Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Solfrann posted:

I watched this move again today, with a much more critical mindset:
The scene where rey and ren are separated by the chasm....this is going to be a hugely significant scene in later movies. It reeks of symbolism.
General Hux. I hate this character. He's a snarky, overly cocky little bitch. Seriously, this is the leader of the First Order's military? WTF
Rey has to be a skywalker. Way too much points to this. I think the question is whether or not she is Luke's or Leia's. (Or both...but, ya know, disney).
The resistance is there to fight evil. Maz is clear about this, that the current major evil is the First Order and Snoke.
Snoke is an interesting guy. He seems really, really old, and beat to poo poo. Yoda's line "when 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not" comes to mind.
Also..."there is another skywalker"
What if Obi-Wan "lied" again. What if the other skywallker was not Leia, but Rey (who probably came from Leia).
Also, there is an awkward amount of man-crushing between Poe and Finn. I'm not against man crushing, but its the only relationship that seems forced.

Rey is like 20 years old and this movie takes place about 30 years after the battle of Endor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's harder to get a stance of where The Force Awakens stands on droid rights. Rey is obviously the Skywalker successor here what with instinctively and casually treating BB-8 as a person while those around her treat him as scrap. Poe calls him "buddy," and Kylo is flatly incredulous when he's told he stole a ship. But there's nothing like the interior of the sandcrawler hold, the droid scanner in the cantina, Jabba's torturer, or Ewoks worshipping C-3PO, let alone droid armies and factories and Dexter Jettster trashing his own droid staff. There's not even so much as a "He's quite clever, you know. For a human being."

It has got R2-D2 straight-up using the Force more explicitly than ever before, which is a pretty important symbol for robo-liberation, but in general, there's so little comment on droids in specific or in general that I must conclude the film depicts a society in which droids are invisible, from the perspective of those who fail to see them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

It has got R2-D2 straight-up using the Force more explicitly than ever before,

When did this happen?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

When did this happen?

When he senses Rey showing up at the base.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

How is that force use?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He senses Rey's presence in the same way Vader sense Luke's, he doesn't actually have a midiclorian scanning device set up to let him know when a Force user enters the building

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A Steampunk Gent posted:

He senses Rey's presence in the same way Vader sense Luke's, he doesn't actually have a midiclorian scanning device set up to let him know when a Force user enters the building

Or he used a technological scanner, instead of a mystical one? There's zero evidence that R2 is using he force, and there's textual evidence that non organics wouldn't be able to use it at all anyway

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

Or he used a technological scanner, instead of a mystical one? There's zero evidence that R2 is using he force, and there's textual evidence that non organics wouldn't be able to use it at all anyway

While meditating in "low-power mode"?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bongo Bill posted:

in general, there's so little comment on droids in specific or in general that I must conclude the film depicts a society in which droids are invisible, from the perspective of those who fail to see them.

Or maybe they just didn't want to spend money and time filming scenes about droids that don't move the plot forward.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Luke obviously is so force powerful that he gave R2 the force too. That's what that scene was with Luke touching R2 was about.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Literally the first thing we're shown is Rey being a scavenger, her "theft" from another scavenger involves freeing a distressed droid from slavery or dismantling (if TFA were a George Lucas film this action would be immediately praised for its connotations WRT droid rights).

Note that Rey still considers "selling" BB8 for the impressive 60-food tablets that Simon Pegg offers her. She moves to take the offering and stops in mid-gesture, I forgot if its in reaction to a sad beep, a sight of something uncanny, or just a non-visualized pang of second-thought guilt. In those odd seconds that she was about to sell it, she was a "thief", for she's surrendering BB8 to probably the same fate of the scavenger she took it from.

Some might argue that this is pointless as she does redeem herself by stopping the transaction, but if BB8 was a human or humanoid messenger they would have never included her initial gesture of accepting payment without tarnishing her character.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

crowoutofcontext posted:

I forgot if its in reaction to a sad beep, a sight of something uncanny, or just a non-visualized pang of second-thought guilt. In those odd seconds that she was about to sell it

there wasn't anything explicit, really--BB8 just kinda cocks his head like a dog in a :confused: way

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Luke obviously is so force powerful that he gave R2 the force too. That's what that scene was with Luke touching R2 was about.

Do you have anything to support this besides "Luke touches R2"?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I've changed my mind about Rey being a Skywalker, I think she won't be but there will be some other meaningful connection. It seems to me that the Skywalker family can't get away from Vader's shadow, and that Rey would be an unlikely prodigy that could truly bring balance to the force with Luke's guidance. Or something.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I though R2D2 was reacting to BB8's arrival and not some force-induced reaction to Rey's arrival. The two droids had two parts of the same map program in them, as soon as BB8 enters the base they sync up and we see some straight up Bluetooth fuckery go down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

crowoutofcontext posted:

I though R2D2 was reacting to BB8's arrival and not some force-induced reaction to Rey's arrival. The two droids had two parts of the same map program in them, as soon as BB8 enters the base they sync up and we see some straight up Bluetooth fuckery go down.

No, because BB8 had the map the first time they got back to the Rebel base. Rey is the only new component.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Bongo Bill posted:

While meditating in "low-power mode"?

That's one hell of a reach you have there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Note that Rey still considers "selling" BB8 for the impressive 60-food tablets that Simon Pegg offers her. She moves to take the offering and stops in mid-gesture, I forgot if its in reaction to a sad beep, a sight of something uncanny, or just a non-visualized pang of second-thought guilt. In those odd seconds that she was about to sell it, she was a "thief", for she's surrendering BB8 to probably the same fate of the scavenger she took it from.

Some might argue that this is pointless as she does redeem herself by stopping the transaction, but if BB8 was a human or humanoid messenger they would have never included her initial gesture of accepting payment without tarnishing her character.

Maybe she should have gone all "Alright, then, I'll go to hell."

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

computer parts posted:

No, because BB8 had the map the first time they got back to the Rebel base. Rey is the only new component.

BB8 doesn't interact with R2D2 until around the time Rey happens to arrive.

Also, J.J Abrams seems to suggest robotic communication over any sort of "R2D2 feels the Force" explanation:

J.J Abrams posted:

BB-8 comes up and says something to him, which is basically, ‘I’ve got this piece of a map, do you happen to have the rest?' The idea was, R2 who has been all over the galaxy, is still in his coma, but he hears this. And it triggers something that would ultimately wake him up.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/J-J-Abrams-Explains-R2-D2-Introduction-Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-101197.html

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

crowoutofcontext posted:

BB8 doesn't interact with R2D2 until around the time Rey happens to arrive.

BB8 is the one that pulled the cloth off of R2D2 in the first place.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

He just detected and connected to the light saber. All he's been waiting for was a non-secured wifi hotspot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

crowoutofcontext posted:

I interpreted the gesture not as starting to accept the payment, but as being startled by the size of it. It's more food than she's ever seen in one place.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

That's one hell of a reach you have there.

If he's not meditating, then what is he doing?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

tetrapyloctomy posted:

He just detected and connected to the light saber. All he's been waiting for was a non-secured wifi hotspot.

Finn had the lightsaber when he arrived. R2 was waiting for Rey.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

BB8 even tries to talk to R2 and bonks into it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lightsaber's wifi was biometrically locked when It was close to Rey's biological signature It turned on.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

computer parts posted:

Yet fails to vocalize "I got the map, wake up", waiting for a far more convenient narrative beat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

crowoutofcontext posted:

Yet fails to vocalize "I got the map, wake up", waiting for a far more convenient narrative beat.

Bb8 definitely says something, he purrs or whatever.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Judging by C-3PO's response, BB-8 was probably specifically inquiring about anything that could help complete the map.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

"At any point" is stretching it. The only reason she and Finn manage to hijack the piece of junk is because the town is being strafed and there's total chaos.

We're told outright that Rey has flown spaceships before, but chose to never leave the atmosphere. Even when she's off the planet, she chooses to go back. (The blobby Simon Pegg character doesn't exactly have airtight security anyways. He let Rey work on the ship.)

Calling Rey a victim is a total misreading of her character. Rey chooses to live in the junkyard because she believes her self-punishment will eventually be rewarded.

And anyways, this is moving away from the point that the film's depiction of poverty promotes feudalist ideology. King and peasant have their place in this film, and Rey is not where she should be. Rey's ascendancy is akin to Divine Right, and the Resistance has no trace of support by the people (e.g. the 'scum' on Jakku).

If we look at what the Resistance stands for, we do not see egalitarian justice, revolutionary terror, voluntarism, or trust in the people. This is because, of course, the Resistance are reactionaries.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I liked how she didn't tally groups of five in her wall count.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

euphronius posted:

I liked how she didn't tally groups of five in her wall count.

No one taught her to do that :smith:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also seeing it again Rens mask is gone gone gone. can't wait to see his new one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

euphronius posted:

Also seeing it again Rens mask is gone gone gone. can't wait to see his new one.

Yeah I mentioned it before, I hope his new mask (if he has one) is based off this design:

since part of his face got sliced up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just saw it in imax and his face wasn't so bad off.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bongo Bill posted:

Fishing. He just can't catch any big gain though, not unless he waits to get a sequel hook.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Is your phone "meditating" when you turn on Airplane mode? Is your PC "meditating" when it shuts off the screen?

R2-D2 was in low-power mode. Sleeping, as it were, if you want to attribute an equivalent biological expression.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He had to be... awakened.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

jivjov posted:

Is your phone "meditating" when you turn on Airplane mode? Is your PC "meditating" when it shuts off the screen?

R2-D2 was in low-power mode. Sleeping, as it were, if you want to attribute an equivalent biological expression.

Ok, so then he's dreaming. Which, like meditation, is always associated with premonition/scrying in Star Wars.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Ok, so then he's dreaming. Which, like meditation, is always associated with premonition/scrying in Star Wars.

Good lord. It's a droid. The droid was in low power mode. What is it about this concept that is making you guys turn this into some grand portent? Does your laptop dream when you close the lid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Looks like this thread is full of droid racists

• Locked thread