Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Good lord. It's a droid. The droid was in low power mode. What is it about this concept that is making you guys turn this into some grand portent? Does your laptop dream when you close the lid?

Anti-droid bigotry is bad. Droids are people too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Droids are unlike real-world computers, in that they are people.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Good lord. It's a droid. The droid was in low power mode. What is it about this concept that is making you guys turn this into some grand portent? Does your laptop dream when you close the lid?

Your talking about the hero of the battle of Naboo buddy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

euphronius posted:

I just saw it in imax and his face wasn't so bad off.

Maybe he's ashamed of the scar Rey gave him.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I would totally kick it with R2.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Beeez posted:

Yep. Finn's similarity to Han is further pronounced, too, because he was brought up in a culture of violent outlaws but still manages to learn to care about other people.

Finn shows big similarities to R2D2 in that he gets way hosed up in the final battle and one of the last scenes is some guy saying they can fix him.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

nerdbot posted:

Finn shows big similarities to R2D2 in that he gets way hosed up in the final battle and one of the last scenes is some guy saying they can fix him.

Maybe if John Boyega lives long enough, in 2177 he'll film a scene where Finn and R2-D2 are recounting the saga to the Whills.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Droids are unlike real-world computers, in that they are people.

And not everyone who takes a nap is communing with the Force

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Then what's your explanation for a (decades-long) "nap" ending at exactly the right time? In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Bongo Bill posted:

I interpreted the gesture not as starting to accept the payment, but as being startled by the size of it. It's more food than she's ever seen in one place.

Alternatively, like a lot of the scenes that were Rey vs Aggressor, she had a very quick mental narrative that reflects some larger part of the Star Wars. She is offered more food than she's ever been offered, calculates that it would give her 162 notches on her wall or whatever, and decides it isn't worth it. Maybe it's seeing the old woman that is her best case if she lives a long time on Jakku, maybe it's knowing that BB-8 is a person and she shouldn't be selling it, maybe she just thought what would she even do with that much free time? The point is that she decided either her labour or BB-8s freedom is worth more than the capitalist valued them at, a step towards her leaving that conception and becoming a Good Guy.

I'm honestly surprised that SMG is so down on the Resistance, because to me the politics of TFA were pretty clear. The Republic has allowed "the cruelty" of the galaxy to thrive, personified by Simon Peggs lazy feudal capitalism, while being ambivalent about the growing facist threat. The Resistance are more like an anti-facist protest movement than anything else, just with X-Wings.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Given the number of callbacks we've had at this point, I kind of wonder if we're going to see somebody piloting the Slave-1 in the future. That was a cool ship.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bongo Bill posted:

It's harder to get a stance of where The Force Awakens stands on droid rights.

Buying and selling droids presented as a temping but immoral choice coupled with the dramatic irony of Finn yelling that he doesn't care what color the droid is, it is just a droid! Makes it pretty clear where the movie stands on droid rights.

My question is about Reptar. How does Rugrats tie into Star Wars? Muppet (babies) I can see, but why Rugrats?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Then what's your explanation for a (decades-long) "nap" ending at exactly the right time? In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.

Presumably we'll hear more about it in VIII; but film evidence suggests he's reacting to the presence of Rey, or possibly Rey and/or Force User + Lightsaber + map piece in conjunction.

Either that or Luke has a transmitter squirreled away at Space Ireland and when he felt Han die he triggered R2 to wake up and send someone to him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I read it as: the force woke him up. It's the title of the movie!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

If he's not meditating, then what is he doing?

Being a robot

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

In the apparent deleted scene, featuring Leia talking to her messenger, the Republic is portrayed as at best filled with myopic opportunists and at worse filled with radicals eager to assassinate her:

Leia posted:

“So much time has passed. There was a time when they were at least willing to listen. And of course, the Senate’s makeup has changed. Some of those who were always willing to pay attention to me have retired. Some of those who have replaced them have their own agendas.” She smiled ruefully. “Not all senators think I’m crazy. Or maybe they do. I don’t care what they think about me as long as they take action.” The emissary nodded. “I’ll do all I can to ensure the Resistance gets the hearing we deserve. But why don’t you go yourself, General? An appeal of this nature is always more effective when delivered firsthand.” Leia’s smile thinned. “I might make it to the Senate, yes. I might even be able to deliver my speech. But I would never, never get out of the Hosnian system alive. I would have a terrible ‘accident,’ or become the victim of some ‘deranged’ radical. Or I would eat something that didn’t agree with me. Or encounter someone who didn’t agree with me.”

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
R2 turned on because of the Force. This isn't Star Trek, we don't need to depolarize the dilithium crystal.

Why did the Lady of the Lake give Arthur the excalibur? Why did she do it when she did? Does the sword in the stone have a lancet on the grip and a next generation sequencer inside the hilt to recognize Arthur? Would knowing that make the authurian legends better?

It feels like second graders talking about how dragons could totally have been real, they just had to have had an extra set of fire lungs. It makes everyone listening feel dumber.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

crowoutofcontext posted:

In the apparent deleted scene, featuring Leia talking to her messenger, the Republic is portrayed as at best filled with myopic opportunists and at worse filled with radicals eager to assassinate her:

The implication there is that Leia fears the First Order assassinating her, not the Republic. (The myopic opportunists thing is totally dead on though.)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

The implication there is that Leia fears the First Order assassinating her, not the Republic. (The myopic opportunists thing is totally dead on though.)

Lol. No.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Being a robot

Droids are unlike real robots. They belong to the tradition of fictional robots, who are people that are used like machines.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
When it was reveled that R2 was in low power mode, the genius woman next to me said aloud in a pleading tone "plug him in."

Beeez
May 28, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

When it was reveled that R2 was in low power mode, the genius woman next to me said aloud in a pleading tone "plug him in."

lol this is amazing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Droids are unlike real robots. They belong to the tradition of fictional robots, who are people that are used like machines.

C3P0 is a house droid and R2D2 is a field droid. Not a joke, but just a statement of their characterization.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Or maybe they just didn't want to spend money and time filming scenes about droids that don't move the plot forward.

These loving star war threads. Comparing these characters to cell phones? God drat.

How many loving times do the fundamentals of cinema poo poo have to be brought up? eg robots and nonhumans in scifi and what they represent! (Bongo Bill said it better a few posts up)

Or how about the movies inspiring the saga? e.g. r2d2 & c3po standing in for the peasants in hidden fortress? many scenes have been filmed across all these movies clearly articulating what's up.

Shbobdb posted:

It feels like second graders talking about how dragons could totally have been real, they just had to have had an extra set of fire lungs. It makes everyone listening feel dumber.

And of course droids can use the force. All you prequel haters should be on board with the point of midichlorians---the old jedi were corrupt, stupid tools---so who needs them?

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 1, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

jivjov posted:

Presumably we'll hear more about it in VIII; but film evidence suggests he's reacting to the presence of Rey, or possibly Rey and/or Force User + Lightsaber + map piece in conjunction.

Either that or Luke has a transmitter squirreled away at Space Ireland and when he felt Han die he triggered R2 to wake up and send someone to him.

Apparently we're all wrong:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

quote:

When they find R2 beneath that dust cloth, the heroes already have a piece of a holographic map, but they lack the larger section of this uncharted region of space that will allow them to track down Luke. That’s where R2 became a useful storytelling device: he could be the missing framework.

The story group’s thinking went back to the 1977 original movie, when R2-D2 accessed the Empire’s mainframe as the heroes searched for the captured Princess Leia. “We had the idea about R2 plugging into the information base of the Death Star, and that’s how he was able to get the full map and find where the Jedi temples are,” Arndt said.

Abrams says he chose to spell this out indirectly in the movie because he didn’t want the story to get bogged down in “how s–t happened 30 years ago.”

“But the idea was that in that scene where R2 plugged in, he downloaded the archives of the Empire, which was referenced by Kylo Ren,” Abrams said. Thirty-eight years later, in both our own and galactic time, that data becomes useful in The Force Awakens when a new droid approaches the dormant R2.

“BB-8 comes up and says something to him, which is basically, ‘I’ve got this piece of a map, do you happen to have the rest?’” Abrams said. “The idea was, R2 who has been all over the galaxy, is still in his coma, but he hears this. And it triggers something that would ultimately wake him up.”

The director acknowledges that R2’s sudden “awakening” at the end was designed to be an emotional storytelling utility: “While it may seem, you know, completely lucky and an easy way out, at that point in the movie, when you’ve lost a person, desperately, and somebody you hopefully care about is unconscious, you want someone to return.”

So for those let wondering: BB-8’s earlier question rattles around inside R2’s dome for a while. Those old astromechs must just take a while to boot up again.

Jeez, guys! Do you need the movie to spell out everything for you? Try using your brain for once. :v:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

From my point of view JJ Abrams is wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Lol. No.

Yes? It's literally putting Leia into the same position as her mother in Attack of the Clones where the act of going to the Republic homeworld makes her a vulnerable target. It is just in this case she sends her 'handmaiden' on her own instead of pulling a bait-and-switch. (And as with AotC said assistant is blown the gently caress up in her place.)

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Beeez posted:

lol this is amazing.

Other highlights included:

-On Adam Driver's unmasking "He's not attractive at all."
-As Rey scrambled up the side of a ditch during the lightsaber duel "Take the high ground!"

Beeez
May 28, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

Other highlights included:

-On Adam Driver's unmasking "He's not attractive at all."
-As Rey scrambled up the side of a ditch during the lightsaber duel "Take the high ground!"

This lady sounds like someone I'd want to watch movies with, so long as I had seen the movie already and she hadn't.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Adam Driver's face is the most visually interesting thing in the movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His twitches and nasal flares in the interrogation scene are top notch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Adam Driver fuckin kills it in this movie, and anybody who thinks he doesn't do an incredible job acting in this film is a right dumbo.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I was impressed with him for sure, and I didn't really have high expectations as I've never seen him in anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Driver absolutely did a great job with a role that had to be stressful as hell because you know a single mistake and you're the new Hayden Christensen.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Lol. "I have a lot of enemies in the decadent new republic senate, enemies who would kill me." really means, "I can't go to the need republic senate because the first order would kill me." The first order doesn't have that kind of ground game. That's why Darth Girls is such a great casting choice. He does a really good job of playing a boy playing a man and trying to discover what that means.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is the New Republic's opinion of the First Order.

Lonno Deso posted:

The Senate Intelligence Committee has reviewed the reports and found them inconclusive, at best grossly overstated, Poe. This is a non-issue. It's a big galaxy. The First Order is a remnant born of a war thirty years gone. Yes, they persist, yes they continue, but by all accounts they do so barely. They are, at best, an ill-organized, poorly equipped, and badly funded group of loyalists that use propaganda and fear to inflate their strength and importance.

I am imagine the New Republic is going to take a different stance in the next movie.

The First Order meanwhile should be super weakened by the loss of Starkiller Base. They don't have the resources or manpower that the empire had so it's loss would be much more major for them, then the Empire losing the Death Star.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
According to the in-canon "Before the Awakening" novelization, the First Order did indeed have members in the Senate.

They're not as big or influential as the Empire was, but the whole point is that they're much more dangerous and organized than the Senate was willing to believe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cnut the Great posted:

Adam Driver's face is the most visually interesting thing in the movie.

It's so good. His and Boyega's faces are so interesting.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Yes? It's literally putting Leia into the same position as her mother in Attack of the Clones where the act of going to the Republic homeworld makes her a vulnerable target. It is just in this case she sends her 'handmaiden' on her own instead of pulling a bait-and-switch. (And as with AotC said assistant is blown the gently caress up in her place.)

Except Padme was in danger of being assassinated because she wanted to avoid military action. Leia is in danger of being assassinated because she's advocating military action.

Kind of a neat reversal there. I wish there was more of this kind of thing in the actual movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

TerminalSaint posted:

Yeah but seriously why didn't they.

• Locked thread