out, walk around with it, find your center of gravity, etc. at least you have the luxury now of not having cumbersome poo poo. Having a loving sand bag brick at the bottom of an assault pack bobbing around while you're ruck running sucks

I always cinched all straps tight and would slowly loosen them as I went as I got that lovely pinch in my shoulder blades. Rinse/repeat

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm pretty confident with my packing skills. The plan is to start out very light and slow, maybe 40 lbs in the beginning and doing no more than 3-4 miles for the first month and building up from there

Shouldn't be an issue, I just didn't want to use a dumbbell because its concentrated weight. The idea of using books allows for a better distribution of the weight and I can incrementally increase or decrease it as I see fit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don't remember your history and pardon me if you're some infantry salt dog or something but packing and adjusting the fitting on a ruck is an art in itself

You learn real quick when you're on a forced march and that bitch has just too much weight on one side. Love the back spasms

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I read somewhere that that the sweetspot for the average person on weight in a ruck for fitness is 35 lbs. Obviously, most of us here have rucked way more than that, but the point is above that you start factoring in long term damage to your back for doing.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I was a cav scout so rucking isn't foreign to me. I have no real plans to do anything terribly long or large volume rucking, I just want to become re adapted to having a pack on my body.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I just ruck once a week with 35lbs in a ruck (not assault style pack). I'm 5'7 and weight 140. No loving way am I carrying anymore than 35 extra pounds on my body unless I'm rucking in flight gear with ballistic plates in.

Distance: I walk until I get bored, or I have to take a poo poo. Normally 5ish miles. Nothing crazy.

I give major props to those of you that get more than 60lbs strapped on. I physically cannot handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Endbuster posted:

I just ruck once a week with 35lbs in a ruck (not assault style pack). I'm 5'7 and weight 140. No loving way am I carrying anymore than 35 extra pounds on my body unless I'm rucking in flight gear with ballistic plates in.

Distance: I walk until I get bored, or I have to take a poo poo. Normally 5ish miles. Nothing crazy.

I give major props to those of you that get more than 60lbs strapped on. I physically cannot handle it.

i saw guys smaller than you hump more weight, you would be surprised what your body is capable of