Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Is that a serious real book? Because it sounds like a spoof, I mean come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

48 hour work week?! Think of all the overtime that you'd wrack up! Nuclear holocaust can't come soon enough! Think of the awesome vacation you'd be able to take with all that extra money!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That passage is legitimately funny. Talk about continuity of government...

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

This article is pretty much a must-read if you're the least bit interested in the Sentinelese:

The Last Island of the Savages

Been catching up on this thread and wanted to post that this is a fascinating article but is it missing the rest of it? It sort of just ends

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Basticle posted:

Been catching up on this thread and wanted to post that this is a fascinating article but is it missing the rest of it? It sort of just ends

I think that's how it ends, unfortunately. Unless they left out the ending on purpose, AFAIK it's a reprint of a magazine article.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Rondette posted:

Continuity-of-government stuff is a neverending rabbit hole of depressing hilarity. You can spend days sifting through the reams of material output on the theme of What To Do After Nuclear War.

Even the most optimistic assessments I've read basically state "it will take decades to recover to pre-attack conditions". (Of course, the pessimistic ones are "Well, we're all hosed, but for gods sake don't tell the civilians that.")

If you're interested, look for government depositories near you -- where the government deposits copies of various documents. They'll probably have all the nuclear war material you could ever want, and then some.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I grabbed a copy of that book from my local library. Looking forward to reading it.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

shelley posted:

Even the most optimistic assessments I've read basically state "it will take decades to recover to pre-attack conditions". (Of course, the pessimistic ones are "Well, we're all hosed, but for gods sake don't tell the civilians that.")

Very similar to assessments about what would happen following a gigantic solar flare.

One almost hit the earth in July 2012 without anyone really knowing and NASA released a press statement 2 years later basically saying "LOL that was close guys!"
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

quote:

July 23, 2014: If an asteroid big enough to knock modern civilization back to the 18th century appeared out of deep space and buzzed the Earth-Moon system, the near-miss would be instant worldwide headline news.
Two years ago, Earth experienced a close shave just as perilous, but most newspapers didn't mention it. The "impactor" was an extreme solar storm, the most powerful in as much as 150+ years.

quote:

"I have come away from our recent studies more convinced than ever that Earth and its inhabitants were incredibly fortunate that the 2012 eruption happened when it did," says Baker. "If the eruption had occurred only one week earlier, Earth would have been in the line of fire.

quote:

Analysts believe that a direct hit by an extreme CME such as the one that missed Earth in July 2012 could cause widespread power blackouts, disabling everything that plugs into a wall socket. Most people wouldn't even be able to flush their toilet because urban water supplies largely rely on electric pumps.

quote:

In February 2014, physicist Pete Riley of Predictive Science Inc. published a paper in Space Weather entitled "On the probability of occurrence of extreme space weather events." In it, he analyzed records of solar storms going back 50+ years. By extrapolating the frequency of ordinary storms to the extreme, he calculated the odds that a Carrington-class storm would hit Earth in the next ten years.

The answer: 12%.

"Initially, I was quite surprised that the odds were so high, but the statistics appear to be correct," says Riley. "It is a sobering figure."

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rondette posted:

Its a real book, I have it but haven't read it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Day-After-World-War/dp/0670258806

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Also check out The Day After, the hugely controversial 1983 TV movie about a nuclear war. It is relatively realistic and grim. It apparently helped to change Reagan's mind about nuclear weapons. I think Mrs Thatcher attempted to prevent it being shown on British tv because she believed that nuclear weapons were the only defense against Soviet invasion of Europe and that the film would make more people anti-nuclear.

You can find the film on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZhjpHYjZpc

Here is the Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After

I can recommend it but it isn't a light watch..... :(

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
A cruise ship elevator repairman forgot to lock the elevator before working on it, so someone decided to use it, and, well, this happened (graphic):

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/12/31/carnival-crewmember-elevator-accident-death-florida-pkg.wftx

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

A cruise ship elevator repairman forgot to lock the elevator before working on it, so someone decided to use it, and, well, this happened (graphic):

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/12/31/carnival-crewmember-elevator-accident-death-florida-pkg.wftx
That's horrifying but loving hell I hate modern news reporting, everyone involved in that is kind of a piece of poo poo from the guy filming the incident (it was like from The Shining, you don't say) to the reporter talking about a man's gruesome death in a sing-songy reporter voice.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

That's horrifying but loving hell I hate modern news reporting, everyone involved in that is kind of a piece of poo poo from the guy filming the incident (it was like from The Shining, you don't say) to the reporter talking about a man's gruesome death in a sing-songy reporter voice.

Its nothing new. I seem to remember reporters shoving camera's into family member's faces after some sort of terrorist situation or something in the 70's literal seconds after they had found out that all of the hostages were killed.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'm 100% not watching that, but can someone describe it in words?

edit: or is the video just of people describing what happened? I'm guessing CNN isn't big into gore videos but I don't want to be wrong.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

effervescible posted:

I'm 100% not watching that, but can someone describe it in words?

An elevator smooshed a guy. There are gory pictures with blood dripping from the ceiling. It is gross and sensational and not even really newsworthy except for the gore.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Oh jeez. Glad I didn't click on it then. Thanks.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I don't know what possesses people to to whip out the camera when they witness the aftermath of someone's brutal death but tbh I don't think a guy who saw a traumatic thing is a "piece of poo poo" for using a common cultural reference to try to describe the horror of what he saw. Are people who describe natural disasters as being "of biblical proportions" pieces of poo poo, too?

And the reporter's talking that way because it's literally her job to be consistent and unemotional while reading the news.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RNG posted:

An elevator smooshed a guy. There are gory pictures with blood dripping from the ceiling. It is gross and sensational and not even really newsworthy except for the gore.

Everything is news worthy if its captured on video. Thats why all day yesterday we got to watch Mike Tyson fall off a hoverboard.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

sinking belle posted:

I don't know what possesses people to to whip out the camera when they witness the aftermath of someone's brutal death but tbh I don't think a guy who saw a traumatic thing is a "piece of poo poo" for using a common cultural reference to try to describe the horror of what he saw. Are people who describe natural disasters as being "of biblical proportions" pieces of poo poo, too?
Honestly, I don't see the problem with whipping out a camera when you see something hosed-up and scary, especially if there are no other witnesses around. If nothing else, it's a good way to preserve evidence of what happened for any investigation that follows.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The little half-smile he has while being interviewed is kinda weird but yeah.

Pastey
Jun 17, 2005
Some old crap, different roll of tissue

Solice Kirsk posted:

Its nothing new. I seem to remember reporters shoving camera's into family member's faces after some sort of terrorist situation or something in the 70's literal seconds after they had found out that all of the hostages were killed.

I remember being disgusted watching reporters do this to the families of the victims of the Lockerbie bombing. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Most of the families were waiting at or had just arrived at the airport if I remember right when the announcement came through that there were no survivors. Cue jackal-faced reporters shoving mics into the melting faces of mothers / fathers / sisters / brothers who had just learned their loved ones were scattered all over the Scottish countryside. Even worse, a large group of those dead were a high school class on a trip.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pastey posted:

I remember being disgusted watching reporters do this to the families of the victims of the Lockerbie bombing. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Most of the families were waiting at or had just arrived at the airport if I remember right when the announcement came through that there were no survivors. Cue jackal-faced reporters shoving mics into the melting faces of mothers / fathers / sisters / brothers who had just learned their loved ones were scattered all over the Scottish countryside. Even worse, a large group of those dead were a high school class on a trip.

That's exactly it. Pretty sure it was from this thread too.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's exactly it. Pretty sure it was from this thread too.

It's totally cool to hide behind "I was only doing my job," as long as you're willing to admit that you chose that job and would feel completely disadvantaged doing anything else.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This made the rounds of the internet when it was new, but I'm not sure it's been in this thread and it certainly belongs here. From 2013, Reuters' investigative series into the widespread practice of "rehoming" adopted children, especially from international adoptions: http://www.reuters.com/investigates/adoption/#article/part1

quote:

Through Yahoo and Facebook groups, parents and others advertise the unwanted children and then pass them to strangers with little or no government scrutiny, sometimes illegally, a Reuters investigation has found. It is a largely lawless marketplace. Often, the children are treated as chattel, and the needs of parents are put ahead of the welfare of the orphans they brought to America.

The practice is called "private re-homing," a term typically used by owners seeking new homes for their pets. Based on solicitations posted on one of eight similar online bulletin boards, the parallels are striking.

"Born in October of 2000 – this handsome boy, 'Rick' was placed from India a year ago and is obedient and eager to please," one ad for a child read.

A woman who said she is from Nebraska offered an 11-year-old boy she had adopted from Guatemala. "I am totally ashamed to say it but we do truly hate this boy!" she wrote in a July 2012 post.

Another parent advertised a child days after bringing her to America. "We adopted an 8-year-old girl from China… Unfortunately, We are now struggling having been home for 5 days." The parent asked that others share the ad "with anyone you think may be interested."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

RNG posted:

It's totally cool to hide behind "I was only doing my job," as long as you're willing to admit that you chose that job and would feel completely disadvantaged doing anything else.
I know a guy who used to be a small-town reporter - small enough that he was also a photographer. He's a kind, sensitive guy. Always concerned about the right thing to do and concerned about the welfare of the people in the news stories he writes. He told me about a car wreck he covered as a reporter. The car was full of teenagers driving recklessly at night, and they'd gone off the road and rammed into something - I can't remember what, maybe a building? - at high speeds while one kid had her head stuck out a window. The results were gruesome, as you might imagine. He was taking a million pictures, as you're taught to do, getting up close, trying different angles, zooming in on key focal points of the scene, when he glanced up and noticed the parents of the girl whose head had been crushed standing there glaring at him. He quit taking pictures and made a point of not using any of the graphic ones he'd taken.

My point is, sometimes even really nice people can get tunnel vision when they're doing a job, especially when they're used to seeing a lot of disturbing things. It's easy to forget when you're immersed in breaking news that you're wading into the middle of other people's personal tragedies.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

I know a guy who used to be a small-town reporter - small enough that he was also a photographer. He's a kind, sensitive guy. Always concerned about the right thing to do and concerned about the welfare of the people in the news stories he writes. He told me about a car wreck he covered as a reporter. The car was full of teenagers driving recklessly at night, and they'd gone off the road and rammed into something - I can't remember what, maybe a building? - at high speeds while one kid had her head stuck out a window. The results were gruesome, as you might imagine. He was taking a million pictures, as you're taught to do, getting up close, trying different angles, zooming in on key focal points of the scene, when he glanced up and noticed the parents of the girl whose head had been crushed standing there glaring at him. He quit taking pictures and made a point of not using any of the graphic ones he'd taken.

My point is, sometimes even really nice people can get tunnel vision when they're doing a job, especially when they're used to seeing a lot of disturbing things. It's easy to forget when you're immersed in breaking news that you're wading into the middle of other people's personal tragedies.

Go and watch Nightcrawler also, This guy sounds a bit like the character at the very start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8kYDQan8bw

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

E: On second thought PYF gets enough derails as it is.

Stare-Out has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Dec 31, 2015

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Rondette posted:

Go and watch Nightcrawler also, This guy sounds a bit like the character at the very start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8kYDQan8bw

I didn't like Nightcrawler when I first saw it, but the more I read this thread the more I'm realizing that it really was an excellent movie. It just seemed too unrealistic to me at the time. :(

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

pookel posted:

I work for a small town paper. Thankfully while I've been here nothing spectacularly gross has happened. We've had car wrecks, fires, a plane crash and a handful of murders, but thanks to our shoddy funding, we don't have the manpower to be out at 3 a.m. and no one forces the issue.

That said, there is no doubt about it that our best selling issues are about crime. People complain that we don't have feel-good stuff - we do and often - but they are the same folks who buy stacks about robberies and share our Facebook when the local spa is busted for the workers offering happy endings.

As mentioned, media used to be a whole lot worse about intrusion. Gory pictures were all over the place (and articles; our paper used to be loaded with front page out-of-state stories on mass murders) and it wasn't just news outlets. Read some old archives and you'll find traveling exhibitions, such as the purported Bonnie and Clyde death car, filled with bullet holes. I guess traveling circus human exhibitions fall into that category as well.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

Pastey posted:

Even worse, a large group of those dead were a high school class on a trip.

My aunt was the travel agent who arranged that trip and booked those tickets. After the disaster she emigrated to Australia and had a nervous breakdown.

:smith:

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Pastey posted:

I made the mistake of watching the clip when it was posted before and learnt the two most gut-wrenching words in the English language..."my baby" :(

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

This made the rounds of the internet when it was new, but I'm not sure it's been in this thread and it certainly belongs here. From 2013, Reuters' investigative series into the widespread practice of "rehoming" adopted children, especially from international adoptions: http://www.reuters.com/investigates/adoption/#article/part1

I can't find it now but I remember reading an article about an American woman (couple?) adopting a Chinese toddler with severe emotional problems and not being able to cope. Her issues were way too much for them to take care of and one day after she found the girl smearing her feces on the walls the mother snapped and killed her. It was really harrowing to read because the woman came off as a totally normal person who was so overwhelmed by the situation that she just snapped. There's a Google story about a Spanish couple that murdered their Chinese daughter in Oct that's obscuring Google results so I'm not sure how else to find it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
When it comes to media and reporters and such it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Reporters/media will report on disgusting poo poo, people will watch disgusting poo poo in droves, meaning the media will report more on disgusting poo poo. As long as people are willing to watch and talk about disgusting poo poo they saw on the news, the news will continue to report on disgusting poo poo.
At least there was some backlash to this nowadays when some reporters went into a shooters house after the San Banardino shooting and filmed everything in the house like a bunch of idiotic vultures.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Madkal posted:

When it comes to media and reporters and such it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Reporters/media will report on disgusting poo poo, people will watch disgusting poo poo in droves, meaning the media will report more on disgusting poo poo. As long as people are willing to watch and talk about disgusting poo poo they saw on the news, the news will continue to report on disgusting poo poo.
At least there was some backlash to this nowadays when some reporters went into a shooters house after the San Banardino shooting and filmed everything in the house like a bunch of idiotic vultures.

I think I remember reading about how they broadcasted one of the shooters' mother's license on TV for all to see.

Found a link: http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/4/9850470/san-bernardino-shooting-cable-news-mother-doxx

quote:

The most controversial moment arrived when an MSNBC crew obtained a driver's license belonging to Farook's mother, who was not involved in the shooting and has not been accused of any crime. Displaying the license to the camera, crews revealed her birthday, height, weight, full name, and address, potentially endangering her safety should anyone seek retribution for the attack.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Nckdictator posted:

Excerpt from Ed Zuckerman's early 1980's book The Day After World War III

http://aliciapatterson.org/stories/corporate-civil-defense

That book is amazing and creepy as gently caress

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I just binged on this thread start to finish over the last couple of days.

I, uh, I don't recommend such a condensed pace.

For content: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34857015

Basically all of our antibiotics will become ineffective and medicine will regress to pre-penicillin levels.

:smith:

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I think Mrs Thatcher attempted to prevent it being shown on British tv because she believed that nuclear weapons were the only defense against Soviet invasion of Europe and that the film would make more people anti-nuclear.
Ironic if true, because the BBC's Threads, which aired the next year, was so unrelentingly bleak it made The Day After look like a two-hour-long YouTube video of kittens frolicking in a meadow.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I don't think any of the planners really believed that there would be any semblance of society left after a nuclear war. There was a review of Herman Kahn's On Thermonuclear War which essentially said that his attempt to portray a 'winning' (winning is a bit of a stretch, since even his best case scenarios involved a lot of dead people) nuclear strategy was a strategy in itself. By convincing your own populace that a nuclear war was survivable, you simultaneously convinced the enemy that your own country believes it could survive a nuclear war, and so making it seem more likely (to the enemy) that your own country would preemptively strike first (against hostile maneuvers, i.e. Cuban Missile Crisis) even in the face of a guaranteed counter-strike, or counter-strike against an enemy's first-strike even though your country probably would not be around to see the results of that retaliation.

So counter-intuitively, arguing that a nuclear war was survivable (even at great cost), or otherwise making gestures that would imply it--building fallout shelters to 'duck and cover', was itself a strategy to reduce the possibility of nuclear war.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

pookel posted:

I didn't mean to come off so snappy, sorry. Some folks enter professions that involve a lot of morally grey choices and handwave them away with "just doing my job."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Pastey posted:

In that same vein:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierre_coach_crash

This happened back in 2012. The cause of the crash still hasn't been determined. Back then I was a Red Cross volunteer, and a few of us went to one of the schools where memorial stuff and a registry was set up to help out where needed, and a lot of people showed up to mourn. Media(both national and international) was present in full force, and pretty much jamming cameras and mics in front of grieving people for interviews or questions, often not even giving them a chance to say no. The memorial ceremony a week later was even worse with this apparently. I get that you want coverage, but there's no need to force yourself onto people paying their respects.