Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

But there's not an actual increased demand for the card so it's not like anyone is benefiting from it. It's literally just price memory on a card people aren't buying.

Despite there not being much demand, it fucks over the same demand that was before (EDH, collectors, randoms who just want it for whatever reason). At least, that's how I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Serperoth posted:

Despite there not being much demand, it fucks over the same demand that was before (EDH, collectors, randoms who just want it for whatever reason). At least, that's how I see it.

Yeah, and that does suck although I tend to find it pretty easy to get that stuff for cheaper than list since nobody is actually buying it. If you don't like to haggle or don't know the price history on stuff and just go by tcg prices you're gonna get hosed by this stuff, which is lovely.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

rabidsquid posted:

But there's not an actual increased demand for the card so it's not like anyone is benefiting from it. It's literally just price memory on a card people aren't buying.

You can affect the price by changing the supply or the demand

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

alansmithee posted:

You can affect the price by changing the supply or the demand

I think you're vastly underestimating the amount of cards sitting around in warehouses. Outside of old cards or p3k stuff I don't think this is realistically going to happen.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

rabidsquid posted:

I think you're vastly underestimating the amount of cards sitting around in warehouses. Outside of old cards or p3k stuff I don't think this is realistically going to happen.

The amount that exists isn't the issue, it's the amount available for sale--there's a lot of diamonds in the earth, but they're, y'know, in the earth, which doesn't do anyone much good. Cards in a random box in a kitchen table player's collection may as well not exist.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I was only talking about cards owned by major retailers.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You guys realize that you should be able to walk into a lgs and haggle right? If I needed a play set of secluded glen I am confident I could get it for less pre-spike price in stores that have them.

Hell, now is probably a great time to pick up pricy playsets for big discounts.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 31, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

You guys realize that you should be able to walk into a lgs and haggle right? If I needed a play set of secluded glen I am confident I could get it for less pre-spike price in stores that have them.

And if the store doesn't haggle?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

And if the store doesn't haggle?

There is nothing you can do about stores that are run by morons.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That's actually a cool card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Buy our allies

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hey! Lookit' dat. Non-lovely flavor text.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Count Bleck posted:

I just happen to have a random Eye of Ugin sitting in my binder. Nice.

I ended up getting one a while back for something like $2 so that is going straight on TCG to ride the hype train.

I had 6-7 Eldrazi Temples from MM15 and it looks like they were in the pile of bulk that I sold off a couple months back :negative:

fake edit: I'm not into #mtg finance, but I will absolutely take advantage of something like this if the cards are lying around.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

This by itself might be enough to make Allies playable, though it's gonna be loving terrifying with Eldrazi decks too.

It's like a poor man's Coat of Arms.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Coat Without Arms

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Voyager I posted:

This by itself might be enough to make Allies playable, though it's gonna be loving terrifying with Eldrazi decks too.

It's like a poor man's Coat of Arms.

equip cost 2 seems too much for that

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

A big flaming stink posted:

Maybe, but I don't think Allies usually has much to do with its mana once their hand is played out.

Not sure about the BG Manland. Deathtouch is not a great ability for a 2/2, but lategame an extra land could very well be worth less than the creature you can trade it for.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I like it, I've been brewing Aristocrats in modern with a human/vampire sub theme that might use this, won't fall off Cartel Aristocrat either.

Also bought Eyes of Ugin a few days ago since that Modern deck looks fun. A spike crossed my mind actually.

Edit: put it on a Changeling!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

A big flaming stink posted:

The problem with equipment is that it has to be overpowered to see play, even in limited (or have an additional playable mechanic attached to it like Living Weapon). I honestly don't even see why they make it outside of artifact themed sets, really.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 31, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with equipment is that it has to be overpowered to see play, even in limited (or have an additional playable mechanic attached to it like Living Weapon). I honestly don't even see why they make it outside of artifact themed sets, really.

What do you mean by "overpowered"? For instance, Trusty Machete was great in Zen limited and Adventuring Gear was still pretty good

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I think they serve a purpose in limited, making small top deck creatures more relevant so players don't get shut out by sweepers or removal heavy decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

What do you mean by "overpowered"? For instance, Trusty Machete was great in Zen limited and Adventuring Gear was still pretty good

I mean like Bonesplitter. But even Trusty Machete is like 1 equip cost off of just being Bonesplitter and they don't print stuff like that much. I mean, I don't know that Butcher's Cleaver on an Invisible Stalker really counts because that's just a cute combo. It's not like Butcher's Cleaver was particularly good unless you were doing crap like that.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 31, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean like Bonesplitter.

So how do you feel about Trusty Machete and Adventuring Gear?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

How many creatures of the same type do you need to control for this to be good? Four?

If drafting an all-allies deck is actually possible and good, this could be as good as Ghostfire Blade was in Limited.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
p sure sfm has done better

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Why is New Kozilek $13?

Is it because of the weird mana cost, or do people not like to speculate on huge creatures?

He is, when cast, an uncounterable hand refill, and if he makes it into play, your hand is full of lands or counterspells...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

If there are good common ally token makers it should be good in limited. I would say the magic number is 4 (so +3/+3)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Why is New Kozilek $13?

Is it because of the weird mana cost, or do people not like to speculate on huge creatures?

He is, when cast, an uncounterable hand refill, and if he makes it into play, your hand is full of lands or counterspells...

Because the ramp deck that would play him only really wants him as a replacement for when Ulamog gets hit by Infinite Obliteration.

Linvala being $12 in preorder is just as mystifying to me. I mean, casual appeal, okay, but how many people are pre-ordering big flashy limited bombs to play at the kitchen table? The only thing I even bothered to get was Goblin Dark-Dwellers because they obviously rule and cost 2 dollars.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 31, 2015

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Because the ramp deck that would play him only really wants him as a replacement for when Ulamog gets hit by Infinite Obliteration.

Linvala being $12 in preorder is just as mystifying to me. I mean, casual appeal, okay, but how many people are pre-ordering big flashy limited bombs to play at the kitchen table?

That one I think is because she fits into a UW control deck very well.

Hard to remove, split between two bodies, one being a 5/5, one being a 3/3 .

You will be down on life v any aggro deck or midrange deck.

You will be down on creatures v any aggro or midrange deck.

The odds of both of her abilities being on is pretty high. 8 flying power and gaining 5 life can save you a lot of the time, and 6 mana in this standard isn't that crazy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It seems to play directly against the usual control strategy of wiping the board before playing your finisher though.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Well, you wipe the board, they rebuild, then you rebuild "better" maybe?

Does Linvala count herself in her ability? Like if they have one bear, do you not get angel buddy?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hey can't you use Deceiver of Form with that tutor Eldrazi to put Emrakul/Ulamog on top of your library

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hey can't you use Deceiver of Form with that tutor Eldrazi to put Emrakul/Ulamog on top of your library

Isn't that a plauge wind on yourself given the legendary clause? (e: I mean assuming attacking with a single Ulamog isn't good enough)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Gensuki posted:

Well, you wipe the board, they rebuild, then you rebuild "better" maybe?

Does Linvala count herself in her ability? Like if they have one bear, do you not get angel buddy?

I think that's right yeah. I'd rather have Wingate Roc for now, but maybe she'll appeal more post rotation?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

It seems to play directly against the usual control strategy of wiping the board before playing your finisher though.

Well, you wipe the board on 4 or 5 mana, then when you get to 6 mana and play this, you get a bonus if they'd started to rebuild. If they didn't significantly repopulate their board since you wrathed, then you're probably also pretty happy with that situation. The only reason to be unhappy with Linvala in these sorts of situations is if they played exactly one threat that, by itself, outmatches a 5/5 flier that also comes with five free life, which is possible...

Will it be the best candidate for the role rather than just being one you're rarely unhappy with? I have no idea.

efb by Gensuki

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Isn't that a plauge wind on yourself given the legendary clause? (e: I mean assuming attacking with a single Ulamog isn't good enough)

If you're punching with a 15/15 Spellskite I'm not sure you care

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Saying Oath of Jace just puts "Ace of Bass" in my head.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Stoneforge Masterwork might be playable in a standard goblins deck with lots o' tokens. Shame about all those sweepers in format though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can also exile your opponent's entire board with Bane of Bala Ged.

• Locked thread